Sunday, July 27, 2014

An ESPN host has been taken to task by one of his own colleagues for comments he made during a discussion of Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice's two-game suspension for punching his fiancee. Rice was captured on camera knocking his then-fiancee (now wife) unconscious at an Atlantic City casino and dragging her limp body from the elevator. In a meandering comment, Stephen A. Smith comes to the conclusion that while no man should ever hit a woman, he said to women watching, "Let's make sure we don't do anything to provoke wrong actions. I think that just talking about what guys shouldn't do, we got to also make sure that you can do your part to do whatever you can do to make, to try to make sure it doesn't happen." Another ESPN host, Michelle Beadle, responded on Twitter, "So I was just forced to watch this morning's First Take. A) I'll never feel clean again B) I'm now aware that I can provoke my own beating."

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

AndreaMackris

MORE STORIES

I am going to go out on a limb and say the host believes "real men respect women" ... What is that respect, what does that mean?

IMO, Guys that beat women need PUA Game, and spin some plates. No women is worth so much attention.

Comments

I heard that...this guy's nuts...but of course he came back and 'explained' it to us....

rice should be in jail not the sidelines..

#2 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2014-07-26 10:26 PM | Reply | Flag:

If someone wants to make an argument that basically women should avoid what once was known as "fighting words," maybe they should find a man that gives more sympathy to the cause than a caveman of a football player who then drags "his" woman around after knocking her tfo.

Call it old fashioned, but I don't hit the handicapped, crying babies, or any women short of Ronda Rousey. And then, only because she'd probably consider it foreplay.

#5 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-07-27 12:21 AM | Reply | Flag:

Men don't beat women because they lack "PUA game." They beat women because they have anger and impulse control problems and can't stop themselves from beating women.

If they had "game" they'd beat the women they picked up.

What they need is jail and mental health counseling.

(Note: Some women beat men too. Same principle applies.)

#6 | Posted by rcade at 2014-07-27 09:48 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

The fascist media is a weapon of mass propaganda.

Throw out your tv.

#7 | Posted by Shawn at 2014-07-27 11:06 AM | Reply | Flag:

To suggest that women are responsible for anything, is a gut punch.

Major snafu.

#8 | Posted by fresno500 at 2014-07-27 11:19 AM | Reply | Flag:

A guy might hit a woman who is actively attacking him, to stop the assault. To do so for an insult just demonstrates early lack of proper example in the home & perhaps lack of a father to discipline inappropriate aggression (ideally with non-aggression).

#9 | Posted by kenx at 2014-07-27 01:07 PM | Reply | Flag:

I understand Beadle's point. And in this particular situation I would think that Ray Rice is strong and quick enough to subdue this lady without punching her in the face.

But who honestly thinks it is impossible to provoke your own beating?

I've seen drunk guys do it all the time. Done it myself.

#10 | Posted by Sully at 2014-07-27 01:13 PM | Reply | Flag:

Smoking a joint is a longer suspension than domestic violence.

Good thing they have their priorities straight...

#11 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2014-07-27 01:18 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 2

Look to your nearest ghetto to see this logic in action.

#12 | Posted by FlyUntied at 2014-07-27 02:39 PM | Reply | Flag:

The NFL and every other taxpayer subsidized pro sports franchise would be paying their owners and players a lot less and more responsibly, if they had to build and maintain their own stadiums and venues, instead of bribing crooked political cronies to pass it on taxpayers. The crony capitalist system was first initiated when the public was put on the hook for sports.

#13 | Posted by Robson at 2014-07-27 02:57 PM | Reply | Flag:

The advice seems sound to me.

I would advise anyone to avoid angering and provoking a professional football player.

#15 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-07-27 03:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

Sound advice, if around those that are easily offended, with poor impulse control, and inclinations towards capricious violence.

#16 | Posted by FlyUntied at 2014-07-27 04:42 PM | Reply | Flag:

Perhaps I didn't make my point above. If the NFL football players weren't paid so well courtesy of average Americans, they'd be treated just like you and I, and go to jail for beating a "fiancee" , instead of only being suspended for 2 games.

The issue should always be a straight forward what they did, not what they are.

#17 | Posted by Robson at 2014-07-27 06:17 PM | Reply | Flag:

Flag:

#16 | Posted by FlyUntied at 2014-07-27 04:42 PM | Reply | Flag:

I've been on the bad end of a blow up and it wasn't pretty, but I kept my composure while walking away from situation. Some women don't know, not all guys are like that, you put your hands on them even once, its lights out.

#18 | Posted by daniel_3 at 2014-07-27 07:56 PM | Reply | Flag:

**** Stephen A. Smith if the prudes start getting to you REMEMBER that Benjamin Netanyahu and the Israeli Govt are always looking for a man with your no nonsense morality and judgement!

#19 | Posted by AntiCadillac at 2014-07-27 08:17 PM | Reply | Flag:

-Done it myself.

Frequently around here.

#20 | Posted by Corky at 2014-07-27 08:20 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Look to your nearest ghetto to see this logic in action."

#12 | POSTED BY FLYUNTIED

Right, because white, middle class guys don't beat their wives. And the fact that a rich white guy gave him the 2 game suspension went right over your head.

#21 | Posted by TheRef65 at 2014-07-27 11:24 PM | Reply | Flag:

The nfl and it's fans: guy serves jail time for illegal dog fighting. Is called scum. And his ability to play challenged very day.

Guy beats his wife. 2 day suspension and defended.

#22 | Posted by Klifferd at 2014-07-28 08:47 AM | Reply | Flag:

I've seem some cat fights where I thought twice about breaking it up so as to not get my ass kicked. Mmmmmeeeeeeeooooooowwwwww!!

#23 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2014-07-28 09:08 AM | Reply | Flag:

YA want to know how to end 80% of violent crimes like rape in collages and universities? END ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIPS.

#24 | Posted by docnjo at 2014-07-28 10:22 AM | Reply | Flag:

I HAVE to say this joke, so forgive me. My impluse control ain't that great:

What do you say to a woman with two black eyes?

Nothing; you told her twice already.

#25 | Posted by kanrei at 2014-07-28 10:25 AM | Reply | Flag: