Saturday, June 28, 2014

A McDonald's employee brutally punched and kicked a former coworker in front of the woman's two-year-old son in Salem, New Jersey, as onlookers filmed the incident -- and the only one who intervened to stop the attack was the young boy. Victim Catherine Ferreira, 27, suffered a broken nose and mild concussion. Police are looking to file assault and threat charges against Latia Harris, 25, who hasn't shown up to work since the incident. Ferreira said of her heroic son, "He wasn't afraid, he just wanted to defend his mom. That's my world right there, I love that boy so much."

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rerun2

MORE STORIES

People with children watch a woman hitting a mother in front the mothers small child while the poor 2 YO tries to defend her from the giant woman. Meanwhile the crowed doesn't even say a word about stomping her. Rather they say ooooo with approval. And that thing about the attacker's job? Well if she'd do that to a mom in front of her kid -- she's not someone anyone I know would want as an employee.

Comments

Where was CCL?

#1 | Posted by Zed at 2014-06-27 07:27 AM | Reply | Flag:

I hope charges have been filed.

#2 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2014-06-27 08:13 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

Where was CCL?

#1 | POSTED BY ZED AT 2014-06-27 07:27 AM

#3 | Posted by LIVE_OR_DIE at 2014-06-27 01:42 PM | Reply | Flag:

How can people watch all of this happen and not even try to intervene?

#4 | Posted by JeffJ at 2014-06-27 02:05 PM | Reply | Flag:

Sad commentary. It's stuff like this that reaffirms my choice to be a CCP

#5 | Posted by paneocon at 2014-06-27 02:13 PM | Reply | Flag:

Here's an English news report of the story...

NJ MOM BRUTALLY BEATEN IN FRONT OF 2-YEAR-OLD SON

abc13.com

with pics

"Harris has not shown up for work since the incident and is still at large.

Once she is taken into custody, police say she faces two counts of aggravated assault and two counts of making terroristic threats.

Anyone with information on her whereabouts is urged to contact Salem Police at 856-935-0057."

#6 | Posted by Corky at 2014-06-27 02:14 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Harris has not shown up for work since the incident and is still at large."

Someone is obviously now not very proud of her actions. Time to lawyer up. I am afraid that McDonalds job is not going get her a very good one.

#7 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-06-27 05:14 PM | Reply | Flag:

How can people watch all of this happen and not even try to intervene?

#4 | Posted by JeffJ at 2014-06-27 02:05 PM | Reply | Flag:

Really? Did you watch the clip, it's pretty self evident why no one intervened.

rwd

#8 | Posted by rightwingdon at 2014-06-27 06:50 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

The 2 year old intervened. Made her take a look at herself - after threatening to slap down the child she seems to have realized how messed up she really was.

BTW, I believe everyone who was there should be charged as an accomplice. Laughing while not expressing concern over the crime is beyond cowardly - its encouraging the beat down. And worse, they're instigating racial violence and hate. Those are "hate crimes".

#9 | Posted by rerun2 at 2014-06-27 08:04 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 2

Something that is never mentioned is that this was not a random attack or a mugging, it was a personal feud between two acquaintances. If you were at a party and 2 of your friends started fighting, would you intervene immediately or get the police involved?

#10 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2014-06-27 08:15 PM | Reply | Flag:

TFD a beat down like that heck yeah I would intervene or call the cops. 2 friends arguing is one thing this was a straight up beat down. What are the odds that every one of those bystanders knew the history and knew it was a personal issue? That was a public place if you just walked up on a woman beating the crap out of the other would you video or say something.

#11 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2014-06-27 08:41 PM | Reply | Flag:

After viewing this video (and me, growing up in a white southern family) there are numerous prejudice things I want to comment on........but I'm going to be gracious and civil( sorry,that's the southern culture that was instilled in me) and bite my tongue!

#12 | Posted by shane at 2014-06-27 09:26 PM | Reply | Flag:

#13 for all it takes for evil to flourish is good men to do/say nothing.

#14 | Posted by rerun2 at 2014-06-27 09:59 PM | Reply | Flag:

Where was CCL?

#1 | POSTED BY ZED AT 2014-06-27 07:27 AM

#3 | Posted by LIVE_OR_DIE at 2014-06-27 01:42 PMFlag: (Choose)
FunnyNewsworthyOffensiveAbusiv
e

Perhaps she should have had. My remark was pointed at something more interesting. If anyone else had a gun in that group, it wasn't produced to protect her.

I guess we'll never know, just as in numerous greater crimes, how many armed people there were just hanging about.......Minding their own business.

#15 | Posted by Zed at 2014-06-28 08:58 AM | Reply | Flag:

That child is a racist and will be charged with a hate crime.

#16 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2014-06-28 09:56 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

A lot of people trying to make this a racial issue where the article provides strong evidence that it was a personal issue.

It's the same crew that refuses to admit it when a racially motivated crime actually does occur.

I don't get it.

#19 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-06-28 06:41 PM | Reply | Flag:

#18 | POSTED BY BOAZ

I may be mis-reading your statement but I can't accept that blacks or any other ethnic group are any more likely to be violent, any more than I can't accept that red necks are predisposed to chew tobacco or live in trailers. These are learned or environment induced behaviors not genetic predispositions.

#20 | Posted by paneocon at 2014-06-28 08:27 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 2

For the incident itself, pretty open and shut. A beat down instigated by a thug.

But for background,..... the perp and victim knew each other, and we only have half the story.

'Legally' this absolutely is bad for the perp. And it is 'probably' just simple thuggery all round, background and all.

'Probably' not a hate crime. Need more motive info to know.

#22 | Posted by USAF242 at 2014-06-28 09:44 PM | Reply | Flag:

Anyone laughing at the assault should indeed be charged with a crime.

#23 | Posted by Tor at 2014-06-28 10:00 PM | Reply | Flag:

Some of you folks are like Pavlov's dog when a video shows a black person behaving badly. It's always about race to you. The facts don't even matter.

The woman was attacked because she talked about the attacker's romance with her supervisor. The victim even admitted doing that. It was an ugly incident and I hope the attacker is convicted and gets jail time for what she did. But it wasn't about race.

As for the bystanders, the video shows an attack lasting around 40 seconds. Somebody should have helped, but people who help in any violent situation are rare. Most of us think we'd be heroes from the comfort of our keyboards, but until we're tested we don't know.

And sometimes when you do intervene, you end up regretting it, like the CCW holder killed in the Arizona Wal-Mart by the husband/wife shooters.

#24 | Posted by rcade at 2014-06-28 10:08 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 2

25 | Posted by 101Chairborne

It doesn't take much to be called a race-baiter in this forum. Often, just mentioning that there are racists, and they still live and function somewhere, does it for you.

Interestingly, calling a few score thousand Blacks in Mississippi "Uncle Toms" on national right-wing radio raises hardly an eyebrow from many complaining of race-baiting here.

#26 | Posted by Zed at 2014-06-29 12:55 PM | Reply | Flag:

#24 | Posted by rcade at 2014-06-28 10:08 PMFlag: (Choose)
FunnyNewsworthyOffensiveAbusiv
e | Newsworthy 1

Its because of this that I've always doubted one leg of the CCL argument. Most of the armed will run from a threat, some of them beating the unarmed to the door.

#27 | Posted by Zed at 2014-06-29 12:56 PM | Reply | Flag:

Posted by rcade

40 seconds is not very long but I bet it felt like forever to the woman being beaten.

But, when someone DOES have the skill set and DOES intervene successfully it can be soooo fricken AWESOME.

If you haven't seen this video you gotta see it. Gives you faith in humanity again. I might even start liking WWE. I sure have a whole new respect.

www.tmz.com

I still hope I can do something as awesome when the time comes or at least I hope I try.

I did help tackle a drug-crazed man once who was walking down the middle of the street in our home town throwing rocks at the windshields of passing cars. He had hit about 4-5 five cars when I arrived on scene. I had help as about 5 of us pissed off drivers chased him down and tackled him and sat on him until police arrived. No one was even hurt. Even the crazy guy was basically unharmed. Just a few cracked windshields.

sorry no pics.

Can I get a big OORAH?

Semper Fi

#28 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-06-29 03:28 PM | Reply | Flag:

Can non-Marines oohrah?

Yep. I can't find the video, but there was an older man in Britain who didn't like some young toughs harassing and punching people. One of them turns his head and walks right into a massive punch by the old guy.

One of the things about people who do intervene is that it can get them sued or criminally charged, if things go especially wonky.

#29 | Posted by rcade at 2014-06-29 05:31 PM | Reply | Flag:

Where was CCL? POSTED BY ZED
Agreed, she should have had some way to defend herself and her child from that attacker. Posted by LIVE_OR_DIE at

If these women had been armed, both of them and the child could have been killed. It's good that NO GUNS were involved IMHO

#30 | Posted by SammyAZ_RI at 2014-06-29 09:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

Can non-Marines oohrah?

You too can say OORAH!

As long you do it in a manly way.

...

#29 | Posted by rcade

it's true. The good Samaritan Law does not really apply to intervening in violent situations like this.

But, I do feel we still have a strong duty to come to the rescue of someone in peril. In this case I think the only thing that could have been done (as time to react was short) would have been to tackle the women on top and hold her down until authorities arrived to sort it out. It made me think of the crazy man walking down the center of the street throwing rocks.

Not sure I would have done it in this case, as you said, we never know until we are tested. But, I hope that I would. Maybe others will too now (if they are physically capable). Especially after having seen this video and thinking about it.

#31 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-06-30 08:17 PM | Reply | Flag: