Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Kristin Moe, Christian Science Monitor: These are Pedro Rodriguez's chickens, in alphabetical order: Bella, Blanche, Dominique, Flo, Flossie, Lucy, Pauline, Una, and Victoria. Their coop occupies one corner of a vacant-lot-turned-garden in Camden, New Jersey. It

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

Comments

Isn't it clear that community gardens can only help a community?

Assuming that it's not build on say a former toxic waste dump why not let them engage in LIGHT agriculture?

#1 | Posted by Tor at 2014-06-25 01:52 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

#1 Totally agree. Not only do you get the benefits of the nutrition and build a community, you gain a sense of satisfaction in having created something with your own two hands. My wife is a master gardener and we grow WAY to much in our garden (50+ tomato plants!), most of which is dropped off in bushel baskets at the local church when things really get productive, but she really grows plants just to watch them grow.

#2 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2014-06-25 02:16 PM | Reply | Flag:

@ MUSTANG

Your wife will love this:

A local woman has grow to old to manage her large vegetable garden but rather than let it go to waste she's decided to let the interfaith food bank reap and sow as they wish so long as she lives and can watch them. :)

#3 | Posted by Tor at 2014-06-25 02:29 PM | Reply | Flag:

#3 That's awesome. I've often wondered what the impact would be of having every church in America dedicate a tenth of their property to the growing of a garden to feed the hungry. Teach gardening to the kiddos after Sunday School...parishoners would tend the garden...seems like a win/win.

#4 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2014-06-25 02:45 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

I'm not sure if all denominations could do that Mustang but I like the idea just the same. :)

#5 | Posted by Tor at 2014-06-25 03:41 PM | Reply | Flag:

#4 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2014-06-25 02:45 PM | Reply | Flag:

I've often wondered why some churches send their people to places like India for a month to care for the poor there when we have so many needy people at home. I have my theories but they aren't nice so I'll keep them to myself.

#6 | Posted by sully at 2014-06-25 04:06 PM | Reply | Flag:

Sully things are FAR worse in India than they are here in America.

#7 | Posted by Tor at 2014-06-25 04:16 PM | Reply | Flag:

Sully things are FAR worse in India than they are here in America.

And yet, India can somehow afford nuclear arms and a modern military.

Priorities....

#8 | Posted by northguy3 at 2014-06-25 06:15 PM | Reply | Flag:

#2 Mustang, we are the same way but my wife cut back and went to 70 tomato plants. She does make 50 jars of sauce for the year which is nice. Tip if you don't already know, I put grass clippings around each plant and it keeps out the weeds and the plants thrive from it.

#9 | Posted by fishpaw at 2014-06-26 03:39 PM | Reply | Flag:

#9 We have a pretty good compost that they're planted in, and 4 piles going, but I'll try the clippings!

#10 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2014-06-26 04:17 PM | Reply | Flag: