Thursday, July 24, 2014

Long Beach, California, police are investigating whether an elderly man who fatally shot a woman who was running away after ransacking his home in Bixby Knolls should be arrested in the killing. Tom Greer, 80, told KNBC-TV Wednesday that he shot the woman twice in the back when she ran away with a male accomplice even though she told Greer she was pregnant. "The lady didn't run as fast as the man so I shot her in the back twice. She's dead ... but he got away," Greer said," Greer said. "She says, 'Don't shoot me, I'm pregnant -- I'm going to have a baby.' And I shot her anyway." (Police later determined she had not been pregnant.)

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

Harry_Powell

MORE STORIES

Comments

Attaboy!

#1 | Posted by Harry_Powell at 2014-07-24 11:54 AM | Reply | Flag:

Well, it wasn't a baby...it was just a fetus. No harm there, right libs? And the fetus mama shouldn't be robbing people. You play with the bull, you get the horns.

#2 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2014-07-24 12:01 PM | Reply | Flag:

Apparently some gun nuts have to wait 80 years to play out their shooter fantasies.

#3 | Posted by Corky at 2014-07-24 12:15 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

At 80 years of age I imagine he is sick of dealing with people's crap. Good on the old codger.
As for the dead woman, oh well. Don't ransack people's property unless you're willing to deal with the fallout. In this case, she doesn't have to, but there's a lesson in there for other would-be thieves. That lesson?...Rob houses with somebody slower than you.

#4 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2014-07-24 12:21 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 5

He's so good at shooting people in the back he's been made an honorary Border Patrol agent.

#5 | Posted by Harry_Powell at 2014-07-24 02:19 PM | Reply | Flag:

He was just showing the baby it's 2nd amendment rights in action.

#8 | Posted by 726 at 2014-07-24 03:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

The burglars had fled his home and were outside when he shot and killed the woman. They weren't an imminent threat to him while fleeing, but here's one California lawyer whose self defense article suggests that might not matter:

"[T]he law in California says that a person who is attacked may even pursue his assailant if necessary."

socallawblog.blogspot.com

The link has this quote from California law: "a person may pursue his assailant until he has secured himself from danger if that course likewise appears reasonably necessary."

#9 | Posted by rcade at 2014-07-24 04:08 PM | Reply | Flag:

So if the fetus is a person, then didn't this guy just kill an innocent person?

So righties - is the guy a baby murderer or are fetuses not people?

#10 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2014-07-24 04:30 PM | Reply | Flag:

wow!

Right winger heads must be exploding!

Do they support a guy that killed the pregnant women that ransacked his house?

or do the express outrage that the guy killed the pregnant women that ransacked his house?

The pro NRA nuts will have to face off with the pro life nuts.

Its gonna be fun.

#11 | Posted by ClownShack at 2014-07-24 04:46 PM | Reply | Flag:

Damn!!!!

F'n great moment to have in a movie.

#12 | Posted by ClownShack at 2014-07-24 04:48 PM | Reply | Flag:

If he was an LA cop he would get a commendation. Only the state may use violence to force it's will.

#13 | Posted by visitor_ at 2014-07-24 04:57 PM | Reply | Flag:

Sorry shoot them in the back while they are fleeing, outside of the home, Manslaughter at least. However, If they are in the home and are starting for the door and you shoot them in the back, big difference. You do not know if they are going to turn on you, and self defense is still valid IMHO.

#14 | Posted by Anon451 at 2014-07-24 05:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

A two-fer! Cleaning the gene pool two at a time.

#15 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2014-07-24 05:22 PM | Reply | Flag:

#14 | POSTED BY ANON451 AT 2014-07-24 05:18 PM | FLAG:

Nope. Totes legit. They don't even have to be burglarizing your home depending on the state.

#16 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2014-07-24 06:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

A two-fer! Cleaning the gene pool two at a time.

#15 | Posted by gracieamazed

Ahh.. the hypocrisy of a pro-lifer.

#17 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2014-07-24 06:59 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Too bad, but an occupational hazard of ransacking peoples homes.

#18 | Posted by lel2007 at 2014-07-24 07:00 PM | Reply | Flag:

#16 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2014-07-24 06:58 PM

That may be the law, but IMHO once they pose no threat to you or your family, a good description of the thugs given to police, is better than shooting them in the back. Of course I may have fired a round into the ground with a shouted warning if they come back it will be in their face. But then I do believe in giving fair warning before I kill them.

#19 | Posted by Anon451 at 2014-07-24 07:04 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Good for him. I hope nobody goes back for him.

#20 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2014-07-24 07:15 PM | Reply | Flag:

Shot once in the back, probably excusable.

Shot twice in the back, outside the house and fleeing, manslaughter.

#21 | Posted by 88120rob at 2014-07-24 07:36 PM | Reply | Flag:

Shot twice in the back, outside the house and fleeing, manslaughter.

Apparently not by CA law.

However, there's the whole just because something is legal doesn't mean one should do it issue.

#22 | Posted by jpw at 2014-07-24 08:44 PM | Reply | Flag:

Anyone who invades and burglarizes others needs to understand the only thing left between major health issues and a life in prison is the need to become a law abiding citizen.

#23 | Posted by Robson at 2014-07-24 08:56 PM | Reply | Flag:

#19 | POSTED BY ANON451 AT 2014-07-24 07:04 PM | FLAG:

Warning shots are illegal. Shooting them in the back has proven to be the legal course of action before.

#24 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2014-07-24 09:20 PM | Reply | Flag:

Warning shots are a bad idea, across many levels.

#26 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2014-07-24 09:47 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

"So if the fetus is a person, then didn't this guy just kill an innocent person?"

She could've been lying, as lying & thieving are in the same ballpark. Had he shot her in the leg, lawsuit & potential future retaliation. And sorry, the baby was in for a rough ride, maybe neglect and death, with a mother of this calibre. The mother is solely responsible for what happened. Denigrate the old codger all you want, just don't burglarize his house!

#27 | Posted by kenx at 2014-07-24 11:13 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 2

I could care less if people shoots a robber over property or in their back. Real simple don't break into a persons home to begin with and you wont get shot. Real simple principle.

#28 | Posted by zack991 at 2014-07-24 11:25 PM | Reply | Flag:

But then I do believe in giving fair warning before I kill them.

#19 | Posted by Anon451
I never give a criminal the warning and hope they have mercy on me and my family and just leave. I don't know their intentions and if you are in my home, I shoot first. Their warning was the tingling sensation they got up their spine when they entered my home.

#29 | Posted by zack991 at 2014-07-24 11:31 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

As she ran away?

Guess not all conservatives think a fetus is a person.

This one didn't even think a pregnant lady was a person.

#30 | Posted by Tor at 2014-07-24 11:42 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Conservative hypocrisy. Surprised? Nope.

#31 | Posted by klifferd at 2014-07-25 12:26 AM | Reply | Flag:

#29 | Posted by zack991

Just curious Zack, how many criminals have you shot so far?

#32 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-07-25 12:43 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 2

"Shooting them in the back has proven to be the legal course of action before."

Certainly the most common course of action for heroic defenders of justice is shooting them in the back, given the opportunity.

Not given the opportunity, they seem to keep it in the holster.

#33 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-07-25 12:48 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

We'll if you are preggo, you probably shouldn't be burglarizing peoples houses!
When stealing other people's stuff is your "profession", getting shot dead is a hazard of the job you chose!

#34 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2014-07-25 01:06 AM | Reply | Flag:

I expect to see those idiotic xtians who have recently invaded NOLA to put this old man's photo on one of their wanted posters. I'm waiting for them to block the entrance to his house, and harass his visitors. This man is obviously an unrepentant abortionist. Oh right, the fake xtians won't show up at his house because he might shoot them and be proud of himself. You fetushists who support this guy are nothing more than hypocrites. Just like you fetushists who don't support food stamps, school lunch programs, free and easy access to all forms of birth control, etc., nothing more than hate filled hypocrites.

#35 | Posted by _Gunslinger_ at 2014-07-25 03:59 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

I wonder what the righties would do if she built a settlement in his house.

#36 | Posted by bored at 2014-07-25 04:03 AM | Reply | Flag:

Stateside none thank goodness, yet from personal experience overseas you never give a verbal warning or a warning shot period. If you have to use your weapon you never give away any advantage of surprise to the bad guy/gal. Doing so will get you killed, if they are a threat to you, you put them down as quickly as possible. Their actions put them there to begin and she felt it was worth her life to risk doing it. You always treat them with extreme prejudice because you never know how far they are willing to go in a encounter. That second you give them the benefit of the doubt, it will bite you in the rear end.

#37 | Posted by zack991 at 2014-07-25 05:47 AM | Reply | Flag:

For those who have been in the military or as a police officer should recognize this term of violence of action. You are never sure of the criminals ultimate intent, your only priority is for you and your family to survive. I do not care about that criminals life or if he / she intends to show me or my family mercy. I don't care for their excuses or their life story as to why they are breaking into my home, are they there to rob me, rape my wife or molest my kids? I don't know or care since I am waking up to attend to noises in the middle of the night or day in my home. They felt the risk of potentially being shot and killed entering someone's home illegally was worth the risk in hopes of gaining monetary items. I known from personal experience how fluid shootings are and how quickly they can go wrong, never give any advantages to a criminal in your home who will potentialy do anything to not get caught or steal from you.

"Violence of Action", means employing lethal force with full overwhelming impact to such an extent so as to cause a person to be full of fear and confusion allowing the defender the ability to obtain every advantage even though they may be outnumbered.

#38 | Posted by zack991 at 2014-07-25 06:38 AM | Reply | Flag:

She was probably going to the abortion clinic so he was just trying to save her money.

#39 | Posted by bph320 at 2014-07-25 07:43 AM | Reply | Flag:

Certainly the most common course of action for heroic defenders

#33 | POSTED BY REDIAL AT 2014-07-25 12:48 AM | FLAG:

I think you've watched too many movies. You are assigning contrived notions of nobility to violence. There are some common sense rules to fighting.. hate to say common sense because you only say that when people aren't using it...

1) Running away doesn't mean its over.
2) Never give up your back.
3) There are no time outs.
4) You don't get to pick when it is over.

If you want rules you should participate in combat sports, not rob homes and assault old men. The old men I know are the most likely to shoot you dead.

#40 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2014-07-25 08:02 AM | Reply | Flag:

I don't care if she was pregnant that doesn't give her a right to commit a crime.

She was a criminal looting your home.

But it depends on the sate if its legal or not to shoot her.

As far as the baby top democrats say its ok to kill unborn children so.

#41 | Posted by tmaster at 2014-07-25 11:24 AM | Reply | Flag:

Good thing he got rid of the mother mutoh before the youngling hatched, missed one though. more thieves need to be shot... not the ones stealing bread off a truck to live(if that class still exists)... definitely the ones breaking and entering

#42 | Posted by monkeylogic42 at 2014-07-25 04:15 PM | Reply | Flag:

Im almost ashamed of that last post for my lack of empathy,or sympathy or whatever normal people feel... but isnt this the reason abortion is legal? So mothers who couldnt afford it wouldnt be forced to take up this life?

#43 | Posted by monkeylogic42 at 2014-07-25 04:22 PM | Reply | Flag:

God, this is a bloodthirsty country!

#44 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2014-07-25 04:28 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

If you havent noticed there are indeed hordes of people out there who refuse to be a part of progressive, constructive society. These elements need to die out all over the world, otherwise all the progress made in the last 100 years will be gone in the blink of an eye. Stop coddling the stupid hordes.

#45 | Posted by monkeylogic42 at 2014-07-25 04:36 PM | Reply | Flag:

But....what about the gun.....we want to know about the gun....Assault weapon? Scary? CCW permit? Background? NRA member? Veteran of immoral Bush war?
-Libs

#46 | Posted by Greatamerican at 2014-07-25 04:44 PM | Reply | Flag:

Only a coward would shoot a person in the back when they are fleeing.

I see a lot of 2nd amendment cowards here.

Hope this old coward dies in jail.

#47 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2014-07-25 06:23 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

A two-fer! Cleaning the gene pool two at a time.

#15 | Posted by gracieamazed

It seems the righties here agree with this sick person opinion that it is OK to kill a fetus if you do not like the mother.
there was nothing this person could of own that was worth a humans life
you do not shoot people running away.
go to hell old man

#48 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2014-07-25 06:52 PM | Reply | Flag:

The DA will determine whether to charge the homeowner with anything. (My money is on no charges.)

The male burglar has been caught and is charged with felony murder:

www.cnn.com

The woman was not pregnant:

lbpost.com

#49 | Posted by rcade at 2014-07-25 07:10 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 2

Having learned more about the case I'm agreeing with Rcade.

Old guy was badly injured and in berserker/fight to survive mode.

It's also possible considering how many times his home has been invaded it's possible he knew they'd be back and they'ed kill him next time.

#50 | Posted by Tor at 2014-07-25 07:13 PM | Reply | Flag:

Old guy was badly injured and in berserker/fight to survive mode.

They'd just thrown him down and broken his collarbone and showed a cavalier willingness to stick around and take his stuff despite his presence. He's an 80-year-old man.

If he shot at them within 10-20 seconds of them fleeing the inside of his home, I think it's fair to consider his actions as self defense.

#51 | Posted by rcade at 2014-07-25 09:13 PM | Reply | Flag:

If I were on the jury trying this man he would go free.

#52 | Posted by danni at 2014-07-25 09:31 PM | Reply | Flag:

@ RCADE

I'm going to be more liberal on the time allotted and say three minutes is understandable.

#53 | Posted by Tor at 2014-07-25 10:43 PM | Reply | Flag:

Gotta change the headline in light of the revelation that the burglar was not pregnant. That and the can of whoopass the burglars opened on the old man.

Beaten Homeowner Fatally Shoots Burglar Who Claimed to Be Pregnant

#54 | Posted by DixvilleNotch at 2014-07-26 03:21 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Damn. How slow do you think those burglars ran?

#55 | Posted by rcade at 2014-07-26 08:46 AM | Reply | Flag:

Some posters owe the old man an apology.

As for the dead lady? I can't believe she lied about being pregnant. It's as if you can't trust home invaders anymore.

#56 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2014-07-26 09:02 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1