Thursday, July 10, 2014

For more than 60 years, the Trappist monks at St. Joseph's Abbey had relied on jams and jellies to support their monastery and community work in Spencer, Massachusetts. But a few years ago, they realized the "expense line was rising at a faster rate than our income," said Friar Issac. So in the spirit of their heritage (Trappist monks have been brewing beer in Europe for centuries), the monks at St. Joseph decided to start a brewery. Spencer Brewery opened its doors earlier this year as the first Trappist brewery outside of Europe.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

Comments

Are they looking for recruits? I'll shave the top of my head and hang out all day drinking beer, all quiet and meditatively. What does somebody have to do to start an abbey?

#1 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2014-07-10 02:11 PM | Reply | Flag:

No dancing beer steins?

#2 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2014-07-10 02:14 PM | Reply | Flag:

States deregulating the beer market has done wonders for it. We're no longer held hostage by whomever can flood the shelf space at retailers.

#3 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2014-07-10 02:25 PM | Reply | Flag:

"There's a big focus on sustainability and green practices: Local farmers use the spent grain as animal feed and compost, and the brewery plans to install solar panels on the roof soon. The entire process is actually very in sync with the monks' "quiet, meditative way," according to Friar Isaac.

"We really brew on the practical level to sustain a way of life," he said. "Plus it brightens up Sunday suppers."

I knew it! Damn liberal hippy theists.

#4 | Posted by Corky at 2014-07-10 02:35 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 2

Growing your own Cannabis is also very therapeutic and meditative.

I look forward to some of that Meditative Monkey Beer to go with my Meditative Monkey Weed.

--The Meditative MonkeyBoy

#5 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-07-10 02:56 PM | Reply | Flag:

I love Trappist beers. I had to give them up for the Belgium/U.S. World Cup match. It's the hardest thing I've ever done.

#6 | Posted by rcade at 2014-07-10 03:00 PM | Reply | Flag:

Trappist Monks also make caskets.

I'm giving those up, too (well..., for now).

#7 | Posted by TrueBlue at 2014-07-10 03:13 PM | Reply | Flag:

Will you need a churchkey to open them up??

#8 | Posted by LarryMohr at 2014-07-10 03:27 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

And I thought there had been Monks brewing in America for some times. :?

#9 | Posted by Tor at 2014-07-10 03:52 PM | Reply | Flag:

St. Arnold's is brewed by old hippies & modern hipsters, definitely not monks.

#10 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2014-07-10 03:54 PM | Reply | Flag:

Why no dancing bananas?

#11 | Posted by tontonmacoute at 2014-07-10 03:55 PM | Reply | Flag:

Why no dancing bananas?

Posted by tontonmacoute at 2014-07-10 03:55 PM | Reply

Probably he didn't want people slipping with the beer.

#12 | Posted by LarryMohr at 2014-07-10 03:57 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Why no dancing bananas?"

They are harder to brew.

#13 | Posted by salamandagator at 2014-07-10 03:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

I find a European Hefeweisen yeast simulates banana, or at least banana bread, quite well. Eliminating the need for dancing bananas.

I don't know what dancing yeast would look like. [...]

#14 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-07-10 07:06 PM | Reply | Flag:

Let's see if it's as good as the Belgians' brew.
Mmmmm....Chimay.....

Yeah, I'm gonna milk that for a bit longer.

#15 | Posted by TheTom at 2014-07-11 12:18 AM | Reply | Flag:

TheTom - Belgian beers are incredible.

You cited Chimay (blue is my fave). But I've had others I like even better. Guldendrak comes to mind.

#16 | Posted by JeffJ at 2014-07-11 12:27 AM | Reply | Flag:

St. Arnold's is brewed by old hippies & modern hipsters, definitely not monks.

Mmmmm St. Arnold's. I miss that brewery.

#17 | Posted by jpw at 2014-07-11 03:41 AM | Reply | Flag:

Anything from St. Bernardus. Especially their Christmas ale though. I love cracking a giant bottle of that every year.

There's some good Belgian style stuff from this side of the pond as well. Unibroue makes good stuff but Ommegang can make heaven in a bottle.

#19 | Posted by jpw at 2014-07-11 03:51 AM | Reply | Flag:

Mmmmm St. Arnold's. I miss that brewery.

#17 | POSTED BY JPW AT 2014-07-11 03:41 AM | FLAG:

It's big now. They left the industrial park years ago and bought a really nice building downtown. Executive chefs regularly serve lunches there, they've got the collector's market dialed in, and smoothly transitioned from local to regional brewery. Hats off to them, they've done incredibly well.

I haven't been back for a tasting in awhile though. There are many breweries in Houston now. No Label Brew in Katy is winning a ton of national awards with their beers, and they sponsor me putting on the world's only beer-tasting with an airshow.

#20 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2014-07-11 07:56 AM | Reply | Flag:

Very hip to like the Trappist brew but count me out. I'll take a Pilzen(er) any day.

#21 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2014-07-11 12:12 PM | Reply | Flag:

Let's see if it's as good as the Belgians' brew.
Mmmmm....Chimay.....

Chimay has been my favorite beer for 25 years, but Trappistes Roquefort may be changing that.

Among American beers, Stone IPA is making me like India pale ales.

#22 | Posted by rcade at 2014-07-11 12:27 PM | Reply | Flag:

What German pilsners are good? The local World of Beer has Bitburger Premium, Einbecker Brauherren, Flensburger, Pinkus UR, Radeberger and Warsteiner Premium Verum.

#23 | Posted by rcade at 2014-07-11 12:28 PM | Reply | Flag:

German? Rcade, let Wikipedia clarify.

Plzeň or Pilsen, (in German) is a city in western Bohemia in the Czech Republic. It is the capital of the Plzeň Region and the fourth most populous city in the Czech Republic. The city is known worldwide for Pilsner beer. Plzeň was in September 2010 selected by an official jury to be put forward to join the Belgian city of Mons as the European capital of culture in 2015. The officials of Plzeň founded a city-owned brewery in 1839, Bürger Brauerei (Citizens' Brewery – now Plzeňský Prazdroj),[6] and recruited Bavarian brewer Josef Groll (1813–1887) who produced the first batch of modern Pilsner beer on 5 October 1842. The combination of pale colour from the new malts, Pilsen's remarkably soft water, Saaz noble hops from nearby Žatec (Saaz in German) and Bavarian-style lagering produced a clear, golden beer which was regarded as a sensation. Improving transport meant that this new beer was soon available throughout Central Europe and Pilsner Brauart-style brewing was widely imitated. In 1859, "Pilsner Bier" was registered as a brand name at the Chamber of Commerce and Trade in Plzeň. In 1898, the Pilsner Urquell trade mark was created to put emphasis on it being the original brewery.

Oh, and we're number 1, we're number 1!! Its not even close.

Consumption per capita in liters

1. Czech Republic 148.6
2 Austria 107.8
3 Germany 106.1
4 Estonia 102.4
5 Poland 98.5
6 Ireland 98.3
7 Croatia 85.9
8 Venezuela 85.5
9 Finland 84.2 -
10 Romania 83.2

Belgium is 18th. USA 14th.

#24 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2014-07-11 03:04 PM | Reply | Flag:

I've only had one Czech Pilsner, Pilsner Urquell. Not a fan.

And life is too damn short to waste on American pilsners.

#25 | Posted by TheTom at 2014-07-11 05:43 PM | Reply | Flag: