Friday, August 08, 2014

A 22-year-old man was shot and killed by police while carrying an air rifle as he shopped at a Beavercreek, Ohio, Walmart Tuesday night. John Crawford was holding a Crosman MK-177 BB/Pellet Rifle. LeeCee Johnson, who has two children with Crawford, said she was on the phone with him when he was fatally shot. "He said he was at the video games playing videos and he went over there by the toy section where the toy guns were. And the next thing I know, he said 'It's not real,' and the police start shooting," she said.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

According to witness accounts, Crawford may have taken the gun from the sporting goods section into the pets department, where he was shot.

Comments

Ahh cops dreams coming true - finally finally after all that training and waiting and hoping, they FINALLY got to shoot a guy.

I wonder if it felt as awesome as they had fantasized.

#1 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2014-08-08 10:13 PM | Reply | Flag:

And they say it's liberals who are afraid of guns...

#2 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-08-08 10:16 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Voter suppression in action.

Only surprised it wasn't in FL.

#3 | Posted by 88120rob at 2014-08-08 10:17 PM | Reply | Flag:

When the police receive a call about you walking around a store pointing a gun at people....you'd best not have a gun when they get there.

And I've seen the model in question. it looks like a real rifle and it's sold in a plastic package you need to WORK to get it out of. You know, those annoying packages you can;t pull apart without cutting up your hands? He didn't "pick it up", he went out of his way to brandish it.

www.crosman.com

LOOK at that thing. What kind of idiot are you to walk around pointing that at people? It looks like a real ACR.

(And for anyone who cares, it can pop a beer bottle at about 30 feet, so it's not just a toy plaything)

#4 | Posted by soheifox at 2014-08-08 10:28 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Cops ain't playin. Don't put them in a position to make a mistake.

#5 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2014-08-08 10:29 PM | Reply | Flag:

Here's an idea - how about we don't point guns at people regardless of what it is? I am pretty sure I learned that in 2nd grade.

#6 | Posted by pragmatous at 2014-08-08 10:57 PM | Reply | Flag:

Don't point guns at people, real simple.

#7 | Posted by zack991 at 2014-08-08 11:02 PM | Reply | Flag:

Cop apologists are worse than chorizo.
The reason we don't restrict gun sales to the criminally insane and the severely retarded is that most police departments would be unarmed.

#8 | Posted by Harry_Powell at 2014-08-08 11:22 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 2

Google "police kill unarmed man"

About 2,670,000 results (0.32 seconds)

#9 | Posted by Harry_Powell at 2014-08-08 11:23 PM | Reply | Flag:

Right wingers are only okay with open carry for white people. Already have a couple examples popping up in this thread.

#10 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-08-08 11:28 PM | Reply | Flag:

Do they keep BB guns behind the counter with the live ammo in Ohio?

#11 | Posted by aescal at 2014-08-08 11:36 PM | Reply | Flag:

Ohio is an open carry state. Therefore, he had a right to carry a gun in public. Even told the cops (before they shot him) "It's not real." Unless there's video of him pointing it at them, the shooting wasn't justified.

Like Zero said, "right wingers are only okay with open carry for white people."

#12 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2014-08-08 11:38 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

If it was Walmart there is video...My single shot Daisy pistol could kill you if I pumped it up 10 times and it went between your ribs.Goliath was killed with a rock.I'd have to see the video before offering an opinion.

#13 | Posted by bruceaz at 2014-08-08 11:55 PM | Reply | Flag:

#13 | POSTED BY BRUCEAZ AT 2014-08-08 11:55 PM | FLAG:

Don't be ridiculous. I have a scar on my leg. Said "so shoot me" at a moment my little brother had a Daisy BB gun in hand. In true brotherly fashion, he did. Moments later, I proved able to out sprint someone trying to run away on a bike lol, but immaterial to this - the BB - definitely out of a fully pumped gun - popped the skin open and penetrated all of a good quarter inch. You aren't killing anyone with that.

At the worst, this man might have been a danger to someone's eyesight. And had every right in that state to open carry it even had it been the truly lethal kind. Which is apparently acceptable out of white rednecks, but a death sentence for black people.

#14 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-08-09 12:20 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 2

Google "police kill unarmed man"
About 2,670,000 results (0.32 seconds)
#9 | Posted by Harry_Powell

Meanwhile, "Police kill manatee" got about 9,370,000 results.

I guess we have it a lot better than manatees.

#15 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-08-09 12:23 AM | Reply | Flag:

"Therefore, he had a right to carry a gun in public."

Maybe, but if the police tell you to put it down, you don't have that right anymore.

#16 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-08-09 12:34 AM | Reply | Flag:

#9 | Posted by Harry_Powell
Google "police kill unarmed man"
About 2,670,000 results (0.32 seconds)

#15 | Posted by snoofy
"Police kill manatee" got about 9,370,000 results.
I guess we have it a lot better than manatees.

On the other hand, "police kill englebert humperdinck":
About 4,830,000 results (0.43 seconds).

Moral of the story? Google Schmoogle.

#17 | Posted by TheTom at 2014-08-09 12:36 AM | Reply | Flag:

Well, unless you actually put it in quotes....

#18 | Posted by TheTom at 2014-08-09 12:37 AM | Reply | Flag:

Zero,in the leg sure,mine also shoots pellets and I wouldn't take it in the chest on a dare.Of course I know it wouldn't penetrate kevlar.Still need to see the video and I agree cops shoot away,I live in Az

#19 | Posted by bruceaz at 2014-08-09 12:39 AM | Reply | Flag:

It's a Walmart, why would investigation take months just to decide on what they want to do? Every inch of the store is audio and video taped.

#4 | Posted by soheifox at 2014-08-08 10:28 PM | Reply | Flag:

The only direct comments from a witness that have been posted said it was being waved in the general direction of people, not that he was pointing it directly at people. So you'll have to find another angle to go with.

#20 | Posted by daniel_3 at 2014-08-09 12:57 AM | Reply | Flag:

He was playing video games with one hand and on the phone with the other. The third hand was brandishing the weapon.

But Sophie put up a picture of the gun. It looks like a cartoon gun.

#21 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-08-09 01:43 AM | Reply | Flag:

If SOHEIFOX is right he was an idiot to have that thing out of the package.

#22 | Posted by Tor at 2014-08-09 02:12 AM | Reply | Flag:

These are air rifles on display at Walmart

4.bp.blogspot.com

#23 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2014-08-09 02:21 AM | Reply | Flag:

And these

media.cmgdigital.com

#24 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2014-08-09 02:26 AM | Reply | Flag:

I am a strong defender of gun ownership, CCW etc. but this stinks....some overzealous cop needs a felony charge.

#25 | Posted by Greatamerican at 2014-08-09 03:29 AM | Reply | Flag:

Monday morning quarterbacking is such a nice safe place. After all the recent shootings by half baked loonies, the cops are Not gonna smile on someone waving what appears to be a gun in a mall.
Is this pellet gun a copy of a so-called "assault" weapon? If it is, then all the more reason for the cops to be quick to act.
Had they held their fire and the Dumb --- opened up on the crowd, I imagine you whiners would be p***ing on the cops back for not taking him out before he started shooting.

#26 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2014-08-09 04:57 AM | Reply | Flag:

not me. I think the world would be greatly improved with having less 'walmart shoppers'. Less 'Barney Fiffes' would be nice too.

#27 | Posted by kudzu at 2014-08-09 11:15 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

Ok you people are nuts. I'm not right wing. I'm a liberal. Science is important and we need less guns.

You don't point guns at people. Especially at those who wear uniforms given to them by the government. It's your own damn fault if you get shot and killed for aiming a gun at them. If someone aimed a gun at me I'm going to aim at you. If you don't put the gun down I'm going to shoot you. It's basic survival skills. It's not rocket science.

#28 | Posted by pragmatous at 2014-08-09 11:39 AM | Reply | Flag:

Cop apologists are worse than chorizo.

#8 | POSTED BY HARRY_POWELL AT 2014-08-08 11:22 PM | REPLY | FLAG:

Hey Cletus, you might could read the story and look at what he was pointing at people before you cry about the mean officers shooting down the poor unsuspecting innocent man.

#29 | Posted by soheifox at 2014-08-09 01:40 PM | Reply | Flag:

#14 | POSTED BY ZEROPOINTNRG AT 2014-08-09 12:20 AM | REPLY | FLAG

This isn't like that, stud. This thing will shatter a beer bottle at 30 paces. Your brothers spring loaded Daisy has nothing to do with what this weapon is. Your brother's spring loaded Daisy is a toy. These things should be regulated.

#30 | Posted by soheifox at 2014-08-09 01:42 PM | Reply | Flag:

#20 | POSTED BY DANIEL_3 AT 2014-08-09 12:57 AM | FLAG:

Are you insane? Waving a gun at people is FELONY BRANDISHING and extremely dangerous.

#31 | Posted by soheifox at 2014-08-09 01:44 PM | Reply | Flag:

Although this thread does finally provide an answer to a question I've long wondered.

Do people who are pantswettingly afraid of guns hate morons playing with deadly weapons or cops more?

The answer is... cops.

#32 | Posted by soheifox at 2014-08-09 01:45 PM | Reply | Flag:

But Sophie put up a picture of the gun. It looks like a cartoon gun.
#21 | POSTED BY BRUCEBANNER AT 2014-08-09 01:43 AM | FLAG:

No it doesn't. it looks like this.

www.armyrecognition.com

That is the current go to weapon for gun nuts, superseding the AK series these days.

#33 | Posted by soheifox at 2014-08-09 01:48 PM | Reply | Flag:

Really Bruce, if you're this jaw-droppingly ignorant on a subject, you shouldn't bother commenting on it.

#34 | Posted by soheifox at 2014-08-09 01:51 PM | Reply | Flag:

people who are pantswettingly afraid of guns
#32 | Posted by soheifox

That would be the cops.

#35 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-08-09 01:57 PM | Reply | Flag:

That would be the cops.

#35 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2014-08-09 01:57 PM | FLAG:

It is their job to shoot people who point guns at people, genius. If someone is told to drop the gun and they don't. the next step is to shoot them down. Otherwise, if they "talk" to the gun wielding lunatic and he kills someone, people like you rage about how incompetent they are and how they were cowards afriad to face them.

The situation doesn't matter; to people like you and Bruce, the policeman is always wrong.

#36 | Posted by soheifox at 2014-08-09 02:19 PM | Reply | Flag:

#36 | Posted by soheifox

There is no gun in this story. It's also not clear that there was an order to drop it, or time to comply with that order.

The police are so pants-wettingly afraid of guns, they thought a toy was an actual gun.

Are you that afraid too?

#37 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-08-09 02:36 PM | Reply | Flag:

Otherwise, if they "talk" to the gun wielding lunatic and he kills someone,

Kills someone with an air rifle.

I'm guessing the reason you can't smell the stench of your own desperation is because your nose is buried so far up the police's backside.

#38 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-08-09 02:40 PM | Reply | Flag:

But even if he were holding an actual firearm, I'm still not sure I can see it your way.

Because we have a right to bear arms in this country, as much as that causes the police to wet their pants in fear.

#39 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-08-09 02:54 PM | Reply | Flag:

How much time is there between step 1 and step 2? Five seconds, one second, less?

Do the police have to determine if what they think is a gun is really a gun before they do any of this stuff? Or is the fact that someone who thought it was a gun called 9-1-1 sufficient to establish that it was in fact a gun?

#40 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-08-09 03:00 PM | Reply | Flag:

Oh, I see. It's my fault now. The police need to go around shooting people with fake guns because I might write a nasty blog post if they don't shoot a person holding a real gun.

It takes a special kind of weasel to come up with that kind of logic, Soheifox.

#41 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-08-09 03:04 PM | Reply | Flag:

#30 | POSTED BY SOHEIFOX AT 2014-08-09 01:42 PM | FLAG:

I'm aware you might think all liberals know nothing about guns, and you might even be forgiven for such - but this is one area where I do not toe the line. Until I was 8, I lived in a very rural area of Michigan, my family hunts, my father was teaching me gun safety rules at about the same age as I was starting school, (apparently didn't take with my brother and BB guns, though in fairness I have yet to see him misuse the real thing) and I went on to join the army - and yes, I have expert pins and the paperwork to back them up, for all that's worth. I own several rifles and a couple handguns.

I said "fully pumped." As in, compressed air BB/pellet gun. Something that would have had no problem putting holes in a can at decent range. It did look semi-real. It was capable of breaking skin. I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same kind of item in this story, unless it was like a CO2 pellet gun, in which case I misunderstood, but still not normally deadly unless possibly a lucky eye shot.

Either way, this was in an open carry state, in a store that sold such items, and if the story reads true, the police never stopped to question any of that. Yet, we have people in other stories walking into malls with possibly fully loaded AR 15's or just trail walking with them and coming off completely disrespectful to cops and telling them where they are going and what they're doing while fully armed is none of their business but getting off scot-free or barely charged with anything, while this man is with little to no warning, shot and killed.

The only difference? Armed while black.

#42 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-08-09 03:11 PM | Reply | Flag:

they thought a toy was an actual gun.

They found out it was a toy after the fact.

The picture posted of the air rifle in question is not clearly a toy at all (no orange tip ect).

Interesting that you're throwing around the pants wetting issue when clearly someone in the store called the cops because he had it in his hands and was apparently being very cavalier with it. He wasn't shooting at anyone, so why the need to call the cops?

(this entire story is just stupid coated stupid piled on stupid, it's too bad he'd already disqualified himself for a Darwin Award)

#43 | Posted by jpw at 2014-08-09 04:01 PM | Reply | Flag:

They found out it was a toy after the fact.

According to the story, he said "it's not real" before he was shot.

#44 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-08-09 04:04 PM | Reply | Flag:

#30 | POSTED BY SOHEIFOX

Not really a good analogy of "power" since dropping a bottle on a tile floor from about 2 feet does the same thing. Glass is brittle and easily broken.

Granted the one he had looks real, but there didn't appear to be anyone panicking or running away, and SOP is to de-escalate a situation, not just go in blazing, not saying they did or didn't btw, I trust the news about as much as I trust my exgf to not be a ---, just saying there's likely a lot more to this than is being reported.

I think the video, if it's ever released, will answer a lot of questions.

If he was acting stupid, so be it, but if someone over reacted when reporting it (one story says he was pointing it at people and another one said he was walking with the muzzle pointed up) or the officers never gave him a chance to comply while he was just holding it (ie saying "it's not real") then yeah, there's a problem with their response.

#45 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-08-09 04:09 PM | Reply | Flag:

#45 | POSTED BY LOHOCLA AT 2014-08-09 04:09 PM | REPLY | FLAG:

An empty beer bottle is not actually that brittle. Have you never dropped one? If you think it is, go ahead and ask someone to break one over your head. After the third whack and you're crying and it's still not broken, get back to us. A small projectile destroying (rather than knocking over) a hundred of times it's weight means a lot of force in a very small area.

If you take one of these air rifles to the chest or stomach, you're going to the emergency room. They should be regulated.

Though I do often roll my eyes at a related topic:

Those big scary combat knives are always under lock and key, but kitchen knives can be lifted right off a shelf. THE BUTCHER KNIFE IS ACTUALLY FAR MORE EFFECTIVE AS A WEAPON! All that serration and blood gutters and crap just make it easier to get the knife stuck in someone.

(And to head off the stupid question: The reason is because the Army understands a k-bar is a multi purpose tool, and they're actually not meant for killing except as a last resort)

#46 | Posted by soheifox at 2014-08-09 04:53 PM | Reply | Flag:

#46 | POSTED BY SOHEIFOX

Have dropped many, full and empty, thats why I phrased my comment "since dropping a bottle on a tile floor from about 2 feet does the same thing", in my experience it's broken every bottle that has done that.

I have a little device on my keychain that can break a bottle at the push of a button, yet having it hit your hand doesn't even hurt, let alone break the skin. It's actually made to shatter auto glass, but does just fine with bottles, again I know because I've done it. Does that make it "lethal" or "dangerous"?

Again, because it's brittle, it doesn't take much to break a bottle, just the right force applied to a small area.

Hitting someone on the head isn't a good analogy either as the impact isn't a sharp impact but dissipated against a larger area as well as hitting something that absorbs much of the impact (skin, hair, bone, movement etc). Similar to the difference between dropping said bottle on a wood floor usually doesn't break it while dropping it on tile does. One absorbs some of the force, the other does not.

As for the knocking over rather than breaking, even the pop toygun daisy spring loaded air rifles break bottles..again, I know this from breaking many of them as a child. Even once shattered the glass of a sliding glass door with one of those cheap assed things. Would barely dent a tin can though and we've shot each other enough to know it doesn't even hurt if you hit clothing.

Whereas a 10 pump doesn't usually go thru the clothing, at least it never did on us, it does tend to sting a bit, so yes I have "taken one of those to both the chest and stomach" (and that was a 1200FPS, not 750FPS like the one the guy in the article used) and other than a few bee sting like welts, I'm no worse for the wear. Hell I've even been shot with rock salt from a pissed off farmer's 12ga because we were playing in his corn field. Never even went through my surplus army jacket or jeans (luckily) tho I did have some welts on my rear end and I never felt it through the jacket.

Now, if we were talking about .22 cal pellets that's a diff story, those are a lot heavier and have some pretty good penetration, especially with conical pellets (pointed or rounded rather than flat).

Now, all that said, it's granted that if you get hit in the neck or eyes, you're going to have a bad time, and no they're not toys and should be treated as if they are real firearms.

However, back to the story topic. Did the guy do something dumb? Yes, should have never taken it out of the packaging (if there was any) and taken it directly to his vehicle. Was he waving it around and pointing it at people? Dunno, eyewitness accounts are sketchy at best and insidious at their worst. Should he have been shot? Again, dunno. Real enough looking and if he pointed it at them? Probably side with the officers on that one. They would have been in a damned if you did/didn't do either way I think and I know I would have likely shot him in that situation.

Like I said, the video will answer a lot of questions, if it's ever released.

#47 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-08-09 05:47 PM | Reply | Flag:

Butcher's knives aren't serrated; that would tear up the meat when what you want is a clean separation of the carcass into individual cuts.

#48 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-08-09 05:51 PM | Reply | Flag:

...if you're this jaw-droppingly ignorant on a subject, you shouldn't bother commenting on it.

#34 | POSTED BY SOHEIFOX AT 2014-08-09 01:51 PM | REPLY | FLAG:

but you have it all figured out. sure bro.

#49 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-08-09 09:41 PM | Reply | Flag:

You forgot to include "get off my lawn!" and "go wash your skin, ------!"

Racist trash.

#53 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-08-09 11:25 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

#55 | POSTED BY FLYUNTIED AT 2014-08-10 12:22 AM | FLAG:

I am white. The white guy who had it drilled in his head in the military that everyone there is not in fact, brown, black, yellow or white, but green. I'm the white guy who has dated and befriended white, black, Mexican, Brazilian, and more. And I know your kind well. I recognize your specific use of "they," of attempts to categorize the other. I recognize your pathetic attempts to conflate under-privileged youths trying to stake out some territory, some sense of self, with fear and race. I've been in "the wrong neighborhood," even lived there when young and was just "that crazy white boy." While there I... met people and made friends.

You're trying to get a rise. Maybe shock, or maybe spread your disease. What you have is rather the same emotions I have for hospice patients - my pity, and my dearest hope your suffering not last too long.

#58 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-08-10 01:07 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 2

I said enough previously. There will be no more correspondence. Obvious, troll is obvious and such. Feel free to fill the screen with stupidity, I'm sure your toxicity won't last long enough to spread far. Likewise, you're free create all manner of excuse for my simple ability to look deeper than skin in your attempts to rationalize my behavior. Though you'd hit closer to the mark if you guessed I just wanted to keep my options for getting laid as open as possible before I settled down a little ;-).

Ultimately though, everything you might say after this will be just trying to get a rise through your sad viewpoint, and the unfortunate fact is I'm simply better than that, and better than you. It's okay though. Statistically, someone almost has to be. It's just the bell curve. Get it ;-)? *Wink wink, nudge nudge* bell curve? It's a racist joke, just for you.

#64 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-08-10 01:51 AM | Reply | Flag:

The article linked here has no indication that he was waving the toy about in an irresponsible manner. Where is this coming from?

#68 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-08-10 02:18 AM | Reply | Flag:

refusing to put it down

That's not in any story.
What's in the stories is the cops said drop it, he said "it's not real," and they opened fire.
It's legal to disobey an unlawful order from the police.

#70 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-08-10 03:11 AM | Reply | Flag:

Wander into the 'wrong' neighborhood and you will find out who the racists really are.

If blacks are the real racists, why is there more black-on-black crime than black-on-white?

#71 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-08-10 03:13 AM | Reply | Flag:

While you're at it, explain why they murdered my friends
www.google.com

Oh, I get it now.

You're the poster child for the GOP's Angry Old White Men.

#74 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-08-10 03:20 AM | Reply | Flag:

while the police maintain they killed him because he was acting up

And this to you is a legitimate reason to kill someone.

Curious, can white people act up, or is it a "black thang?"

#75 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-08-10 03:22 AM | Reply | Flag:

He would not put it down when ordered to do so.

How long do you think they waited?

#77 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-08-10 03:28 AM | Reply | Flag:

Cops: Put the gun down
Dude: It ain't real (BANG!!)

Dude dead

#83 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2014-08-10 04:12 AM | Reply | Flag:

From written accounts it doesn't seem like the cops gave him time to put the gun down.

More will be revealed ... need video and audio

#84 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2014-08-10 04:14 AM | Reply | Flag:

From the written description, it didn't sound like the dude had time to put anything down before he was shot.

#86 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2014-08-10 04:30 AM | Reply | Flag:

#86 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY

Little details like that don't matter to the boot-lickers.

He's still mad because a black guy killed his fast food friends 20 years ago.

He gets to take that to the grave, lucky him.

#87 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-08-10 05:16 AM | Reply | Flag:

Meanwhile, "Police kill manatee" got about 9,370,000 results.
I guess we have it a lot better than manatees.

#15 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

That's because you've got "police kill" with no quotes.

Just 'police kill' gets you 209 million hits.

Not much of a researcher are ya', Snoof?

#90 | Posted by Harry_Powell at 2014-08-10 12:08 PM | Reply | Flag: