Wednesday, July 16, 2014

On the 50th anniversary of his ‘extremism in the defense of liberty' speech to the 1964 GOP convention, it's time to credit Goldwater as the true father of the Tea Party.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

lee_the_agent

MORE STORIES

Comments

Here's the entire speech.

www.c-span.org

Play it for your kids. It's what a real right wing conservative looks like. It's kind of like Jurassic Park for conservatives.

#1 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2014-07-16 06:15 PM | Reply | Flag:

sorry bro

you'll have to alter the headline...the tea party wasn't formed until we had a black president.....I KNOW....I read it here..

#2 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2014-07-16 06:41 PM | Reply | Flag:

Barry Goldwater believed in gay equality, women's rights, seperation of church and state, he wouldn't be a member of the Tea Party today.

#3 | Posted by danni at 2014-07-16 07:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

Barry Goldwater believed in gay equality, women's rights, separation of church and state, he wouldn't be a member of the Tea Party today.
#3 | Posted by danni

Danni, Mr Goldwater DID NOT believe in gay equality, women's rights, separation of church and state. Unlike todays right-wing-loons, and Pea Party idiots, Goldwater though it was NONE of the governments business

#4 | Posted by SammyAZ_RI at 2014-07-16 09:07 PM | Reply | Flag:

"...and moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."

Why did you leave that out, Lee?

#5 | Posted by Diablo at 2014-07-17 04:22 AM | Reply | Flag:

"I'm frankly sick and tired of the political preachers across this country telling me as a citizen that if I want to be a moral person, I must believe in "A," "B," "C" and "D." Just who do they think they are? And from where do they presume to claim the right to dictate their moral beliefs to me?

And I am even more angry as a legislator who must endure the threats of every religious group who thinks it has some God-granted right to control my vote on every roll call in the Senate. I am warning them today: I will fight them every step of the way if they try to dictate their moral convictions to all Americans in the name of "conservatism."

"The big thing is to make this country, along with every other country in the world with a few exceptions, quit discriminating against people just because they're gay. You don't have to agree with it, but they have a constitutional right to be gay. And that's what brings me into it."

"I believe a woman has a right to an abortion. That's a decision that's up to the pregnant woman, not up to the pope or some do-gooders or the Religious Right. It's not a conservative issue at all."

Barry Goldwater

#6 | Posted by danni at 2014-07-17 07:46 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 4

Barry Goldwater is spinning in his grave being linked to the Teahadists.

#7 | Posted by 726 at 2014-07-17 08:14 AM | Reply | Flag:

#6 | Posted by danni

Unfortunately, Danni, I'm only able to give this post a single NW flag, and it frankly deserves more.

#8 | Posted by TheTom at 2014-07-17 11:53 PM | Reply | Flag:

Danni is correct. Goldwater was more a libertarian than a conservative.
One of his speech writers was ultra-libertarian Karl Hess, whose book "Dear America" is a solid read if you can find it. Goldwater once walked through a large D.C. protest to chat with Hess. No 'radical' bugged him and the mainstream press ignored the sit down. The left in those days was not the snotty control-tax-slam-all-enemies the modern left is.
The conservatives now are nothing like Goldwater was then, either.
I don't agree with Goldwater on plenty of issues, but I greatly admire him for being truthful in a time of uniformity of thought. We owe that man a huge debt.

#9 | Posted by Diablo at 2014-07-18 02:59 AM | Reply | Flag: