Here we go again. The interesting thing in these 'discussions' is that each side, when it needs a story, finds the most sympathetic 'victim' even though their story is anything but typical. The couple in this story is 180 degrees from the average person who goes to an abortion clinic. I don't think proponents of abortion could argue as effectively if the subject of the article was a single woman who was going to have her third abortion in the last 8 months.
That gets us closer to what the debate is actually about. Folks on both sides are often guilty of harassment. Those who provide abortions are known to withhold information that might lead a woman to choose to carry to term. This may not be as blatant or loud, but it is just as egregious.
There are three issues in my mind in the abortion question. Let's start with the person/not a person debate. Like global warming, the science is settled. Unfortunately, each side will try to convince you that it is settled in their favor. The only thing that is truly settled and can't be disputed is that it is a living organism that will develop into a human being if left to. To me, that gives a benefit of any doubt to that living being. The argument might be that the woman is already a human being and her rights should supersede. The fact that the woman had numerous chances to avoid becoming pregnant negates her position, I believe.
That brings up point two. Proponents of abortion love to attribute all kinds of ideas to those who disagree with them. One of their favorites is that opponents of abortion are 'against contraception'. I know lots of abortion opponents and only a tiny fringe are against the use of contraception. There are more who would not like their preteen children to be instructed on the use of contraception in school, but that is a different issue. It is mostly moot, though, as those women who become pregnant and abort are most certainly not against contraception since they have no problem using its most extreme form. It's a straw man. Just like the idea that abortion opponents 'don't care' about those children who are born. Easy accusation, but blatantly false. The number of individuals, groups and organizations (both religious and secular) who work to make the lives of unwanted/disadvantaged children better is massive if you care to look for them.
Finally, there is the whole 'anti-choice' screed. I honestly don't know anyone who is anti choice. the disconnect is between those who believe that a woman should exercise her right to choose on the way into the bedroom and those who think it's ok to wait till she is on the way out.
Rights and responsibilities... My biggest problem with the supporters of abortion is that they seem to imply that there are no hard questions involved. Is it really ok to not make any effort to avoid pregnancy and then simply abort for no other reason than convenience? We are aborting thousands of (whatever you want to call them) every day in this country. This is after we were assured that if we would just allow legal abortions they would be safe and rare.
From my side, I recognize the hard questions. There are instances of rape, ------ and life threatening situations. There are also situations like the one described in the article. Unfortunately, all of those situations account for, by even the most liberal of estimates, no more than 15% of the abortions now performed in the US. I am willing to compromise and give you those 15% if you stop the other 85% that occur largely due to the irresponsibility of people who just want to pursue their own pleasure and damn the consequences.