Sunday, July 20, 2014

Even before Senator Elizabeth Warren entered the grand ballroom of the Cobo Center here on Friday for a much-anticipated speech to hundreds of liberal activists at Netroots Nation, her admirers were handing out plastic boater hats, bumper stickers and lawn signs declaring, "Elizabeth Warren for President." Warren, a Democrat from Massachusetts, has said repeatedly that she will not be a candidate in 2016. But her presence at the annual conference -- and the absence of Hillary Rodham Clinton -- offers a peek into the mind-set of the Democratic Party's left wing.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

Corky

MORE STORIES

Progressives like -- or at least tolerate -- Clinton (and think she can win). But they love Warren (even if they are not sure she can).

"I got a little verklempt," gushed Daniel Pino, a gay rights advocate, after Warren gave him a peck on the cheek.

(LOL!)

Comments

"Run, Liz, run!" the crowd chanted as the senator took the stage for her morning talk. Ms. Warren tried to shush them, waving her arms and admonishing them like the teacher she once was: "Sit down, people. Come on, let's get started." Then she opened with the sort of blistering populist assault on corporations, Republicans, banks, lobbyists and trade deals that has become her trademark.

"They cheated American families, crashed the economy, got bailed out, and now the biggest banks are even bigger than they were when they got too big to fail in 2008!" Ms. Warren thundered, in one of her many applause lines. "A kid gets caught with a few ounces of pot and goes to jail, but a big bank launders drug money and no one gets arrested. The game is rigged!"

She went on: "Billionaires pay taxes at lower rates than their secretaries. How does this happen? It happens because they all have lobbyists. Lobbyist and Republican friends in Congress. Lobbyists and Republicans to protect every loophole and every privilege. The game is rigged, and it isn't right!"

"We are the Elizabeth Warren wing of the Democratic Party," Mr. Green said, adding, "We intend to pressure every candidate -- including Hillary Clinton -- to see if they agree with Elizabeth Warren on key economic populism issues, like Wall Street reform, expanding social security, reducing student debt."

I hope they do. Warren would make a great VP!

Of course, that's what I said about Obama, so whatta I know.

#1 | Posted by Corky at 2014-07-18 08:08 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 2

I like her message. As long as she stays away from gun control, I'd vote for her.

#2 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2014-07-18 08:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

Yessssssssssss Elizabeth Warren for President!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 | Posted by LarryMohr at 2014-07-18 11:49 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 2

Of course, that's what I said about Obama, so whatta I know.
#1 | Posted by Corky

Copied to my save file.

#4 | Posted by Diablo at 2014-07-19 04:12 AM | Reply | Flag:

Rwingers 'r runnin' scar't already....

"America Rising, the super PAC that has largely focused on undermining a potential Hillary Clinton candidacy, sent an email titled "Warren Warning" to supporters Thursday evening asking for contributions to help thwart the popular Democrat.

"Don't let the White House fall into Warren's hands," it cautions. "America can't afford to let that happen."

www.msnbc.com

#5 | Posted by Corky at 2014-07-19 10:30 AM | Reply | Flag:

Democrats who want to win might want to consider - a number of us would vote for Warren - but not Hillary.

If Hillary wins the nomination, my vote goes third party, or even Republican, should they field a more libertarian candidate.

Queue Corky to talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face, but it's not about that. It's a matter of priorities. The very first and most deeply important to me and other voters of my persuasion is disentangling the US from our useless Neocon goals and mind-bogglingly huge military interventions, and getting money out of our military-industrial complex. That comes first and foremost as a moral necessity, and an economic necessity for our debt laden country. Very next - dialing back out government's intrusions into civil liberties. Something Hillary supports. THEN comes dealing with our increasing economic disparity and out of control financial sector. The first two issues would make me hold my nose and vote Rand Paul over Hillary Clinton if it came to that.

#6 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-07-19 07:56 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 4

- Rand Paul

Good on NSA (if you believe the pandering), Bad on Civil Rights.... but who cares, right?

And a promoter of Paul Ryan economics.

Wise choice.

#7 | Posted by Corky at 2014-07-19 09:29 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Then she opened with the sort of blistering populist assault on corporations, Republicans, banks, lobbyists and trade deals that has become her trademark."

The trademark being ignoring what everyone else is worried about.

#8 | Posted by Diablo at 2014-07-19 10:53 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Of course, that's what I said about Obama, so whatta I know. #1 | Posted by Corky"

Copied to my save file.

#4 | POSTED BY DIABLO (Because quoting out of context is what I do best.)

#9 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-07-20 12:24 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 2

"Queue Corky to talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face, but it's not about that. It's a matter of priorities."

That's the popular kid's opinion these days but it is still utter nonsense. It is absolutely about who gets to appoint SC Justices, anyone that tells you different is delusional. Until CU is overturned politics in the US is not representative of the will of the people.

#10 | Posted by danni at 2014-07-20 12:39 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 3

#11 | Posted by danni at 2014-07-20 12:40 PM | Reply | Flag:

Narrowing down the issue of who should be POTUS to merely a question of who will be appointed to the Supreme Court is huge underestimation of the power, influence and impact of the presidency. Yes, SCOTUS appointments are very important, but they are not the sum and substance of the analysis. The greatest disasters of GWB's presidency had nothing to do with decisions he made about the SC. It is easy to imagine a president who, imo, might make terrific SCOTUS appointment but suck on issues of military and corporate spending as well as social policy.

#12 | Posted by moder8 at 2014-07-20 02:03 PM | Reply | Flag:

Why not, when lying is the Liberals go to move....

I shall call her Lieawatha

#13 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-07-20 04:17 PM | Reply | Flag:

Why not, when lying is the Liberals go to move....

I shall call her Lieawatha

Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-07-20 04:17 PM | Reply

You're full of baby prune results Ma'am. That was your Conservatives move for initiating Gulf War 1 and 2.

#14 | Posted by LarryMohr at 2014-07-20 04:21 PM | Reply | Flag:

Why not, when lying is the Liberals go to move....

Kinda like:

"there's WMDs in Iraq"

"Mission accomplished!"

"the body can block Legitimate Rape"

"Gays are going to destroy our society and teach homosexuality in school"

"the tea party isn't based on racism"

I just realized I started a never ending list...

#15 | Posted by ClownShack at 2014-07-20 04:27 PM | Reply | Flag:

Its okay Larry.

Its all Republicans got on Warren. That on some form somewhere she claimed to have some percentage of native american in her ancestry.

In their minds thats much worse than the crooks and charlatans that they regularly place on pedestals and elect as representatives.

So.

Let them scream it till they are blue in the face.

no one is paying them any attention.

#16 | Posted by ClownShack at 2014-07-20 04:31 PM | Reply | Flag:

Yeppers that's all they've got ClownShack.

#17 | Posted by LarryMohr at 2014-07-20 04:34 PM | Reply | Flag:

#6 | Posted by zeropointnrg a

So tell me what positive aspect does Rand Paul has that you will not fine in the Green Party? with out all the B.S. baggage that goes with the Libertarians.
Deregulation's of the Banks that Bill Clinton did has destroyed are economy yet Rand Paul wants more Free Trade that Bill Clinton did also messed up are economy yet Rand Paul wants more, Rand Paul wants to do away environmental protection agency while we suffer with global change. Rand Paul wants to do away minimum wage while so many working people can not make it now with out government hand out already and talking about that, Rand Paul wants to take away all safety nets for those who need it to survive.

So tell me what so FHKing great about a Libertarians over the Green Party?
because what you have mention so far the Green Party would like to do.
and yes I know Rand Paul is a Repug at this time.
If Hillary is the Dem Vote Green!

#18 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2014-07-20 07:12 PM | Reply | Flag:

If it wasn't for the foolish frivolous extraneous plot by the Democratic elites to divide us on stupid irrelevant issues, while doing nothing to fix America for Americans, and always putting Israel and NYC bankers and illegal immigrants first, they could win America.

I do like Elizabeth Warren because she understands that the true threat to America does not come from average joe conservatives or average joe liberals, while the corrupt media and corporate treasonous elites that have come to own our government for their bonuses and profits cause America's loss.

#19 | Posted by Robson at 2014-07-20 07:42 PM | Reply | Flag:

#18 | POSTED BY PUNCHYPOSSUM AT 2014-07-20 07:12 PM | FLAG:

You're not wrong at all - to the extent I voted Stein in 2012. It was only a two person comparison, made precisely because Rand Paul is so bad on safety nets and regulation - but it is so important to me that we stop killing people for the sake of our imperialism and pouring money into the MIC that I would even take him over Hillary.

I doubt he'll be the Republican nominee anyway. He just allows me to illustrate the point of how, as a liberal voter, Hillary's hawkishness and collusion with Wall St actually turn me off to the point where he would even be preferable.

#20 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-07-20 08:13 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

What's not to like about Liz Warren?

1. Woman
2. Native American

She's earned my vote!

#21 | Posted by pajama_boy at 2014-07-20 10:20 PM | Reply | Flag:

Funniest current poster, no doubt. ^

#22 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2014-07-20 10:41 PM | Reply | Flag:

PAJAMA can you even name all your great grandparents?

#23 | Posted by Tor at 2014-07-20 10:53 PM | Reply | Flag:

#10 | Posted by danni

Every 4 years it is about the supreme court so you must vote for the DNC
approved Candidate.

Really every prez election, and I am serous about this, I am told I must vote for the Dem candidate because of the supreme court.
every damn presidential election this has been brought up.
it is amazing, so because of the supreme court we are told we must vote for the DNC approved scumbag.
the Hell with it, you Dems stop throwing pro wall street suck ups and free trade dirt bags out there maybe I might vote for you.
but you do not get my vote automatically because you have a D by your name.

#24 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2014-07-20 11:36 PM | Reply | Flag:

"And BTW, I do want a liberal activist court to undo what the conservative activists have been doing for the last decade."

Decade? Sheeooooot. From 1969 to 1992, all justices to the Supreme Court were nominated by Republicans. It'll take decades to unravel what they've done on Tort Deform alone. Thankfully, Republicans are doing their damnedest to see to it they don't get the White House for at least a generation.

#25 | Posted by DCTexan at 2014-07-21 01:07 AM | Reply | Flag:

Kinda like:
"there's WMDs in Iraq"
"Mission accomplished!"
"the body can block Legitimate Rape"
"Gays are going to destroy our society and teach homosexuality in school"
"the tea party isn't based on racism"
I just realized I started a never ending list...

#15 | POSTED BY CLOWNSHACK
"Al Qaeda has a empty 747 in Iraq to train hijackers"
oh wait Hillary said that.
and here is Al Gore going off on Saddam and his WMDs
www.youtube.com

#26 | Posted by shirtsbyeric at 2014-07-21 12:39 PM | Reply | Flag:

Personally I hope Slizzy Warren runs for the presidency that way no matter who wins the Republican nomination they will be a shoe in.

I mean listening to her talk is like having your finger nails pulled, diahrea for a month, walking on tacks, eating glass, etc.

#27 | Posted by mcmlcxx at 2014-07-21 08:46 PM | Reply | Flag:

Hate all you want haters she's still going to be elected.

#28 | Posted by Tor at 2014-07-22 01:16 AM | Reply | Flag:

Hate all you want haters she's still going to be elected.

Posted by Tor at 2014-07-22 01:16 AM | Reply

Which woman so I'm not confused??

#29 | Posted by LarryMohr at 2014-07-22 01:45 AM | Reply | Flag:

_________

Gays are made to seem like effeminate drama queens even in a NYT fluff piece.

After six years of Barry, and Hillary the purported frontrunner, how weird is it that Elizabeth Warren is the only one in the room with any balls?

#30 | Posted by WhiteDevil at 2014-07-22 07:12 AM | Reply | Flag:

"how weird is it that Elizabeth Warren is the only one in the room with any balls?"

very.