Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Spend more than 6 minutes a day in the bathroom at Chicago's WaterSaver Faucet company and you'll face disciplinary measures. Teamsters local 743 filed a complaint with the National Labor Relations Board claiming WaterSaver unfairly disciplined 19 workers in June for "excessive use" of washrooms. The company's human resources department described "excessive use of the bathroom as ... 60 minutes or more over the last 10 working days," according to the affidavit. Do the math and it works out to 6 minutes a day.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

"The company has spreadsheets on every union employee on how long they were in the bathroom," said Nick Kreitman, the union representative at WaterSavers. "There have been meetings with workers and human resources where the workers had to explain what they were doing in the bathroom," he said.

Comments

They should just block phone signals in the washrooms and see what happens.

#1 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-07-15 10:12 PM | Reply | Flag:

Lazy, entitled private industry employees. They offer restroom facilities as a part of the comp. package and the workers abuse it.

#2 | Posted by mutant at 2014-07-15 10:54 PM | Reply | Flag:

#3 | Posted by zack991 at 2014-07-15 11:04 PM | Reply | Flag:

i don't use the phone for bathrooms breaks, but i do love reading a magazine.

#4 | Posted by danv at 2014-07-15 11:54 PM | Reply | Flag:

"A company I used to work for required all cell phones to be put in lockers and they could not be used until break or off work. If caught you were fired."

That's the policy we have.

#5 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-07-16 12:02 AM | Reply | Flag:

What's better than taking a dump on the clock?

#6 | Posted by morris at 2014-07-16 12:48 AM | Reply | Flag:

Must have been spending too much time 'Smoking in the boys room:

www.youtube.com

#7 | Posted by MSgt at 2014-07-16 12:52 AM | Reply | Flag:

Of course the scumbag CEO doesn't have to swipe his card to use the bathroom, hypocrite! If he is like the rest of corporate Americas CEOs (very likely) he's on the golf course 4 days a week when he should be at work and then chasing his secretary around the office the one day he is actually there!

#8 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2014-07-16 01:46 AM | Reply | Flag:

Makes perfect sense.

You're there to make the owners and shareholders money, not give in to natural biological urges and necessities.

Should charge these lazy schmoes for all the company oxygen they're using too.

#9 | Posted by jpw at 2014-07-16 04:35 AM | Reply | Flag:

Card swipe?

That's a new one on me.

Sounds like this company doesn't believe in hiring the handicaped.

#10 | Posted by Twinpac at 2014-07-16 05:48 AM | Reply | Flag:

I wonder if it counts if you use the restroom when on break or at lunch? If not, then we're talking "additional" breaks. I'm betting we i dint have the whole story. It's obviously a union company, so I would guess that breaks, smoke breaks, lunch breaks, etc.. were all negotiated into the contract. The company is just holding them to it, just like the union would hold.the company to the lunch break length.

#11 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2014-07-16 06:40 AM | Reply | Flag:

That doesn't include the 60 minutes of breaks the company allows during the work day. How many people need 66 minutes a day for lunch and having a poo?

I've a solution that works for everyone, I hope: if you don't like the rules, you can quit. Go to a company that gives special treatment for your irritable bowel syndrome. Maybe there's even an awareness ribbon. Brown, I would guess.

#12 | Posted by WhiteDevil at 2014-07-16 07:08 AM | Reply | Flag:

"I'm betting we i dint have the whole story."

It looks to me like they are currently working on negotiating a new contract with the Union, which may explain a few things.

Post #6 explains why things like this happen.

#13 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-07-16 07:26 AM | Reply | Flag:

-Posted from my Iphone in the bathroom

#14 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2014-07-16 07:31 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

From another article:

Under the contract, the workday is 7.5 hours with a 10-minute morning break, a 15-minute afternoon break, a 30-minute lunch and a 5-minute end-of-day cleanup period.

Our guys who work 12 hour shifts on equipment would laugh at this.

#15 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-07-16 07:35 AM | Reply | Flag:

The answer is simple. Just start urinating on the floor at your workstation to earn the trust fund millionaires an extra .01 per share.

#16 | Posted by 726 at 2014-07-16 07:40 AM | Reply | Flag:

Better still... stop by HR's office instead.

#17 | Posted by 726 at 2014-07-16 07:41 AM | Reply | Flag:

Rules like that only serve to piss off the workers who will then take their revenge in many other ways. Stupid move on management's part. It will cost them in the long run.

#18 | Posted by danni at 2014-07-16 08:16 AM | Reply | Flag:

I read the headline and my first thought was, "man, rules like this are why we need unions". Of course, I read the article and find there is a union in place already.

nice job there. It's great that after decades and decades of unions, this is the crap they have to deal with.

#19 | Posted by eberly at 2014-07-16 08:45 AM | Reply | Flag:

I once worked at a call center where we had to have 88% availability which gave you 288 min. a week off phones. There was a weekly meeting of 1 hour which counted against your availability there was a weekly meeting with your supervisor anywhere from 30-60 min that counted against your availability. That left you with 168 min a week. Wrapping up calls would take up to 20 min a day (about 30 seconds per call on average) leaving you with 68 min for coffee and bathroom breaks a week.

It was never an issue. There were only a couple weeks I ever went over 68 min and I almost always had a phone call where the wrap up took an excessive time I could point to for the weeks that I did take too long.

It sounds harsh reading about it but reality is that it is not so bad. When I first got the job I was freaked out by the rule but after a couple weeks I realized that it was a pretty easy standard to adhere to. In fact most weeks I ran closer to 90% availability without really even trying for it.

#20 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2014-07-16 09:04 AM | Reply | Flag:

Wow....I'm blessed to have never worked in such a craphole like this place.

#21 | Posted by eberly at 2014-07-16 09:06 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Once companies start to get into regulating bodily functions they've gone beyond just trying to be production and inot outright creepiness.

#22 | Posted by Sully at 2014-07-16 09:13 AM | Reply | Flag:

The CEO is on the board of trustee of the University of Chicago and gave $10 million to the school for which he was praised by President Obama.

#23 | Posted by sames1 at 2014-07-16 09:34 AM | Reply | Flag:

#23 Well that makes it all okay then.

#24 | Posted by 726 at 2014-07-16 12:00 PM | Reply | Flag:

I guess I don't see it as an issue to blame on HR. It comes from senior management and HR is the poor fools that have to enforce it.

The problem when you get Unions involved is that everything is so negotiated. Did I ever say I hate contracts? Because I really do.

So I get the 6 minute thing - use your break. That said I also understand that for some people 6 minutes is a joke...

#25 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2014-07-16 12:22 PM | Reply | Flag:

#26 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2014-07-16 12:28 PM | Reply | Flag:

#25 | Posted by GalaxiePete

HR is always a tool of management. They could give a crap about the employees.

#27 | Posted by Harry_Powell at 2014-07-16 05:13 PM | Reply | Flag:

"I wonder how long the policy will hold up if a few people simply relieve themselves at their stations/desks."

A few people would be fired and the policy would hold.

#28 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-07-16 10:43 PM | Reply | Flag:

Of course, I read the article and find there is a union in place already.

#19 | Posted by eberly

Congratulations Conservatives.

After decades and decades of weakening and destroying Unions this is EXACTLY what you get. But, at least they still do HAVE a Union to stand up and fight for them. Which is why no one has been disciplined yet and the Union is busy making a big deal out of it. Can you imagine the results if folks stood up individually to something like this?

You would never have even heard about it as they would have been fired already.

#29 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-07-16 10:54 PM | Reply | Flag:

Actually, it's only because it's a union company that the company has to step in to make it a rule in the first place. Union people are lazy, and don't do anything unless it's written in the contract. Then when it is, they charge above-market rates for their "labor".

They get an hour of free time a day, and now they're bitching because that still doesn't leave some of them enough time to take more time in the ------. An hour. And it's not enough.

Not exactly saving kids from working in the coal mines. But liberals have become so wussified that they think long potty breaks so you can chat online with your friends is something Chavez would have been waving the picket signs for.

#30 | Posted by WhiteDevil at 2014-07-17 03:42 AM | Reply | Flag:

"But liberals have become so wussified that they think long potty breaks so you can chat online with your friends is something Chavez would have been waving the picket signs for."

Yeah, it's just those evil liberals taking long potty breaks. Riiight!! Those conservatives sure are willing to take the higher pay that the unions get them though aren't they?

#31 | Posted by danni at 2014-07-17 07:50 AM | Reply | Flag:

6 minutes a day? Just taking out your gun, checking the ammo, spinning the cylinder to hear that purty sound, you won't have time to do number 2.

#32 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2014-07-17 09:34 AM | Reply | Flag: