Thursday, July 03, 2014

At least 44 children died in 2013 from heatstroke caused by being left in cars in the United States, according to national nonprofit organization KidsAndCars.org. At least 13 children have died this year for the same reason. "The pain -- it's not like a normal death in your family where you lose a child ... you get to grieve and move on," said Lyn Balfour, who nine years ago left her nine-month-old son Bryce in her car when she went to work, causing his death. "That pain is every day. It's always there. It never goes away."

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

KidsAndCars has tips on how to keep the unthinkable from happening. Place something you'll need, such as a cell phone, handbag or briefcase, near the child in the back seat. Keep a large stuffed animal in the child's car seat when it's not occupied.

When the child is in the car seat, put the stuffed animal in the front passenger seat to remind you that the child is in the back. Tell a child's day care center or babysitter that they will always be called if your child isn't coming in as scheduled. If the child is absent without an explanation, the day care center or babysitter is expected to contact a parent or another designated caregiver.

Comments

Ban cars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#1 | Posted by Sniper at 2014-07-03 12:16 PM | Reply | Flag:

#2 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2014-07-03 12:28 PM | Reply | Flag:

Ban cars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#1 | Posted by Sniper

I know you're just trying to be a smarta**, but it's amazing how much death and misery America is willing to tolerate just so you don't have to walk 3 blocks to the 7-11.

#3 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2014-07-03 12:30 PM | Reply | Flag:

tfd, not any smarter than the people that want to ban guns or drugs. It is about time people are responsible for their actions and not the things they use. Cars arn't responsible nor guns or drugs.None of thoes things can do anything by themselves.

#4 | Posted by Sniper at 2014-07-03 12:39 PM | Reply | Flag:

No cars and guns are responsible, but folks don't care if it doesn't affect them. I agree, freedom is dangerous. Life is cheap and easy.

#5 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2014-07-03 12:45 PM | Reply | Flag:

Drugs are a different story as they only affect the one taking them. No one ever got killed by an errant bong.

#6 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2014-07-03 12:46 PM | Reply | Flag:

#6 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2014-07-03 12:46 PM | Reply | Flag

Yeah why don't you ask all of the innocent people killed over a street corner in Chicago to sell crack. Or the people who have their home broke into to steal for the next hit. There is more to drug use than some smart@$$ poster talking about bong hits.

#7 | Posted by Dalton at 2014-07-03 01:19 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

"There is more to drug use than some smart@$$ poster talking about bong hits."

#7 | Posted by Dalton

Like making relatively harmless natural plants like Marijuana illegal because the pharmaceutical companies want to get rich on the backs of sick people.

#8 | Posted by Harry_Powell at 2014-07-03 01:21 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

#6 | Posted by TFDNihilist

Although people have gotten their face chewed off by bath crazed salts users...

#10 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2014-07-03 01:24 PM | Reply | Flag:

#8 | Posted by Harry_Powell at 2014-07-03 01:21 PM | Reply | Flag:

Where did I say that? You aren't very bright are you?

#11 | Posted by Dalton at 2014-07-03 01:27 PM | Reply | Flag:

#7 | Posted by Dalton

There is indeed much more. If they weren't illegal in the first place none of what you outlined would be happening. Regulate and Tax - did we not learn anything from Alcohol Prohibition?

#12 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2014-07-03 01:27 PM | Reply | Flag:

#7 | Posted by Dalton

That's not from the drug, that's from the drug being illegal.

#13 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2014-07-03 02:08 PM | Reply | Flag:

That's not from the drug, that's from the drug being illegal.

#13 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2014-07-03 02:08 PM | Reply | Flag

You want to make crack legal?

#14 | Posted by Dalton at 2014-07-03 02:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

#12 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2014-07-03 01:27 PM | Reply | Flag

How would you regulate and tax crack sales? I suppose you would want to put them into rehab once they become addicted? Have taxpayers pay for it?

#15 | Posted by Dalton at 2014-07-03 02:19 PM | Reply | Flag:

#15 | Posted by Dalton

Do I say make it legal? Sure. How do you regulate and tax sales? How about just like alcohol and tobacco? Do I want to encourage it's use? No... Do I want to discourage it's use? Yes... Do I think there shouldn't be laws regulating it still? No - there definitely needs to be laws around that.

Are Alcohol, Tobacco, Marijuana, Cocaine and X bad? Yes. That said there are MUCH worse drugs out there such as meth, bath salts and heroin. We are spending all this time energy and money chasing mainly weed, cocaine and x dealers and putting them in prison. We are ruining lives, making criminals rich, funding an underground economy based on drugs and in the process greatly damaging society over it.

People will ruin their lives regardless - just look around. I lead a somewhat sheltered life when I was younger. I was honestly shocked when I figured out just how many coke-heads there are out there. And Weed? LMAO - pretty much might as well be cigarettes. I mean functioning relatively normal people you would never suspect. The problem is that because it is illegal and therefore unregulated there is a LOT of money in it for organized crime. There for organized crime gets great power. I have seen first hand what happens when you provide a rich source of income for gangs and organized crime in general.

#16 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2014-07-03 02:38 PM | Reply | Flag:

Legalize crack and assign the addicts to some remedial job so they can pay for their habit.

Back on topic, if someone needs a stuffed animal to remind them they have a child then they shouldn't be allowed to have children. People who kill their children in a hot car should die the same way.

"... you get to grieve and move on"

Tell that to any parent who has had a "normal death in your family where you lose a child." What kind of retard says something like that? Oh yeah, the kind that kill their kids with stupidity.

#17 | Posted by wurster at 2014-07-03 02:47 PM | Reply | Flag:

I blame it on air-bags.

#18 | Posted by visitor_ at 2014-07-03 03:01 PM | Reply | Flag:

#5 | Posted by TFDNihilist

Rightttttttttttttttttttt.... that damn car just up and locked that kid in. You are funny.

#19 | Posted by Sniper at 2014-07-03 03:19 PM | Reply | Flag:

That's not from the drug, that's from the drug being illegal.

#13 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2014-07-03 02:08 PMFlag: (Choose)
FunnyNewsworthyOffensiveAbusiv
e

That's not from the drug, that's from the drug being illegal.

#13 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2014-07-03 02:08 PM | Reply | Flag

You want to make crack legal?

#14 | Posted by Dalton

Why not?

#20 | Posted by Sniper at 2014-07-03 03:21 PM | Reply | Flag:

Wurster - yes back on topic...

Sadly, I see how it can happen - I understand Lyn Balfour's case.

I am NOT a morning person. I NEVER have been. I am in a daze in the morning - on autopilot. If something throws me off my whole day is off - it just snowballs. I don't even function well until 10-11 AM. What I don't understand is why other people don't see the child... Or hear a crying child... Or report a kid in the car by itself... I mean it is possible but people come and go all day long from parking lots.

#21 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2014-07-03 03:21 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Where did I say that? You aren't very bright are you?"

#11 | Posted by Dalton

You're the dolt buddy. Don't sprain your pea brain.

#22 | Posted by Harry_Powell at 2014-07-03 03:30 PM | Reply | Flag:

Before air bags, you could put the kid in the front seat.

#23 | Posted by visitor_ at 2014-07-03 03:39 PM | Reply | Flag:

Children should be at home with their mothers.

#24 | Posted by FlyUntied at 2014-07-03 04:28 PM | Reply | Flag:

Anyhoo, latest baby-left-to-die-in-car story is alleged murder.

news.yahoo.com

#25 | Posted by kenx at 2014-07-03 04:36 PM | Reply | Flag:

I just don't get it. I never forgot my son anywhere, never. Now at 18 as hard as I try I can't shake him! :-)

#26 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2014-07-03 06:01 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

"Children should be at home with their mothers."

Nobody gonna take that bait, so i faux will. YOU SEXIST 19TH CENTURY CRETIN!!!

#27 | Posted by kenx at 2014-07-03 10:34 PM | Reply | Flag:

#26 ~ LiH

#28 | Posted by kenx at 2014-07-03 10:35 PM | Reply | Flag:

Serious question: Is it legal to break into someones car if they left a baby (or an animal) inside on a hot summer day?

#29 | Posted by mariosanchez at 2014-07-04 02:08 AM | Reply | Flag:

"Is it legal to break into someones car if they left a baby (or an animal) inside on a hot summer day?"

1) call 911

2) if the baby is in distress, break the windshield. if the baby is healthy looking, wait for the cops.

3) for an animal, animal control has to respond. you have to make the same judgment call, but a dog might attack you for breaking in, or thank you profusely. usually you can tell which.

#30 | Posted by kenx at 2014-07-04 03:11 AM | Reply | Flag:

#30 | Posted by kenx

I was more wondering if it was possible for a person to press charges if you did so to save a child or animal.

#31 | Posted by mariosanchez at 2014-07-04 04:19 AM | Reply | Flag:

Hey GALAXIEPETE, I've spent most of my life describing myself as "not a morning person." I was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea, did a sleep study, got a CPAP machine to aid in sleep, and now feel like a relatively normal "morning person" when I wake up. You might check with your doctor if you snore in your sleep.

#32 | Posted by DCTexan at 2014-07-04 09:37 AM | Reply | Flag:

#30 | POSTED BY KENX

Just an FYI: You'd never get through a windshield because of the way they're designed. You could hit it with a baseball bat and still wouldn't get through it.

Better to go through the side window. I keep one of these on my keychain as a "just in case".

www.youtube.com

#33 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-07-04 10:12 AM | Reply | Flag:

Yes, cars are dangerous in various ways. Yes, these people need to be ... um, punished. But the gun/car analogy is inane. Guns are made for killing; it is their primary purpose. Cars are made for transportation; it is their primary purpose. "Ban cars" is amusing (and predictable), but it's not on point. Defend gun ownership and access on their own merits, O Gun Lovers.

#34 | Posted by pragmatist at 2014-07-04 10:13 AM | Reply | Flag:

How many children were killed because they were riding in the front seat? Putting car seats in the back saves more lives, even if some babies are forgotten back there. The same with gun control. Less people would die from suicide and accidental shootings but more people would die because they couldn't defend themselves.

#35 | Posted by jdmeth at 2014-07-04 11:54 PM | Reply | Flag:

#35 | Posted by jdmeth

You make a powerfully moronic argument.

#36 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-07-05 12:01 AM | Reply | Flag:

"Guns are made for killing; it is their primary purpose. Cars are made for transportation; it is their primary purpose."
#34 | Posted by pragmatist

I won't argue those are the original intents of both.

That said, my skeet gun was no more made for killing than a Formula 1 car was made for transportation.

I wholly agree that cars, sticks, knives and secondhand smoke are just deflections whenever a gun debate comes up. As is the idea that leaving a 16 oz claw hammer lying around for a kid to find is no different than leaving a loaded Glock in the same condition.

I can't even comment on the concept of "forgetting" your kid was in the car.

#37 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-07-05 01:59 AM | Reply | Flag:

37: And that was my point. Thanks for reinforcing. (And btw, no one brings up Formula 1 race cars as a deflection, nor have I seen anyone point to skeet guns as problems. The gun control argument is generally about handguns, with "assault rifles" thrown in as a foolish part of the argument.)

#38 | Posted by pragmatist at 2014-07-05 09:44 AM | Reply | Flag: