Monday, July 21, 2014

The Israeli soda device maker SodaStream, often touted for its harmonious workforce of Israelis and Palestinians, has fired 60 Palestinians after a dispute over the food provided to them after 16 hours of fasting for Ramadan. SodaStream forbids workers to bring food from home because of Jewish dietary laws. Palestinian night shift employees complained one night, stating that without adequate breakfast they couldn't safely operate large machinery, and a supervisor cancelled their shift. "The next day every single one of the night shift workers received a notice that stated the management had decided to dismiss them. The employees were invited to return to the plant to return their employment card and collect their personal belongings, but in the end were met with hostility and refused entry," said Erez Wagner, Jerusalem coordinator of the workers' union WAC-Maan.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

redlightrobot

MORE STORIES

Imo, boycott SodaStream and get Scarlett Johansson's opinion on the matter for public record.

Comments

The company's position doesn't really seem reasonable here. Even by their own version of events:

""Palestinian employees went on strike and shut down the production lines of the plant with no connection to food. We will not accept a situation where the workers, the moment food doesn't appear, shut down the plant and demonstratively ignore their supervisors."

SodaStream hired them knowing full well that they would be fasting at this time of year. SodaStream took on the responsiblity for providing them food by not allowing them to bring their own. Its not really hard to figure out that people who are fasting are going to be cranky if you don't allow them to eat as soon as their fasting period ends. And its not really hard to figure out that what you think is enough food for someone who hasn't eaten in a while is probably not enough food. I think you'd have to be somewhat of an idiot to not expect this reaction if you don't allow people to friggin eat.

All that said, it really just comes across as typical arrogance on the part of management. Wouldn't be the first or last time managers handled a situation horribly and then blamed employees for it. Doesn't really seem like a bias thing. Although if that quote from the one manager is real then that invidual is probably too resentful of Palestinians to be able to manage them effectively.

#1 | Posted by sully at 2014-07-21 01:59 PM | Reply | Flag:

Did they take the job knowing there would be no food? If so, tough. [...]

#2 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2014-07-21 02:02 PM | Reply | Flag:

"According to Wagner, eventually the shift manager informed the disgruntled employees the shift was cancelled for the rest of the day, and promised that the problem would be resolved the next day."

They resolved it in the typical arrogant management way.

#3 | Posted by 726 at 2014-07-21 02:28 PM | Reply | Flag:

#2 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2014-07-21 02:02 PM

Zionists care - productivity is at stake, not religious freedom or any sense of ethical responsibility.

#4 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2014-07-21 03:00 PM | Reply | Flag:

Sorry for them losing their jobs.

But.

They should not expect a corporation to provide for their religious fasting.

There were 60 of them? Seems like they could have worked together to do something rather than just expect to be taken care of.

#5 | Posted by ClownShack at 2014-07-21 03:47 PM | Reply | Flag:

"I would expect them to be responsible for their religious beliefs and dietary needs.

They should not expect a corporation to provide for their religious fasting"

I would be on board 100% with that if not for the fact that the company won't let them bring their own food, also for religious reasons. Its in the 2nd sentence at the top of this page.

The company told them they can't bring food and that SodaStream would feed them instead and then under delivered.

#6 | Posted by Sully at 2014-07-21 04:06 PM | Reply | Flag:

I guess reading is fundamental.

Thanks for pointing it out Sully.

In that case. I have to agree.

Soda Stream is responsible.

Since they decided they would be.

They should be.

#7 | Posted by ClownShack at 2014-07-21 04:12 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

"SodaStream took on the responsiblity for providing them food by not allowing them to bring their own. Its not really hard to figure out that people who are fasting are going to be cranky if you don't allow them to eat as soon as their fasting period ends. And its not really hard to figure out that what you think is enough food for someone who hasn't eaten in a while is probably not enough food. I think you'd have to be somewhat of an idiot to not expect this reaction if you don't allow people to friggin eat." - Sully

www.timesofisrael.com

"And its not really hard to figure out that what you think is enough food for someone who hasn't eaten in a while is probably not enough food." - Sully

A minor point, after a fast you don't eat too much, your stomach has shrunk, but certainly they need calories, but not too much too soon, or you have other issues....

The issue as I read it is that it wasn't a breakfast they "liked"..

#8 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-07-21 04:12 PM | Reply | Flag:

#4 | POSTED BY REDLIGHTROBOT

Thats why they cancelled the shift?

The left wants this plant closed, I can't figure out why, they pay good money.....

But ....

The reason for staying is loyalty to approximately 500 Palestinians who are among the plant's 1,300 employees, Birnbaum claimed. While other employees could relocate on the other side of the Green Line if the plant moved, the West Bank Palestinian workers could not, and would suffer financially, he argued.
forward.com

"They need to understand what the factory gives the Palestinian workers and there are a lot of factories in this area doing the same thing," says Basharat, 40, who lives in a village near Ramallah.

The "they" he alludes to are the European and American groups pushing a boycott of Israeli products to get Israel to relinquish claims to the West Bank, a region the size of Delaware on Israel's eastern border where about 375,000 Israelis and 2.1 million Palestinians live.
www.usatoday.com

Whats missing from many liberals PoV, is what its like to live in Israel, and how it was before the First Intifada. Israel has a vibrant economy, is used to use Palestians like we use Mexicans, but when the walls went up, the Israelis began immigration of other peoples to replace the lower wage workers they lost. The average Palestinian suffered.

The way back to making the ME prosper and get out of the "war" state, is through mutal economic expansion. When people see their lot in life go up, they have much invested in Peace.

Peace will never be had through aide, or loans, and making Palestinians poorer.

#9 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-07-21 04:33 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

"The company provided a breakfast actually, the employees just didn't think it was good enough, not that there wasn't enough."

That contradicts the company's own statment which clearly says there were parts of the plant that had "no connection to food". So whether it was not enough food or crap logistics the fact remains that they are admitting that the trouble started when people did not get food when expected. Read their statement.

"The issue as I read it is that it wasn't a breakfast they "liked".."

Of course you did.

And even if that were the case, that is a risk that you run when you act as control freaks who don't let fasting people bring their own food. Its only common sense that if you are going to not allow these people to feed themselves then you better do a good job of feeding them. If I only had the option of eating company supplied food at work and it was crappy food I'd have issues too.

#10 | Posted by sully at 2014-07-21 05:22 PM | Reply | Flag:

I wouldn't have issues with it, I'd have a resume.

Why are the Jews giving jobs to people they want to exterminate, anyway?

Maybe the Pals should negotiate? For every meal they are je...errr...screwed out of, they get a half dozen rocks/concrete chunks to use as ammo. Win win. I should be in arbitration.

#11 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2014-07-21 05:27 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

"I wouldn't have issues with it, I'd have a resume."

That too. But if you literally starving and then they fell short on their promise you'd probably also have something to say about it.

"Why are the Jews giving jobs to people they want to exterminate, anyway?"

I imagine they try to determine if that is the case during the interview process.

#12 | Posted by Sully at 2014-07-21 05:31 PM | Reply | Flag:

what rights do workers have in Jerusalem? (or wherever this place is)

#14 | Posted by eberly at 2014-07-21 05:35 PM | Reply | Flag:

When I first got out of school, I had a job where I would occasionally be asked to work through lunch and since I could leave for lunch the company would buy lunch. Others were in the same boat and to make it wasy we would agree on one place. But technically we could order whatever we want. And the company would make sure not to screw this up because they knew that messing with hungry people is a bad idea. Plus, we were hourly entry level employees and got OT for it.

One time they scheduled training that required we come in early on the same day that we all knew we'd be working through lunch. So I asked if the training could be moved for this reason and they said "Good that you're thinking ahead, but uh no". So I said "OK, then I will probably be taking my lunch on this day because I don't want to be chained to a desk for 12 hours straight". What I didn't expect is that others would join in and decline working through lunch too. I hadn't encouraged anyone to do this but basically I did the boss a solid and signed up and then the others caved too.

Later on I was the one asking others to work through lunch I knew that there was no better way to piss my employees off than to screw with their food. I hated dealing with it but I took all the orders myself and made sure they were called in quickly. I remember getting into it with an admin who had the bright idea to save the company $5.00 by not ordering someone's salad (only thing he wanted) because a salad tray came with the bulk order. The she had an attitude when I asked her why we were missing a lunch. Only time I've ever made anyone cry at work.

Don't mess with hungry peoples' food.

#15 | Posted by Sully at 2014-07-21 05:46 PM | Reply | Flag:

I even troll at work.

Has anyone ever had coworkers like that? I often find the pickiest are always the fattest. Spare me.

#16 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2014-07-21 05:50 PM | Reply | Flag:

"I always tell people I'm a vegan, allergic to nuts, lactose intolerant, and have a gluten allergy. Then I ask where everyone wants to order from. No matter their suggestion I just say "Oh, I can't eat there.""

I once signed up for a blood drive at work because I was asked in front of a bunch of female coworkers and some of them were hot I and they all signed up and I didn't want to look like a dick.

Then on the day of the blood drive, I didn't want to give blood so when I filled out the questionaire I checked off that I had the runs, which I also confirmed with the nurse when she asked.

As I expected, they told me they couldn't take my blood. But they still gave me a T-shirt and a pin, which I wore in front around the office like a blood donating hero.

#17 | Posted by Sully at 2014-07-21 06:01 PM | Reply | Flag:

SodaStream partners with Yves Béhar, world-renowned designer and social entrepreneur - the result is the new Source, an elegantly-designed soda maker that combines beauty, functionality and efficiency. The elegantly redesigned carbonating bottle easily locks into place with a single-push motion. Powered by a CO2 canister, the refined mechanics of SodaStream Source make the entire top surface responsive to touch, and the strength of carbonation is visible through an LED display, providing instant, visual feedback.

•Country of Origin: Israel

Costco---- $99

#18 | Posted by mysterytoy at 2014-07-21 07:35 PM | Reply | Flag:

Soda pop kills you so slowly But it kills nonetheless.

#20 | Posted by LarryMohr at 2014-07-21 07:37 PM | Reply | Flag:

Funny how it works. The Israelis seem to hate the Palestinians even more as they kill them.

#21 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-07-22 12:54 AM | Reply | Flag:

#21 | Posted by BruceBanner

Let me get this straight..............

The Jews send their childern across the border with vests of explosives?

The Jews fire 100s of rockets a week into Gaza?

Damn, I can see why the Palestinians are pissed.

Am I leaving anything out?

#23 | Posted by Sniper at 2014-07-22 09:15 AM | Reply | Flag:

"I even troll at work."

Oh you have no friends in real life too.

#24 | Posted by klifferd at 2014-07-22 09:33 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

Unhappy with the food provided to them after 16 hours of fasting for Ramadan ? So many special needs for these muslims, one of the reasons they have no place in the western world. Maybe these special hungry people should look for a job in Gaza, West Bank, Lebanon, Syria, maybe Egypt ....... Oh, I forgot those countries haven't produced anything other than terrorist for the last hundred years.

#22 | Posted by lel2007 at 2014-07-22 06:39 AMFlag: (

You would have a point if SodaStream didn't build the plant in Gaza with the intention of hiring Palestinians knowing full well about Ramadan. But they did, so you don't.

Furthermore, you seem to complete ignore the fact that they can't bring their own food, which would solve the whole problem, because the Israelis who run the plant also have religious "special needs" which in this case, inexplicably extends beyond their own diet and into the activities of others.

#25 | Posted by Sully at 2014-07-22 09:43 AM | Reply | Flag:

Well it looks like the company was able to "Order Out"... Seems to me the Employee should have done the same thing, if they did like the food they were being served

Plus this is not the first Ramadan this company has held, and Im sure the Caterer was the same one they had last year, and the year before that, and the year before that

Unless you political stance that Israel is Bad not matter what

#26 | Posted by cmbell73 at 2014-07-22 10:31 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

"Seems to me the Employee should have done the same thing, if they did like the food they were being served"

Yeah because when you're working at a factory you can just eat whenever you want. You don't have to eat at specific times. So when they found out the company didn't come through on the food, they had all the time in the world to make an order, wait for it to be delivered and eat before going back to work.

Oh wait, that's total nonsense...

"Unless you political stance that Israel is Bad not matter what"

Is not Israel, its SodaStream. And given your ill thought out solution, I wouldn't be accusing others of bias.

#27 | Posted by Sully at 2014-07-22 10:44 AM | Reply | Flag:

#1 | POSTED BY SULLY

Having spent three years working with the Saudis for three years at Little Creek Amphibious Base in VA during the SNEP project, I think I can tell you none of them went hungry during Ramadan. We were fordidden to eat, drink, or smoke in front of them during the daytime while we observed many of them sneaking and doing those things all day. After 1600 we could stop in for a beer at our favorite taverns and find them in there drinking liquor (GASP!,) eating, smoking, and wrapped around some of the local women. Hypocrisy personified! I can find no sympathy for them. NONE!

#28 | Posted by jestgettinalong at 2014-07-22 11:13 AM | Reply | Flag:

I can find no sympathy for them. NONE!

#28 | Posted by jestgettinalong at 2014-07-22 11:13 AM | Reply | Flag:

Goes without saying.

#30 | Posted by Sully at 2014-07-22 11:54 AM | Reply | Flag:

Am I leaving anything out?

#23 | POSTED BY SNIPER AT 2014-07-22 09:15 AM | FLAG:

You forgot the part where the Israelis randomly show up, dig around in the dirt while protected by a military presence, find cups, declare them to be Jewish artifacts, seize the land, and then build a new settlement (a middle-upper class walled neighborhood) while saying "oh, we're not settling anything".

That's probably not a good way to make friends or have an honest relationship.

#32 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2014-07-22 01:31 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

#31 | Posted by cmbell73 at 2014-07-22 01:14 PM | Reply | Flag:"

Shut up with the bigotry strawman, -------.

If you read the actual quote from the company they acknowledge that some people had no access to food and that these are the people who started the "trouble". [...]

#33 | Posted by Sully at 2014-07-22 01:33 PM | Reply | Flag:

"No, a Moron will know that the same Catering Company will be catering this year like they did last year......"

Really? Nobody every changes caterers and you're sure nobody fouled up when placing or fulfilling the order? I'm sure you have a link that supports that the same exact accomodations were acceptable in the past. Otheriwse, we'd have to assume you're talking out your posterior.

I know the link up top has a quote where the company says there were parts of the facility where people had no access to food and that is what caused the trouble. So if you want my link you can just scroll up. Do you have a link that disproves this one?

"Not enought time is BS, and if you swallow that pill, then thats on you, but dont expect anybody else to accept it"

You'd literally have to be grow up in cave to not know that factory workers are on tight schedules.

#35 | Posted by sully at 2014-07-22 02:30 PM | Reply | Flag:

#35 | Posted by sully at 2014-07-22 02:30 PMFlag: (Choose)
FunnyNewsworthyOffensiveAbusiv
e

OK Lets throw out "Common Sense" and say that the Sodastream intentionally set the Palestinians so they can protest, and ultimately be fired....Why???

#36 | Posted by cmbell73 at 2014-07-22 02:40 PM | Reply | Flag:

#36 | Posted by cmbell73 at 2014-07-22 02:40 PM | Reply | Flag:

I think they just blew it on delivering the food, not on purpose. Then when people complained they arrogantly blamed them instead of just admitting someone screwed up. Its not unusual for some managers to behave this way. Its not a Israel-Palestinian thing. This is just how people are.

#37 | Posted by Sully at 2014-07-22 02:52 PM | Reply | Flag:

Sully, The food was delivered, the dispute is about the quality. That isnt a Management thing at all. Its an excuse to behave badly, that why they were fired... Not because there was No Food... I can assure you that Common Sense will say the food wasnt as bad as they claim, and I can assure you they werent served Dog Food, or any food not fitting Religious Custom

#38 | Posted by cmbell73 at 2014-07-22 03:03 PM | Reply | Flag:

"I'm sure they were all chowing down during their shift when they weren't allowed to bring any food in with them. Makes perfect sense. They are pure evil after all."

Well, I don't recall any seven-course dinners but they damn sure had chips, candy bars and such. Sodas too. they wouldn't drink Cokes though. Seems Coca Cola had a plant in Israel. But you know all about that, right? You've obviously had so much experience with them. I wouldn't go so far as to say "pure" evil, but when it comes to infidels they're damn close.

#39 | Posted by jestgettinalong at 2014-07-22 03:54 PM | Reply | Flag:

"But you know all about that, right?"

Look dude, the article says that the they can't bring their own food and that some parts of the facility didn't have access to the meal that was brought in. I know you want that not to be true because you have a disturbing need for this story to fit in with your narrow, binary world view , but that's just tough crap.

And that you're trying to play the "experience" card to directly contradict information presentd in the article would be laughable enough. But that your "experience" is with people of a different nationality who were in the US just makes it pathetic. Even if you knew some Palestinians that would mean that you know what happened here. Peddle this notion that you know what you're talking about based on "experience" someone else. Not buying it even a little and I doubt you really do either.

#40 | Posted by sully at 2014-07-22 04:12 PM | Reply | Flag:

Peace will never be had through aide, or loans, and making Palestinians poorer.
#9 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-07-21 04:33 PM Newsworthy 1

While I can see employing people even under a strict religious stranglehold can be embarrassing but useful in feeding a family, please explain how the Zionists colonizing on the remains of Palestinians is "mutual economic expansion"? How is that decades of property theft making Palestinians less poor?

#41 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2014-07-22 05:36 PM | Reply | Flag:

... I can assure you they werent served Dog Food, or any food not fitting Religious Custom

You can assure us? Give me a break. You're making up facts to suit your argument.

#42 | Posted by rcade at 2014-07-22 08:54 PM | Reply | Flag:

#42 | Posted by rcade at 2014-07-22 08:54 PMFlag: (Choose)
FunnyNewsworthyOffensiveAbusiv
e

Oh yea because Companies like to manufacture crisis, instead of manufacturing products.... So lets leave common sense out the door because we are bigots and hate Israel

#43 | Posted by cmbell73 at 2014-07-23 08:33 AM | Reply | Flag:

Because you were there.

#44 | Posted by 726 at 2014-07-23 09:26 AM | Reply | Flag:

This is a case where the Palestinians showed too much audacity to question the actions of their corporate masters. They were fired just as the slaves in the USA would be whipped for doing the same.

The real racists are those holding the whip, cards and power and they use it to advance their own. Racists are haters too and typically have names that they call those that they hate. You've heard of the term anti-Semite often used in a pejorative manner in the Middle East?

#45 | Posted by Robson at 2014-07-23 09:33 AM | Reply | Flag:

#43 | Posted by cmbell73 at 2014-07-23 08:33 AM | Reply | Flag:

You didn't answer the question. Where are you getting your "facts"?

#46 | Posted by Sully at 2014-07-23 09:47 AM | Reply | Flag:

#46 | Posted by Sully at 2014-07-23 09:47 AMFlag: (Choose)
FunnyNewsworthyOffensiveAbusiv
e

Sully The story has stated little facts, and was written in a way to provoke debate...So for anybody to state facts would be impossible, but by using common sense and reason you can come up with your own conclusion

#47 | Posted by cmbell73 at 2014-07-23 11:44 AM | Reply | Flag:

#47 | Posted by cmbell73 at 2014-07-23 11:44 AM | Reply | Flag:

How does the last paragrpah of the story support your conclusion?

#48 | Posted by Sully at 2014-07-23 12:40 PM | Reply | Flag:

I think the story contradicts itself

Last Paragraph:

Headline Paragraph:

Carbonation machine company sacks workers who complained about quality of food provided for Ramadan break-fast meal

So I conclude there was food brought, but it was brought late. I also believe that the food was average, and that this being a Religious Event it wasnt special enough to make the workers happy, especially if it was brought late.

Wehn you have badly written stories like this with little information, you have to read between the lines, and use common sense.... To me it didnt make sense that the employers would go out of there way to do something good,to pull the rug out from under their worker to make them miserable...For anybody who thinks that was the case needs to review their politics

#49 | Posted by cmbell73 at 2014-07-23 01:47 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Wehn you have badly written stories like this with little information, you have to read between the lines, and use common sense...."

OK

"To me it didnt make sense that the employers would go out of there way to do something good,to pull the rug out from under their worker to make them miserable..."

Except one of the few facts we did get from the article is that they weren't doing this to "do something good". They were doing it because they won't let people bring their own food in for their own annoying religious reasons.

"For anybody who thinks that was the case needs to review their politics"

It makes no sense that people who were treated well would cause trouble and lose their jobs. But that doesn't seem to stop you from repeatedly claiming that was the case. Plus, your premise that the SodaStream was providing food to be nice.

#50 | Posted by Sully at 2014-07-23 01:53 PM | Reply | Flag:

#50 | Posted by Sully at 2014-07-23 01:53 PM | Reply | Flag:

Because they werent allowed to bring food, doesnt mean they couldnt order out...So eating the catered food wasnt their only option

To retort about people losing their jobs... Well I beileve that there were a few over the top trouble makers, the rest just follows, but that doesnt mean they dont get the same fate..... I bet if some of worker could take it back they would..... As for the one who didnt like their job, well they got what they wanted

#51 | Posted by cmbell73 at 2014-07-23 02:15 PM | Reply | Flag:

#51 | Posted by cmbell73 at 2014-07-23 02:15 PM | Reply | Flag:

I've worked in a factory. The idea that a person working a factory shift can simply order out when their lunch break comes and they find out the company renegged on providing food doesn't stand up to even passing scrutiny. By the time the food shows up the break is over. Factories run on tight schedules and to stick to those schedules the food needs to be there when the break starts. You keep talking about common sense. Then why would you keep trying to sell this unrealistic notion unless you are putting your need for things to be a certain way above common sense?

You want common sense? I've been in a position where I had to order food for employees. Caterers mess up. People at the company mess up by thinkig they know better and messing with what has worked in the past without telling anyone. People forget to place orders on time. It happens. The best you can do when it happens is aplogize and try to fix it ASAP. Blaming the workers who had nothing to do with the process is senseless. And double dealing and saying "I know we told you we were going to provide food, but order your own stuff instead" isn't reasonable even if they somehow had the time to do it.

#52 | Posted by sully at 2014-07-23 02:33 PM | Reply | Flag:

#52 | POSTED BY SULLY AT 2014-07-23 02:33 PM | FLAG:

The Company fired the entire shift, I'm sure it's a decision that wasn't taken lightly... The tension between Israel and Palestine sure doesn't help.... Along with Management being outnumbered by angery workers. I bet safety came to mind when they fired them

#53 | Posted by cmbell73 at 2014-07-23 06:22 PM | Reply | Flag:

As for the rest... Lets just agree to disagree, I see your points, but from a Management perspective, the Workers should have handled their attitude better, and maybe one of the workers should have been the representative, instead of having everybody gang up on the Bosses... Doing that automatically has consequences

#54 | Posted by cmbell73 at 2014-07-23 06:29 PM | Reply | Flag:

"They were doing it because they won't let people bring their own food in for their own annoying religious reasons." - Sully

#55 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-07-23 06:36 PM | Reply | Flag:

"fasting" also an annoying religious reason?

Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-07-23 06:36 PM | Reply

Yes especially when your stomach groans. You can't be spiritual at that time.

#56 | Posted by LarryMohr at 2014-07-23 06:42 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Well the product is sold as a Kosher product, I imagine part of being Kosher is complying with Kosher rules? .... ??"

They could work around that.

"Regarding the "annoying", would you consider the "fasting" also an annoying religious reason?"

Of course that is annoying too.

#57 | Posted by Sully at 2014-07-23 06:54 PM | Reply | Flag: