Sunday, August 10, 2014

Nascar driver Tony Stewart struck and killed another racer who had exited his vehicle after a crash Saturday night during a dirt-track race at Canandaigua Motorsports Park in Central Square, New York. Kevin Ward Jr. had gotten out of his car following a crash with Stewart and appeared to be yelling and pointing. A car swerved to miss him and Stewart's right rear tire struck Ward, who died en route to a hospital.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

The disturbing video of the incident, which shows Ward being struck:

Comments

Tragic....

Regarding the racing incident it, looks like either Tony lost some rear traction when he took Ward out on the turn or Tony just cut him off. You see the flick of the wheel going right, "saving" it but cutting off Ward.

Regarding the tragic incident Ward makes a fatal attempt to get to Tony's left side of his vehicle, Tony probably was trying to keep him high side (experience). Then Ward moves up the track, and now Tony trys to get the car to rotate left by accelerating, and turning.

I never liked NASCAR drivers racing in local events, they can trash their equipment and it doesn't cost them anything, when beating on the locals. Probably Ward is the local hotshoe and his parents invested their third mortgage on the car. Tony goes out and wrecks it..... what does he care, he is racing Sunday in the Show.

#1 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-08-10 11:05 AM | Reply | Flag:

No he's not. He decided not to drive today.

It wasn't stewarts fault. Last time i checked, a racetrack is not set up for pedestrian traffic.

Let this be a lesson to all those drivers who want to get out of their car and flick off some other driver.

BTW, Stewart has done this same thing. It's a hazardous sport - deal with it.

#2 | Posted by kudzu at 2014-08-10 11:17 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 3

"No he's not. He decided not to drive today." - Kudzu

Its not quite what I meant, on any given Sunday..... thats what I meant.

#3 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-08-10 11:27 AM | Reply | Flag:

"It wasn't stewarts fault."

Probably, but Stewart is known for his temper. He might have done more to get out of the way. It's hard to tell from the video.

#4 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-08-10 11:44 AM | Reply | Flag:

What a ------. What was he going to do, punch the car?

#5 | Posted by Harry_Powell at 2014-08-10 11:47 AM | Reply | Flag:

Probably, but Stewart is known for his temper.

#4 | Posted by nullifidian

Whereas, all other practicioners of male testosterone-driven sports are known for their deep introspective thought and quest for spiritual enlightenment.

He didn't try to run the guy over.

#6 | Posted by kudzu at 2014-08-10 12:02 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

I like how Tony Stewart is "Tony" and Kevin Ward is "Ward".

#7 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-08-10 12:51 PM | Reply | Flag:

I've followed Stewart's racing career since he was a NASCAR rookie and although he had a temper in his early days, he's also known as a "clean" competitor that other drivers respect.

Race car fans always hate to hear about things like this. I feel bad for everybody involved. I'm sure Stewart is totally devastated and I hope it's true that he opted not to drive in today's Sprint Cup.

Not to trivalize but they all know the dangers when they strap into the seat. Anything can happen at any moment and this time it did. They're called 'racing incidents.' Drivers want to outrace other drivers, not kill them.

#8 | Posted by Twinpac at 2014-08-10 12:53 PM | Reply | Flag:

15 points ...

DEATH RACE 2000 - the original with David Carradine is still the best.

yea... DON'T GIVE ME THAT GUFF... Why else would grown adults spend major bucks watching folks drive around in circles? Its always the hope of seeing something bad happening...

I'd say they got their monies worth this time ....

FUTURE NASCAR Rules...

2) NOMEX RACING OVERALLS WILL BE INTERNATIONAL ORANGE WITH REFLECTIVE TAPE BANDS - MINUS THE ADS

3) CRASH STROBES - INSIDE COCKPIT - LIGHT UP WHEN CAR HAS STOPPED OR ENGINE IS OFF

4) SLOW DOWN YELLOW STROBE - MOUNTED IN FRONT HOOD AND CONTROLLED BY RACING OFFICIALS - LIGHTS UP AND 30 SECONDS LATER ENGAGES A REV LIMITER - ALSO HAS GPS SNAP SHOT - RACE CAN ONLY RESTART WHEN ALL RACERS ARE IN THE CORRECT POSITIONS BEFORE SLOW DOWN SYSTEM WAS ENGAGED

ANY MORE?

#9 | Posted by Pegasus at 2014-08-10 01:33 PM | Reply | Flag:

Fans go to races to see crashes, and this video shows what can happen in (or after) a crash. How do you like your NASCAR now?

#10 | Posted by catdog at 2014-08-10 01:34 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

CATDOG

There are "race fans" and there are "crash fans." Don't link them all tgether.

We're a completely seperate breed of fans.

#11 | Posted by Twinpac at 2014-08-10 01:39 PM | Reply | Flag:

How do you like your NASCAR now?

Love it. Love it for the competition. Love it for the strategy. Love it for the science involved. The crashes are just a bonus, and there are crashes in every race, they're just part of the above mentioned strategy. BTW, this young man's death wasn't caused by the crash.

#12 | Posted by Jay at 2014-08-10 01:46 PM | Reply | Flag:

yellow flag, wreck on highside, cars drive low side, 100% avoidable, 100% stewarts fault, driver is supposed to be in control of the vehicle.

#13 | Posted by yougothurt at 2014-08-10 01:48 PM | Reply | Flag:

Obviously the accident happened because Ward got out of his car and ran around on the track. But I question whether Stewart got close to him on purpose as he was being yelled at. He seemed to be going faster than he should have been with the caution out.

#14 | Posted by rcade at 2014-08-10 04:05 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

This accident was one of those heat of the moment things. Ward felt he'd been wronged by Stewart and was trying to show his displeasure. They all do it at one time or another.

Watching the video, I'm not sure Stewart even saw the guy until it was too late to avoid him. There was another car blocking his view. Still he tried and the back end of his car stepped out and clipped the young man. The clip probably didn't have anything to do with the caution speed which was around 25 mpr.

The sheriff's office is calling it an unfortunate accident. From what I see, that's all it was. If there was any bad judgment involved, Ward should have know better than to step into oncomming traffic, even under a yellow flag. Chalk it up to inexperience.

Dirt track cars are not designed to be as agile as NASCAR'S stock cars and they're less easy to control on loose dirt ~ which is the object of that style of racing.

I hold Stewart blameless. I'm sure the D.A.'s office will see it the same way.

#15 | Posted by Twinpac at 2014-08-10 06:40 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

I hold Stewart blameless. I'm sure the D.A.'s office will see it the same way.

As it should be IMO.

What kind of jackass hothead does one have to be to jump out of your car and start running around on the track to yell at drivers?

Darwin Award aspirants I guess.

#16 | Posted by jpw at 2014-08-10 06:42 PM | Reply | Flag:

I used to see his behavior all the time when my sons were playing sports. They see the pros do it so they do it.

This kid wanted to be a hero on his local circuit as the one that called out Tony Stewart.

Bad choice.

rwd

#17 | Posted by rightwingdon at 2014-08-10 07:13 PM | Reply | Flag:

JPW

The reason it's not strictly prohibited is because the fans love it.

Drivers do that kind of stuff to show that they have the fire in the bely that it takes to be a race car driver. It's practically a requirement in the coming-of-age life of a young driver.

In NASCAR, young Joey Logano at age 18 didn't get much respect in the garage area because he was always so nice and forgiving. Then one day after a race he took a punch at another drive who had pushed him around in the race. (They do that to rookies) That was the end of Mr. Nice Guy Joe Logano and the other drivers started to respect him on and off the track.

For people not familiar with racing protocol, that's just the way it is. All young drivers have to "make their bones" to earn respect.

I think Kevin Ward might have been "making his bones."

Tony Stewart is a professional who has won champtionships in every division he's ever raced. Three in NASCAR Sprint Cup series alone. He owns Stewart-Hass Racing which fields four race teams, including his own. He has the friendship, support and business relationships with the biggest names in Nascar. There's no way a man of his stature in the racing industry would stoop to doing some of the petty things that have been mentioned here.

#18 | Posted by Twinpac at 2014-08-10 07:24 PM | Reply | Flag:

RIGHTWINGDOM is absolutely correct.

One of the bad things about a local hero showing off for the crowd is that some day he might be asking that big shot for a job ~ that is if he ever wants to move into the big time.

Pick your enemies very carefully is my motto. They can make you or break you in the race car business.

#19 | Posted by Twinpac at 2014-08-10 07:38 PM | Reply | Flag:

I don't follow the sport and can't tell if Stewart did anything wrong or not.

But I think its wrong that the criticism of Ward Jr.'s leaving the car has been so careful. As children, one of the first things we all have to learn before we can leave the house on our own is how to stay out of the way of traffic.

Not saying anyone deserved it or that it isn't a tragedy but it was completely avoidable.

#20 | Posted by Sully at 2014-08-11 09:44 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

#18 "There's no way a man of his stature in the racing industry would stoop to doing some of the petty things that have been mentioned here."

Sure there is, above all those other things he is human. Humans do stupid things no matter what else they have accomplished.

That being said, it is probably not the case that he did this intentionally.

#21 | Posted by HeuristicGratis at 2014-08-11 09:48 AM | Reply | Flag:

I see the next evolution of NASCAR: NASCAR ROAD RAGE! Arm the drivers. Put someone sitting shotgun. Let's make Death Race 2000 a reality!

#22 | Posted by kanrei at 2014-08-11 09:55 AM | Reply | Flag:

FUTURE NASCAR Rules...
ANY MORE?

#9 | POSTED BY PEGASUS

Just one. Turn CapsLk off.

#23 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2014-08-11 10:42 AM | Reply | Flag:

#15 | POSTED BY TWINPAC

I saw it that way in the video too. Then after the car passed he actually ran in front of Stewart.

PO'd or not, wasn't a smart move and he learned that the hard way.

#24 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-08-11 10:53 AM | Reply | Flag:

#13 | POSTED BY YOUGOTHURT

So the next time someone jumps in front of your car going 20-30 mph you're going to accept all responsibility for their action?

#25 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-08-11 10:55 AM | Reply | Flag:

#9 | POSTED BY PEGASUS

For some reason I just watched that again a couple weeks ago.

I remember it as the first movie I saw ------- in as a kid in the 70's, I think I was like 7 or 8.

#26 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-08-11 10:58 AM | Reply | Flag:

I don't remember my first ------ in a movie, but I do remember Princess Leia in that golden bikini as the start of puberty for me.

#27 | Posted by kanrei at 2014-08-11 11:02 AM | Reply | Flag:

#27 | POSTED BY KANREI

haha, for me puberty as you called it was Debra Jo Fondren after finding my Dad's playboy stash. :)

#28 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-08-11 11:21 AM | Reply | Flag:

Found my dad's Playboys shortly after. Hello Kathy Shower.

And let's not forget Elle Macpherson and the SI covers...

HELLO NURSE!

#29 | Posted by kanrei at 2014-08-11 11:23 AM | Reply | Flag:

Yeah, have to agree, but you never forget your "first" :)

#30 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-08-11 11:27 AM | Reply | Flag:

OMG! Kathy Shower got UGLY!

en.wikipedia.org

#31 | Posted by kanrei at 2014-08-11 11:28 AM | Reply | Flag:

Dunno, just doesn't seem to be a very flattering picture.

www.facebook.com

She's held up nicely tho. :)

#32 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-08-11 11:37 AM | Reply | Flag:

Your's did. Mine aged like fine wine- turned to vinegar.

#33 | Posted by kanrei at 2014-08-11 11:38 AM | Reply | Flag:

#33 | POSTED BY KANREI

Dunno, looks like she just took a bad pic.

imagecollect.com

This one was a year before the wiki one, tho she is wearing a lot of makeup in that one.

#34 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-08-11 11:46 AM | Reply | Flag:

Woah...that one is actually worse as it looks like botox and plastic.

#35 | Posted by kanrei at 2014-08-11 11:47 AM | Reply | Flag:

#35 | POSTED BY KANREI

True, was just trying to ease the pain.;P

#36 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-08-11 11:48 AM | Reply | Flag:

True, was just trying to ease the pain.;P

#36 | POSTED BY LOHOCLA AT 2014-08-11 11:48 AM

Hit me with a car next time*

*Bringing the thread back to the subject =D

#37 | Posted by kanrei at 2014-08-11 11:54 AM | Reply | Flag:

Just make sure you run out in front of me so I can be blameless.

Make sure you shake your fist and gesticulate wildly and ineffectively as well. :)

#38 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-08-11 12:03 PM | Reply | Flag:

Hell I'm even watching Death Race 2000. They just got to the part where they put up a fake tunnel like in Bugs Bunny....forgot about that. Whoops, right off a cliff.

#39 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-08-11 12:04 PM | Reply | Flag:

"1) STAY IN THE CAR AT ALL TIMES WHEN CAR IS ON THE TRACK - DISQUALIFICATION FOR THOSE THAT DON'T"

I would say an exception has to be made if the car is on fire. Also, I wouldn't just make it disqualification. If you're getting out of the car, you're day is done anyway. I would make the penalty a suspension that would cost a driver 3-4 races. I'd bet that such a policy would make these guys miraculously easier to keep off the track even in the "heat of the moment".

#40 | Posted by Sully at 2014-08-11 12:59 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Unlike Kudzu, I can't read minds, so instead I am going to hazard a guess:

Stewart purposely used his car to respond to Ward's improvident decision to confront him while he was driving around the track, but his goal was to scare him, not run him over and kill him.

#41 | Posted by mOntecOre at 2014-08-11 03:12 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

#40 | POSTED BY SULLY

Or points if it's NASCAR. I don't watch it, but I listen to country music and all they talk about is how many points a driver has etc.

#42 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-08-11 03:40 PM | Reply | Flag:

Growing up my grandfather drove on dirt tracks and owned a car when he got too old to drive the car. It was always dirt track and although the cars were stock instead of these types but, the car slides a lot. The track is poorly lit. The guy killed had on a dark drivers suit and every driver was questioned after the race and all of them told police the last thing they were told was "do not leave your car." I hate the guy died and no matter how dumb it was didn't deserve to die over it. The wreck seemed clean and if anyone was really pissed off it was the guy that got out of his car and walked into traffic hoping everyone would be able to dodge him.

#43 | Posted by Dalton at 2014-08-11 03:57 PM | Reply | Flag:

Ward was playing human flogger, and lost. What an idiot.
No sympathy. None.