Thursday, August 28, 2014

No. 21 Texas A&M plays No. 9 South Carolina Thursday night at 6 p.m. Eastern as the college football season kicks off. No. 18 Ole Miss faces Boise and No. 19 Arizona State goes against Weber State in the night's other two games involving ranked teams. This is the first season in the sport that will end in a playoff -- four teams will be picked to participate. "It does feel different. The prize out there is just a little bit bigger. But the road doesn't change," said Stanford coach David Shaw.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

Comments

Go Blue!

#1 | Posted by moder8 at 2014-08-28 05:44 PM | Reply | Flag:

Go Blue!

#1 | POSTED BY MODER8

Here's hoping.

I think they're defense will be very good this year - elite is not out of the realm of possibility.

Their O-line is the biggest x-factor and I've seen nothing to suggest it's going to be good.

#2 | Posted by JeffJ at 2014-08-28 05:47 PM | Reply | Flag:

PFFFFFFFFFFT Go Purple EMAW

#3 | Posted by LarryMohr at 2014-08-28 05:59 PM | Reply | Flag:

Very few things can get a blood feud going more than college football rivalries.

Michigan vs OSU is one of the biggest (possibly THE biggest) rivalries in college football.

#4 | Posted by JeffJ at 2014-08-28 06:26 PM | Reply | Flag:

Posted by JeffJ at 2014-08-28 06:26 PM | Reply

I'll raise you KU VS MIZZOU. It's roots date back to the civil war.

en.wikipedia.org

#5 | Posted by LarryMohr at 2014-08-28 06:30 PM | Reply | Flag:

Based upon longevity, I would have to agree with you, Larry.

The question then becomes one of intensity, national viewing, etc.

There's more to a rivalry than just longevity.

#6 | Posted by JeffJ at 2014-08-28 06:31 PM | Reply | Flag:

Welcome back, USC scandals!

sports.yahoo.com

#7 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-08-28 07:02 PM | Reply | Flag:

USC backup RB quits, coach refutes racism claims

sports.yahoo.com

#8 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-08-28 07:03 PM | Reply | Flag:

Do you think Pete Caroll cheated to win the Super Bowl.

#9 | Posted by LarryMohr at 2014-08-28 07:07 PM | Reply | Flag:

Nulli, he transferred to Michigan.

Larry,
Nulli is a huge UCLA fan. We talked about rivalries up thread. I am sure you can figure out why he doesn't like USC

#10 | Posted by JeffJ at 2014-08-28 08:12 PM | Reply | Flag:

#10 | Posted by JeffJ at 2014-08-28 08:12 PM | Reply | Flag:

My question was a serious one. I have a gut feeling that he did but was asking to see what he or other's thought.

#11 | Posted by LarryMohr at 2014-08-28 08:14 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Do you think Pete Caroll cheated to win the Super Bowl."

They don't call him Cheaty Petey for nothing.

#12 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-08-28 08:16 PM | Reply | Flag:

They don't call him Cheaty Petey for nothing.

Posted by nullifidian at 2014-08-28 08:16 PM | Reply

Thanks.

#13 | Posted by LarryMohr at 2014-08-28 08:19 PM | Reply | Flag:

UCLA = University of Cheater Liars and Abominables

That and they are a bunch a whiners... need to grow a pair!
lostangelesblog.com

That being said Go Poly! though we are down now to UNM by 7....

#14 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-08-28 08:32 PM | Reply | Flag:

He was a cheater in college, Larry. I've yet to see any serious allegations of his cheating in the NFL

#15 | Posted by JeffJ at 2014-08-28 08:36 PM | Reply | Flag:

Posted by JeffJ at 2014-08-28 08:36 PM | Reply

Something just sit right with Me regarding the SuperBowl. Something's fishy.

#16 | Posted by LarryMohr at 2014-08-28 08:46 PM | Reply | Flag:

How 'bout them Aggies?

#17 | Posted by Corky at 2014-08-28 08:47 PM | Reply | Flag:

"That and they are a bunch a whiners... need to grow a pair!
lostangelesblog.com"

The USCheaters are losers and so are their fans. Plus their campus sucks.

#18 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-08-28 08:59 PM | Reply | Flag:

I enjoyed watching Michael Sam sack Johnny Loser.

#19 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-08-28 09:10 PM | Reply | Flag:

I enjoyed watching Michael Sam sack Johnny Loser.

Posted by nullifidian at 2014-08-28 09:10 PM | Reply

I wonder how much Johnny had to fork over to "win" the Heisman

#20 | Posted by LarryMohr at 2014-08-28 09:15 PM | Reply | Flag:

#19 - now that's just sick. Lol.

#21 | Posted by kudzu at 2014-08-28 09:29 PM | Reply | Flag:

Looks like the aggies new qb is gonna make mansqueal look like a nobody.

#22 | Posted by kudzu at 2014-08-28 09:30 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Looks like the aggies new qb is gonna make mansqueal look like a nobody."

Yep, it looks like the Aggies are better without mansqueal.

#23 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-08-28 09:41 PM | Reply | Flag:

I hear that Johnny Can't Throw is looking like the next Ryan Leaf in training camp.

#24 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-08-28 09:47 PM | Reply | Flag:

#24 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN

Ryan Leaf was a member of the best Heisman class of all time - in terms of the type of NFL career the members had.

But when it came to the NFL he turned out to be even worse at being a criminal than a quarterback.

For those of you who aren't aware....a Heisman class consists of the top-4 vote-getters. In this case, it was Ryan Leaf, Randy Moss, Peyton Manning and Charles Woodson (the winner).

Moss has a shot at the Hall of Fame and Manning and Woodson will be inducted as soon as they are eligible.

#25 | Posted by JeffJ at 2014-08-28 11:22 PM | Reply | Flag:

#25 - regarding that class being the best - that is my opinion. If Heisman classes have been rated under that rubric, I've never seen it.

I have seen a couple of 'ratings' from sports experts that I love.

1. The greatest team captain of all-time in any of the 4 major US sports (basketball, hockey, football, baseball). The answer? Steve Yzerman.

2. The greatest pro-draft of all time in any of the 4 major US sports. The answer? '91 Red Wings.
Vladimir Konstantinov
Sergei Federov
Nicklas Lidstrom

Konstantinov's career was cut tragically short by a limousine accident after the Wings won the Cup in '97. He survived but never played again. He was a monster; an unbelievable talent.

#26 | Posted by JeffJ at 2014-08-28 11:28 PM | Reply | Flag:

Had Konstantinov not been in that accident, Lidstrom probably wouldn't have 7 Norris Trophies. Vlad was that good.

#27 | Posted by JeffJ at 2014-08-28 11:30 PM | Reply | Flag:

How 'bout them Aggies?
#17 | POSTED BY CORKY AT 2014-08-28 08:47 PM | REPLY | FLAG:

Did you watch the game Corky? Damn, that was a beautiful offense. And our defense...didn't suck as bad as last year! (actually, wasn't too bad). All in all a really fun game to watch.

#28 | Posted by bartimus at 2014-08-29 12:14 AM | Reply | Flag:

I became an Aggie retroactively after they took over the ETSU campus in Commerce. They were unbeatable tonight.

#29 | Posted by Corky at 2014-08-29 12:28 AM | Reply | Flag:

The Aggies' schedule is pretty tough.

They lose a minimum of 4. If they played Michigan, it would be even worse for them - in addition to the loss they would be psychologically traumatized and it would take at least 2 games to recover from such a beat-down.

#30 | Posted by JeffJ at 2014-08-29 12:50 AM | Reply | Flag:

Aggies had #9 SC for dinner.

Michigan would be an after dinner mint.

#31 | Posted by Corky at 2014-08-29 01:01 AM | Reply | Flag:

#30 | POSTED BY JEFFJ AT 2014-08-29 12:50 AM | FLAG:

Ironically, everybody, including the entire ESPN panel, said the same thing about tonight's game. When all cylinders are firing, as they were in tonight's game, the Aggies can be pretty tough to beat.

Also, I hate to rely too much on pre-season rankings, but Michigan isn't even ranked in top 25...

#29 | POSTED BY CORKY AT 2014-08-29 12:28 AM | FLAG:

Nice. I went to A&M from '00 to '08 (grad school); I'm first generation Aggie, and when my parents dropped my off my first year, my dad warned me about this "weird on-campus group he'd heard of called the 12th Man" and that they were a bit overzealous...little did I know I'd be sucked in by the 2nd week of school! Been a fan ever since, even during the Fran years. :)

#32 | Posted by bartimus at 2014-08-29 03:23 AM | Reply | Flag:

Jeff with all due respect... are you out of your mind? Michigan wouldn't last five minutes in the SEC. Ohio state? Really? They suck compared to the top SEC teams. Urban Criar is the biggest joke of a coach much less a man. I mean who wins national championships with another teams recruits and then "retires" for health issues to go on ESPN until a cush job like Ohio state comes up.

#33 | Posted by Dalton at 2014-08-29 10:07 AM | Reply | Flag:

Oh and by the way... I hope Georgia and Todd effin Gurley rip Clemson a new one Saturday evening.

#34 | Posted by Dalton at 2014-08-29 10:08 AM | Reply | Flag:

"I became an Aggie retroactively after they took over the ETSU campus in Commerce."

And here I thought I was the only one.

#35 | Posted by bogey1355 at 2014-08-29 12:51 PM | Reply | Flag:

Let's not crown the Aggies just yet. They have to play Ole miss, Alabama, Auburn and LSU.

I would be willing to make a wager that one of those 5 teams wins the NC this year, but it's gonna be The Tide. SC had no cornerbacks and apparently they couldn't rush the passer either.

But give credit where credit is due, that aggie offense looked very good, especially the offensive line.

#36 | Posted by kudzu at 2014-08-29 01:00 PM | Reply | Flag:

When were you there, Bogey?

#37 | Posted by Corky at 2014-08-29 01:08 PM | Reply | Flag:

Sleeper = LSU. Mainly because they have strength of schedule combined with playing the tough opponents at home. The only tough road game will be A&M the last game of the season.

#38 | Posted by bogey1355 at 2014-08-29 01:09 PM | Reply | Flag:

You think Ole Miss has a chance to win the NC Kudzu?

#39 | Posted by Dalton at 2014-08-29 01:10 PM | Reply | Flag:

91-93. I found out about the deal about 8 years ago. Since then I have been trying to get my transcrpits from them to no avail. As my secretary (who is really who was trying to get them) said, "this is the first time I've ever heard of the school using the Dog ate my homework excuse".

#40 | Posted by bogey1355 at 2014-08-29 03:00 PM | Reply | Flag:

#34 - Dalton

Yes I am out of my mind.

I was just clowning. I know what Michigan is right now and it's not very good.

#41 | Posted by JeffJ at 2014-08-29 03:44 PM | Reply | Flag:

University of Miami will take it all!

Not Florida, Ohio baby, O-hi-OH!

#42 | Posted by kanrei at 2014-08-29 03:44 PM | Reply | Flag:

Well you got me then Jeff. I couldn't believe what I was reading. Plus I can't ever miss a opportunity to bash Urban Criar.

#43 | Posted by Dalton at 2014-08-29 03:51 PM | Reply | Flag:

Dalton,

The O-line is terrible and the running backs are meh. Hard to dominate when you can't run the ball and your QB is under constant duress.

#44 | Posted by JeffJ at 2014-08-29 03:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

#39 - let me say this. Ole miss would win other conferences. The west division of the sec is the division of death.

Ole miss is gonna surprise people this year. And we know who they want to beat the most - bama.

#45 | Posted by kudzu at 2014-08-29 11:20 PM | Reply | Flag: