Monday, August 04, 2014

Jordan Smith recently paused to say grace before a meal at Mary's Gourmet Diner in Winston-Salem, N.C. When the bill came later, she spotted a strange number in the subtotal. "The waitress came over at the end of the meal and said, 'Just so you know, we gave you a 15 percent discount for praying,'" Smith told Fox News. The diner has an official policy of giving diners a special savings if they "pray publicly" before chowing down.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

Comments

So If I pray to Satan for a virgin to sacrifice do I get the discount? And isn't "Gourmet Diner" an oxymoron?

#1 | Posted by northguy3 at 2014-08-04 02:30 PM | Reply | Flag:

I hope the restaurant promotes civility all the way around. :)

#2 | Posted by Tor at 2014-08-04 02:36 PM | Reply | Flag:

They may need it, according to Mark 16:17-18 (especially verse 18)!

#3 | Posted by kirk at 2014-08-04 02:40 PM | Reply | Flag:

So this restaurant is letting everyone else subsidize the religious? I think there should be notice ahead of ordering, so that everyone has the choice.

#4 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2014-08-04 02:42 PM | Reply | Flag:

This establishment is in my town. Everyone here loves it. And we don't care what you liberals think of it. I think it's great what they are doing and support it wholeheartedly.

You don't like it? Don't come and eat here..

#5 | Posted by boaz at 2014-08-04 02:49 PM | Reply | Flag:

$6.07 discount, if I remember correctly.

I doubt they did this for the publicity, but they sure got a lot of press for that little discount!

#6 | Posted by kirk at 2014-08-04 02:51 PM | Reply | Flag:

You don't like it? Don't come and eat here..

Posted by boaz at 2014-08-04 02:49 PM | Reply

That's fine I won't. I abhor pretentious food anyways. gives me gas every time.

#7 | Posted by LarryMohr at 2014-08-04 02:52 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

KIRK that part of Mark doesn't even show up in the oldest copies and whats more it reads more like poetry than literal statements.

#8 | Posted by Tor at 2014-08-04 02:56 PM | Reply | Flag:

My first choice would be to avoid the place. But if I made the mistake a sitting down to eat there, I'd keep my dignity and pay the extra few bucks. I'd be fine with not getting the discount as long as nobody made a big deal about it. If anyone gave me any lip about it (doesn't sound like they would), I'd take the 15% out of the gratuity.

#9 | Posted by Sully at 2014-08-04 03:04 PM | Reply | Flag:

www.tripadvisor.com

obviously, the bad reviews are from them god-hatin' liberuuulls.

#10 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2014-08-04 03:07 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Lol.....yeah that will be 2 Our Fathers and
3 Hail Mary's with that Meat Combo Platter....

#11 | Posted by earthmuse at 2014-08-04 03:11 PM | Reply | Flag:

"So If I pray to Satan for a virgin to sacrifice do I get the discount?"

Not according to the Tripadvisor comments:

#12 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-08-04 03:14 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

From Trip Advisor:

"I didn't get a 15% praying discount because I didn't pray to their god. What a bunch of self righteous bigots."

I'd give myself a 15% discount in places like that.

Just don't leave a tip.

#13 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-08-04 03:17 PM | Reply | Flag:

obviously, the bad reviews are from them god-hatin' liberuuulls.

#10 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2014-08-04 03:07 PM | Reply | Flag:

Almost all the negative reviews refer to rude service. Also lots of references to cold food.

The only ideological complaints I saw were from "conservatives". One about a nude painting in the dining room. The other was about their "leave your guns at home" policy.

Also, it appears they include a 20% gratuity automatically. I'm surprised that Boaz is a regular.

#14 | Posted by sully at 2014-08-04 03:32 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 2

#14 | Posted by sully

There goes my plan A. Guess I will go with Plan B.

Never go there.

#15 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-08-04 03:42 PM | Reply | Flag:

Everyone here loves it

Obviously not everyone.

You don't like it? Don't come and eat here..

I won't.

#17 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2014-08-04 03:50 PM | Reply | Flag:

Easy way to make a quick buck off them.

#16 | Posted by nastrand2000

Hmmmm I like your thinking...Capitalism at its finest.

#18 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-08-04 04:48 PM | Reply | Flag:

Matthew 6:5 "When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. 6"But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.…

#19 | Posted by catdog at 2014-08-04 05:07 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 2

God bless this food we are about to receive and grant us it be served hot and on time without errors in the cooking or in presentation and the cocktails be strong and not watered down. Should the food come out cold or wrong forgive us for sending it back and asking for what we ordered to be made correctly. Please lord make sure the manager looks our way and sees our head are bowed in gratitude so we receive our gift of 15 percent for being good Christians in public.
amen

#20 | Posted by THomewood at 2014-08-04 05:36 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 2

@ NASTRAND2000

Only jerks would hate on people trying to be nice.

#21 | Posted by Tor at 2014-08-04 05:37 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Only jerks would hate on people trying to be nice.

#21 | Posted by Tor at 2014-08-04 05:37 PM | Reply | Flag:

If they were trying to be nice they would reduce the menu prices for everyone.

#22 | Posted by Sully at 2014-08-04 06:13 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 4

But Boaz - I thought you were fighting for our freedoms?

You didn't do a vary good job!

#23 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2014-08-04 08:46 PM | Reply | Flag:

Ricky Bobby's prayers to 8lb, 6oz Baby Jesus should pass muster in Winston-Salem, NC

Ricky Bobby family dinner prayer

#24 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2014-08-04 09:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

'Just so you know, we gave you a 15 percent discount for praying,'

Praying you don't get salmonella.

#25 | Posted by Harry_Powell at 2014-08-04 10:50 PM | Reply | Flag:

SULLY groups praying civilly adds to the atmosphere.

People being jerks does not.

#26 | Posted by Tor at 2014-08-04 11:27 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

I'm being religiously persecuted by NOT getting the discount!

#27 | Posted by larry609 at 2014-08-04 11:34 PM | Reply | Flag:

I'm being religiously persecuted by NOT getting the discount!

Posted by larry609 at 2014-08-04 11:34 PM | Reply

Larry with the digits can't you just fake it. You know just bow your head and then eat.

#28 | Posted by LarryMohr at 2014-08-04 11:44 PM | Reply | Flag:

I don't beleive too much but I pray they wash their hands after wiping their ass and if they have a hacking cough they go home.

#29 | Posted by bruceaz at 2014-08-04 11:50 PM | Reply | Flag:

Hobo's prayer"praise the lord and pass the potatoes"

#30 | Posted by bruceaz at 2014-08-04 11:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

LarryMohr - It violates my religious beliefs to bow my head. Now what?

#31 | Posted by larry609 at 2014-08-05 12:09 AM | Reply | Flag:

Pay full price

#32 | Posted by bruceaz at 2014-08-05 12:10 AM | Reply | Flag:

LarryMohr - It violates my religious beliefs to bow my head. Now what?

Posted by larry609 at 2014-08-05 12:09 AM | Reply

What he said

Pay full price

#32 | Posted by bruceaz at 2014-08-05 12:10 AM | Reply | Flag

#33 | Posted by LarryMohr at 2014-08-05 12:22 AM | Reply | Flag:

"Pay full price"

Exactly. Call it what it really is, a surcharge for non-Christian prayers.

#34 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-08-05 12:33 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 2

Praying? Um, no, that was a quick power-nap. But thanks anyway for the 15% discount.

Now, of course, I'll tip 20% on the original amount, thank you very much.

#35 | Posted by TheTom at 2014-08-05 03:43 AM | Reply | Flag:

SULLY groups praying civilly adds to the atmosphere.

People being jerks does not.

#26 | Posted by Tor at 2014-08-04 11:27 PM | Reply | Flag:

The owners are jerks. Good people don't make it a point to discriminate based on religion. From what I read on Trip Advisor, they're consistently rude to customers over other matters as well, even when they are clearly in the wrong. Typical of people who make a big deal about trivial religious gestures. Being a good person isn't about rituals its about how you treat others.

#36 | Posted by Sully at 2014-08-05 09:08 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Again SULLY groups praying civilly adds to the atmosphere though I continue to be curious if their supposed Christianity extends all the way around or just to the 15% discount.

#37 | Posted by Tor at 2014-08-05 09:56 AM | Reply | Flag:

"Again SULLY groups praying civilly adds to the atmosphere"

If a group of Hindus goes in there and adds to the atmosphere by saying their blessing, they're not getting a discount. The discount isn't for adding to the atmosphere no matter how many times you try to deceptively claim otherwise.

#38 | Posted by Sully at 2014-08-05 10:03 AM | Reply | Flag:

if i am praying at a restaurant or a bar, it is usually because--

1. the ravens are playing on the television and i humbly ask for divine intercession on an important 4th quarter, 3rd down play.

2. the waitress or hostess is scorching hot, we've got past the dinking around bit, we're in full flirtation mode and i'm trying to set up a homeschooling session with her.

3. a girl has kicked me somewhere very painful because i said the wrong thing to her (reference #2 above) and i wish to have the throbbing agonies quickly abated.

4. i'm on the bathroom floor (or parking lot asphalt, or bushes, or under the picnic table, or underneath the drive-thru window, or... etc.) promising the holy lord never to drink that much alcohol again.

#39 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2014-08-05 10:25 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 2

'm being religiously persecuted by NOT getting the discount!

Posted by larry609 at 2014-08-04 11:34 PM | Reply

that's cool

HEY why don't you get a lawyer and sue them...SHUT THEM DOWN!!!

prove once again that liberal tolerance is a figment of the imagination of every radical left wing america hating zealot....

( LARRYMOHR....look..I added america hating....just for you...lol )

#40 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2014-08-05 10:58 AM | Reply | Flag:

I have no problem with this policy as long as they're not jerks about it and as long as they accept all prayers. I'd go with Sam Beckett's version of the Lord's Prayer...

#41 | Posted by pragmatist at 2014-08-05 12:30 PM | Reply | Flag:

Satan, we thank you for this food. For rest and home and all things fun. For wind and rain and sun above. But most of all for those we do not love.

Would prayers to satan get the same discount?

#42 | Posted by soulfly at 2014-08-05 04:14 PM | Reply | Flag:

So, i find it funny, here and elsewhere it is being discussed on the ol' internet to many seem to take offence at this. So question for those of you who are making the "jerks only do it for Christians" type comment, bars around constantly have discounts for wearing team gear, do you feel the same way? Should a 9ers fan get the same as a hawks fan in Seattle?

#43 | Posted by salamandagator at 2014-08-05 04:33 PM | Reply | Flag:

" Should a 9ers fan get the same as a hawks fan in Seattle?"

#43 | Posted by salamandagator

The waitresses would be so busy laughing at them they'd probably forget to take their order.

#44 | Posted by Harry_Powell at 2014-08-05 04:41 PM | Reply | Flag:

Using religion as a gimmick to drum up business?

Thumbs up from Jesus.

#45 | Posted by Dave at 2014-08-05 05:49 PM | Reply | Flag:

For 15% I could fake a prayer now and then.

#46 | Posted by 726 at 2014-08-05 06:39 PM | Reply | Flag:

"If a group of Hindus goes in there and adds to the atmosphere by saying their blessing, they're not getting a discount."

Depends on what kind of prayer I suspect.

#47 | Posted by Tor at 2014-08-05 06:46 PM | Reply | Flag:

What is the big deal? It is a business decision intended to encourage participation. Usually religion is used as a means to divide the sheep so that the rich and ultra political gain more control.

#48 | Posted by Robson at 2014-08-05 08:43 PM | Reply | Flag:

#8 | POSTED BY TOR AT 2014-08-04 02:56 PM | FLAG:

You really are full of excuses, ehh?

I doubt you regularly run into serpents and scorpions, or try to help sick people where medical treatments have failed.

Carry on

#49 | Posted by kirk at 2014-08-06 09:19 AM | Reply | Flag:

Don't even get me started if you eat something contaminated....

Been there done that, and I ain't going back!
I pray Mark 16 and avoid driving that porcelain bus.

And I don't "test The Lord" by eating at (W)affle House anymore

#50 | Posted by kirk at 2014-08-06 09:22 AM | Reply | Flag:

#1 | Posted by northguy3 at 2014-08-04 02:30 PM

Guy Fieri absolutely opened my eyes to that myth - some of the most innovative and excellent cuisine isn't to be had at $30 just for a plate setting amid softly gurgling fountains - it's found in Diners, Drive-ins' and Dives!

On topic: Their public prayer doesn't effect me negatively, and in fact I find it charming. The discount is essentially for Christians by Christians, which seems unfair. I guess we could test their limits with supper prayers from around the globe. Maybe start with a prayer to the mako for not consuming us due to an abundance of mackerel, sprinkle the veggies with holy water and save the offerings to Cthulhu for last?

#51 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2014-08-06 02:57 PM | Reply | Flag:

By "holy water", I am referring to breast milk. Duh.

#52 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2014-08-06 02:59 PM | Reply | Flag: