Sunday, July 27, 2014

New York Times editorial board: It took 13 years for the United States to come to its senses and end Prohibition, 13 years in which people kept drinking, otherwise law-abiding citizens became criminals and crime syndicates arose and flourished. It has been more than 40 years since Congress passed the current ban on marijuana, inflicting great harm on society just to prohibit a substance far less dangerous than alcohol. The federal government should repeal the ban on marijuana.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

mysterytoy

MORE STORIES

The state of New York earlier this month became the 23rd state to legalize the use of medicinal marijuana, reports Politico.

The paper announced, "On Monday at 4:20 p.m. Eastern Time, Andrew Rosenthal, the editorial page editor, will be taking questions about marijuana legalization here at Facebook."

Comments

'Bout time.

#1 | Posted by Diablo at 2014-07-26 09:56 PM | Reply | Flag:

bravo...50 years late.

#2 | Posted by ichiro at 2014-07-26 10:40 PM | Reply | Flag:

When we finally do this what does society say to the millions who have gone to jail for posession of an innocuous weed? How will my boss defend his demand that I be tested for the presence of THC in my urine? I still remember confronting the A**H**E that did the lie detector interrogations for a company I worked for right after the practice was outlawed by Congress. Suddenly that low life scum bag lost his ability to dig into employee's personal lives and it felt good to laugh in his face as he lost his income. I don't know what happened to him after that but I do hope it wasn't good. Now I look forward to the drug testing industry going belly up and every single one of their employees ending up on the unemployment rolls. Every last one of them is a scum bag. Anyone that made a living off of the prohibition against marijauna is a leech on society, be they judges, lawyers, police, etc.

#3 | Posted by danni at 2014-07-27 09:14 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 3

Danni,

I hate the anti drug industrial complex as much as the next guy but it is not so easy as that. LabCorp and Quest Diagnostics are two of the biggest drug testing companies around but that is not all they do. My doctor uses LabCorp for all his testing. My Cholesterol is checked by LabCorp. So make them loose the income from drug testing and what happens to the price of my cholesterol check? Same with Judges and many cops busting and prosecuting drug crimes may be part of their job but it is not all of their job. As far as lawyers goes what about the lawyers who make their living defending stoners are they the bad guy too?

Very few "make their living" off marijuana prohibition but quite a few owe a portion of their living to it no matter if they support it or not.

#4 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2014-07-27 09:24 AM | Reply | Flag:

I still can't figure out how drug testing is not a violation of the 4th amendment.

#5 | Posted by kudzu at 2014-07-27 09:58 AM | Reply | Flag:

" So make them loose the income from drug testing and what happens to the price of my cholesterol check?"

I know a bit about these laboratories and if you did away with drug testing it would effect the price of other tests one iota because there are more than one or two laboratories and they compete for business very aggressively with each other.

#6 | Posted by danni at 2014-07-27 11:50 AM | Reply | Flag:

"As far as lawyers goes what about the lawyers who make their living defending stoners are they the bad guy too?"

Most of them would vote against any politician who talks about legalization, they charge a pretty penny to defend someone. I would have no sympathy for anyone who lost their income due to legalization, it's all money made off the backs of people who just want to smoke an innocuous weed.

#7 | Posted by danni at 2014-07-27 11:53 AM | Reply | Flag:

"I, being someone who would love to light up, would not want marijuana to be 'legalized'. I want it to be taxed, regulated for strength, and sold at licensed facilities. IOW, just like alcohol."

I think that is what is meant by most people who speak of "legalization." If you press them, most of them talk about age requirements to purchase, etc.

And Danni, I don't know about testing in the workplace, but I do know I don't think one should be high at work any more than one should be drunk at work. Now if the three-martini lunch standard were still around... : )

#8 | Posted by pragmatist at 2014-07-27 02:06 PM | Reply | Flag:

it depends on the quality of the work you do, Prag.
and that all that getting and maintaining a job should depend on.

some people, in some jobs, may perform better using marijuana.

get used to fact based real life, with the unflagging and exceptional american idea of liberty backing it up.

GET A CLUE people.

#9 | Posted by ichiro at 2014-07-27 03:09 PM | Reply | Flag:

Slightly apropos of the topic, I just had a jury come back 'not guilty' on Friday on a charge of dui marijuana. Ten out of the twelve jurors acknowledged they had smoked mj at some point in their lives during jury selection. Also, because there is no 'number' (such as .08 for alcohol) as to the amount of mj in the system which correlates to being unable to safely drive, they felt the police officer's conclusions were way too subjective.
Ten years ago this client likely would have been convicted. We as an entire society have evolved on this issue. The only analogy that comes to mind is the similar shift over gay marriage.

#10 | Posted by moder8 at 2014-07-27 04:08 PM | Reply | Flag:

An easy issue for the left and right to agree on. Unless you work for the DEA, and all the other police agencies that riddle Government. The other group are the purists that do not want to contaminate their bodies with anything.

#11 | Posted by nutcase at 2014-07-27 08:18 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

#10 | POSTED BY MODER8

According to the officer was the driver driving sloppily?

Would an alcohol level under DUI, plus the addition of Marijuana be a problem?

I don't know the answer to this, but I hear the Feds are working on it.
www.usatoday.com

#12 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-07-27 08:49 PM | Reply | Flag:

Good news. I too, would like to know a more about the officer's factual allegations, give us the details.

#13 | Posted by et_al at 2014-07-27 08:54 PM | Reply | Flag:

F the New York Times.

Those hypocrites will still test new employees for drugs while editorializing about legalization.

www.huffingtonpost.com

#14 | Posted by hoser at 2014-07-27 09:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

9: I did not say that people can't perform better high. I offered my general opinion that one should not be high at work. I stand by that--I expect most people would perform less well at their given tasks while stoned. I don't want someone drunk at work either. What people do in their own time is their business, as long as it doesn't spill over...

Oh, and for the record, I'm glad to see the direction of change in attitudes toward the consumption of marijuana.

#15 | Posted by pragmatist at 2014-07-27 09:53 PM | Reply | Flag:

Go to any AA related meeting and the entry drug for 90% of the was weed.

#16 | Posted by RobThomas at 2014-07-27 10:09 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 3

I don't know anybody that tried weed before trying alcohol. RobTom is full of it.

#17 | Posted by nutcase at 2014-07-27 10:16 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 4

#16 | Posted by RobThomas
"Go to any AA related meeting and the entry drug for 90% of the was weed."

For alcoholics?

#18 | Posted by TheTom at 2014-07-28 03:37 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

The Gray Lady she ain't shady ~ this makes much sense, dollars and cents

#19 | Posted by kenx at 2014-07-28 08:52 AM | Reply | Flag:

Wow, did anyone among the progressive community accuse the old gray ---- of becoming Libertarian?

#20 | Posted by docnjo at 2014-07-28 10:16 AM | Reply | Flag:

I get high with my employees all the time.

#21 | Posted by shirtsbyeric at 2014-07-28 10:50 AM | Reply | Flag:

#10 | Posted by moder8 at 2014-07-27 04:08 PM

LabCorp and Quest Diagnostics can can discriminate between active cannabinoids versus inactive. They choose not to, and thus a larger net is cast to ensnare everyone smoking within a three-month period of their lives.

While it's nice that a jury has more sense than 40 years of Federal legislation, it's also sickening to note that decriminalization is being obstructed by our own police, doctors and justices. Members of our immediate communities are tied into criminalizing regular citizenry - all to profit from our incarceration.

#22 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2014-07-28 01:21 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

some people, in some jobs, may perform better using marijuana.

#9 | Posted by ichiro at 2014-07-27 03:09 PM | Reply | Flag:idiot

LOL. Yes - for instance airline pilots, doctors, engineers, military personnel in combat, police officers, dentists, teachers, construction workers.......the list is ENDLESS!

Musicians and actors - only two I could think of - oh, and democrat politicians.

#23 | Posted by e_pluribus_unum at 2014-07-28 03:56 PM | Reply | Flag:

One of my buddies is the president of a medium sized company. They just decided to stop testing for marijuana. He seemed happy, as now he doesn't need to worry about replacing potheads.

NY should do this. DeBlasio, at the very least, has laid out a very progressive, very expensive agenda. By taxing pot the way they have in Colorado, he might have a decent way to fund this enterprise, without having to confiscate money from income earners. Of course, being a progressive, that might rob him of the opportunity to confiscate money from income earners.

#24 | Posted by madbomber at 2014-07-28 08:26 PM | Reply | Flag:

If mj were legalized tomorrow, the prison-law enforcement complex would only find other behavior to criminalize and maintain full employment among their ranks.

#25 | Posted by moder8 at 2014-07-28 08:48 PM | Reply | Flag:

"But the bureau is rethinking that stance, according to FBI Director James B. Comey, who addressed the issue at an annual conference in New York on Monday.

Mr. Comey said that the FBI may have to loosen up its stance in order to attract talented new agents, especially those equipped to go after some of the world's most sophisticated hackers and cybercriminals. He spoke on the same day that the Justice Department indicted five Chinese army officers, alleging they hacked into U.S. companies' computers, a charge that Beijing denied.

Congress has authorized the FBI to add 2,000 personnel to its rolls this year, and many of those new recruits will be assigned to tackle cybercrimes, a growing priority for the agency. That is a problem, said Mr. Comey, as a lot of the nation's top computer programmers and hacking gurus are also fond of marijuana.

"I have to hire a great work force to compete with those cybercriminals, and some of those kids want to smoke weed on the way to the interview," Mr. Comey said. He added that the agency was now "grappling" with how to amend its marijuana policies."

online.wsj.com

#26 | Posted by danni at 2014-07-28 09:09 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

As an engineer, i would never ever want to be high at work. The work is too cerebral and requires a high level of concentration, if you do it well.

But when i get home at the end of the day.....

#27 | Posted by kudzu at 2014-07-29 08:53 AM | Reply | Flag: