Sunday, August 17, 2014

Pope Francis held a mass for 800,000 in Seoul, South Korea, Saturday, in front of Gwanghwamun Gate, a site where many Korean Christians were tortured and executed in the 18th and 19th century. The pope held a ceremony to beatify 124 of them as martyrs. The Korean Catholic Church is unusual in how it began in the country, as the 77-year-old Francis noted in the Mass. "The Christian faith was not brought to the shores of Korea through missionaries," he said. "It entered through the hearts and minds of the Korean people themselves."

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

Corky

MORE STORIES

Comments

"The Korean Catholic Church is a rare example of a Christian community that is growing faster than Protestantism. While Protestants outnumber Catholics and their evangelical groups are among the biggest in the world, Catholicism has grown in recent years as Protestant numbers are eroding. Infighting and corruption scandals at Protestant megachurches have driven some faithful away in recent years.

The pope also met Saturday with lay leaders of the Korean church, underscoring the unusual history of a church that was first propagated by the laity. For decades after Catholicism arrived in Korea in the late 1700s, it was sustained entirely by lay persons.

"The Christian faith was not brought to the shores of Korea through missionaries," the pope said at Saturday's Mass. "It entered through the hearts and minds of the Korean people themselves."

#1 | Posted by Corky at 2014-08-16 12:20 PM | Reply | Flag:

800,000 (*edit!)

#2 | Posted by Corky at 2014-08-16 12:24 PM | Reply | Flag:

Oh,I thought it meant 800 dollars

#3 | Posted by bruceaz at 2014-08-16 10:31 PM | Reply | Flag:

Francis rocks. In a tactful manner he has called out Catholics, challenged the Church's power structure and injected energy into a faith ministry that has been hide-bound too long. Keep it up!

#4 | Posted by catdog at 2014-08-17 01:44 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 2

Corky, you don't know a thing. I lived in Korea. I was taught Buddhism there. I know a few people there still. Christianity was started by a group of Buddhist monks. They had acquired a copy of the New Testament in Chinese back in the 18th century. It interested them They sent for a Priest from the Vatican to teach them the fundamentals of the faith. The Priest, sent a few years later didn't know Korean, and died well before he could explain or warp anything, (at least that is the story I heard more than one occasion). The monks made due with what they had. Koreans established the first Christian Church in Korea. Catholicism is popular in Korea because Koreans love order and structure. They are also suckers for titles and ceremony. The largest regular religious service on this planet is held in the First Baptist Church in Seoul. Been there, it is impressive. They average more than 40,000 on the second service on Sunday. I don't know Korean at all, but it sure looked like a Baptist service. I was in the visitor's corner with about 400 other people who also didn't speak Korean. I also noted the head phones I was given for translation had seven channels. From what I remember they had Chinese, Russian, Tagalog, Japanese and English, the other I guess were dialects of Chinese.

#5 | Posted by docnjo at 2014-08-17 09:23 PM | Reply | Flag:

Well, I'm certainly impressed. Who wouldn't be?

But then I like salads.

#6 | Posted by Corky at 2014-08-17 09:39 PM | Reply | Flag:

800,000?

It's Over 9000!

#7 | Posted by Tor at 2014-08-17 10:12 PM | Reply | Flag:

What Mr, Huang taught me about Buddhism.(He was a 70+ YO retired Buddhist priest who I shared lunch a few times a week in 1999.
1. If you set too long on a hard wooden floor meditating, you get hemorrhoids.
2. Water is wet.
3. Fire is hot.
4. Ice is cold.
4. You have no power to change the nature of anything.
5. Pain springs from desire.
6. Desire springs forth from a perceived need.
7. Nothing happens by chance.
8. A simple happy man is closer to Nirvana than the most disciplined stoic.
9. Nothing is permanent on this world.
10. To show compassion is to rise above you current plain of existence.
11. Be careful in what you do, your actions will be judged by results, not intent. Karma is a bitch.
12. You are infinitely privileged to be alive. Take advantage of your situation and grow. As long as you realize that you actually know nothing, you are truly green. Green things grow.
13. The which diminishes you is what the Christians call sin.
14. That which alleviates suffering, is payment for a debt.(good works can cancel Karma debt)
15. If you do not love others at every opportunity, your life is pointless.
16. All prayer is heard.

I could go on, but my first year in Korea expanded my mind. I heard about how they diagnose sin by the ugly three, The ----, the snake, and the boar. Or it doesn't really mater if the life of Buddha ever really happened or not. I have never read a book about Buddha, saw a youtube video once. Read a book, "The saying of the Buddha", which I stole from a motel room in Japan. Best of all, I could love Jesus and practice the discipline. At least that is what I was taught by Mr. Lee Huang. I apologize to any Buddhist out there if I misunderstood what he was trying to teach me, remember he only had a couple of hundred hours, which is not much in the scheme of things. If I got it wrong, the fault is mine.

#8 | Posted by docnjo at 2014-08-17 11:31 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Pope Francis Reaches Out to China During South Korea Trip

Only About 3% of Asians Are Catholics, But Continent Represents Great Hope for Vatican

SEOSAN, South Korea -- On the penultimate day of his visit to South Korea, Pope Francis sent one of his most explicit messages to Beijing by expressing hopes to establish full relations with China.

During a meeting with Asian bishops on Sunday, the pontiff said he "firmly hope[s] that the [Asian] countries with whom the Holy See doesn't yet have full relations won't hesitate to pursue a dialogue that would benefit all parties."

The Vatican, which has diplomatic relations with most countries around the world, doesn't have ties with China.

online.wsj.com

#9 | Posted by Corky at 2014-08-18 12:04 AM | Reply | Flag:

The Pope also blessed the Kia Soul and proclaimed that all Christians should purchase that monstrosity.

#10 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2014-08-18 08:55 AM | Reply | Flag:

Millions are going to change their minds.

#11 | Posted by Tor at 2014-08-18 09:53 PM | Reply | Flag:

I guess I should have use the word roster, damn these censors, they are obviously believe that some are more equal than others.If I was a communist expressing how much I loathed this country, I could say ----- the USA and nothing would happen.

#12 | Posted by docnjo at 2014-08-20 01:46 AM | Reply | Flag:

"I seriously can wait for the Pope to visit a secular strong hold in North America.
Millions are going to change their minds."

Is the Holy Father merely to be another pawn in your culture war, then?

#13 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2014-08-20 03:04 AM | Reply | Flag: