Sunday, July 13, 2014

Germany won its fourth World Cup after a tense 1-0 victory over Argentina on Sunday. Mario Gotze's strike, seven minutes from the end of extra time, ensured Germany ended its 24-year wait for glory at Rio de Janeiro's Maracana Stadium. Deadlocked at 0-0 after 90 minutes, it was left to substitute Gotze to provide the game's defining moment with a touch of magic. The Bayern Munich star took Andre Schurrle's pass on his chest before displaying exquisite technique to volley the ball past Sergio Romero.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

Comments

Dave & Busters here we come! We are new soccer fans!

#1 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2014-07-13 10:30 AM | Reply | Flag:

Welcome aboard, Gracie. I hope this is a good game. Some teams tend to get way too cautious and tight in the final games of the World Cup.

I predict a 2-1 German victory.

#2 | Posted by rcade at 2014-07-13 10:49 AM | Reply | Flag:

Germ. - 3
Arg. - 1

#3 | Posted by kudzu at 2014-07-13 11:10 AM | Reply | Flag:

Can someone tell me exactly when the game is being played. I have seen times ranging from 12 to 4.

#4 | Posted by kudzu at 2014-07-13 11:25 AM | Reply | Flag:

On ABC at 3 p.m. Eastern. I think that's when the teams come out, the anthems are sung and play shortly begins.

#5 | Posted by rcade at 2014-07-13 12:49 PM | Reply | Flag:

Brazil was overrated as the Dutch proved. I predict a 2-1 Argentina victory.

#6 | Posted by DRJIMMIES at 2014-07-13 12:50 PM | Reply | Flag:

Kudzu: Actually, tune in at 2:50 p.m. if you want to see the pregame festivities.

#7 | Posted by rcade at 2014-07-13 01:25 PM | Reply | Flag:

Germany all the way.

#8 | Posted by ClownShack at 2014-07-13 01:28 PM | Reply | Flag:

Here on the west coast pre game coverage starts at 11am. And I think the actual game starts at noon.

#9 | Posted by ClownShack at 2014-07-13 01:32 PM | Reply | Flag:

soccer is a game where they kick around the ball then Germany wins.

#10 | Posted by ichiro at 2014-07-13 01:57 PM | Reply | Flag:

My prediction: 0-0 after overtime. Then they will settle it by shooting free throws.

#11 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-07-13 02:25 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

I am with Nulli, shooting free throws at the end wins it...

What a terrible sport in that regard.

#12 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-07-13 03:27 PM | Reply | Flag:

As predicted: 0-0 at the half.

#13 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-07-13 03:48 PM | Reply | Flag:

I guess to some, quantity is better than quality.

#14 | Posted by Harry_Powell at 2014-07-13 03:53 PM | Reply | Flag:

so it's no score at the half of the kick ball game ??

hmmmm

#15 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2014-07-13 04:37 PM | Reply | Flag:

Gooooooal!

#16 | Posted by ClownShack at 2014-07-13 05:26 PM | Reply | Flag:

The winning goal was freaking amazing. Off the chest, side kick while falling. Freaking amazing.

#17 | Posted by nutcase at 2014-07-13 05:38 PM | Reply | Flag:

I am with Nulli, shooting free throws at the end wins it...

What a terrible sport in that regard.

#12 | Posted by AndreaMackris

except it didn't...Goetz delivered in a picture perfect goal...what an incredible game in that regard...

#18 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-07-13 06:13 PM | Reply | Flag:

#18 | POSTED BY DONNERBOY

Well if took 115min before it actually became interesting, meaning either team began to take chances.

Of course you read that I think the game is terrible, but even commentators iterated my feelings....

Overall great goal by Götze!

Why isn't this at the top anymore?

#19 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-07-13 06:19 PM | Reply | Flag:

I don't think that at all. There were a lot more chances in the first half than I expected, and Argentina had several strong opportunities to take the lead.

#20 | Posted by rcade at 2014-07-13 06:20 PM | Reply | Flag:

Argentina scored first. Crooked German Refs. Meh.

#21 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2014-07-13 06:31 PM | Reply | Flag:

"I don't think that at all. There were a lot more chances in the first half than I expected," - RCade

Agreed, two chances, the header in to the post was really too bad.

But overall the game if it wasn't the WC final wasn't too good of a game.

#22 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-07-13 06:33 PM | Reply | Flag:

Argentina scored first. Crooked German Refs. Meh.
#21 | POSTED BY GRACIEAMAZED

I thought the no call on the German getting hit in the cheek was a makeup call :)

#23 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-07-13 06:34 PM | Reply | Flag:

And as a new soccer fan they need commercials. There is only so much Blue Moon one can drink before having to go potty. Being the ONLY one in the bar not KNOWING beer was free until the FIRST person got up to go potty I was much hated after I went potty.

#24 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2014-07-13 06:36 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

goooooooooooaaaaaaallll!
...all it take is one...
wtg Germany...make my heritage
proud...

#25 | Posted by earthmuse at 2014-07-13 07:09 PM | Reply | Flag:

Works for me as I am of German heritage when my ancestors arrived in the [then] British colonies] in the late 1600s.

#26 | Posted by MSgt at 2014-07-13 07:14 PM | Reply | Flag:

#20 | Posted by rcade

me either...

I actually thought Argentina was gonna win for a while there. both defenses were very tight. Each opportunity was precious. They both blew several big ones.

The odds were just not in Argentina's favor.

#27 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-07-13 07:15 PM | Reply | Flag:

Argentina scored first. Crooked German Refs. Meh.

#21 | Posted by gracieamazed

Gracie meet Offsides. Offsides meet Gracie. That was not a legal goal.

#28 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-07-13 07:17 PM | Reply | Flag:

Great - the heritage of my motherland and DNA that immigrated to the USA in the early 1700s excels against others....German Anglo pride, German pride (isn't that the way it should work; ethnic pride; it is OK for some; racist for others)?

I've always said a country becomes inherently what its people are, and not what they want to be based upon others. I'm proud of my heritage with its work ethic and initiative, even though there are some who work very hard in an attempt to make us ashamed, while they manipulate and profit from the sheep.

#29 | Posted by Robson at 2014-07-13 07:19 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

"Great - the heritage of my motherland and DNA that immigrated to the USA in the early 1700s excels against others..."

Argentina contains quite of bit of German DNA, it arrived right after WWII.

#30 | Posted by danni at 2014-07-13 07:46 PM | Reply | Flag:

#29 | Posted by Robson at 2014-07-13 07:19 PM

Get a load of this blowhard.

#31 | Posted by DRJIMMIES at 2014-07-13 07:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

I'm proud of and love my ethnicity and my German homeland - VIVA Soccer and Germany and globalist sports!!!

My Germany did it and the chumps in South America didn't. That's how the media and pols project sports to profit and manipulate us chumps. Most won't have a clue or understand and so be it. Viva Germany!

#32 | Posted by Robson at 2014-07-13 08:11 PM | Reply | Flag:

Be careful how far you take your German pride.

I'm Irish. While your people were overachieving mine were at the pub.

#33 | Posted by rcade at 2014-07-13 09:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

OG Nazis beat the chicken Nazis. Hurray.

#34 | Posted by Harry_Powell at 2014-07-13 10:16 PM | Reply | Flag:

Who won the world tiddlywinks championship?
It's more exciting.

#35 | Posted by Diablo at 2014-07-14 02:56 AM | Reply | Flag:

Before the tournament, my son bet me 20 bucks that Germany would win the Cup. I took Brazil. Then at half time, yearning to possibly get even, I bet him another 20 that Argentina would win. So I'm out 40 bucks to a 9 year old, plus I'm showing amazing paternal skills getting my son involved in sports gambling. Start of a great week!!

#36 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2014-07-14 07:55 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

My Germany did it and the chumps in South America didn't.

Don't cry for Argentina. They are still a great team.

#37 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-07-14 10:44 AM | Reply | Flag:

I had about $200 on Argentina to win. Oh well. I do agree with the refs off-side call on Higuain when he scored. He was a fraction of a second to early on his run. Also, Gotze was wonderful. Germany earned the victory. They were two very even teams imo.

#38 | Posted by moder8 at 2014-07-14 11:31 AM | Reply | Flag:

Gotze sei dank!

#39 | Posted by tontonmacoute at 2014-07-14 01:01 PM | Reply | Flag:

Das macht nicht so gut for Higuain who was way offside, not even close to warrant repeated views. And his early miss, by ten feet no less, on the Kroos giveaway was unforgivable. Messi had a good tournament but below what as expected and what he is capable of.

#40 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2014-07-14 02:27 PM | Reply | Flag: