Wednesday, July 23, 2014

The mayor of a community just outside Montreal died of anaphylactic shock Sunday after being attacked by wasps while on vacation. La Prairie mayor Lucie Roussel, 51, stepped on a nest and was attacked by 15 wasps. She was allergic to venom from bee and wasp stings but did not have an epinephrine injector with her to counteract anaphylactic shock, a neighbor said.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

Roussel leaves an 18-year-old daughter, Constance, and a 19-year-old son, Antonin. Before she entered politics, Roussel practised law in partnership with her husband, Yvon Lemay. He died of a heart attack in December 2009 at age 47.

Comments

May the lord bee with her.

#1 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2014-07-23 01:40 PM | Reply | Flag:

As a little kid me and the dog turned over a wasp's nest and they chased us all the way across the fields and into the house. The dog was stung terribly, as was I. Had a dozen or so of them stuck in the back of my shirt.

When we had rushed in the house, the screen door had caught a couple of dozen of them stinger first in the screen as they chased us. That was scary to see.

Never cared much for 'em since.

Too bad for these young people, having lost both parents.

#2 | Posted by Corky at 2014-07-23 01:47 PM | Reply | Flag:

"She was allergic to venom from bee and wasp stings but did not have an epinephrine injector"

That's gotta sting.

#3 | Posted by Harry_Powell at 2014-07-23 01:50 PM | Reply | Flag:

I thought this was about Rob Ford. He was looking pretty swollen.

#4 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2014-07-23 02:08 PM | Reply | Flag:

#2 Corky,

A nightmare for sure.

#5 | Posted by boaz at 2014-07-23 03:29 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

White Anglo Saxon People attacked and killed this poor lady? That's awful!

#6 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2014-07-23 03:41 PM | Reply | Flag:

When I was 12 or 13, I used to hear an "animal" scratching in the attic at night. Sometimes it would keep me awake. I remembered that years before, my father had scared a critter away by banging on the ceiling. So I climbed up on my desk, right under the noise, and hit the ceiling. I didn't hit it that hard because I didn't want to wake anyone else. But my hand went through the ceiling.

I jumped down and looked up and saw something poking through the hole. Didn't know what it was, but I ran and as I went to shut my door, I see the room is filling with yellow jackets. The "scratching" was the little bastards eating through sheetrock. They were pissed off and I could hear them slamming against the walls. Only time I shoved a towel under a door for any reason than to keep pot smoke in. Luckily, when I get scared I have super-coward speed so I avoided getting stung.

After the attic and my room were fumigated I found dead bees for years and years to come. I hate bugs that sting.

#7 | Posted by Sully at 2014-07-23 03:41 PM | Reply | Flag:

Several years ago I had gone hunting with two friends. It was probably a hour to thirty minutes before sunrise when I get a call on my radio to get out of my tree stand. I meet the two friends and one of them had bitten a piece of jerkey that had a yellow jacket on it. His tongue is swelling so we call a ambulance to meet us at the bottom of the mountain. The ambulance guys give him a shot and he was fine. So on the way home my other friend tells him "don't ever get me out of my stand again unless you are about to die." I was like jesus christ what do you think would've happened if he hadn't got the shot?

#8 | Posted by Dalton at 2014-07-23 04:03 PM | Reply | Flag:

WASPs live in enclaves, not nests.

#9 | Posted by Diablo at 2014-07-24 02:30 AM | Reply | Flag: