Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Amazon.com snapped up live-streaming gaming network Twitch Interactive for about $970 million in cash, reflecting Chief Executive Officer Jeff Bezos' resolve to transform Amazon into an Internet destination beyond its core retail operations. The move, announced by the two companies on Monday, is the largest deal in Amazon's 20-year history and will help the U.S. e-commerce company vie with Apple and Google in the fast-growing world of online gaming, which accounts for more than 75 percent of all mobile app sales. In July more than 55 million unique visitors viewed more than 15 billion minutes of content on Twitch, which enables gamers to broadcast their play, send messages to each other and watch professional videogame competitions.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

Comments

That's too bad...

#1 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2014-08-26 08:40 AM | Reply | Flag:

... in the fast-growing world of online gaming, which accounts for more than 75 percent of all mobile app sales.

This really surprised me. Wow, what a bunch of losers.

#2 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2014-08-26 08:59 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

#3 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2014-08-26 09:15 AM | Reply | Flag:

Never heard of Twitch.

And "in cash"? How many suitcases were required. Small, unmarked bills?

#4 | Posted by pragmatist at 2014-08-26 09:29 AM | Reply | Flag:

In America, entertainment trumps productivity. The key is to be a military superpower capable of destroying life on earth, with the only reserve currency. Destroy everyone else that attempts to trade oil in other currencies.

#5 | Posted by nutcase at 2014-08-26 11:06 AM | Reply | Flag:

"Why does it surprise you? Look around when you are out. If it isn't texting/facebook it is games and since texting and facebook are free..."

#3 | POSTED BY GALAXIEPETE

Gal, "online gaming, which accounts for more than 75 percent of all mobile app sales" has nothing to do with texting, playing games or using facebook.

I think its a mistake. There is no way that 75% of all app sales fall into gambling.

#6 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2014-08-26 12:15 PM | Reply | Flag:

Who said anything about 'gambling'? The term Gaming has been used to describe playing games for at least a couple decades now. If you think of it as related to gambling I am thinking your reference must go back to the 70s at least.

I used to be a big online gamer. In the early days when there was no money in it. My buddies were one of the top Counterstrike teams. What did they get? Computers and airplane tickets. Now all these kids are amassing fortunes by playing games and streaming their game playing and other idiotic behaviors for people to watch (via Twitch). Some of these people have hundreds of thousands of followers. People PAY to watch them. Younger people watch the pro players like 60 year olds watch a baseball or football game. The tournaments for top players / teams bring thousands of people and sell out without fail.

Honestly I don't know where the mobile portion comes in other than for viewing Twitch. I don't know anyone streaming mobile gaming sessions.

#7 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2014-08-26 02:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

Actually thinking about it you should look into gaming in Korea. The people there are into gaming like America is into Football, Basketball and Baseball combined. People are absolutely fanatical about it.

I just looked up one of the players I know. He gets $4.99 a month per viewer who pays for his premium content streaming - i.e. No Ads. Last I heard he had over 20k premium subscribers. I am not sure how much of that he gets and how much goes to Twitch?

#8 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2014-08-26 02:25 PM | Reply | Flag:

Just looked up another stat - Season 3 League of Legends World Championship (free to play game) had a viewership of over 32 million people... That was last year's championship. That is just one of the popular games and there are dozens that have tournaments. They have over 27 million DAILY players now.

#9 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2014-08-26 02:31 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Who said anything about 'gambling'? The term Gaming has been used to describe playing games.."

Gal, I stand corrected. I gamble maybe once a year and only have a chess app for "gaming". My kids are the real "gamers".

#10 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2014-08-26 03:49 PM | Reply | Flag:

My grandson plays World of Warcraft. He has played for years with the same characters and he claims he could sell his identity on Craigslist for several thousand dollars? Can this actually be true?

#11 | Posted by danni at 2014-08-26 07:36 PM | Reply | Flag:

#11 | Posted by danni

Your grandson is a dreamer. You USED to be able to get thousands. Now the price for a good toon is around $500.

www.thegamesupply.net

Thats a what a "friend" told me anyway.

#12 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-08-27 12:56 PM | Reply | Flag:

^...however, as my "friend" reminds me, if his account has multiple high level chars he could conceivably sell the whole account for thousands.

#13 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-08-27 12:58 PM | Reply | Flag: