Sunday, July 27, 2014

The Chinese subsidiary of an American meat supplier has been accused of intentionally selling expired meat to restaurant companies. McDonald's and Yum Brands, the parent of Pizza Hut and KFC, halted orders from Shanghai Husi Food. Regulators in Shanghai said Saturday that the company forged production dates on smoked beef patties and sold them after they expired, Reuters reported. Parent company OSI Group said it would withdraw all products manufactured by its Shanghai unit from the marketplace. "I will not try and defend it or explain it," OSI chairman Sheldon Lavin said. "It was terribly wrong, and I am appalled that it ever happened in the company that I own."

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

Comments

Why anyone would willingly eat food originating or processed in a country where 10% of food oil is taken from the sewer, is beyond me.

#1 | Posted by censored at 2014-07-27 01:28 PM | Reply | Flag:

Global corporate citizenship? Don't blame the CEO Lavin, he like many others of his ilk who have found (connived?) their way to CEO corner offices is afflicted with the DNA of greed. Anything goes, and that is connected to lack of ethics, from creating war to outright thievery, and it's all so they can make another buck, and society at large is paying for the outcome. Culture and bad behavior doesn't start at the bottom. Ask Wall Street.

#2 | Posted by Robson at 2014-07-27 06:12 PM | Reply | Flag:

one wiff tells you, unless its frozen or cooked, both can hide the odor

#3 | Posted by nutcase at 2014-07-27 08:23 PM | Reply | Flag:

They deal with China because they don't want the expense that comes with handling food in a sanitary manner. Then they act surprise when something like this comes to light.

Not buying the act.

#4 | Posted by Sully at 2014-07-28 09:51 AM | Reply | Flag:

onewaytothebay.files.wordpress
.com

mcserved.com

All you need to know.

#5 | Posted by Shawn at 2014-07-28 11:04 AM | Reply | Flag:

Wow Censored,

Those are some radical links. Especially about the chicken claim, I don't know how much of that is true. The company I work for now is a major chicken manufacturer. we have our own hatchery, farms and processing plants. I have watched the chicks from hatching, to growing, to processing plant. I know who buys from this company so I know which is safe.

McDonalds, KFC and several other places here in the South only buy from the company I work for.

#6 | Posted by boaz at 2014-07-28 11:28 AM | Reply | Flag:

Boaz, I was good friends with the guy who had the McDonald's contract for all poultry products in Spain. The Spaniards laughed at him saying his chicken must suck if ends up at McDonald's. Nothing further from the truth as quality control with periodic inspections is top priority.

#7 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2014-07-28 12:32 PM | Reply | Flag:

Wow Censored,
#6 | Posted by boaz at 2014-07-28 11:28 AM

Doesn't that situation inhumanely "farm"? How can you put up with it?

More to the point - what makes you believe that Chinese corporations being contracted by McDonalds for processing imported chicken into patties and nuggets for export back into the United States will be cleaner, safer and "cheeper"?

I have a feeling that your bottom line is a lot lower than even you can imagine..

#8 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2014-07-28 12:46 PM | Reply | Flag:

These a******s are always sorry and appalled when they are caught. Save your song and dance you p.o.s.

#9 | Posted by 726 at 2014-07-28 01:09 PM | Reply | Flag:

Expired meat is usually called "Managers Special". Apparently, McD and KFC like specials!

Plus, there's that old Chinese proverb, "Meat not bad. Meat change like butterfly."

#10 | Posted by DeadSpin at 2014-07-28 04:49 PM | Reply | Flag: