Saturday, August 16, 2014

Microsoft is planning a technology preview of its Windows "Threshold" operating system to be released by September or October, sources told Mary Jo Foley of ZDNet. Threshold is the next major version of Windows and is expected to be called Windows 9 in its spring 2015 release. "[T]here are arguments for dumping a numerical title because of the possible association with Windows 8, which has widely been pegged as a failure," reports ComputerWorld.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

Corky

MORE STORIES

Comments

"...Windows 8, which has widely been pegged as a failure,"

I don't think it's been a failure from the standpoint of stability. The failure came because it had such a significant disconnect in functionality from previous versions. Windows 8 is extremely counter-intuitive.

#1 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2014-08-16 11:08 AM | Reply | Flag:

every time I try to comment on this thread, my IE 11 locks up. How apropos.

Here's the real kick in the head. MS has one of the best operating systems ever - Windows 7 professional. Why do they keep screwing around with all these 'vista-like' operating systems?

I have never met a single person who says, 'I 100% trust Microsoft and 'The Cloud' with all my personal stuff, and I will be happy to let them take charge of my computer-usage experience'.

#2 | Posted by kudzu at 2014-08-16 11:34 AM | Reply | Flag:

I use Windows 8, it sucks.

#3 | Posted by danni at 2014-08-16 12:00 PM | Reply | Flag:

Windows 8 is why I went to a Mac.

I should have done it sooner, NO issues.

#4 | Posted by bat4255 at 2014-08-16 12:04 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

I just found eight useless. In terms of systemic stability and speed, there wasn't a noticeable improvement over 7, making no reason to upgrade.

Multi-platform functionality was almost groundbreaking in a way, but I had little opportunity to make use of it. I suspect tablets will soon take the place of laptops, especially with items like Microsoft's surface and Lenovo's yoga two. Meaning people who need programs like Word for work or school, etc, will greatly benefit from the ability to easily transfer between desktop/laptop/tablet and phone. In that way, they were only a year or two ahead, but I suspect will benefit from that soon.

#5 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-08-16 12:04 PM | Reply | Flag:

The kernel of Win 8 is actually a comparatively well-built, highly secure and stable OS.

The GUI user interface is the real problem, that and the funneling to MS Store... which is easily solved with Classic shell.

#6 | Posted by Corky at 2014-08-16 12:05 PM | Reply | Flag:

that and the funneling to MS Store

#6 | Posted by Corky

ITunes is the nastiest and most virulent thing I have ever encountered. I am constantly fixing my wife and son's MS computers from intrusive junk coming with ITunes.

#7 | Posted by kudzu at 2014-08-16 12:16 PM | Reply | Flag:

They're all about selling us the apps...

There's little in the world anymore that isn't about the money.

#8 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2014-08-16 12:20 PM | Reply | Flag:

I'm using Windows 7 on the backup laptop, but keeping Windows XP on my main laptop as long as it still works.

#9 | Posted by Judity at 2014-08-16 12:27 PM | Reply | Flag:

Every OS from Microsoft after XP has been crap, in my opinion, throwing in unnecessary and unwanted bells and whistles that bog down the system and drain resources. Just solutions in search of a problem to boost MS's bottom line.

Any needed enhancements could have been dealt with more service packs or rewriting the code but keeping the interface, but that would have lacked the "Wow" factor needed to confuse consumers into upgrading their software.

#10 | Posted by censored at 2014-08-16 12:30 PM | Reply | Flag:

This PC I use for the internet is an old P-4 "server" that we put XP on, added a decent graphics card, and connected to a 42" TV.

Streams well, werks great.

#11 | Posted by Corky at 2014-08-16 12:38 PM | Reply | Flag:

Ok... Rather impartial IT guy here. This have been coming for a while.

So Windows 8 is the worst thought out product from Microsoft I have seen.

Yes - the engine IS the best ever but who can get by the interface? Not to mention how they broke all the drivers AGAIN going from 8 to 8.1. There is a free and readily available interface that mimics Windows 7 for it. I suggest people run that - Classic Shell and it is freeware without advertising. Personally - I HATE touch screens on a computer. I hate smudgy screens. Tablet/Phone Sure but even then I hate the smudges. Not everything is a dang touch screen and the interface just blows for those not using one. Even then it is not the best.

It IS the reason so many people went Mac. Not just the general lack of knowledge about what the REAL problem is. I am moving toward a Mac - it's just the flipping overpriced nature that bugs me.

#12 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2014-08-16 01:15 PM | Reply | Flag:

I'll never do Mac - it's not that they don't put out a good product, I think there's no argument on that. It's the overpriced nature and in the case of mobile tech, lack of personal customization compared to Android. Anytime I don't want to deal with Microsoft, I simply end up going over to Linux. The one that amazed me most was my Dad had an old IBM era think pad - I think a 2002, but without asking don't remember exact year and series. It originally had XP on it, but around the time they announced they were pulling support, he virused it up and had to wipe the hard drive. At something like 512 MB RAM, I couldn't find much of anything with a small enough footprint to get working on it that had support. Enter at around 3:00 AM Lubuntu. Actually got it up and running, and a year or so later now, it's still his basic internet browser. That impressed me.

#13 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-08-16 01:38 PM | Reply | Flag:

They fired up W8 because they thought the tablets touch screen was what everyone wanted.
If you run serious design software, you use both hands..one on the hotkeys and one on the mouse. Also a clean screen (NO GD finger prints!) is paramount.
MS W8 had to have been designed by slatheraz kids.

#14 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2014-08-16 05:57 PM | Reply | Flag:

Forget it XP still works just fine.

#15 | Posted by tmaster at 2014-08-16 06:28 PM | Reply | Flag:

the only reason to use 8 is if you have a touch screen, which I have no intention of buying.

#16 | Posted by nutcase at 2014-08-16 09:49 PM | Reply | Flag:

The only reason to use 8 is if your new computer came with it.

#17 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-08-16 09:49 PM | Reply | Flag:

I have a 17 inch Mac book Pro that is a few years old and there's no comparison to a piece of crap PC...never had one issue with it nothing...no loading of stupid virus crap.. its been just perfect and will never buy another computer other than Apple.

#18 | Posted by blake914 at 2014-08-16 09:52 PM | Reply | Flag:

That's fine. If Steam ever manages to put together an operating system, I will be passing Micro^%$## entirely.

#19 | Posted by Shawn at 2014-08-16 10:21 PM | Reply | Flag:

Just bought a new HP laptop with 8.1 and touch screens galore. Quad core amd with integrated ati radeon graphics for under $400. Got it home, fired it up and tried to make sense of this boondoggle. Looked like a defective operating system was installed, so I wiped the drive, installed Linux Mint, and it is awesome.

Why would anybody want to be counterproductive is a mystery.

#20 | Posted by coyote at 2014-08-16 10:28 PM | Reply | Flag:

Before i got into Apple i had to buy a laptop every couple of years as they broke down,crashed or just sucked as they do now.I spent 2500 for this Pro but wont have to spend any more money on a computer for a very long time

#21 | Posted by blake914 at 2014-08-16 10:50 PM | Reply | Flag:

"I agree 100%. This is where I break with Microsoft and Apple, especially Apple. Even on my Android smartphone, Google does the same crap."
They're all about selling us the apps...
There's little in the world anymore that isn't about the money.
#8 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2014-08-16 12:20 PM

According to the article this will be another Vista - released too early and I agree it will be focused on streaming and sharing - an interface to your wallet.

#22 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2014-08-17 02:32 AM | Reply | Flag:

The Heck with Microsoft.
The NSA is offering a new free operating system called ISPY,
sounds great I will download that over buying another Microsoft product!

#23 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2014-08-17 08:24 AM | Reply | Flag:

Windows 8 (and server 2012) didn't just make me switch to Kubuntu, they FORCED me to. And I OWN 10 Microsoft Operating System Licenses, All Paid at least 100-200$ each for, at least 4 of those (Microsft XP) apparently have no support even though I bought those 8 years ago, I guess lifetime support meant lifetime of the license not the user. Then there are the copies of Windows Server 2002 and the servers themselves that were preinstalled on, certified by MS themselves, upgraded to 2012, HATED IT... broke everything pretty much made the whole network useless and insecure because it didn't want to 'place nice', especially in the case of the legacy features that are "no longer supported". So.... like i said, i made it simple, cut off the dead weight (windows) and embraced linux and cut my losses (dont make me count in dollars, I'll cry!) But the servers to this day are running very happy and never not once have I had a virus or malware or any kind of adware attempt (notice i didnt say attack) since. And they lived happily ever after...

- THE END -

#24 | Posted by osirisgothra at 2014-08-17 09:22 AM | Reply | Flag:

#24 | Posted by osirisgothra

Server 2012 is Much better than server 2003. You can't expect to jump 2 operating systems on hardware that is what 8-10 years old and expect it to work just like magic? You can't do that on any OS...

IF you knew what server 2012 did v 2003 you would be all for it. I only had one issue with DNS and a change I didn't like. Otherwise Server 2012 is FAR superior and more stable.

XP is presently 4 operating systems ago. It was long supported and a good system in it's day. It is technologically challenged more so today than ever though and anyone staying on it isn't terribly smart about it. Your system WILL be saturated with malware soon.

Embrace Linux. If it ran native MS software WELL I would as well. The thing is 99% of business software doesn't run on Linux. Maybe 5% runs on Apples.

#25 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2014-08-17 08:11 PM | Reply | Flag:

Tablets/touch screens are just one small move toward the grand scheme of everything being "in the cloud". In the end, they don't want you to have have physical possession of your data. You're a political and economic threat if you do. What are you hiding? Why aren't you willing to pay a monthly fee to access it? Why don't you want them to "protect" it for you?

#26 | Posted by GUNDERFUNK at 2014-08-18 04:06 AM | Reply | Flag: