Monday, August 25, 2014

Two-time Oscar-winner Lord Richard Attenborough has died in England at the age of 90 after a glittering career on both sides of the camera that included acting in films such as The Great Escape and Jurassic Park, and directing and producing Gandhi. Attenborough won the Oscar for best director in 1983 for his work on Gandhi, and for Best Picture for producing Gandhi. He also won three Golden Globes for supporting actor in Doctor Doolittle and The Sand Pebbles, and as director for Gandhi, which seemingly won everything the year it came out (its Oscar total was eight).

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

afkabl2

MORE STORIES

His directing of the musical adaptation A Chorus Line and Cry Freedom, the biopic about slain anti-apartheid activist Steve Biko, also earned Golden Globe nominations.

Attenborough's breakthrough role as a young actor was in 1947's Brighton Rock where he portrayed the psychopathic teen-aged hoodlum Pinkie Brown.

Comments

He was brilliant in Miracle on 34th Street.

#1 | Posted by JeffJ at 2014-08-25 09:56 AM | Reply | Flag:

RIP Big X.

#2 | Posted by kanrei at 2014-08-25 10:02 AM | Reply | Flag:

He was the star in one of my favorite films called "The Ship that Died of Shame".

Excellent, moody, atmospheric film released in the late 1950's. If you can find it. Not to date myself, but I still have a copy of it on Betamax!

#3 | Posted by scalawag at 2014-08-25 10:53 AM | Reply | Flag:

3: The freaky thing is the idea that you still have a Betamax player! :) I am intrigued. Must look up film...

#4 | Posted by pragmatist at 2014-08-25 12:13 PM | Reply | Flag:

With the exception of Clint Eastwood, I can't think of an actor who made such a successful transition to director. I'll take The Sand Pebbles and The Great Escape as my favorites, and yes I'm partial to Mr. McQueen. I wonder if Spielberg completely changed his character in Jurassic Park from the evil mad lunatic, from Crichton's novel, to cuddly park boss, only because he had Lord Richard in the role. Probably.

RIP

#5 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2014-08-25 01:04 PM | Reply | Flag:

I've never forgiven him for cloning those dinosaurs.

#6 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2014-08-25 02:38 PM | Reply | Flag: