Friday, August 08, 2014

Andrew Sullivan: The NYT will, from now on, use the English language to describe the torture that the CIA inflicted on terror suspects. There was never any justification for the euphemisms but cowardice in the face of Republican intimidation and Bush administration spin. ... Bill Keller should be forever ashamed of his caving in to government pressure for so long.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

Executive editor Dean Baquet writes, "[R]eporters urged that the Times recalibrate its language. I agreed. So from now on, the Times will use the word 'torture' to describe incidents in which we know for sure that interrogators inflicted pain on a prisoner in an effort to get information."

Comments

Seems a bit late. I hope it's a very long time before it's once again news.

#1 | Posted by DoofusOfDeath at 2014-08-08 05:12 PM | Reply | Flag:

There's a lesson to be learned here about how the New York Times serves as the mouthpiece for whoever's in the White House.

#2 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-08-08 05:15 PM | Reply | Flag:

Another reason I couldn't vote for Obama in 2012. He failed to go after Bush co. for Torture as well as crimes against humanity and war crimes.

#3 | Posted by LarryMohr at 2014-08-08 05:16 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Cool. I'll start calling it "journalism" again.

#4 | Posted by Derek_Wildstar at 2014-08-08 05:30 PM | Reply | Flag:

#2,

Sure, Larry. Rawmoney would have prosecuted them to the fullest extent of the law. huh.

Good call.

Puritopian, thy name is Larry.

#5 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2014-08-08 05:37 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Puritopian, thy name is Larry."

Clever.

#6 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-08-08 05:44 PM | Reply | Flag:

Puritopian, thy name is Larry.

Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2014-08-08 05:37 PM |

I'm proud to call myself a Puritopian and will continue to drink the Puritopian Water. It's better than the DNC swill I was drinking.

#7 | Posted by LarryMohr at 2014-08-08 05:53 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 2

This will force the CIA to go back to handing out candy as a reward for Intel.

#8 | Posted by DeadSpin at 2014-08-08 05:59 PM | Reply | Flag:

So if I sit in a hard chair for 14 hours and my butt hurtz, is that torture?

Or if I get a headache from answering the same questions over and over, is that torture?

#9 | Posted by RobThomas at 2014-08-08 06:17 PM | Reply | Flag:

So if I sit in a hard chair for 14 hours and my butt hurtz, is that torture?

What a moron.

#10 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-08-08 06:27 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

So if I sit in a hard chair for 14 hours and my butt hurtz, is that torture?

#9 | Posted by RobThomas at 2

I don't know about you but I was JUST TORTURED.....reading posts on one topic from LARRY...WHISKEY..AND SNOOF....

aha ha haha

good one !!!!

#11 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2014-08-08 06:43 PM | Reply | Flag:

When they call the ft hood TERRORIST and what he did TERRORISM....get back to me.

#12 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2014-08-08 06:44 PM | Reply | Flag:

#12 | Posted by afkabl2

How is it terrorism when you attack a military target, exactly???

#13 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-08-08 06:45 PM | Reply | Flag:

when your impeached, disbarred, alleged rapists, admitted liar, white trash ex president from arkansas forced a no gun policy on a military base.....pretty much about that time.

#14 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2014-08-08 08:48 PM | Reply | Flag:

#14 | Posted by afkabl2

I guess it's just another facet of Bush's vast incompetence that he didn't right that wrong.

#15 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-08-08 09:04 PM | Reply | Flag:

"when your impeached, disbarred, alleged rapists,"

If we are going to concern ourselves with "alleged" crimes the both H.W. Bush and Dubya, along with Reagan are fair game for the same treatment.

#16 | Posted by danni at 2014-08-08 09:12 PM | Reply | Flag: