Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Nelson Ireson, Christian Science Monitor: It's official: the Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat is the most powerful production muscle car ever -- and even more powerful than the Viper supercar, with 707 horsepower and 650 pound-feet of torque on tap. The massive power output dwarfs even the previous ludicrous power title-holder, the 2013 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500, which rates 662 horses.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

Comments

Quick better limit gas tank capacity.

Mmmm, off topic.

#1 | Posted by salamandagator at 2014-07-02 10:24 PM | Reply | Flag:

And it's cleaner than your old slant six Valiant. Darn those environmentalists!

#2 | Posted by northguy3 at 2014-07-02 10:38 PM | Reply | Flag:

This looks like the car to buy if you're interested in dying in a car crash.

#3 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-07-02 10:50 PM | Reply | Flag:

I know that top speed is not the only concern, but I wonder what the speed governor, if any, is for this car. I had a friend (yeah, that's the ticket) who had a lame 200 hp sedan that still maxed out a 125 mph at only 3000 rpms before the engine would cut out.

#4 | Posted by censored at 2014-07-02 11:10 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Production Cars" are under powered, to make the maximum use of the fuel available. A car like this is nothing new, back in the 70s we were building 600 to 750 HP engines we stupidly drove on the streets.(fortunately engine blocks were cheep too). The muscle cars from the 60s could be had for a song. I did learn to pull a wrench back then, but mostly it was a waste of time and money. The engineering I am interested in is how did they get it past the EPA? The gas consumption/energy required to accelerate that fast is considerable.

#5 | Posted by docnjo at 2014-07-02 11:42 PM | Reply | Flag:

A Challenger with paddle shifters? Who'da thunk.

#6 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-07-02 11:56 PM | Reply | Flag:

Guess I'm old school as the only muscle car I owned was a '68 Olds 442. Great memories of days gone by.

#7 | Posted by MSgt at 2014-07-03 12:44 AM | Reply | Flag:

Definitely not for Prius Libruls...

#8 | Posted by Greatamerican at 2014-07-03 12:56 AM | Reply | Flag:

Great,can't wait to see the fail videos

#9 | Posted by bruceaz at 2014-07-03 12:58 AM | Reply | Flag:

Definitely not for Prius Libruls...

#8 | Posted by Greatamerican a

Or for men with normal-sized properl-functioning genitalia.

#10 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2014-07-03 01:11 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

Besides don't redblooded folks say foot pounds not pound feet.I know mathematicly it's the same but still.

#11 | Posted by bruceaz at 2014-07-03 01:16 AM | Reply | Flag:

And it's cleaner than your old slant six Valiant.

#2 | Posted by northguy3

That was my first car - '67 valiant with the slant six. Damn fine car. It was purple. I spent all the money i saved on speakers and weed.

#12 | Posted by kudzu at 2014-07-03 08:15 AM | Reply | Flag:

Not as boss as a HS classmate's Fury III police pursuit, with a 440 hemi. The others at my school would stop and watch as this beige beast rumbled into the parking lot. Even the boys who drove Trans Ams and Chevelle SS knew who their daddy was...

#13 | Posted by catdog at 2014-07-03 08:20 AM | Reply | Flag:

#7 Not a damn thing wrong with an Olds 442!
#10 Your fixation on male genitalia is unnerving.

My first car was a '73 Duster with the 318. Well used by the time I got it, but it got plenty more use once I did. Seems like my high school parking lot back then was nothing but muscle cars.

#14 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2014-07-03 08:26 AM | Reply | Flag:

Whatever the cost of this monster, the Americans always seem to compete on price to hp ratio. Remember the 1980's when a Z28 would leave a Mondial eating dust.

#15 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2014-07-03 09:22 AM | Reply | Flag:

#4 | Posted by censored

I think that depends on the suspension/tires package that you get. I have a little 2L pontiac that will go over 140. It did come with the Z rated tires.

#16 | Posted by Sniper at 2014-07-03 10:02 AM | Reply | Flag:

I'm surprised any of the libbies even believe this article.
It was written by the CSM!!! I've learned over the years here, that nothing they write about can be true.
Why the switch?

#17 | Posted by homerj at 2014-07-03 11:44 AM | Reply | Flag:

Don't mess with the General Lee!

YEEEEHAW! Let's go jump something!

#18 | Posted by kanrei at 2014-07-03 11:44 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

Doh! I failed Pop Culture today. The General Lee was a Charger, not a Challenger.

#19 | Posted by kanrei at 2014-07-03 11:47 AM | Reply | Flag:

Waiting to see the sticker... The numbers in the article don't tell the whole story, this car is a total beast. I know a bit more than what is in print.

I have been an adrenalin junkie and Mustang guy my entire life but I might have to sell the Cobra for one of these beasts. I just don't know how well I could make that beast handle.

#20 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2014-07-03 11:58 AM | Reply | Flag:

#20 You're making me blush.

#21 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2014-07-03 04:52 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 2

Galaxiepete,

What do you think of the KKR Cobra? And are they making Cobras anymore?

#22 | Posted by boaz at 2014-07-03 05:32 PM | Reply | Flag:

Ever hear of a stopped clock? Or a blind squirrel?

###
My first car was a '73 Duster with the 318.

Had a 70 with the slant six. Learned everything I needed to know about them when the muffler shop jacked up the back end and the doors wouldn't open. Cousin had a 360 which moved along very nicely.

Best thing about the Duster was the cheap --- floor vent system - 2 large doors you could hide beer behind. How cheap---- was the car? The windshield washer pump was a foot pump.

#23 | Posted by northguy3 at 2014-07-03 08:53 PM | Reply | Flag: