Friday, July 11, 2014

A clerical error has renamed a Manhattan block that contains a church after the late comedian George Carlin, the merrily vulgar comic who relentlessly mocked it for years after attending its school as a child. The city renamed a two-block stretch of West 121st Street as George Carlin Way, but it only intended to rename one block -- the one containing Carlin's childhood home. Kevin Bartini, a comedian who led the renaming effort, said Carlin would've been amused by the mistake. "I think he would have loved every moment," Bartini said.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

Comments

You ever see that thing on a package of cookies that says "open here"? What the fvk you think I'm gonna do? Go to another room and open it?

#1 | Posted by justanoversight at 2014-07-11 09:35 AM | Reply | Flag:

George Carlin was a funny man always made me laugh, if anybody is heading down his way say hello.

#2 | Posted by ATaxpayer at 2014-07-11 09:45 AM | Reply | Flag:

"if anybody is heading down his way say hello."

so you are saying he is in hell?

i disagree.

he is on a special cloud just outside (but within earshot) of the pearly gates. he sits there on his cloud, thinking up material while holding a microphone that he can turn on anytime.

a small sign posted on the cloud reads:

"george denis patrick carlin 1937-2008--
to damned controversial to let in
but too damned funny to let burn"

#3 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2014-07-11 11:15 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

"Priests there opposed the plan for years, calling Mr. Carlin, who died in 2008, unworthy of the honor." AHAHA!! Awesome! Priests opposed the commemoration of a satirist that actually spoke truth to power, committing that ultimate sin of skepticism of their "divine" authority - how unexpected.

#4 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2014-07-11 11:29 AM | Reply | Flag:

Two choices: whine or embrace it. I'd be hiring comedians to help write sermons in the spirit of the moment.

#5 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2014-07-11 11:42 AM | Reply | Flag:

He railed against religion and belief in God, yet he believed in God(s?)

Read his words for yourself.

"I think...the planet sees us as a mild threat. Something to be dealt with.....The planet will think of something. What would you do if you were the planet? How would you defend yourself against this troublesome, pesky species? Let's see... Viruses. Viruses might be good. They seem vulnerable to viruses. And, uh...viruses are tricky, always mutating and forming new strains whenever a vaccine is developed. Perhaps, this first virus could be one that compromises the immune system of these creatures. Perhaps a human immunodeficiency virus, making them vulnerable to all sorts of other diseases and infections that might come along. And maybe it could be spread sexually, making them a little reluctant to engage in the act of reproduction.

....I think we're part of a greater wisdom than we will ever understand. A higher order. Call it what you want. Know what I call it? The Big Electron. The Big Electron...whoooa. Whoooa. Whoooa. It doesn't punish, it doesn't reward, it doesn't judge at all. It just is. And so are we. For a little while."

#6 | Posted by Tor at 2014-07-11 05:42 PM | Reply | Flag:

6: doesn't necessarily mean God or gods. More than a few believe systems see wisdom or greater power without seeing divine beings...

#7 | Posted by pragmatist at 2014-07-11 07:12 PM | Reply | Flag:

Carlin believed the earth to be sentient and that we're all part of a higher order/greater wisdom.

In short he believed in God.

I also know he'd also have found this street error funny.

#8 | Posted by Tor at 2014-07-11 11:08 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Religion convinced the world that there's an invisible man in the sky who watches everything you do. And there's 10 things he doesn't want you to do or else you'll to to a burning place with a lake of fire until the end of eternity. But he loves you! ...And he needs money! He's all powerful, but he can't handle money! [George Carlin, fromalbum "You Are All Diseased"

We created god in our own image and likeness![George Carlin]

I've begun worshipping the sun for a number of reasons. First of all, unlike some other gods I could mention, I can see the sun. It's there for me every day. And the things it brings me are quite apparent all the time: heat, light, food, a lovely day. There's no mystery, no one asks for money, I don't have to dress up, and there's no boring pageantry. And interestingly enough, I have found that the prayers I offer to the sun and the prayers I formerly offered to God are all answered at about the same 50-percent rate.[George Carlin, from "You Are All Diseased".]

Jesus was a cross dresser [George Carlin, Brain Droppings]

I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.[George Carlin]

#9 | Posted by soulfly at 2014-07-11 11:43 PM | Reply | Flag:

Like I said "He railed against religion and belief in God"

#10 | Posted by Tor at 2014-07-11 11:47 PM | Reply | Flag:

Like I said "He railed against religion and belief in God"

#10 | POSTED BY TOR

You may have said that, but you typed

"In short he believed in God."

So, which is it? Believed or rail against.
I have no idea what carlins true beliefs were. He was a comic. Seems to me the joke on you. Especially if you think you can speak for him and what he thought. Unless you knew him personally I dont see how what say means anything.

#11 | Posted by soulfly at 2014-07-12 12:33 AM | Reply | Flag:

Soulfly I also wrote:

"Carlin had what may have been the most beautiful case of cognitive dissidence ever."

#12 | Posted by Tor at 2014-07-12 01:58 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

Cognitive dissidence. So, is this your final determination doctor?

Leon Festinger (1957) proposed cognitive dissonance theory, which states that a powerful motive to maintain cognitive consistency can give rise to irrational and sometimes maladaptive behavior.

I don't consider his behavior to be either irrational or maladaptive. But your the expert.

#13 | Posted by soulfly at 2014-07-12 02:40 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

#7 | Posted by pragmatist at 20

read short stories by stephen king...he says as much for his system as well....

but I too think he would like it.....too bad the last several years all he had become was an angry old man...

#14 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2014-07-12 01:47 PM | Reply | Flag:

Cosmic Ironic Justice or a Ghost in the Machine? Either way, I like it. But now, in honor of the late George Carlin, at the cost of a warning,...

[...]

#15 | Posted by FlyUntied at 2014-07-12 03:31 PM | Reply | Flag:

too bad the last several years all he had become was an angry old man...

#14 | Posted by afkabl2

If the world does not make you angry at least sometimes you are either not paying attention or you have become the 29th Buddha and you are now ready to teach the the rest of us the pure Dharma.

"In short he believed in God."

So, which is it? Believed or rail against.

I don't think he believed in a "God of the Bible" as Christians believe.

Anyway ...The Pope said even a nonbeliever in God can go to heaven. (not sure why they would want to with so many other places to visit in "Life After Death" since you could go ANYWHERE ANYTIME ANYDIMENSION...but ok).

If there is a place/time called "Heaven" I bet George would be welcome there...It takes a real Saint to still be able to find The Funny sometimes. We love having them around.

#16 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-07-12 03:41 PM | Reply | Flag:

SOULFLY I said "may" as in:

"For all you know I may have a PHD in psychology from Harvard".

#17 | Posted by Tor at 2014-07-12 05:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

TOR I said "doctor" as in:

"For all you know you may have a PHD in psychology from Harvard".

#18 | Posted by soulfly at 2014-07-12 08:01 PM | Reply | Flag:

Tor, ypu have not convinced anyone. Again, my first post applies.

#19 | Posted by pragmatist at 2014-07-12 10:22 PM | Reply | Flag:

Tor, ypu have not convinced anyone. Again, my first post applies.

#20 | Posted by pragmatist at 2014-07-12 10:22 PM | Reply | Flag:

You not ypu. Damned tablet.

#21 | Posted by pragmatist at 2014-07-12 10:23 PM | Reply | Flag:

@ soulfly.

I'm not sure your last post made sense.

#22 | Posted by Tor at 2014-07-12 10:31 PM | Reply | Flag:

For all you know, you may have a PHD in psychology from Harvard.

Damn you TOR!!!! Are you psychologist or english teacher? Above is my revised and corrected dumb ass rebuttal to your smart ass remark.

"Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot."
- Peter Griffin

#23 | Posted by soulfly at 2014-07-12 11:32 PM | Reply | Flag:

LOL it's all good soulfly.

#24 | Posted by Tor at 2014-07-13 12:05 AM | Reply | Flag: