Monday, July 07, 2014

Piers Morgan is gone from CNN, but new host John Walsh plans to continue his campaign for gun control. Besides hosting America's Most Wanted and advocating for victims' rights, Walsh has been a longtime advocate of background checks and other safety measures. He said he would continue that fight now that he is joining CNN as the host of The Hunt, a new show about catching fugitives. "I own guns. I'm the father of a murdered child. I've done nothing but track violence in America since my son was murdered," Walsh said. "We have a serious problem with guns in this country. And we refuse to address it. And the NRA solution to arm every grammar-school 80-year-old teacher with a gun is absolutely ludicrous, he said."

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

Walsh said the NRA is so deeply in the pocket of the gun industry that "they're not a lobbyist on Capitol Hill, they're a gun manufacturer rep." He also said Vice President Joe Biden recently agreed with him that politicians are "scared s---less" of the NRA.

Comments

"the NRA solution to arm every grammar-school 80-year-old teacher with a gun is absolutely ludicrous"

Like I've said there are teachers we could trust with nuts and teachers I wouldn't let touch a slingshot.

#1 | Posted by Tor at 2014-07-07 06:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

"And the NRA solution to arm every school" Fine as long as we can send them the bill. Just a few billion dollars a year. I am sure that the patriotic dues paying members of the NRA are more then willing to dig just a little deeper, in their pockets to protect our children.

Sammy in GUN CRAZY Arizona

#2 | Posted by SammyAZ_RI at 2014-07-07 06:26 PM | Reply | Flag:

If CNN really does want to challenge the NRA, a mouthpiece like John Walsh is a lot more credible and acceptable to most Americans than a condescending overbearing English tabloid journalist like Morgan.

#3 | Posted by moder8 at 2014-07-07 06:46 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

I asked a former teacher about the idea of teachers carrying guns.

She grumbled that she went to college to avoid having to live and work in areas where guns were common and now idiots are demanding she carry one?

#4 | Posted by Tor at 2014-07-07 06:55 PM | Reply | Flag:

Ah, but will any of the 17 remaining CNN viewers watch his show?

#5 | Posted by MSgt at 2014-07-07 07:53 PM | Reply | Flag:

"they're not a lobbyist on Capitol Hill, they're a gun manufacturer rep."

Even some NRA members will admit that fact. OK, not many, but some.

#6 | Posted by Corky at 2014-07-07 08:05 PM | Reply | Flag:

John Walsh is held in high regard by law enforcement at every level across the nation. He has a media brand that Morgan didn't. And he tells it like it is. No wonder gun nutz are concerned.

#7 | Posted by coffeemaker at 2014-07-07 08:10 PM | Reply | Flag:

It's not the messenger, it's the message. If he parrots the same discredited garbage spewed but the control freaks then he will get no more respect. Should he bother to include rational thinking rather then just emotional response then he can be part of the grown ups discussion. But that is so incredibly uncommon from the control psychos that there is virtually no chance.

#8 | Posted by salamandagator at 2014-07-07 08:20 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 2

"But that is so incredibly uncommon from the control psychos that there is virtually no chance."

Same with the other side. Any hint of anything is a "slippery slope" that ends in confiscation and the Gulag.

#9 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-07-07 08:35 PM | Reply | Flag:

#8 | POSTED BY SALAMANDAGATOR

NW on that.

#6 | POSTED BY CORKY

I know many NRA members who have been longtime or lifetime members that say that, and I've never joined even tho I own firearms.

Never saw the draw to be honest as I couldn't rationalize what, other than bumper stickers, membership actually provided. Now they've quickly become marginalized as lunatics, which I actually agree with. The sad thing is that I don't even think it's really even based around firearms but rather politics and the left/right BS currently going on.

Personally as Salamander stated, until there can be an honest debate, it's one set of crazy loons (rabid NRA'ers) who think God's greatest gift is a firearm vs. the other set of crazy loons who think that everyone who even looks at a firearm w/out revulsion is a "gun nut" who's opinion is written off because of that bias.

Because of that, neither side listens to the other and it's just another version of the left/right idiocy that exists. Neither side wants to give an inch regarding any kind of compromise because their respective BS ideology gets in the way.

#10 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-07-08 07:37 AM | Reply | Flag:

Good for him. People who have experienced loss like Walsh has SHOULD get in the faces of gun kooks, just as those kooks and the NRA do to many Americans. Shaming those who propose that every citizen carry a gun to church is one way to call out their sick, thoughtless ways...

#11 | Posted by catdog at 2014-07-08 08:17 AM | Reply | Flag:

Problem is, to compromise to the left, I would have to give up some or all of a right. Then I would become like them. Don't want that. Problem is, any compromise is only an inch and the other side will always take a yard.

#12 | Posted by boaz at 2014-07-08 09:32 AM | Reply | Flag:

I believe in gun control. I really do. What I mean by that is when I want two or three guns, I have the control to buy just one.

#13 | Posted by sames1 at 2014-07-08 10:15 AM | Reply | Flag:

" People who have experienced loss like Walsh has SHOULD get in the faces of gun kooks, just as those kooks and the NRA do to many Americans. Shaming those who propose that every citizen carry a gun to church is one way to call out their sick, thoughtless ways..."

So what "control" exactly would have stopped his loss? ""Crickets""

#14 | Posted by sames1 at 2014-07-08 10:17 AM | Reply | Flag:

If a person wants to create harm, they are going to. No law in this land is going to stop it. On 9/11 thousands of laws were broken when 4 planes were hijacked, and at no point did they falter in their resolve based upon a law they might break.

Making cars harder to buy and use for the average person, does not solve any drunk driving issues. The same applies to gun ownership. Making it harder for me to own/carry use a firearm doesn't help anyone. You want to solve the "gun problem"? Stop the glorification of these actions, stop faulting everyone and their brother besides the person actually responsible.

Ford isn't blamed for every DUI death, the person behind the wheel is. How are firearm related deaths any different?

#15 | Posted by Brent_NC at 2014-07-08 02:59 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Cat dog,
His kid wasn't killed with a gun, so your comment doesn't make any sense.

Cops don't give a fig about Walsh. It's pr and politics. No street cop fives a guck about AMW.

#16 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2014-07-08 03:14 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Problem is, any compromise is only an inch and the other side will always take a yard.
#12 | Posted by boaz"

You already have compromised, dummy. Don't believe me? Go buy a machine gun, a tank, an anti-aircraft gun, and a nuclear weapon. Tell us how it goes for you.

#17 | Posted by mOntecOre at 2014-07-08 08:04 PM | Reply | Flag:

#18 | Posted by jpw at 2014-07-08 08:20 PM | Reply | Flag:

#12 Boaz: Problem is, to compromise to the left, I would have to give up some or all of a right.

In the real world, I love telling strident gun control supporters that we've seen tens of thousands of gun control laws passed over the past 40+ years. Most don't believe it. Some are so ignorant they think one can buy any kind of weapon they want thru the mail or with no paperwork from a gun dealer or 'gun show'.

Remember when guns and ammo could simply be ordered through the mail? No background check, no paperwork, just send the money and your local friendly mailman would drop off your Garand rifle. But in the name of 'compromising' that ended in 1968.

No interstate sales of handguns. No purchases without filling out a 4473 form (lying on it is a felony, whether the gun purchase goes through or not). Magazine restrictions in many locations. No sales of scary-looking firearms in many locations (based on nothing more than looks, not lethality or actual firepower). Registration of firearms in many locations - which HAS RESULTED IN CONFISCATION multiple times already. Imports stopped by a stroke of a federal pen.

Yet somehow gun owners are supposed to just budge a few more inches and that is all they want. Me, I don't want a single bit more compromising. I'm glad to see some states who have actually LIBERALIZED their concealed carry laws and started repealing some of the idiotic, non-crime-fighting measures sold as 'gun control'.

Will John Walsh do better than Piers Morgan? Anybody could! I'll see what he proposes but if it is more of the stuff we've seen from groups like Mayors Against... sold as 'common sense measures', the NRA and others will hopefully stop it cold.

#19 | Posted by AKat at 2014-07-08 09:31 PM | Reply | Flag:

"...just send the money and your local friendly mailman would drop off your Garand rifle."

Or a 6.5 mm Carcano Model 91/38 carbine. I wonder why "that ended in 1968"?

#20 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-07-08 10:05 PM | Reply | Flag:

didn't he find his child's severed head in a canal?

#21 | Posted by suzycreamcheese at 2014-07-09 12:25 PM | Reply | Flag:

"So anti-gunners should acknowledge this and maybe lay off the irrational demands a bit? Maybe, compromise themselves?
#18 | Posted by jpw"

Perhaps. "Irrational" is an opinion, and anyone can have one of those. What "compromise" means in this arena is also subject to opinion.

#22 | Posted by mOntecOre at 2014-07-09 12:42 PM | Reply | Flag:

Perhaps. "Irrational" is an opinion, and anyone can have one of those.

Sure. Anyone can have an opinion.

But only to the irrational is it rational to propose the same ideas that didn't work in the past.

#23 | Posted by jpw at 2014-07-09 04:08 PM | Reply | Flag:

Unassailable.

#24 | Posted by mOntecOre at 2014-07-09 07:09 PM | Reply | Flag:

When John Walsh's son was kidnapped I lived only a few blocks away from the Walsh family. I have never met John Walsh but some of my friends knew him. By all accounts, before the tragedy, John Walsh was a real nice guy and everyone really did like him and after the tragedy his motivation was to help solve crimes and prevent tragedies. I have no idea what he is all about today but those who knew him believe he has always been primarily motivated by a sincere desire to help prevent things such as the horrible crimes committed against his son. BTW, I used to shop regularly in the Sears where his son was kidnapped.

#25 | Posted by danni at 2014-07-09 07:33 PM | Reply | Flag:

I feel for Walsh and loss of his son (beating then choked to death by a drifter and then dismembered with a machete). But more laws won't stop those that are already breaking the law. Instead of adding more "feel good" laws on the books how about actually enforcing those we already have. I have a feeling that Walsh will end up go down the same path as Morgan on CNN, unemployed.

#26 | Posted by MrApple at 2014-07-10 11:24 AM | Reply | Flag: