Saturday, July 05, 2014

People presenting themselves as Buddhist monks or Taoist nuns and soliciting donations have become ubiquitous in Times Square. No one seems to know who they really are or where they come from. Various Buddhists have confronted the men, asking about their affiliation or quizzing them about the religion

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

Comments

ISIS

#1 | Posted by bat4255 at 2014-07-05 10:37 PM | Reply | Flag:

Sounds like the start of a Doctor Who episode.

#2 | Posted by Tor at 2014-07-05 11:03 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

I guess it beats rooting through the garbage to collect cans for their CRV.

#3 | Posted by censored at 2014-07-05 11:59 PM | Reply | Flag:

Another version of the Moonies?

#4 | Posted by Twinpac at 2014-07-06 03:36 AM | Reply | Flag:

#2 | POSTED BY TOR
"Sounds like the start of a Doctor Who episode."

The Headless Monks!

#5 | Posted by TheTom at 2014-07-06 09:52 AM | Reply | Flag:

I was there. I was approaced. I said nope. That was the end of it What's the big deal?

#6 | Posted by suzycreamcheese at 2014-07-06 11:37 AM | Reply | Flag:

#7 | Posted by suzycreamcheese at 2014-07-06 11:37 AM | Reply | Flag:

oops approached

#8 | Posted by suzycreamcheese at 2014-07-06 11:38 AM | Reply | Flag:

#7 | Posted by suzycreamcheese at 2014-07-06 11:37 AM

Obtaining donations under false pretenses could be considered fraud, and could be a criminal offense, such as larceny by trick.

In addition, such fraudulent conduct may discourage individuals from donating to legitimate recipients (if a bunch of fraudsters went out on the street soliciting donations for the Salvation Army at Xmas time, real Salvation Army volunteers may have more difficulty obtaining donations, either because people may believe that they have already donated or because people may believe that all of the Santas, even the real Salvation Army volunteers, are actually fraudsters)

#9 | Posted by censored at 2014-07-06 01:41 PM | Reply | Flag:

Actually, it may just be criminal fraud, and not larceny by trick. Maybe false pretenses?

#10 | Posted by censored at 2014-07-06 02:01 PM | Reply | Flag:

If it's fraud then the should arrest the lazy teahadists begging for quarters on the offramps.

#11 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2014-07-06 02:56 PM | Reply | Flag:

Maybe they just returned from Germany...
youtu.be

#12 | Posted by cbob at 2014-07-06 03:50 PM | Reply | Flag:

.... New Cons are Based on Old Cons!

**** Used to be a guy 20 years ago in Toronto who dressed up in red buddist garb and had a begging bowl.He looked authentic and very humble and he collected bowls full of coins...except that he wasn't a buddist...he was a junkie!

#13 | Posted by AntiCadillac at 2014-07-06 10:30 PM | Reply | Flag:

More Hare Krishna than Moonie.

#14 | Posted by kenx at 2014-07-06 11:28 PM | Reply | Flag:

Just some people who figured out that some people are suckers for a certain asthetic. I don't see a problem with it. The person who gives them money is getting what they want out of it.

#15 | Posted by Sully at 2014-07-07 09:24 AM | Reply | Flag:

#10 | Posted by censored

Yup...You just described most Religions...pretty much.

Life After Death. Best scam ever.

Send money now for the best seat in Heaven.

#16 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-07-07 12:38 PM | Reply | Flag:

These obviously unemployed folks, are not siting at home waiting for a handout. I would call them industrious entrepreneurs, and the folks who give them a few coins get to fell good about themselves. Charity benefits the giver MORE than the receiver.

(I would not give hem a plug nickel ..but that's just me)

#17 | Posted by SammyAZ_RI at 2014-07-07 12:48 PM | Reply | Flag: