Thursday, July 31, 2014

David Wasserman: As a House analyst for the nonpartisan Cook Political Report, I've personally interviewed over 300 congressional candidates over the course of seven years, both to get to know them and evaluate their chances of winning. I've been impressed by just as many Republicans as Democrats, and underwhelmed by equal numbers, too. Most are accustomed to tough questions. But never have I met any candidate quite as frightening or fact-averse as Louisiana state Rep. Lenar Whitney, 55, who visited my office last Wednesday. It's tough to decide which party's worst nightmare she would be.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

Comments

A congress critter than can't handle basic facts isn't good for anyone.

#1 | Posted by Tor at 2014-07-31 04:06 PM | Reply | Flag:

Stephan King could have done that scary video.

#2 | Posted by Corky at 2014-07-31 04:44 PM | Reply | Flag:

"and when I pressed Whitney repeatedly for the source of her claim that the earth is getting colder, she froze and was unable to cite a single scientist, journal or news source to back up her beliefs."

Wow, she really IS the "Palin of the South"!

#3 | Posted by Harry_Powell at 2014-07-31 05:08 PM | Reply | Flag:

'The Palin of The South', reveling in her ignorance and stupidity...

#4 | Posted by catdog at 2014-07-31 05:08 PM | Reply | Flag:

Being a youngin', I can't recall there being people of this *ahem* caliber being elected to Congress.

Can any of you older guys recall so many loons being elected or even running?

I mean some of the other's (Bachmann, Cruz, Palin) were pretty bad, but this lady is truly scraping the bottom of the barrel.

#5 | Posted by jpw at 2014-07-31 05:31 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Can any of you older guys recall so many loons being elected or even running?"

Sheila.

Jackson.

Lee.

Ms. Whitney is going to have a very difficult time out stupiding SJL.

#6 | Posted by madbomber at 2014-07-31 06:02 PM | Reply | Flag:

SJL has been in office for two decades now. Crazy like a fox, I suppose.

#7 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-07-31 07:34 PM | Reply | Flag:

#6 | Posted by madbomber at 2014-07-31 06:02 PM

I'll see your SJL and raise you .

#8 | Posted by morris at 2014-07-31 07:42 PM | Reply | Flag:

Louie Gohmert. That got dropped, somehow.

#9 | Posted by morris at 2014-07-31 07:44 PM | Reply | Flag:

"SJL has been in office for two decades now. Crazy like a fox, I suppose."

Crazy? Sort of. At least according to her staffers.

Stupid? Beyond belief. Recently made comments about North Vietnam and South Vietnam, living peacefully, side by side.

She also asked to see where Neil Armstrong planted the flag on Mars, while touring the Rover control center.

All politics aside, SJL is just plain stupid. She's stupid stupid. Indefensibly stupid. I would challenge anyone to come up with a politician that has said more stupid things.

#10 | Posted by madbomber at 2014-07-31 07:55 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Can any of you older guys recall so many loons being elected or even running?"

I recall there were some insane things said about AIDs in the 1980's and Cynthia McKinney was nuts.

But that's as far back as my knowledge of nuts in congress goes though we should remember there was a time when few people carried a video camera in their pockets.

#11 | Posted by Tor at 2014-07-31 08:03 PM | Reply | Flag:

Pete Stark was pretty far out there.....

Todd Aikin ..... well lets just say the stars aren't as far away as him...

Hank johnson, the Guam thing is priceless...

But IMO the winner is ....

1995 - with Major Owens.... with this classic.... "there were 200 million people who died just coming across" the Atlantic during the slave trade. He then elaborated, "So great was the number of people thrown overboard that it altered the ecology of the ocean; the sharks, even now, follow after ships on a trail, seeking the flesh that was thrown overboard in all those years." Yes, to this day the sharks tell their children where to go for good eatin', sort of like truck drivers giving the lowdown on the best restaurants.

#12 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-07-31 08:10 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

A Republican seeking the open Congressional seat in WI, Glenn Grothman could her a run for her money in the crazy department. Glenn does however interview reasonably well.

#13 | Posted by SLBronkowitz at 2014-07-31 10:03 PM | Reply | Flag:

Another "gotcha" question, posing as journalism.

She could have said NASA, or the National Weather Service, or NOAA. Their findings are ambiguous enough.

Here you go, though. Without googling, can you name a single scientist who supports the anthropogenic theory of global warming?

Not easy, is it?

How about one economist who believes that ObamaCare will be deficit neutral?

Can play this game all day. That's why they're called gotchas. Impossible to answer them, unless you're a full time policy wonk.

#14 | Posted by WhiteDevil at 2014-08-01 12:39 AM | Reply | Flag:

#14 Flagged stupid

#15 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2014-08-01 12:57 AM | Reply | Flag:

You're a two-time Obama voter. No right to call anyone else stupid. That takes it to another dimension.

#16 | Posted by WhiteDevil at 2014-08-01 01:11 AM | Reply | Flag:

You are a 2 time Obama voter,lol .McCain warmonger and Mitt the corporate raider,Obama lesser of evils,easy choice

#17 | Posted by bruceaz at 2014-08-01 01:23 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

#18 | Posted by bruceaz at 2014-08-01 01:26 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

"You're a two-time Obama voter."

In both elections the running mate Biden was up against was terrifyingly unqualified to be President and in both cases there were people planning to make them one.

#19 | Posted by Tor at 2014-08-01 02:12 AM | Reply | Flag:

I didn't vote for McCain or Romney. Or Obama. And Joe Biden is the stupidest Veep of my lifetime. Easily.

That's the best impeachment insurance one could imagine.

#20 | Posted by WhiteDevil at 2014-08-01 05:13 AM | Reply | Flag:

Stephen Hawking
Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Richard Dawkins

Without googling and in less than 1 minute.

#21 | Posted by RevDarko at 2014-08-01 06:48 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 3

"And Joe Biden is the stupidest Veep of my lifetime. Easily."

So you weren't around for the Dan Quayle era?

DanQuayleQuotes

#22 | Posted by Rincewind at 2014-08-01 07:46 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

cites Minnesota's Rep. Michele Bachmann (R) as a political role model, and takes kindly to the nickname "Palin of the South."

Those two things alone make her unqualified to hold elected office.

#23 | Posted by 726 at 2014-08-01 08:14 AM | Reply | Flag:

"Another "gotcha" question, posing as journalism."

Not really. Climate change is a real phenomenon. It's pretty much beyond discussion. Been documented for about the last 540 million years.

"Those two things alone make her unqualified to hold elected office."

Bachmann comes off as Abe Lincoln when compared to SJL. You may not like Bachmann's politics, but even stupid politicians know when to shut up. SJL is so stupid, she doesn't even recognize how stupid she is.

#24 | Posted by madbomber at 2014-08-01 10:37 AM | Reply | Flag:

#20 | POSTED BY WHITEDEVIL

Dunno, I always thought Dan Quayle was the dumbest VP in my lifetime.

#25 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-08-01 01:01 PM | Reply | Flag:

#22 | POSTED BY RINCEWIND

damn, beat me to it.

#26 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-08-01 01:02 PM | Reply | Flag:

DQ quotes sound like they could have just as easily been GWB quotes. It appears that neither one was a wordsmith.

#27 | Posted by madbomber at 2014-08-01 03:49 PM | Reply | Flag:

"If you've seen one city slum, you've seen them all." - Spiro Agnew

"It's like the neighborhood I would have grown up in, I think, if I had have grown up here." --Alan Keyes, on the Chicago neighborhood he chose to rent in after moving to the state to run for the U.S. Senate

"If Lincoln were alive today, he'd be turning over in his grave."
-- Gerald Ford (on Nixon and Watergate)

"President Washington, President Lincoln, President Wilson, President Roosevelt have all authorized electronic surveillance on a far broader scale." -Attorney General Alberto Gonzalez, testifying before Congress

"What a terrible thing to have lost one's mind. Or not to have a mind at all. How true that is."- Vice President Dan Quayle

"Hmmm, uhh, hah -- ummm -- I, the answer is -- I haven't really thought of it that way, heh, heh. Heh. Here's how I think of it. Ummm -- heh heh. First I've heard of that, by the way, I, ah -- uhh -- the, uhh -- I, I guess I'm more of a practical fella. Uhh. I vowed after September the 11th that I would do everything I could to protect the American people. And, uhh -- my attitude, of course, was affected by the attacks.ha ha ...ummm Let me see... I knew we were at a war. I knew that the enemy, obviously, had to be sophisticated, and lethal, to fly hijacked airplanes, uhh, into -- facilities that would, we would, killing thousands of people, innocent people, doin' nothing, just sittin' there goin' to work." -President George W Bush, after being asked if the war in Iraq and the rise of terrorism are signs of the apocalypse

#28 | Posted by Harry_Powell at 2014-08-01 06:16 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on you." ~ Rep. Virginia Foxx

"I saw the young man over there with eggs Benedict, with hollandaise sauce. And I was going to suggest to you that you serve your eggs with hollandaise sauce in hubcaps. Because there's no plates like chrome for the hollandaise." ~ Mitt Romney

"I had other priorities in the sixties than military service." ~ Dick Cheney on his five draft deferments

"We need to uptick our image with everyone, including one-armed midgets." ~ Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele.

"The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. I mean in this century's history. But we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century." - Dan Quayle

#29 | Posted by Harry_Powell at 2014-08-01 06:31 PM | Reply | Flag:

Another classic ------ tale. Delusional idiot or pathological liar? You choose.

#30 | Posted by nutcase at 2014-08-02 10:09 AM | Reply | Flag: