Tuesday, July 29, 2014

An Arizona man was arrested Friday after he frightened people with his openly carried AR-15 rifle at a waiting area of Phoenix's Sky Harbor International Airport. Peter Steinmetz, 54, removed the loaded rifle from his shoulder and the muzzle was pointed at the woman and daughter. He was booked into jail on suspicion of two counts of disorderly conduct for displaying a deadly weapon. Steinmetz, a director of the Barrow Neurological Institute, told police he went to the airport only to buy a cup of coffee and had no other reason to be there. Arizona law allows open carry in some parts of airports. He wasn't arrested until he took the rifle off his shoulder. "It certainly was concerning to other passengers at the airport, not knowing why this individual was walking around with an assault rifle slung over his arm," said Phoenix Police Sgt. Steve Martos.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

726

MORE STORIES

Comments

"Peter Steinmetz is actually Dr. Peter Steinmetz, Director, Neuroengineering Program at the Barrow Neurological Institute."

#1 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2014-07-29 10:58 AM | Reply | Flag:

#1 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2014-07-29 10:58 AM | Reply | Flag:

He obviously left his brain at home that day.

#2 | Posted by LarryMohr at 2014-07-29 11:01 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Article is a little short on details. I guess it doesn't matter so much if he pointed a gun at these people by "accident" or on purpose. But you'd think it would be a detail they'd include.

#3 | Posted by Sully at 2014-07-29 11:17 AM | Reply | Flag:

he pointed a gun at these people by "accident"

I am sure it was by accident.

But hey, this is what you can expect when you can be grown up enough to leave your war toys at home.

#4 | Posted by 726 at 2014-07-29 12:20 PM | Reply | Flag:

Hey, lets play soldiers!

Full grown little boys pretending to be warriors, only without all the irritating Military discipline, training, and having other folks shooting at you; but with all the self-aggrandizement associated with silently implying that you could kill em all if you so choose.

Well, there are some yards where you cant play that, boyzz.

#5 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2014-07-29 01:10 PM | Reply | Flag:

It sounds like he found the confrontation he was looking for. Next up? Lawyers. lots and lots of lawyers.

#6 | Posted by DeadSpin at 2014-07-29 03:56 PM | Reply | Flag:

Nobody in their right mind would go to an airport solely to get a cup of coffee. He wanted his open carry stunt to become an issue and it did. I hope he gets some jail time and a large fine for his idiocy.

#7 | Posted by rcade at 2014-07-29 06:01 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

"Steinmetz, a director of the Barrow Neurological Institute"

Someones enjoyed the Institute experimental drugs for the last time.

#8 | Posted by Tor at 2014-07-29 06:09 PM | Reply | Flag:

#7 If it's drugs, then many thousands are on them.

I bet he'd take castration over giving up his guns for that assault.

#9 | Posted by 88120rob at 2014-07-29 06:22 PM | Reply | Flag:

#7 | Posted by rcade at 2014-07-29 06:01 PM | Reply | Flag:

Must be the heat in Phoenix cooked his brain

#10 | Posted by LarryMohr at 2014-07-29 06:26 PM | Reply | Flag:

Post # 5: "Full grown little boys pretending to be warriors"

Exactly!

I own two Remington 870 Pump shotguns. The best firearm ever invented.

You can still buy one for less than $300 at Wal-Mart. Great for hunting small game and home protection.

These assault rifles aren't practical, and super expensive. These guys buy them just to make themselves feel tough.

#11 | Posted by shane at 2014-07-29 06:32 PM | Reply | Flag:

Depends upon the coffee and the barista....

Probably... I can't understand the reason why someone would want to create such an issue, unless on the gun forums he gets some much needed love.

Must be the heat in Phoenix cooked his brain
#10 | POSTED BY LARRYMOHR

Don't talk about Sammy_AZRI that way...

#12 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-07-29 06:59 PM | Reply | Flag:

These guys buy them just to make themselves feel tough.
#11 | POSTED BY SHANE

AR-15's were much more fun at the range than the Mossberg I was able to shoot. But there is a RodAndGun club near by that I may go to to learn to shoot skeet.

You can still buy one for less than $300 at Wal-Mart. - Shane

Same with the Mossberg 500, even had a combo (Big5), multi barrel for < $500.

#13 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-07-29 07:04 PM | Reply | Flag:

"AR-15's were much more fun at the range..."

Serious question... why? I don't fathom the appeal.

#15 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-07-29 07:20 PM | Reply | Flag:

#11 | POSTED BY SHANE AT 2014-07-29 06:32 PM | FLAG:

You can get an AR for $300. Recently even completed "piston gun" ARs have been going for what used to be the price of just the piston upgrade kit. I only built one during the price peak, and it has devalued considerably.

I like the 887 myself. It's an improved 870 with 2 pin takedown, synthetic coating, etc. You can get it the nitro mag version, with camo, for $500-$600 last I checked.

#16 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2014-07-29 07:36 PM | Reply | Flag:

Serious question... why? I don't fathom the appeal.

#15 | POSTED BY REDIAL

In my limited shooting experience, a survey class over 4 weekends, the AR-15 was simple to operate, there wasn't much recoil, I could see where the bullet hit the target. It was relatively easy even shooting righty when I am a lefty.

When I got to the larger 30 06 bolt action, it had a little too much kick for me to control being a beginner also being left handed trying to shoot righty, the bolt was frustrating my experience.

The shotgun was interesting, but didn't get the satisfaction knowing there was a spread I suppose, even when I hit the targets. I left that weekend unimpressed. Skeet might be different, I am open to that idea....

The 9mm pistol was pretty unnerving for me, couldn't see myself owning a pistol.

#17 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-07-29 07:51 PM | Reply | Flag:

---------------

He had no such thing. A policeman should know better.

#18 | Posted by soheifox at 2014-07-29 10:02 PM | Reply | Flag:

"AR-15's were much more fun at the range..."
Serious question... why? I don't fathom the appeal.
#15 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-07-29 07:20 PM

It's not my cup of tea either, but unless they justify their high-caliber weapons are for "hunting" you have little to fear, imo. Many geeks are into every aspect of their hobby - including packing bullets. They can be quite innovative.

These aren't necessarily the same people who outfit their rigs to "roll coal" - those are the idiots who should never have weapons or vehicles.

#19 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2014-07-29 11:25 PM | Reply | Flag:

On topic: a neuroscientist! How crazy is that?!

#20 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2014-07-29 11:26 PM | Reply | Flag:

#17 | Posted by AndreaMackris

Fair enough.

#21 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-07-30 12:08 AM | Reply | Flag:

"How crazy is that?!

It's a very fine line, REDLIGHT.

Obviously crazy enough to pick an airport to test the limits of the open carry law. Sane people don't do that kind of thing.

Conclusion: ~ DR.Steinmetz isn't banging on all 8 cylinders.

Next question? How much longer will Dr. Steinmetz be the Director of the Barrow Neurological Institute ~ ?????? Hmmmmm ~ ?????

#22 | Posted by Twinpac at 2014-07-30 12:38 AM | Reply | Flag:

"Obviously crazy enough to pick an airport to test the limits of the open carry law."

Well, fast food joints are getting to be old hat so you have to up the ante if you want to be in the news.

It's going to be interesting when the "Perfect Storm" of open carry protestors, CCW hero wannabes, paranoid conspiracy freaks and actual armed criminals catalyze in the same place at the same time.

#23 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-07-30 01:02 AM | Reply | Flag:

REDIAL

I'm wondering if this crazy "neuroscientist" did a coin toss.

Heads: ~ An airport

Tails: ~ A bank

#24 | Posted by Twinpac at 2014-07-30 01:15 AM | Reply | Flag:

Peter is a deranged ------, not a pleasant fellow.

I'm curious what compounds he is self-prescribed.

That little girl being interviewed is incredibly naive. Steinmetz has repeatedly refused to admit any motive otherwise incriminating himself.

He dresses somewhat challenged - shirt tucked into shorts with socks and shoes. I couldn't tell, but he was probably wearing a belt and deserves theme music.

One deeply scarey charade.

#25 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2014-07-30 01:35 AM | Reply | Flag:

scary spelling silly slapchop robot.

#26 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2014-07-30 01:36 AM | Reply | Flag:

"I'm wondering if this crazy "neuroscientist" did a coin toss."

I'd like to see one of these open carry fools try a Vegas casino. Binion's would be a good place to start.

#27 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-07-30 01:38 AM | Reply | Flag:

Sounds like a right-wing version of the bearded sheiks who got on to a plane and started praying and chanting loudly until the other passengers complained and they got taken off the plane, then complained about "profiling".

All of them are attention-seeking loons who should go to jail for -------------, a crime I made up myself, just now.

#28 | Posted by WhiteDevil at 2014-07-30 01:40 AM | Reply | Flag:

Just curious if anyone noticed that the officers did not react to his movement or that it was at their request?

#29 | Posted by salamandagator at 2014-07-30 02:06 AM | Reply | Flag:

He had no such thing. A policeman should know better.

#18 | Posted by soheifox

You're right, he should have said "fake" assault rifle.

#30 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2014-07-30 02:08 AM | Reply | Flag:

You can get an AR for $300

Where?

I just might have $300 sitting around.

#31 | Posted by jpw at 2014-07-30 02:31 AM | Reply | Flag:

Serious question... why? I don't fathom the appeal.

#15 | POSTED BY REDIAL AT 2014-07-29 07:20 PM | FLAG:

Low recoil, very accurate, reliable composite magazines, low to moderate operating costs, easy maintenance. Low recoil is key. You can spend a day at the range and not feel it. We teach small women to shoot with it. You can shoot it a lot, and people like to shoot a lot when they shoot. That's the appeal in a nutshell.

They're okay for hunting, very ideal for coyote. They are not a traditional "deer rifle" though, deer rifles spit out bigger, heavier bullets, with 3 times the kinetic energy of a .223 AR-15.

You can shoot my 7mm rem mag or .270 winchester ... maybe a half dozen times, and you're going to know it the next day. It's also much more expensive. The ammo we use in those is 6x - 8x more expensive than the AR-15 ammo.

#32 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2014-07-30 11:57 AM | Reply | Flag:

You can get an AR for $300
Where?
I just might have $300 sitting around.

#31 | POSTED BY JPW AT 2014-07-30 02:31 AM | FLAG:

You can get $100 complete lowers and $200 uppers on GunBroker. Add a little for FFL fee on the lower. You can find the same prices shopping the various vendors websites like Palmetto State Armory and watch for sales.

I recently saw a $600 adam arms piston gun sale. Those used to be $1500+.

#33 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2014-07-30 12:00 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Low recoil, very accurate, reliable composite magazines, low to moderate operating costs, easy maintenance. Low recoil is key. You can spend a day at the range and not feel it."

So what makes it any different from a .22-250 bolt? Or do people just like blasting ammo clip after clip? If that's the case, why not a Mini-14 or something like it?

#34 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-07-30 12:21 PM | Reply | Flag:

#34 | POSTED BY REDIAL AT 2014-07-30 12:21 PM | FLAG:

.22-250 just didn't catch on like .223. Military acceptance assured it a huge supply side market advantage.

The Mini-14 has market obstacles. It is only made by 2 companies. AR-15 are made by over 100 companies at this point. The guys who take up the most wall space in stores will sell the most guns.

#35 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2014-07-30 01:25 PM | Reply | Flag:

"If that's the case, why not a Mini-14 or something like it?"

The ar is like it. Both fairly lightweight, semi-auto, .223 caliber, detachable magazine, rifles. What do the aesthetics have to do with anything? Besides you can set up a mini-14 or mini-30 to look similar to an ar-15 if you so desire.

"So what makes it any different from a .22-250 bolt?"
Some prefer a semi-auto, it's a different style of shooting. Not much different then a pump shotgun verses a break action.

#36 | Posted by salamandagator at 2014-07-30 01:48 PM | Reply | Flag:

Hey, could you guys argue about carts v mags again?

It gets Sarah Palin hot and distracts BL2.

#37 | Posted by Corky at 2014-07-30 01:49 PM | Reply | Flag:

Oh i am sorry are we talking over your head again?

And if you are going to bother with the same tired joke, it's clips vs mags.

#38 | Posted by salamandagator at 2014-07-30 02:03 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Besides you can set up a mini-14 or mini-30 to look similar to an ar-15 if you so desire."

I know, I used to have one. I found it to be a much nicer rifle stock rather than with all the dress up stuff on it.

#39 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-07-30 02:42 PM | Reply | Flag:

It's also my understanding (based on reading forums and reviews) that it's not nearly as accurate as an AR. I've heard it described as "combat accurate", ie you'll hit a man sized target at 100 years consistently, but you won't shoot 1-2 inch groups with it.

Just what I've read, I haven't actually fired a mini with any sort of expectation of accuracy. And I agree with redial, I like the looks of the mini with the traditional wood stock.

#40 | Posted by jpw at 2014-07-30 03:19 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Just what I've read, I haven't actually fired a mini with any sort of expectation of accuracy."

The best I could get with mine was about 2 moa. The "target" model is supposed to be able to get sub-moa but I've never seen one.

I think part of the accuracy problem is with the fast twist and light barrel it tends to get hot fast, and semi-autos don't encourage patience.

#41 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-07-30 06:24 PM | Reply | Flag:

So what makes it any different from a .22-250 bolt?

#34 | POSTED BY REDIAL AT 2014-07-30 12:21 PM | FLAG:

I had forgot this, but you can get a .22-250 upper for an AR-15. It's surprising how many different calibers you can get uppers in. .300 blackout is popular for large grain, subsonic loads with suppressed hunting guns.. it sounds like a typical staple gun. The full-auto version is called a Honey Badger. I want one a .50 Beowulf upper for trips to bear country.

There is no other platform with that kind of flexibility on the market. Only the AR-10 is close, and it's just an AR-15 platform made for full sized rifle calibers instead of intermediate ones.

#42 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2014-07-30 07:25 PM | Reply | Flag:

#17,Posted by Andrea M.Your right about the 30.06,first time I shot one I had no idea,scope carved a Charlie Manson cut between my eyes.Felt like George Forman hit me in the face,my whole body was stunned.I held on tighter after that.

#43 | Posted by bruceaz at 2014-07-30 08:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

Arizona has always been open carry so I don't get this guys point.Today was 112 degrees low was 92,our brains are fried

#44 | Posted by bruceaz at 2014-07-30 08:33 PM | Reply | Flag:

.... The Big Criminals Vilify Ordinary Americans!

**** Oddly the Greatest & Vilest Criminals in America are NOW the Gun Owners...and not the US Govt "War Mongers" or their evil cronies the "Banksters"...who are together the same ones who have actively and persistently Raped & Pillaged the USA and many foreign countries under the Bush & Obama Administrations! How many innocent people around the world did the NRA or private American gun owners MURDER...or Bankrupt...compared to the Bush and Obama Regimes?

p.s. What about "Liability Insurance" for the President and the US Govt and their cohorts the CorpoRats/ Banksters...requiring them all to take out INSURANCE to REIMBURSE the American Public for Sweetheart "Bailouts" or for the Money and Lives LOST in any "Illegal Wars" or any other "Traitorous,Unconstitutional & Illegal" activities! Of course considering the rabid,rampant and widespread Criminal Operational Sphere of both the US Politicians and their CorpoRat Cronies,they could not afford Insurance that would ever hope to cover such staggering and steadily growing liabilities! The truth is that these Poisonous-Toxic groups have proven themselves too Dangerous and Disastrous to the Physical and Financial HEALTH of America to ever be trusted with any kind of authority!

#45 | Posted by AntiCadillac at 2014-07-30 09:24 PM | Reply | Flag:

"I had forgot this, but you can get a .22-250 upper for an AR-15."

You can get a .50 BMG "upper" for an AR-15.

Perhaps that is the AR-15 appeal... pick your parts like your were designing your own PC.

#46 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-07-31 12:09 AM | Reply | Flag:

We should all just get comfortable in living in a society where we have to become experts at telling the difference between a mass murderer and a redneck with an obsession guns. I personally don't want my children in the same area as some gun totting, untrained Zimmerman wannabe with delusions of grandeur.

#47 | Posted by ron81 at 2014-07-31 01:18 AM | Reply | Flag:

You cannot get a 50 bmg upper. You can get a 50 beowolf which is less powerful then a 223 but does not overpenetrate. The lower restricts the length of round so the best you can get are some short mags.

#48 | Posted by salamandagator at 2014-07-31 01:21 AM | Reply | Flag:

Ha, I was wrong, kind of. You can get a 50 bmg upper. But it has nothing to do with the ar platform is pretty much a stand alone bolt action single shot rifle that uses an ar stock. Hardly an ar upper but whatever.

#49 | Posted by salamandagator at 2014-07-31 01:44 AM | Reply | Flag:

Scope eye. Ouch.

Either you weren't shooting with friends or your friends are [...]holes lol

#50 | Posted by jpw at 2014-07-31 01:54 AM | Reply | Flag:

Ha, I was wrong, kind of.

#49 | POSTED BY SALAMANDAGATOR AT 2014-07-31 01:44 AM | FLAG:

There's no "kind of", you were completely wrong. Tactalite makes them and sells them specifically as AR-15 uppers. They'll pin to any AR-15 lower, which is the part that's actually a firearm.

They're just not fun to shoot. The poor little spring dampener can't hold a candle to the big dampeners on Barretts.

#51 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2014-07-31 08:33 AM | Reply | Flag:

" Tactalite makes them and sells them specifically as AR-15 uppers. "

Yes but it is a bolt action and uses only the stock and trigger. That's kinda like saying a horse drawn carriage made out of the rolling chassie of a 69 camaro is the same thing as a 69 camaro.

#52 | Posted by salamandagator at 2014-07-31 12:11 PM | Reply | Flag:

I'm always suspicious that "open carry without any sense" enthusiasts are actually anti-gun provocateurs that do this intentionally to get bad publicity. It will not be the first time that provocateurs do something outrageous to elicit a negative response from the public, just as we now see on this forum. What would be the incentive for someone with the credentials of this individual to do this?

steinmetz.org

steinmetz.org

#53 | Posted by Robson at 2014-07-31 01:08 PM | Reply | Flag:

Yes but it is a bolt action and uses only the stock and trigger.

#52 | POSTED BY SALAMANDAGATOR AT 2014-07-31 12:11 PM | FLAG:

Which is what every AR-15 upper uses. The upper can be direct impingement, piston, bolt operated, or pump action all from the same lower with the same stock and same lower parts kit.

Taking a 400 yard rifle that's only good for mid-sized game and in 10 seconds turning it into a 1000 yard rifle that can poke holes in light armored vehicles.. not the horse vs car comparison you think it is.

#54 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2014-07-31 01:19 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Which is what every AR-15 upper uses."

You remove most of the trigger group function, you remove the mag well. It's basically a barreled action in an ar stock. It does not load or fire like an ar it is closer to having a shotgun mounted underbarrel on the ar then making it an actual 50bmg ar.

I could take my 1903 barreled action and duct tape it or fab up a mount to the stock of my sks, it does not mean that i have a 30.06 sks.

#55 | Posted by salamandagator at 2014-07-31 01:27 PM | Reply | Flag:

A person's actions can be very predictable or very very strange.

I have a client who is an accomplished neurosurgeon. He has convinced his wife (who is a good OB/GYN) to begin selling all their assets and buying land in central america and gold. His firm belief is that Obama is going to allow the US to be taken over by muslims. When? He doesn't know. How? He doesn't know.

When asked how he has been alerted to this, he mentioned a name of a local radio host who has a 1/2 hour anti-Obama show that is on the air once a week from 5:30 to 6:00 am on Saturday mornings.

That is the only evidence he needs.

Somewhere in this OC dork's immediate past is one of them voices whispering into his ear about the government planning on taking his guns.

It is sad how fast fear can override an educated mind.

#56 | Posted by 726 at 2014-07-31 01:37 PM | Reply | Flag:

You remove most of the trigger group function, you remove the mag well.

#55 | POSTED BY SALAMANDAGATOR AT 2014-07-31 01:27 PM | FLAG:

You don't remove anything. It's all there still. The only place there's a rule that makes it not an AR-15 is in your head. It's okay to admit you were wrong instead of dancing all around it.. but that's just not you.

#57 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2014-07-31 05:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

"You don't remove anything."

It's not used and not necessary, it's removed from the equation.
If you take out most of the parts and change the function to something different, it's not the same thing. At best it's re-purposed. But i said i was wrong, someone makes something that they consider an upper. I don't think it is the same at all but whatever.

#58 | Posted by salamandagator at 2014-07-31 05:21 PM | Reply | Flag:

But let me ask you. If someone said they had a bolt action AR-15 what would you say?

It's kind like saying you had to pedal your Cessna to get it in the air. It's not a Cessna anymore.

If i mount a 57 inch flat screen on an ar-15 lower it does not mean that i have an HD plasma rifle now does it? Well at least not to me.

#59 | Posted by salamandagator at 2014-07-31 05:27 PM | Reply | Flag: