Monday, August 18, 2014

An eight-year-old California girl died Sunday morning after slipping off a trail and falling 550 feet into the Grand Canyon in Yellowstone National Park. Zahra Allahyari of Poway and her family were visiting when they hiked down to the Brink of the Lower Falls observation platform. Two-thirds of the way down the trail, she reportedly stepped off the trail and lost her footing. Trailpedia rates that trail as difficulty level 2 (out of 10) and states that it ends at "a nearly vertigo-inducing overhead view of the tremendous cascade as it plunges 308 feet."

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

A photo of park visitors looking over the Brink of the Lower Falls from the platform.

Comments

Bad headline. A 550' fall never killed anybody.

It's the sudden stop at the bottom does it.

#1 | Posted by northguy3 at 2014-08-18 11:43 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Did the selfie turn out OK?

#2 | Posted by catdog at 2014-08-19 08:19 AM | Reply | Flag:

I've walked that trail. Hard to imagine slipping and falling from it

#3 | Posted by CaseyJones at 2014-08-19 09:42 AM | Reply | Flag:

In Mexico, at Tepoztlan, I watched a mom from Chicago slip of the side of a cliff at the site of a mountain top pyramid and splatter all over the rocks below. It was among the most shocking things I've ever seen. Her husband and two daughters didn't even realize what had happened for about fifteen minutes.

#4 | Posted by moder8 at 2014-08-19 11:50 AM | Reply | Flag:

I've only been to Yellowstone once and didn't get to spend nearly enough time there. One of the things I remember is seeing some pretty steep drops in some of the scenic viewing spaces. And of course you had idiots climbing on or over railings or taking dozens of pictures while they ignore their small kids. It was making my father quite nervous and I could tell that he was biting his tongue the whole time. Not saying anyone is to blame in this case but based on some of the behavior I witnessed, I'm surprised there aren't more falls.

#5 | Posted by Sully at 2014-08-19 12:05 PM | Reply | Flag:

#4 | Posted by moder8 at 2014-08-19 11:50 AM | Reply | Flag:

That's horrible. Did someone tell them or did they have to see for themselves? I would not want to be at that scene.

#6 | Posted by Sully at 2014-08-19 12:07 PM | Reply | Flag: