Thursday, June 26, 2014

A Casselberry, Florida, mother was arrested on allegations of refusing to take her newborn, diagnosed by a doctor as dehydrated, to a hospital because of her staunch vegan stance. Sarah Anne Markham was arrested Tuesday on a charge of child neglect. According to police, a pediatrician told Markham that her baby needed to be admitted to Florida Hospital South for treatment because the child was dehydrated and was losing weight. Markham told them that she wanted to pursue a religious-based treatment and did not believe that her baby was dehydrated because the child was having bowel movements.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

Comments

I really wish those trying to Darwinize themselves from the gene pool would actually start with themselves and not their children, who might have missed their particular generic combination of stupid.

#1 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-06-26 04:49 PM | Reply | Flag:

Genetic.

#2 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-06-26 04:50 PM | Reply | Flag:

I know a few vegans, none are against drinking water, a terrific cure for dehydration.

But she.......

It's was raining from the first
And I was dying there of thirst
So I came in here
And your long-time curse hurts
But what's worse
Is this pain in here
I can't stay in here
Ain't it clear that.

I just can't fit
Yes, I believe it's time for us to quit
When we meet again
Introduced as friends
Please don't let on that you knew me when
I was hungry and it was your world
Ah, you fake just like a woman, yes you do
You make love just like a woman, yes you do
Then you ache just like a woman
But you break just like a little girl.

(Dylan)

#3 | Posted by nutcase at 2014-06-26 05:42 PM | Reply | Flag:

I find her lack of maternal instincts disturbing.

I hope it's not genetic.

#4 | Posted by Tor at 2014-06-26 05:43 PM | Reply | Flag:

I read an article a few years back in a medical magazine about how it's not practically possible to have a healthy baby while being a vegan. It was written by a lady who was a vegan and had come off that diet while she was pregnant and nursing. The main thing I remember was about how much cholesterol, fat, protein, etc. was needed to grow a healthy baby. I found it very interesting because of the author. I wish I could find a copy of it...

#5 | Posted by LEgregius at 2014-06-26 05:43 PM | Reply | Flag:

I'm completely cool with Vegetarians. They have their own views about their own diets, and it is not place to question that.

Vegans can burn in hell.

Vegetarians prefer to eat vegetable.
Vegans insist YOU eat vegetables.

If at ANY point a diet fetish person suggest, even SLIGHTLY, that there is some moral imperative that others adopt the weird diet, the diet weirdo should be kicked until he stops being stupid or starts being dead.
(Note: This has nothing to do with faith based diets that don't try and force their diets on others. Jews don't go for bacon, but they don't have a problem with ME eating bacon).

#6 | Posted by USAF242 at 2014-06-26 05:57 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

"Markham told them that she wanted to pursue a religious-based treatment"

The people who support Hobby Lobby should be outraged by her arrest.

#7 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-06-26 05:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

One of the best people I know stopped being vegan the moment she learned she was pregnant and went back to it soon as she was done nursing.

#8 | Posted by Tor at 2014-06-26 06:06 PM | Reply | Flag:

Mmmmmm bacon...

#9 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2014-06-26 06:22 PM | Reply | Flag:

Let me guess. Hmmm she couldn't breast feed because it would be animal products! Oh, maybe she isn't a Vegan and was waiting for it to die so she could cook it and eat it!

#10 | Posted by parjosg2 at 2014-06-26 07:29 PM | Reply | Flag:

A vegetarian can legitimately change to a normal diet for any reason, pregnancy or otherwise.

A vegan cannot do that. (They can change to a normal diet, but not legitimately).
The whole 'meat is murder' concept does not really stand up if you add 'except when I have a medical reason to think its not murder....' (although truth told, the whole 'meat is murder' concept does not stand up at all....).

I suspect the folks here mentioning women who ate appropriately when with child are talking about vegetarians, and NOT vegans.

Vegetarians might be little weird, but its their own business what their diet is.

No hell to deep for vegans.

#11 | Posted by USAF242 at 2014-06-26 08:36 PM | Reply | Flag:

I've attempted vegetarianism myself a time or two out of deep disgust at how animals are treated in factory farm conditions, but found it extremely difficult to follow what I consider an ideal high protein, high fat, and high green leafy vegetables diet, at least without resorting to large amounts of wheat and soy. My eventual shift has been to switch to grass fed and free range animals that led a good life before hopefully humanely becoming food in the natural order of things. While still basing diet on mostly plants.

That was my answer, though I fully respect the convictions of vegetarians who make similar choices for similar reasons. Vegans drive me nuts though. If you won't eat honey because it's abusive to bees, I'm pretty sure you've gone over the edge though. And then they get preachy about it.

#12 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2014-06-26 09:26 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Vegans insist YOU eat vegetables."

I've known vegans who were not at all pushy about it. They hung out with us omnivores but simply chose to pass whenever the meat dishes came around. Just like with any group of people who follow a specific lifestyle you'll find zealots who give people a bad impression.

#13 | Posted by sentinel at 2014-06-26 10:20 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

You know how you can tell someone is a vegan?

They ---- tell you.

#14 | Posted by klifferd at 2014-06-26 10:30 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 4

Its one thing to choose one of these diets knowing full well that human beings are naturally omnivorous and that what you're doing may have consequences.

Its another thing entirely to believe that everything we know about human evolution is wrong, that modern medicine is wrong and that you and some third rate guru who is illegally practicing medicine have all the answers.

If you fall into the latter category, you are unqualified to care for a child of any age, let alone an infant.

#15 | Posted by Sully at 2014-06-27 10:07 AM | Reply | Flag:

If we were meant to eat nothing but veggies, why have we evolved these front teeth that function to hold and tear meat rather than a mouthful of plant grinding molars? We didn't get here on a plant-only diet and can't maintain on a plant-only diet without supplements(B12 for starters) that can only be found in animal products. If you're being vegan and living on the supplements, you're lying to your body.

All that said, do we, as a culture, eat too much meat? Hell, yes. Should we be more mindful of how that meat is raised, slaughtered and processed? Hell, yes. But, life without barbecue is not worth living.

#16 | Posted by morris at 2014-06-27 10:11 AM | Reply | Flag:

Being vegan is not a belief system, its simply a more narrow form of vegetarianism. Vegan means you dont eat any animal products, this includes butter, milk, eggs and cheese. Vegetarians dont eat meat, but they may eat eggs, cheese etc lacto/ovo vegetarians. There are pesce vegetarians that eat fish. I adopted a vegan lifestyle after a heart attack and quadruple bypass at 41 because I had a genetic high cholesterol issue and wanted to everything I could to bring it down. I remained vegan for about 2 years but found that it was very difficult to maintain, forget about eating out. I once explained to a waitress that I was vegan and she told me that "there is nothing on the menu that you could eat" I eventually started eating fish and after several years now will eat turkey and chicken. Still no red meat after 13 years.

I dont ever remember being preachy about being vegan and did not talk about it unless asked. I think your experiences with vegans are due to the fact that vegans are usually much more dedicated to their beliefs as maintaining that lifestyle requires a certain level of commitment.

I think there are probably a lot of people these days that proclaim veganism because its trendy. Probably less people that are vegan because of animal cruelty concerns but most vegans probably because of health issues like myself.

#17 | Posted by hamsterpants at 2014-06-27 10:35 AM | Reply | Flag:

There are more similarities than differences in the cellular structure of plants than animals. Plants are living organisms. How vegans can justify their diet as a means of not killing is ludicrous.

Two facts of life are:
Everything living needs water to survive.
The death of one thing makes the life of another possible.

Furthermore...
If one living thing is consuming something to sustain its own life, you can be assured what they are eating is dead or dying.

Everything alive will die.

Everything that is dead (or dying) is being consumed by something living.

One exception to this is mummification. when a situation arises and water is removed from the dead organism before a living organism can consume it.

Sounds like the parent is mummifying her infant.

Good way to keep the child's cellular structure intact indefinitely and in a few years she can go outside an play catch with it.

#18 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2014-06-27 12:26 PM | Reply | Flag:

If man could sustain himself by eating grass, then humanity would have evolved in such a way that it would taste good.

Idiots.

#19 | Posted by Shawn at 2014-06-27 01:51 PM | Reply | Flag:

Plants actually do talk to eachother and can communicate through very complex mechanisms.... almost like slaughtering veal... completely helpless. Remind vegans when they rant.

#20 | Posted by monkeylogic42 at 2014-06-27 04:34 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Everything alive will die.
Everything that is dead (or dying) is being consumed by something living."

Valar morghulis.

#21 | Posted by sentinel at 2014-06-27 05:27 PM | Reply | Flag:

Some vegans may be sane but I have yet to meet one. If you think vegans are preachy try being a vegetarian and dealing with them. They figure that if you are vegetarian you are half way to vegan already and preach twice as hard.

Funniest thing was when I was in west TX for a friends wedding one of his other friends a vegan came too. While we were there at a dinner someone heard him tell the waitress he was a vegan, turns out this other guy was a vegan too. I got to watch two vegans try and out vegan each other. Probably the only two vegans in west TX and they argue with each other.

I am not clear on why this lady had an issue with a hospital as a vegan though.

#22 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2014-06-27 05:43 PM | Reply | Flag:

#6 | Posted by USAF242

#11 | Posted by USAF242

Oh, blow it out yer shorts, Mr Tolerance.

Meatans can be real ------, too.

See: Ted Nugent and his ilk.

#23 | Posted by Dave at 2014-06-28 01:08 PM | Reply | Flag:

While I LOVE a good Vegan-bash, this story ain't it. This is another religious freak who misunderstands the central theme of their faith: life is good and worth protecting.

#24 | Posted by kanrei at 2014-06-28 01:10 PM | Reply | Flag:

Meatans can be real ------, too.
See: Ted Nugent and his ilk.

He isn't a "meatan" so much as some ------- with a gun who like to make things bleed. If plants had blood, he would be a vegan as plants are easier to kill and this guy wants easy prey.

Be a real hunter and use what those you hunt are using.

#25 | Posted by kanrei at 2014-06-28 01:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

Be a real hunter and use what those you hunt are using.

#25 | POSTED BY KANREI AT 2014-06-28 01:18 PM | REPLY | FLAG:

I'll be sure to tell the next wolf I see take a deer down with his fangs and claws he is not a "real" hunter. I'll be sure to tell the Arrowfish not to shoot things while I'm at it. I'll let the otters know as well.

Get over it. Everything that ever has or ever will live exploits every advantage it can get. Guns, infrared cameras and motion detectors are as "natural" as any other method of hunting. Mankind is part of nature and everything it does to exploit it's advantages is 100% natural.

#26 | Posted by soheifox at 2014-06-28 03:37 PM | Reply | Flag:

Heck, we're so good at hunting we've even learned herding and slaughter... just like ants and bees.

#27 | Posted by soheifox at 2014-06-28 03:37 PM | Reply | Flag: