Thursday, August 28, 2014

Police in Beverly Hills detained an innocent, Harvard-educated movie producer on his way to a Friday Emmys celebration because he "fit the description" of a wanted bank robber, he claimed. Charles Belk, who has also helped organized the NAACP Image awards, said police investigating a nearby bank robbery held him for six hours, while denying him a phone call and even an explanation as to why he was under investigation. "It's one of those things that you hear about, but never think it would happen to you," Belk wrote on his Facebook page. "All because I was misidentified as the wrong 'tall, bald head, black male.'"

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

Comments

"At the police station, police denied him a phone call and didn't let him speak to his lawyer, Belk said.

It wasn't until midnight -- six hours after Belk's nightmare began -- that police reviewed the video surveillance tapes and realized they had the wrong guy."

That is where the DOJ should get involved. Arrest the wrong guy? Well that is a mistake. Denying him his rights though?

#1 | Posted by 726 at 2014-08-28 11:44 AM | Reply | Flag:

So, he was the wrong guy. So what? We all know he was guilty of something else. He probably enjoyed the whole ordeal.

#2 | Posted by JeffJ at 2014-08-28 11:47 AM | Reply | Flag:

Sounds like the movie 'Crash'. Anyone remember that scene?

#3 | Posted by moder8 at 2014-08-28 11:55 AM | Reply | Flag:

So much of this sounds crazy to me. Someone please tell me that some laws were broken here.

Is it really legal to detain people using a description that is so ridiculously general?

Is it really legal to hold someone for six hours without a phone call or telling him why he was being held?

If you are walking down the street and a police officer just demands that you sit on the curb without offering any explanation as to why, are you really obligated to comply?

I know the cops are doing their typical "Well this is our procedure" BS but I can't believe that their procedures are legal in this case.

#4 | Posted by sully at 2014-08-28 12:30 PM | Reply | Flag:

There needs to be a police police, where they can just walk up to police and demand they lie down and get cuffed without explanation or be shot dead. Then you might see a police attitude adjustment.

#5 | Posted by bored at 2014-08-28 12:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

From the article: >> "The Beverly Hills Police Department regrets the inconvenience to Mr. Belk, but was under obligation to thoroughly verify that he was not the suspect before releasing him," the [police department's] statement said.

#6 | Posted by LampLighter at 2014-08-28 01:17 PM | Reply | Flag:

From the article:

Was the police department also under obligation to prevent Mr. Belk from contacting his lawyer or make phone calls that would help prove he was not the person the police were looking for?

#7 | Posted by LampLighter at 2014-08-28 01:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

Cops have learned that they don't have to comply with the law...they can manufacture or destroy evidence as needed and lie or cover up any activities at a later time.

#8 | Posted by DeadSpin at 2014-08-28 01:24 PM | Reply | Flag:

#7 | Posted by LampLighter at 2014-08-28 01:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

Were they also under the obligation to not look at the video of the suspects? Seems like looking at the video first would have stopped them from arrresting a random person.

People are human and they make mistakes but mistakes that aren't acknowledged can't be forgiven. Can't have it both ways where you're sorry but also you did nothing wrong.

#9 | Posted by Sully at 2014-08-28 01:27 PM | Reply | Flag:

Charles Belk should consider himself fortunate he wasn't shot on scene by officer skid marks.

#10 | Posted by ClownShack at 2014-08-28 01:29 PM | Reply | Flag:

The Beverly Hills Police Department regrets the inconvenience to Mr. Belk, but was under obligation to thoroughly verify that he was not the suspect before releasing him.

They were so thorough they didn't look at the video for hours to see if they had the right guy.

#11 | Posted by rcade at 2014-08-28 01:40 PM | Reply | Flag:

This actually reminds me of an incident that happened to a guy I knew from high school. He was in Camden for a concert and was car jacked and forced to go to an ATM to take the max out of his bank account. Then they took the money and let him go.

He went to the cops and they looked at the ATM tapes. Whoever gave them the tape pulled the wrong time. Since there was no robber on the tape, they decided this guy was lying. It didn't seem to register with them that the tape in fact showed that NOBODY was using the ATM at that time, which should have told them that something was wrong because the bank records proved otherwise.

So they call this guy back into the station and sit him down and accuse him of stealing his own money. He was a student at Yale at the time and they thought that he just blew through his own money and didn't want to tell his parents. (Again, the fact the tape didn't show him taking out his own money as per their theory didn't register with them). So they're badgering him and really want to charge him and finally he sarcastically says "Yeah, you guys are right. You're geniuses. I stole my own money. You got me. You all deserve to be promoted...". And they pretending that this was a real confession and arrested him. Shortly after, someone with a brain looked at the tape and pointed out that the tape didn't show anyone using the ATM and that it couldn't have been the right tape. They got the real one and it confirmed the original story. They never got the armed robber.

This is what happens when you have morons doing investigative work that requires logical thought processes.

#12 | Posted by Sully at 2014-08-28 01:44 PM | Reply | Flag:

They should have tazed him and broke his arm, like this:

www.youtube.com

#13 | Posted by JeffJ at 2014-08-28 01:53 PM | Reply | Flag:

Where is the conservative outrage about big oppressive government coming down hard on individual rights?

#14 | Posted by FedUpWithPols at 2014-08-28 02:34 PM | Reply | Flag:

#14 | Posted by FedUpWithPols

That only applies when big government is stifling the individual rights of wealthy white people and corporations.

#15 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2014-08-28 02:39 PM | Reply | Flag:

The rest of the story is this:

The sad thing is, prior to my freedom being taken from me for an easily proven crime I did not commit, I was walking back to my car, by myself, because I needed to check my parking meter, so that I wouldn't get a ticket and break the law. In fact, if it wasn't for a text message that I was responding to, I would have actually been running up LaCienega Blvd when the first Beverly Hills Police Officer approached me. Running!

I want to thank GOD, Robin Lola Harrison of the NAACP Hollywood Bureau, Robert Dowdy and Attorney Jaaye Person-Lynn , without whom, I am certain that I would still be locked up in the custody of the Beverly Hills Police Department. Based on comments made by a Beverly Hills Police Officer during my booking, and an FBI Special Agent, it appeared that they had tried and convicted me. m.facebook.com

He knows that if it weren't for him answering a text and he indeed had been running up LaCienega Blvd, there is little doubt that these officers would have likely opened fire on him and probably taken his life -- fleeing felony suspect, natch.

You ask why the black people of Ferguson were so enraged over Michael Brown's shooting? This is just another day being black in America no matter where you live or how you comport yourself. In the eyes of law enforcement it seems everyone is guilty of something until they can prove otherwise. The sadder part is that the real perps got away while the police wasted their time and energies on this innocent person, and this happens far more often than is reported in the papers.

#16 | Posted by tonyroma at 2014-08-28 03:20 PM | Reply | Flag:

Jon Stewart Sets the record Straight about Ferguson, Mo.

#17 | Posted by ClownShack at 2014-08-28 03:24 PM | Reply | Flag:

Tony,

white people, non black people, will never understand how black Americans feel everyday.

#18 | Posted by ClownShack at 2014-08-28 03:25 PM | Reply | Flag:

Tony,

#18 | POSTED BY CLOWNSHACK

I'm a white guy, but I am well hung. I can relate with black Americans.

#19 | Posted by JeffJ at 2014-08-28 03:29 PM | Reply | Flag:

I'm a white guy, but I am well hung. I can relate with black Americans.

Well, jump off the clothesline now Jeff, I'm sure you're completely dry in all this heat.

#20 | Posted by tonyroma at 2014-08-28 03:43 PM | Reply | Flag:

#14 | POSTED BY FEDUPWITHPOLS AT 2014-08-28 02:34 PM | FLAG:

These threads make me think the same thing.

#21 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-08-28 04:19 PM | Reply | Flag:

#14 | POSTED BY FEDUPWITHPOLS AT 2014-08-28 02:34 PM | FLAG:

They're on the "Back Page" of DR arming up with Muskets left over from the 2nd Amendement

#22 | Posted by cmbell73 at 2014-08-28 04:54 PM | Reply | Flag:

#14 POSTED BY FEDUPWITHPOLS

When Clarence Thomas, Allen West, Herman Cain, Alan Keys or Ben Carson are arrested (wrongly or not) there will be plenty of Rightie outrage

#23 | Posted by SammyAZ_RI at 2014-08-28 05:36 PM | Reply | Flag:

This reminds of the time my car was stolen. The first thing the police did was accuse of stealing my own car for the insurance money.

And I'll bet none of you crackers have been to jail before. The put you in a holding cell for about 6 hours, more if it's a weekend and they have a lot of business. So no phones.

And the courts have ruled they can hold you for up to three days incommunicado, without pressing charges.

And for God's sake, stop talking ----.

#24 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2014-08-28 07:52 PM | Reply | Flag:

As a Heinz 57 libertarian conservative progressive my opinion on this is simply that law enforcement needs to understand that implementing a short leash on their part is in their ultimate interest.

A short leash on their officers may save them from the wrath of a society at large that ultimately will have enough of overzealous actions. When the public is paying the bill and actions of public servants are not in line with what the USA citizens expect of LE, there will come a time where demands from taxpayers must be met. The public expects "serve and protect". Nothing more and nothing less.

#25 | Posted by Robson at 2014-08-28 08:39 PM | Reply | Flag:

BS...err MALARKY! These things are governed by state law.

In California "an arrestee has a right immediately after booking to make at least three phone calls within three hours of arrest. These calls may generally be made to an attorney, a bail bondsman, and a relative."

The ACLU of Northern California states: Be sure you get your 3 phone calls within 3 hours of getting arrested or immediately after being booked. You can call a lawyer, bail bondsman, relative, or any other person. If you have children under 18, you get 2 additional calls to arrange childcare.

There is always a phone.

Just another instance of the cops harassing a black man.

Deal with it.

#26 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-08-28 08:45 PM | Reply | Flag:

#26 I guess the laws have changed in the years since I was poor trash. At least in California.

#27 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2014-08-28 08:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

#28 | Posted by soheifox at 2014-08-28 11:08 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Not sure I would call a guy with 4 VERY obscure producer credits a "producer". That's like calling me a "radio station director".
#28 | POSTED BY SOHEIFOX AT 2014-08-28 11:08 PM"

If he worked as a producer at some production, he's a producer.
If you worked as a director at a radio station, you were a radio station director.

I hope this isn't the only tidbit you took away from this article about this incident.

#29 | Posted by TrueBlue at 2014-08-29 08:04 AM | Reply | Flag:

But we live in a democracy!!!!

Gay marriage!!!!

Flag burning!!!!!

Idiots.

#30 | Posted by Shawn at 2014-08-29 09:54 AM | Reply | Flag:

#29 | Posted by TrueBlue at 2014-08-29 08:04 AM | Reply | Flag:

Hey it was hard werk coming up with something to criticize the victim over. A less creative person would read that story and think "This guy seems perfectly clean". Give some credit where it is due.

#31 | Posted by Sully at 2014-08-29 10:08 AM | Reply | Flag:

wait..they had a fractured eye socket, they couldn't see

#32 | Posted by drewinnj at 2014-08-29 09:54 PM | Reply | Flag: