Friday, July 04, 2014

Pew Research: Partisan polarization -- the vast and growing gap between Republicans and Democrats -- is a defining feature of politics today. But beyond the ideological wings, which make up a minority of the public, the political landscape includes a center that is large and diverse, unified by frustration with politics and little else. As a result, both parties face formidable challenges in reaching beyond their bases to appeal to the middle of the electorate and build sustainable coalitions. The latest Pew Research Center political typology, which sorts voters into cohesive groups based on their attitudes and values, provides a field guide for this constantly changing landscape. Before reading further, take our quiz to see where you fit in the typology.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

Corky

MORE STORIES

Comments

Your best fit is...

Solid Liberal
along with 15% of the public.

www.people-press.org

Surprise, surprise.

#1 | Posted by Corky at 2014-07-03 12:37 AM | Reply | Flag:

The new typology has eight groups: Three are strongly ideological, highly politically engaged and overwhelmingly partisan – two on the right and one on the left.

Steadfast Conservatives
Solid Liberals
Business Conservatives

Taken together, these three groups form the electoral base of the Democratic and Republican Parties, and their influence on American politics is strong. While Solid Liberals, Steadfast Conservatives and collectively make up only 36% of the American public, they represent 43% of registered voters and fully 57% of the more politically engaged segment of the American public: those who regularly vote and routinely follow government and public affairs.

Young Outsiders
Hard-Pressed Skeptics
The Next Generation Left
The Faith and Family Left
And finally, an eighth group, the Bystanders

Take the quiz, which are you?

#2 | Posted by Corky at 2014-07-03 12:41 AM | Reply | Flag:

I got Young Outsider.

...generally express unfavorable opinions of both major parties.

The quiz knows too much....

#3 | Posted by mariosanchez at 2014-07-03 12:57 AM | Reply | Flag:

Next generation left, along with 12%. There was a tiny smidge of blue to the left of me. Like comma size lol.

#4 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-07-03 01:59 AM | Reply | Flag:

Your best fit is...
Next Generation Left
along with 12% of the public.

Like the occasional horoscope, this one is rather accurate:

Generally young, well-educated and financially comfortable, the Next Generation Left have very liberal attitudes on many issues, including homosexuality, abortion, the environment and foreign policy. While overall supportive of an activist government, most are wary of expanding the social safety net. Most also have relatively positive views of Wall Street's impact on the economy. While most affiliate with the Democratic Party or lean Democratic, few consider themselves strong Democrats.

#5 | Posted by jpw at 2014-07-03 02:11 AM | Reply | Flag:

Your best fit is...

Solid Liberal
along with 15% of the public.

Damn cork.

I never would have described you as a partisan anchor.

#6 | Posted by jpw at 2014-07-03 02:13 AM | Reply | Flag:

You answered "This country should do whatever it takes to protect the environment," along with:

90% of my group (next gen left) answered this way.

Interestingly, 71% of the general public did as well. That's FAR higher than I ever hoped.

#7 | Posted by jpw at 2014-07-03 02:16 AM | Reply | Flag:

It definitely did not capture my view on Wall St accurately. I suspect because I was hesitant about regulation, since I believe the entire process is corrupted by money in politics, allowing larger businesses to regulate the smaller competition out of existence. Yet, still acknowledging the necessity of regulation. Just - we're doing it wrong.

#8 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-07-03 02:27 AM | Reply | Flag:

So there needs to be an initial choice of

"My answers are:

a. cynical and skeptical

b. idealistic and hopeful"

#9 | Posted by jpw at 2014-07-03 02:39 AM | Reply | Flag:

I got young outsider.

#10 | Posted by rearendhat at 2014-07-03 07:04 AM | Reply | Flag:

I was a hard pressed skeptic.

I think both parties have gone out of their way to screw things up. It's time for a new idea, because the old ones no longer work.

#11 | Posted by kudzu at 2014-07-03 07:58 AM | Reply | Flag:

I was way on the tailing left edge of Steadfast Conservative. I think I was one question away from Young Outsider.

#12 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2014-07-03 08:48 AM | Reply | Flag:

I got Hard Pressed Skeptic. But I read the description and it doesn't really fit that well.

#13 | Posted by schmanch at 2014-07-03 11:33 AM | Reply | Flag:

Your best fit is...
Solid Liberal
along with 15% of the public.

Didn't see that coming.

#14 | Posted by kanrei at 2014-07-03 11:37 AM | Reply | Flag:

The thing is I know my view only represents 15 percent, so I don't think the rest of the country should accept what I think, as most ideological purists seem to think.

A couple of the questions, which are necessarily dogmatic, I think, kept me in the Solid Liberal. I don't think ONLY believers can have good ethics and morals, nor that either government or business are completely corrupt, nor all the people that work in them.

#15 | Posted by Corky at 2014-07-03 12:35 PM | Reply | Flag:

These things are always fun. They just bug you that you have to choose one of two options of which neither are very close at all. I could honestly answer most questions either way.

But young outsider is what they called me.

#16 | Posted by salamandagator at 2014-07-03 05:07 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Solid liberal. The two answers where I was most different from other solid liberals was when I chose these:

"Most people who want to get ahead can make it if they're willing to work hard."

"Everyone has it in their own power to succeed."

I believe in a social safety net for the worst off, but I also think this is still a place where hard work and a college education can lift people out of poverty.

62% of the American public thinks homosexuality should be accepted by society. Hey, Huckabee, stick that in your Chick-fil-A sandwich and eat it!

#17 | Posted by rcade at 2014-07-03 05:57 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

Hard-pressed Skeptic.

#18 | Posted by madscientist at 2014-07-03 07:56 PM | Reply | Flag:

Your best fit is...Next Generation Left along with 12% of the public.

Unfortunately my answer to more than 1/2 of the questions,
would be C. None of the above

How can I be Next Generation, when I am older than dirt ???

#19 | Posted by SammyAZ_RI at 2014-07-03 09:31 PM | Reply | Flag:

#11 | Posted by kudzu at 2014

then is it safe to say that you disagree with mark halprin on morning joe this AM...

HE SAYS that Hillary's democrat competition who can beat her is some guy named.....

Al Gore......I spit out my cheerios....

#20 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2014-07-03 10:41 PM | Reply | Flag:

#16 | Posted by salamandagator

I had those same issues.

#21 | Posted by mariosanchez at 2014-07-03 10:44 PM | Reply | Flag:

solid liberal, but the dumbed down quiz lacks truthiness

#22 | Posted by nutcase at 2014-07-04 08:32 AM | Reply | Flag:

42% of American citizens self identify now as independents. They are sick & tired of the fake blue/red debate.

#23 | Posted by nutcase at 2014-07-04 08:47 AM | Reply | Flag:

"They are sick & tired of the fake blue/red debate."

If parties positions were set in stone I might agree but as with the Democrats in the sixties and the Republicans today, parties can be swung quite far from within. There was a time, not that long ago, that most black people identified as Republicans. Today very few do because the Democratic Party drastically changed its positions. Folks like you are too lazy to actually participate and try to change the direction of the party so you complain about the two party system. Tea Partiers, whom I don't agree with about much of anything, are not lazy and they have changed the Republican Party quite a bit (for the worse IMHO).

#24 | Posted by danni at 2014-07-04 10:11 AM | Reply | Flag:

"They are sick & tired of the fake blue/red debate."

#25 | Posted by danni at 2014-07-04 10:11 AM | Reply | Flag:

I guess you know how lazy I am.

What I'm saying is both parties create a fake dialogue based on the fake virtue of the people in power. Public debates step outside those bounds only with rare exception. When they do the mass media filters the dialogue and the vast majority of Americans are oblivious to how they are manipulated. This works because most people believe they themselves hold to these virtues and imagine their preferred leaders are like them.

#26 | Posted by nutcase at 2014-07-04 10:30 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

"This works because most people believe they themselves hold to these virtues and imagine their preferred leaders are like them."

No it works because people like you blog on your computer instead of actually getting involved. I am so tired of reading how the Democrats don't do this or don't do that coming from folks who don't participate. YOu don't like what the Democratic Party does then go to your local Democratic Party meetings, voice your disapproval. YOu might surprise yourself, others will probably agree with you. That's how things change. Otherwise, I just hear the complaints about the party as whining.
It has taken me a while to actually formulate my opinion about this because much of what you post is true but to condemn the party when you don't even bother to get involved seems sort of pathetic. I did and will again be working for the party in the upcoming elections, no I don't approve of everything the Democrats do or don't do but they sure as hell represent my values and issues better that the Republicans and the independents, by definition, stand for nothing.

#27 | Posted by danni at 2014-07-04 11:13 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 2

Mormons control the State I live in. Participation is futile. Better to snow ski and boat than waste more time trying to talk to them.

#28 | Posted by nutcase at 2014-07-05 10:24 AM | Reply | Flag:

I think the quiz is crap. There wasn't nearly enough room between some of the positions. It's to black and white.

#29 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2014-07-05 10:59 AM | Reply | Flag:

#1 | POSTED BY CORKY AT 2014-07-03 12:37 AM | REPLY | FLAG:HIGH FIVE

Solid Liberal here as well.

#29 | POSTED BY WHATSLEFT AT 2014-07-05 10:59 AM | REPLY | FLAG:NEEDS TO GET REAL

Life is black and white. Those grey areas the grey area people are so fond of are just a bunch of black and whites that gets diffused from lack of commitment. For the middle roaders it takes is one black or white to tip the scales in their land of grey one way or the other. In the mean time the middle people find comfort in the land of the non committal indecision. Mostly because they are afraid to be wrong.

The questions were intentional extreme sides and the challenge was which one closer represents your world view. You want an apple or an orange? You want sweet or salty? You want chocolate or vanilla?

If you were solid liberal it sound to me like you weren't afraid to commit one way or the other.

Personally I am of the opinion that majority of the ones moving to the middle and the libertarians who are "sick of the two party divisiveness" are really just a pack of former Bush voters who hate to admit they were incredibly stupid two times in a row.

#30 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2014-07-05 11:36 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

It's the unmoving black and white positions so many have taken that have made it so difficult to have any reasonable compromise, or even pragmatic discussion, about practically any current issue. I want more choices than chocolate or vanilla. Sometimes I want butterscotch.

Until people at the extremes are able to start working in the grey areas, little in this country is going to get solved or accomplished.

This quiz is just another POS adding to the division.

And I'm far from a Bush voter...

#31 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2014-07-05 01:54 PM | Reply | Flag:

#27 | POSTED BY DANNI
"...independents, by definition, stand for nothing."

That's a poor definition of "independent" you're using.
Independents stand for something beyond party, beyond ideology, but it's not "nothing".

We're the ones who decide nearly every election. We're the reason that primary candidates run to the left or right, and then run back toward the center in the general election.

See Whatsleft's #31.

#32 | Posted by TheTom at 2014-07-05 04:57 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

I'm next gen left? The left would consider me a far right wing gun nut, as I'm an NRA life member. Whatsleft is right. Life isn't black and white.

#33 | Posted by willowby at 2014-07-05 07:10 PM | Reply | Flag:

Partisan politics is a shell game that the fascsti employs to divert attention to its doings.

Popular discourse is a narrow set of red herrings designed for the above function.

#34 | Posted by Shawn at 2014-07-05 07:33 PM | Reply | Flag: