Drudge Retort: The Other Side of the News
Sunday, June 29, 2014

The potential first tropical storm of the 2014 season may be forming off the Atlantic coast of Florida. The chances of it developing in the next 48 hours are 40 percent, and the chances are 60 percent in the next five days. Weather Underground has the current models for its path, which range from Florida up to North Carolina. "With the disturbance parked over the warm waters of the Gulf Stream, organization into a tropical depression is a good possibility," writes meteorologist Jeff Masters. Lower than average storm activity is predicted for 2014.

Advertisement

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Advertisement

Subscriptions

Author Info

REDIAL

 

Advertisement

MORE STORIES

 

Advertisement

Comments

Admin's note: Participants in this discussion must follow the site's moderation policy. Profanity will be filtered. Abusive conduct is not allowed.

Hurricane season is already a month old. What you mean is "here comes the potential first named storm of this season".

#1 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2014-06-29 06:09 AM | Reply | Flag:

I mean there have not been any named storms in the Atlantic basin this year so far. One may be forming.

It's not complicated.

#2 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-06-29 10:38 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 2

Hurricanes can and do form before and after the 'season', although such are fairly rare. And various months in the 'season' are not even close to equal.

Around September is worst. I remember once a few years ago in the heavy season a near perfect line of weather formations stretching from Africa towards the Caribbean (not all those formations became hurricanes or entered the Caribbean, but the way they lined up that day was striking).

Also, keep in mind, how many storms make land fall is not a measure of how intense a given hurricane season is. The storms that never make landfall count just as much as the ones that do (although not for local rainfall).

Here is hoping the monster storms take their northern turns early and don't make land fall.

#3 | Posted by USAF242 at 2014-06-29 06:45 PM | Reply | Flag:

What I find interesting is how different the tracks are each season. I remember that year they came from off Arica one after the other. Last year most of them headed north into the Atlantic but some of them lasted for weeks.

#4 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-06-29 07:23 PM | Reply | Flag:

I wonder why you never see storms coming over California? That area could really use the rain..

#5 | Posted by boaz at 2014-06-30 09:20 AM | Reply | Flag:

A tourism nightmare as the July 4th weekend approaches.

#6 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2014-06-30 09:32 AM | Reply | Flag:

"I wonder why you never see storms coming over California?"

Water is a lot colder than the Atlantic side. Pacific storms tend to head west.

#7 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-06-30 09:36 AM | Reply | Flag:

I mean there have not been any named storms in the Atlantic basin this year so far. One may be forming.

It's not complicated.

#2 | Posted by REDIAL

You are right asce, It's not complicated. But......... that ain't what your headline said.

#8 | Posted by Sniper at 2014-06-30 09:43 AM | Reply | Flag:

"...that ain't what your headline said."

I was originally going to go with "A Low Pressure Area off the coast of South Carolina has the potential to become the First Named Storm of the month old 2014 Atlantic Hurricane Season", but it wouldn't fit.

#9 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-06-30 10:09 AM | Reply | Flag:

Given the climate change models being quoted for an uptick in hurricane numbers and intensity... It's a quiet season so far.

Granted this is just one season, last year was pretty quiet too though.

Given the chicken little routine that was being quoted, I'm not surprised it hasn't been mentioned again now that the time frames they were predicting for are coming around.

#10 | Posted by kwrx25 at 2014-06-30 03:39 PM | Reply | Flag:

Here comes no-bid construction contracts.

Golly, the weather is certainly capitalizing on that industry quite religiously.

Perhaps Ben Livingston isn't too far off when he claims the US can easily stop these hurricanes since the late 60's and simply REFUSES to..

#11 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2014-07-01 01:45 AM | Reply | Flag:

Disturbance has now become Tropical Depression One.

Looks like it will buzz the east coast and head out to the Atlantic.

#12 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-07-01 01:54 AM | Reply | Flag:

Miami hasn't been hit since Wilma. I've been here for 3 years. Where the hell are all these storms that they promised me?

#13 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2014-07-01 08:21 AM | Reply | Flag:

Crisisstills

Its random every year, and in more ways than one.

How many storms is SOMEWHAT predictable, but there is random factor.
How many of those storms ever make landfall is random. In theory the most extreme hurricane season could have zero landfall.
I've worked in Air Force Emergency Management in Florida. It is not unusual for a given piece of beach to go over a decade without a hit, but given time, you WILL get hit, eventually....

So...

Miami might go another decade plus without a hit, or could get several hits this year.

#14 | Posted by USAF242 at 2014-07-01 09:02 AM | Reply | Flag:

Advertisement

Post a comment

Comments are closed for this entry.

Home | Breaking News | Comments | User Blogs | Stats | Back Page | RSS Feed | RSS Spec | DMCA Compliance | Privacy | Copyright 2014 World Readable

 

Advertisement

Drudge Retort