Sunday, July 13, 2014

A Confederate flag that has been in Washington and Lee University Chapel since 1930 is being removed. A group of law-school students at the school, named for Confederate general Robert E. Lee, appealed to the university to remove the flags, declare Martin Luther King Day a university holiday and take steps to confront the school's history in conjunction with slavery. Lee was a past president of the university, which at one time owned 60 to 70 slaves in what current president Kenneth Ruscio called "a regrettable chapter" of its history.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

From the story: "The Confederate battle flag, also known as the Stars and Bars flag, dates back to the Civil War when rebel troops carried the red banner emblazoned with a blue St. Andrew's cross into battles against Union troops. Until World War II, the flag was reserved for memorial ceremonies, but in the 1940s, the banner began to appear at cultural events in the U.S. South. In the 1950s and '60s, several Southern states incorporated the Stars and Bars into their state flags in protest of federally enforced school integration."

Comments

Funny how the same folk who would freak out if a muslim school flew an al queda banner loves them some southern terrorist memorabilia.

#1 | Posted by northguy3 at 2014-07-13 06:16 PM | Reply | Flag:

The slave owning traitor, Robert E Lee betrayed his country and the West Point oath to Protect and Defend the USA.

#2 | Posted by SammyAZ_RI at 2014-07-13 07:07 PM | Reply | Flag:

In 1930, the United Daughters of the Confederacy and Washington and Lee University agreed to place 12 Army of Northern Virginia Battleflags in the alcove with the Recumbent Lee statue. The effort was officially named "Memorial to General Robert E Lee, and they flags remained on display for 84 years.

Then comes Brandon Hicks from North Carolina, a professional black activist who transferred from NCCU to WLU for the distinct purpose of more activism. While at NCCU, he was the leader of the LGBT group, at WLU he formed another group of activists called the "committee" and they demanded every trace of Confederate history be removed from WLU by September 1st, 2014 - else civil unrest shall occur.

Under the double threat of activism by a black group with LGBT ties, President Ruscio pandered, and destroyed the 84 year old sacred memorial. Ruscio's actions, however, violated Virginia State Law 15.2-1812 which protects the Memorial.

#3 | Posted by BillyBearden at 2014-07-13 07:28 PM | Reply | Flag:

northguy3

You are sorely lacking in American history. If by "several southern states" you mean only Georgia, then you'd be correct, but you didn't, so you aren't.

Also, the lone state to change it's flag in the 50's, did so not for any 'federally enforced school integration' purpose, but to pay tribute to the last few living Confederate Veterans and their fellow Veterans in Georgia, and to prepare for the upcoming 100th anniversary of the Civil War.

Yes, we Americans would certainly "freak out" should a muslum school fly the flag of al queda, as they are determined to destroy America, whereas the CSA only wished to be left alone, and live in peace and harmony.

I must call you out on your open support for an anti-American agenda. I bet you even voted for Obama, didn't you.....

#4 | Posted by BillyBearden at 2014-07-13 07:37 PM | Reply | Flag:

Political correctness at its best. Wonder when they'll tear down the Lincoln Memorial, Bush Lieberry, or Obamas new Lieberry, see as how they honor people who willfully violated and set aside the Constitution?

#5 | Posted by aescal at 2014-07-13 07:38 PM | Reply | Flag:

"the CSA only wished to be left alone, and live in peace and harmony."

I think you should ask this guy how much "peace and harmony" there was in the CSA.

en.wikipedia.org

#7 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-07-13 08:04 PM | Reply | Flag:

There's nothing honorable or worth honoring about a group of traitors who fought for the rights of slave owners.

#8 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2014-07-13 08:17 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 3

whereas the CSA only wished to be left alone, and live in peace and harmony.

Ha! The war began when Confederate forces fired on Fort Sumter.

Saying the South just wanted to be left alone in peace after it seceded from the U.S. is like saying that ISIS just wants peace in Iraq. People don't get to carve an existing country in two and be left alone.

#9 | Posted by rcade at 2014-07-13 10:15 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 2

whereas the CSA only wished to be left alone, and live in peace and harmony. #4 | Posted by BillyBearden at 2014-07-13 07:37 PM

Harmony = enslaving other human beings, raping and killing women and children at will? I'm afraid that you may have misunderstood the meaning of the lyrics from "Ebony and Ivory".

#10 | Posted by censored at 2014-07-13 10:45 PM | Reply | Flag:

Shoulda been more specific that I was mocking those who DECIDED a school named after Robert E. Lee being offended it fly's the CSA flag in what I understand to be a museum.

#13 | Posted by Tor at 2014-07-14 12:17 AM | Reply | Flag:

Ha! The war began when Confederate forces fired on Fort Sumter.

S

#9 | Posted by rcade at 2014-07-13 10:15 PM | Reply | Flag

I have since learned the true beginning of the Civil War started NOT in South Carolina but here in Kansas 5 years before Fort Sumpter. Funny how Kansas is always screwing something up.

#14 | Posted by LarryMohr at 2014-07-14 12:38 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

Hey Mr.Bearden: Is this you?

cwcrossroads.wordpress.com

What about this?

cwcrossroads.wordpress.com

You're not exactly what we call a tolerant fellow, are you? Free speech ain't just for you, just in case you were wondering.

#15 | Posted by YankeeAvenger at 2014-07-14 01:51 PM | Reply | Flag:

Hey Mr. Bearden: How did those slaves feel about being left alone to live in peace and harmony? Seems here they were being bought, sold, stolen from, raped, families broken up ... that's a far cry from being left alone to live in peace and harmony, at least in my eyes.

Mind you, you advocated the raping of a black woman who didn't abide your nonsense, and you wondered about hanging an asian who was gay because he didn't like your favorite flag. That's not exactly being left alone to live in peace and harmony, now, is it, Mr. Bearden?

#16 | Posted by YankeeAvenger at 2014-07-14 01:56 PM | Reply | Flag:

#1 | Posted by northguy3 at 2014-07-

do I HAVE to even mention that we're talking about American citizens instead of some muslim islamic radical yada yada yada.....

this is so stupid and I know people of color that think it's stupid....it's history AND a reminder according to one in particular.

once again, people run like cowards....

#17 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2014-07-14 01:56 PM | Reply | Flag:

#4 | Posted by BillyBearden at 2014-0

don't bother trying...it's worse than him not knowing....he thinks it's funny..

lol

#18 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2014-07-14 01:57 PM | Reply | Flag:

I LOVE the comments about LEE breaking his oath......from people who voted for obama.....SURELY you see the irony there...

#19 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2014-07-14 01:59 PM | Reply | Flag:

My father was drafted during the Vietnam War but never left the country. He was used as a surveyor, mostly in the southern US.

To this day, the us vs. them attitude many southerners had towards him as a "Yankee" still pisses him off when he thinks about it.

He said something interesting yesterday and that was that "Northerners" don't really exist in the sense that some people consider themselves "Southerners". Yeah there are people in the Northern states who goof on the South but they don't identify as "Northerners" or obsess over the Civil War and generally only argue with North vs. South stuff if someone else brings it up.

#20 | Posted by Sully at 2014-07-14 02:06 PM | Reply | Flag:

As a southerner people that live here or are from here do identify by the region of the country we live in. People just love the south culture. As far as the Civil War goes I think part of it is that the war was fought here. I can see Kennesaw battlefield from my office. I take my kids to a battlefield in north Georgia b/c it's got walking trails and stuff to do outside. I've been to some cities in the north a handful of times and I've always been treated nice enough. Once at a bar some girls started buying me beers just so they could hear my southern accent. As far as "yankees" in the south people tend to think they are rude simply b/c they don't have a southern accent and people in the south take forever to do or say something.

#21 | Posted by Dalton at 2014-07-14 02:16 PM | Reply | Flag:

#21 | Posted by Dalton at 2014-07-14 02:16 PM | Reply | Flag:

I worked with this women who was out of the NC office who had a funny accent that I assumed was a regional southern accent I had never heard. Turns out she was from Pittsburgh. Apparently some of the people from NC were fooled too. She said she stopped correcting people after she saw how disappointed the cook in the cafeteria was when he called her a "true Southerner" and she told him she was from PA.

I've wrote about it here before but I used to work with one guy located in NC who was a real idiot about that stuff. Apparently he also considered me some sort of rival so I think he made it a point to say it all the time in my presence. It would embarass the people from the NC office when I had to go there for meetings. They made it a point to let me know that he was really from Texas and that they were raised with better manners. LOL

#22 | Posted by Sully at 2014-07-14 02:46 PM | Reply | Flag:

#3 'sacred memorial'

WTF is SACRED about killing humans due to the color of their skin?

Better put your hood on right quick so your buds don't see you crying.

#23 | Posted by 88120rob at 2014-07-14 02:52 PM | Reply | Flag:

You guys may know this already but I thought it was interesting. During the Civil War government did a pretty smart thing requiring all property taxes to be paid by the owner in person. Obviously Lee could not do this and that is how the federal government took his property and created Arlington cemetary.

#24 | Posted by Dalton at 2014-07-14 02:52 PM | Reply | Flag:

Evidently my accent is rather heavy according to the girls in the bar when I was in Boston once. After I talked to them the first time one looked at me like I was from another country. Then they just giggled and wanted me to tell dumb stories. It was a fun day though.

#25 | Posted by Dalton at 2014-07-14 03:04 PM | Reply | Flag:

#25 | Posted by Dalton at 2014-07-14 03:04 PM | Reply | Flag:

They probably wanted to hear you talk because the Boston accent is murder on the ears even to people from there. Probably nice to listen to someone whose accent doesn't make them want to puncture their own eardrums.

#26 | Posted by Sully at 2014-07-14 03:17 PM | Reply | Flag:

I was in Boston for some time before I realized that when people there said they were going to a "potty", they didn't mean the bathroom.

(A party)

The first time in a Boston bar, I, being from Texas, asked for a "draw".
After a funny look and a hesitation, the bartender asked me if I meant a draft. I said no, I was warm enough, I just wanted a beer.

#27 | Posted by Corky at 2014-07-14 03:27 PM | Reply | Flag: