Thursday, July 24, 2014

A three-judge panel of the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans has handed a victory to the Sons of Confederate Veterans by ruling that Texas can't refuse to issue the group a specialty license plate with the Confederate battle flag on it.

The Texas [DMV] had rejected the organization's application for a specialty plate...because those who opposed it had argued that the so-called "Rebel flag" was offensive.

In a 2-1 vote last week, the court said the DMV had engaged in "viewpoint discrimination," and...had violated the free speech rights of the Sons of Confederate Veterans. The judges noted that the DMV had approved plates for other veterans' groups and military actions such as Buffalo Soldiers, Korean War, Vietnam and Operation Iraqi Freedom.

The panel's opinion said it "appears that the only reason the board rejected the plate is the viewpoint it represents."

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

Diablo

MORE STORIES

The above synopsis is from an editorial opposed to the decision but fairly representing the facts.

It's a tough call, I'd say, which is why I have long opposed all sentiment license plates be they animal friendly, patriotic, vegan, patriotic or, most nauseating, those obnoxious plates identifying political figures and their friends (a plague in NJ). The only reason this decision happened was the DMV allowed all sorts of other things on plates. The practice is due for abolition.

Comments

I posted 'patriotic' twice because there seems to be two definitions for it on DR.....NOT! My boo-boo.

#1 | Posted by Diablo at 2014-07-24 01:40 AM | Reply | Flag:

Nothing wrong with someone letting the rest of us know who we are dealing with. I like this.

The only thing I'm wondering is how the "Sons of Confederate Veterans" are still able to drive. They must be older than dirt.

#2 | Posted by Sully at 2014-07-24 12:40 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Oh look, honey, the people in the car in front of us have climbed Mt Ranier, AND visited Cap Cod. Apparently their child is an honor student and wears the #18 on her softball team. They seem like a swell family. Lets pull up next to them at the next redlightrobot and let them know how impressed we are!"

#3 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2014-07-24 12:47 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Specialty plates are like bumper stickers. They were Facebook before there was a Facebook. Strangers aren't impressed with your likes, dislikes, hobbies, or the places you've visited."

I can think of one example where I was impressed. A guy at work used to have a huge sticker across the top of his windshield. It was printed backwards so that it would read "Slower Traffic" with an arrow pointing to the right if seen through a rearview mirror. Had to be a magnet for police attention. Pretty big commitment to a just cause on his part.

Other than that, I tend to have negative associations with popular bumper stickers. I see a few people with a given bumper sticker act like a ------ and then I subconsciously associate that sticker with douchiness. Leads to incidents like my not letting someone merge just because he's been to Red River Caverns and not being sure why.

Then of course there is "Coexist" which I consciously hate. Don't tell me what to do, Moonbeam.

#4 | Posted by Sully at 2014-07-24 03:19 PM | Reply | Flag:

The fact that federal court system perpetuates this is all you need to know about the origins and consistent foundation of this country.

#5 | Posted by fresno500 at 2014-07-24 03:45 PM | Reply | Flag:

since when are advert (not vanity) plates a Right?

when does Hitler and the Stormfronters get theirs?

#6 | Posted by ichiro at 2014-07-24 11:43 PM | Reply | Flag: