Sunday, July 20, 2014

Forty-five years ago today, Apollo 11 astronauts Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin became the first humans to set foot on another world. Armstrong's "one small step ... one giant leap" on the dusty lunar surface July 20, 1969, still stirs hearts.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

afkabl2

MORE STORIES

But,OF COURSE, I'm required to remind all of you that the first word spoken from the surface of the moon was............"HOUSTON"

Comments

NASA is over 50 years old and it started in Huntsville, Alabama. Huntsville, which has Marshall space flight center and Redstone arsenal is still the most important part of Nasa. All rocketry and missions, including the Apollo, ISS and space shuttle programs are designed, built and tested there.

Johnson space flight center in Houston has been closed for several years now. That is why huntsville got the first retired shuttle and houston got none.

BTW, the first word spoken on the moon was not Houston. It was 'contact'.

Your civic pride is admirable but based on fantasy.

#1 | Posted by kudzu at 2014-07-20 05:59 PM | Reply | Flag:

NASA will be always be a fraud.

#2 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2014-07-20 08:02 PM | Reply | Flag:

#2 - really? Based on what? Nasa has single - handedly moved technology and scientific knowledge forward at a pace that will never be matched or anticipated.

You can make all kinds of arguments against nasa, but being a fraud is not one of them.

My comments to Alka-babble is related to his belief that somehow Houston is the center of Nasa. It wasn't, it was just mission control. An important function to be sure, but that function is no longer needed and the Houston facility is closed.

BTW, the next generation space plane from nasa is currently being designed and built in Huntsville Alabama. Look up ULA (United launch alliance).

#3 | Posted by kudzu at 2014-07-20 08:13 PM | Reply | Flag:

Congratulations to NASA on one of the great achievements in human history, and to Babbles for posting something sane.

#4 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2014-07-21 10:42 AM | Reply | Flag:

And course, as usual, you are wrong. Why do you persist in saying such crazy Crap when it is so easily debunked?

Googleman knows everything.

As Kudzu said, the first word was "Contact".

The last word was "Ignition".

Houston was the thirtieth word.

#5 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-07-22 01:27 AM | Reply | Flag:

Johnson space flight center in Houston has been closed for several years now.

Really? I swear it was only two years ago or so I was there and the mission control room I saw was still active.

Of course, time could have gotten away from me and it was longer than two years.

Why do you persist in saying such crazy Crap when it is so easily debunked?

I'm more interested in him answer why he cares if "Houston" was the first word from the moon.

If his pride is that shallow...oh never mind. Everything with him is that shallow.

#6 | Posted by jpw at 2014-07-22 02:34 AM | Reply | Flag:

I'd really love to go there. Been to the Cape and Houston locations.

Some of the videos of testing at Huntsville are crazy. Must have been a hell of a time during the Apollo days working for NASA.

#7 | Posted by jpw at 2014-07-22 02:35 AM | Reply | Flag:

Yay NASA! You are a gutted shell of what you once were. Congrats.

#8 | Posted by 726 at 2014-07-22 08:21 AM | Reply | Flag:

Yay NASA! You are a gutted shell of what you once were. Congrats.

Posted by 726 at 2014-07-22 08:21 AM | Reply

Decommissioning the Space Shuttle was one of the worst decisions made ever by our space program.

#9 | Posted by LarryMohr at 2014-07-22 08:29 AM | Reply | Flag:

The Space Shuttle was 1960's technology and was showing it's flaws. I am surprised there weren't more incidents during the program. The cost to improve the shuttle to modern standards was too high. The problem is that budget cutting killed it's replacement leaving the US without a vehicle to carry our astronauts.

This is the example of drowning the program in the bathtub. Congrats Grover.

#10 | Posted by 726 at 2014-07-22 10:14 AM | Reply | Flag:

This is the example of drowning the program in the bathtub. Congrats Grover.

Posted by 726 at 2014-07-22 10:14 AM | Reply

I'd much rather rely upon America's 1960's technologies than to have to rely upon Russia to ferry our Astronauts to the ISS.

#11 | Posted by LarryMohr at 2014-07-22 10:18 AM | Reply | Flag:

I would rather have NASA funded so that it could develop a modern launch vehicle of our own. But tax cuts and trillion dollar wars have pretty much taken that money and given it to the 1% instead.

Until a 1%er comes up with a private launch vehicle that will deplete the NASA budget further, we will have to hitch a ride with the commies.

#12 | Posted by 726 at 2014-07-22 10:20 AM | Reply | Flag:

At least our astronauts will get the opportunity to stare at a poster of right wing hero Putin while they ride.

#13 | Posted by 726 at 2014-07-22 10:21 AM | Reply | Flag:

#13 | Posted by 726 at 2014-07-22 10:21 AM | Reply | Flag:

HAHAHAHA Because he is so much like them.

#14 | Posted by LarryMohr at 2014-07-22 10:23 AM | Reply | Flag:

The shuttle was one of the most incredible machines built by Man. It paved the way for private industry to get going in space. I am so happy I was here for that.

My Generation baby.

I look forward to seeing SpaceX Version 2 fly someday soon. And I really really hope I get to see a manned (or womaned) trip to Mars before we blow ourselves up.

#15 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-07-22 10:51 AM | Reply | Flag:

#7 - my house in Alabama is about 10 miles (as the crow flies) from Redstone arsenal, where they do the rocket testing.

The whole facility is under heavy security so there is no way that a civilian can ever see it...but a few years ago they tested something, I don't know what it was, but it shook the ground. I was mowing the grass and i stopped - I thought an earthquake was happening.

They only show the outline on google.

#16 | Posted by kudzu at 2014-07-22 04:15 PM | Reply | Flag: