Saturday, August 02, 2014

Arizona executioners used 15 doses of a lethal drug combination to kill inmate Joseph Wood during his botched, two-hour execution last week. The injection logs, which were handed over to Wood's attorneys by prison officials following the July 23 execution, showed the inmate was given his first dose at 1:52 p.m. He then spent more than an hour and a half gasping and snorting, according to witnesses, while the executioners continued to administer more doses of the drug cocktail. The logs showed the 15th dose was given to him three minutes before he was pronounced dead at 3:49 p.m.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

tonyroma

MORE STORIES

Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) reacted to news of the execution by describing it as "torture." "I believe in the death penalty for certain crimes," McCain said last week. "But that is not an acceptable way of carrying it out. And people who were responsible should be held responsible."

Comments

...and nothing of value was lost.

#1 | Posted by USAF242 at 2014-08-02 03:46 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

...and nothing of value was lost.
#1 | POSTED BY USAF242

Integrity means nothing to you? How sad.

#2 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-08-02 03:49 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

I don't believe the Constitution makes an allowance for the condemned's acts to be considered relevant within the 8th Amendment's prohibition to "cruel and unusual punishment."

The fact that the accused attorneys tried to make the case that the lack of the cocktail drug's pre-execution disclosure violated the condemned's rights to protection under the 8th Amendment. The jurists who ruled against this appeal seemingly should be subject to scorn or rebuke for the executed man's rights were indeed violated by the state.

#3 | Posted by tonyroma at 2014-08-02 03:51 PM | Reply | Flag:

Wasn't there a rule that if the method of execution is carried out but fails then the condemned goes free?

#4 | Posted by sentinel at 2014-08-02 04:02 PM | Reply | Flag:

Stop making it difficult to kill scum like this bastard and perhaps we'll have a cleaner execution.

Any flaws that happened are on the heads of the morons making it such a struggle to kill these thugs.

I would vastly prefer something provably within the guidelines of the Constitution, for example, the execution methods that were in use in 1784. But seeing as morons have made that impossible, I'll accept other execution methods, so long as they result in a dead thug.

#5 | Posted by USAF242 at 2014-08-02 04:15 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

So go make the foreign suppliers of execution drugs drop their own objections to what they see as a barbaric and inhumane act. No one in the US is trying to make executions harder but for pointing out how many innocent people stand accused of capital crimes who're later found out to be innocent. And some of those people are already dead, murdered by a fallible legal system.

I understand why foreign drug companies take the stand that they do. Life in prison is far more penal than death and far less expensive to the state. Too bad the revenge-obsessed refuse to consider logic over passion.

#6 | Posted by tonyroma at 2014-08-02 04:30 PM | Reply | Flag:

Its not revenge Tony, its a combination of utter contempt for the THING that made a willful CHOICE to destroys its own humanity, and an utter contempt for the idea paying to feed, house and guard the THING.

Yes, I'm aware that morons have driven up the cost of killing such scum so high it actually cheaper to house them, but that is a mistake of morons, and not something that should be rewarded by conceding to their stupidity.

#7 | Posted by USAF242 at 2014-08-02 05:05 PM | Reply | Flag:

Morons. Yes, they must be morons. *eye roll*

If this is the crap that we evidenced based reformists are lumped with, there is no hope for true CJS reform.

THanks a lot USAF. Your attitude perpetuates ineptitude. We are deeply indebted to you and your ilk. [/snark]

One more thing, USAF, do you have any objective clue as to what happens after death? Or are you like the rest of us who truly do not? If it's the latter, why in the hell would you advocate for the death of a murderous thug? You are just like the rest of us as being ignorant to what really happens in death. So why not subject the murderous thug to a punishment that we objectively know is tortuous? You do know why people commit suicide in solitary confinement, right? Because it is worse than death, obviously.

#8 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-08-02 06:13 PM | Reply | Flag:

#7 | POSTED BY USAF242

It's too bad you despise our form of government. It truly is a shame considering your boastful handle.

#9 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-08-02 06:16 PM | Reply | Flag:

disgusting incompetence

#10 | Posted by nutcase at 2014-08-02 09:02 PM | Reply | Flag:

i oppose the death penalty, but to ensure a prisoner is incarcerated for life (the only just sentence for 1st degree homicide & some other crimes), there must be a fiscally sound country. It's not going to work to run out of money & release homicidal sociopaths back into society; (i know execution is more expensive--unless the appeal process is halted).

#11 | Posted by kenx at 2014-08-02 09:19 PM | Reply | Flag:

How hard could it possibly be to find a drug that stops a persons heart in a heartbeat.

This is all contrived BS.

rwd

#12 | Posted by rightwingdon at 2014-08-02 10:53 PM | Reply | Flag:

They should contact the guy who executed Daniel Pearl. I think it only took about 15 seconds. He's actually a guest of the American Government right now.

#13 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-08-02 11:09 PM | Reply | Flag:

#7 | Posted by USAF242 at 2014-08-

Horse poop what you want is revenge.
everything else you have said is nothing but a coverup of your true motive of revenge.
and you do not give a damn if to get your revenge innocent people will die.

#14 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2014-08-02 11:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

Firing squad. problem solved.

#15 | Posted by zack991 at 2014-08-03 12:51 AM | Reply | Flag:

Idiots here don't even know what revenge is.

For it to be revenge, the scumbag would have had to do something to me, or someone I know.

What it is, is a visceral disgust at the mere EXISTANCE of a THING that made a willful CHOICE to destroy its own humanity.

'IT' made a CHOICE to cease to be human, to be less worthy of compassion than a destructive insect, to be actively evil.

I've been nearly killed by a careless driver, and after waking up in hospital and the terror of being in a neck brace, I LAUGHED IT OFF AND IMMEDIATELY FORGAVE the fool who hit me. I literally LAUGHED, and told him I understood there was no malice. Even if he had killed me, there would have been no evil.

But things are a bit different with murderous scumbags like the one thankfully now dead in this case. Petty malice taken to the point of murder (which describes a TON of gang members), yeah, I have LESS compassion for them than I have a roach I spray with raid.

#16 | Posted by USAF242 at 2014-08-03 10:00 AM | Reply | Flag:

You're no better than he is USAF.

#17 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-08-03 11:03 AM | Reply | Flag:

Brucebanner

You might not care that Debbie Dietz ever existed. You might not think her life was worthy of any consideration.

AND YOU ESPECIALLY MIGHT NOT BE ABLE TO DISTINGUISH BETWEN MURDEROUS KILLERS AND PEOPLE THAT PUT SUCH SCUM DOWN.

But some people CAN tell the difference, and some people will move heaven and earth to seek justice for victims of such thugs.

You build your view of justice of 'feel good'. It has no roots beyond thoughtless emotion, and above all, because it feels bad, you don't dwell much on justice for Debbie Dietz.

#18 | Posted by USAF242 at 2014-08-03 11:52 AM | Reply | Flag:

#7 | POSTED BY USAF242 AT 2014-08-02 05:05 PM | FLAG: THING SPEAK

Well now... if your moniker is indicative of current or past employment... then you yourself played in government sanctioned "THINGness. You were willing to kill and maim or aide and abet the murder and maiming of as many as necessary when someone directed you to do so. Your task wasn't to think about the killing and maiming yours was to just carry out the order.. even if it was a mistake... like Iraq. So I guess this just gives you some insight into the matter.

Seems to me that THING you make such sanctimonious judgements about was at least aware and emotionally driven with his actions whereas you an indifferent and impersonal attitude... which kind of makes you more of a THING. In fact to be willing commit homicide with such detachment is what psychopaths do. Psychopaths think they are ridding the world of garbage.

So Mr. Thing. Is that how you wanna go? Since that THING got what THINGS deserve you think you deserve to go like that as well?

#19 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2014-08-03 12:47 PM | Reply | Flag:

Rightistrite

A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

You're welcome.

Either you are trolling, or you are a moron. You know damn well that death in war is not the same as death by thug, or at least you SHOULD know it.

#20 | Posted by USAF242 at 2014-08-03 12:56 PM | Reply | Flag:

Idiots here don't even know what revenge is.

#16 | Posted by USAF242

I for one pity you your anger

#21 | Posted by truthhurts at 2014-08-03 04:44 PM | Reply | Flag:

i guess technically, human beings are all "things." We are considered things to eat by a wide variety of animals, diseases & parasites. It's just what nature does. And yet we have so nobly taken care of the Earth. What ingratitude!

#22 | Posted by kenx at 2014-08-03 05:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

#20 | POSTED BY USAF242 AT 2014-08-03 12:56 PM | FLAG: PPPFFFTTTT!!

Excuse me? Death of a human at the hands of another human is homicide. In your instance you wrap yourself up in the red white and blue and discuss it as some sort of noble purpose. It is still one human against another. The only thing separating military from the street thug is one is probably emotionally engaged in the activity the other compartmentalizing it. Either way it is murder.

I know you like it when the lock steppers and quasi lock steppers march along side you, afraid of offending you trip over themselves making sure they do not make you feel bad, for being hired assassins. Never the less that is the purpose for the military. The right or wrong of the pay to slay mindset of it has more to do with the imaginary borders we live in that in moral imperative or altruism. Some of us go for the okie doke others do not.

Do not mistake me for a pacifist because I am far from that. I know myself well enough to know I am capable of taking the life of another under certain circumstances. I know too, that you could not pay me enough to do that... or be willing to do that for a pay check... or for the temporary gratification an act like that may offer.

I recall when Bush held the made for TV war and Dr. Bob Arnot served as an embedded reporter and he witnessed an Iraqi soldier having his head blown off by a Marine sharp shooter. The event made him a little giddy. He commented on the event calling it "fantastic". Americans cheer and church attendance goes up as Americans go pray to god for victory in war.
Fast forward a few months and Matt Drudge is airing videos of Nick Berg's head swinging by a hank of hair clutched in the fist of someone singing Allah Akbar. Americans are outraged at those murderous thugs and their weird belief in god.

Two different stories about beheadings, one where the beheader is praised one where the beheader is called an animal.

The nation of Iraq was not guilty of the reason we attacked them. They were out armed militarily and frankly what our nation did was a form of bullying. Add to it the the delusion that people whom we had murdered their family members would start happily dancing in the streets because Saddam was no longer in charge is insane... and psychopathic.

Iraq is just one example of homicidal behavior under the divine edicts of war.

#23 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2014-08-03 09:28 PM | Reply | Flag:

Excuse me? Death of a human at the hands of another human is homicide.
#23 | POSTED BY RIGHTISTRITE AT 2014-08-03 09:28 PM | REPLY | FLAG

Do not open statements with crass stupidities such as this if you want the rest of your opinion to be read.

You support safe and sane abortions. So do I. But that you do is REALLY strange given that sentence you typed there.

It's almost like you type without thinking, and are a petty, trite creature capable not of thought, but only of emotional reaction and childish contradiction.

#24 | Posted by soheifox at 2014-08-03 10:24 PM | Reply | Flag:

Execution records released to Wood's attorneys on Friday reveal that the inmate was dosed fifteen separate times with two drugs, a sedative called midazolam and a painkiller called hydromorphone, before he died. In total, Wood received 750 milligrams of both drugs.

To put that in perspective, an anesthesiologist told the Associated Press that patients sedated prior to surgery typically receive no more than 2 milligrams of either drug.

Midazolam is not considered a "true general anesthesia" because patients treated with this drug often retain awareness. Indeed, one anesthesiologist told the Wall Street Journal that the states that use this drug in executions "literally have no idea what they're doing to these people." thinkprogress.org

This wasn't an humane execution, it was a state-sanctioned experiment in torture as John McCain so rightly posited.

#25 | Posted by tonyroma at 2014-08-04 09:29 AM | Reply | Flag:

A bullet to the head would have solved the problem a lot quicker and cheaper.

#26 | Posted by homerj at 2014-08-04 11:11 AM | Reply | Flag:

A bullet to the head would have solved the problem a lot quicker and cheaper.

#26 | Posted by homerj

Not really much concerned about enhancement of humans rights and the dignity of Man are you Homer?

You probably miss the good old days of ritual human sacrifices, too.

Perhaps you would like us to go back to using the guillotine? Fun times!

A majority of countries in the world has now abandoned the use of the death penalty.

The death penalty should be banned and should no longer be acceptable in a modern civilized society, given what we know about the arbitrariness and mistakes of any Justice System, and given the alternatives that are now in place.

Also you should be careful what you wish for others. God has a very strange sense of humor.

#27 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-08-04 12:55 PM | Reply | Flag:

#26 Spot on. .22 LR HP currently goes for a tad over $7/100.

#27 What do you think is more humane, Donner? A quick and instantaneous death from a small caliber bullet to the temple or a lingering death from the "humane" lethal injection?

Guillotine? Better than lethal injection. A week or so ago someone mentioned the movie "Circle of Iron", and I had the thought at that time that the scene where Eli Wallach is trying to dissolve his man-junk by sitting in oil is akin to lethal injection. Instead of a protracted and tortuous removal of the offending appendage, he could have just cut it off. In the case of execution, the offending appendage is the criminal's head. It'd be more humane to just cut if off instead of injecting a variety of chemicals to slowly achieve the same end.

#28 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2014-08-04 01:12 PM | Reply | Flag:

#27 | Posted by donnerboy

No, I'm not. He had the benefit of a trial by his peers and he was found guilty. The punishment was death. The article at hand was whether or not he was tortured. Do you think a bullet to the head is torture, or humane?

#29 | Posted by homerj at 2014-08-04 02:04 PM | Reply | Flag:

Do you think a bullet to the head is torture, or humane?

#29 | Posted by homerj

Have either of you ever shot anything in the head with a small caliber bullet?

The State killing it's citizens by ANY means is NOT humane. The justice system is not perfect and there are other alternatives. There is no reason for the death penalty other than to satisfy blood lust.

And your personal blood lust is not a valid reason.

#30 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-08-04 02:40 PM | Reply | Flag:

Have either of you ever shot anything in the head with a small caliber bullet? I doubt it. You have no clue whether it would be "quick and instantaneous". I used to raise goats. It was time to cull one from the herd. I thought I would just take my .22 and do it "quick and instantaneous". Six shots later he was finally dead and there was blood everywhere. It was horrible. I have never killed another goat like that again.

#30 | POSTED BY DONNERBOY

HAHAHAHA...really? 6 shots to kill a goat? God, you SUCK. Maybe you should have tried it with your eyes open. I don't even know how many 4-legged "dinners on the hoof" I've shot. I've single-handedly put a dent in the squirrel population around my house, and that's just using .22 Shorts. I can tell you with absolutely zero compunction that a .22 LR to the brain will kill most animals that will allow you to walk up and put the barrel on their forehead. Hell, I've seen video of guys who hunt wild hogs with air rifles.

#31 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2014-08-04 03:21 PM | Reply | Flag: