Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Uruguay striker Luis Suarez bit Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini during their World Cup match Tuesday, the third time in his career he's clamped down his massive choppers on an opponent during a match. A minute after the incident, Uruguay's Diego Godin headed a corner kick into the net for a 1-0 victory, sending his team into the round of 16 and knocking out Italy.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

Comments

A Mike Tyson moment?

#1 | Posted by bogey1355 at 2014-06-24 03:06 PM | Reply | Flag:

90+ minutes of running back and forth and bad acting.

Hard not to see why it's only widely popular in the US every 4 years.

Respect the hell out of their conditioning, but I don't find it very exciting to watch.

#2 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-06-24 03:19 PM | Reply | Flag:

#3 | Posted by rcade at 2014-06-24 03:19 PM | Reply | Flag:

#4 | Posted by rcade at 2014-06-24 03:21 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

#4 | POSTED BY RCADE

I had heard it was 11 million. Regardless, awesome game and a lot of fun to watch. I didn't think the U.S. was going to be able to pressure as much as they did on offense. They had so many opportunities in the first half, I was beside myself with excitement.

Easily the most exciting soccer game I've ever watched. Each of those two U.S. goals were exhilarating moments when shared with a large group of people. We were screaming like crazy!

#5 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-06-24 03:26 PM | Reply | Flag:

#3 | POSTED BY RCADE

I agree, he will probably be suspended. And don't call me Surely.

#6 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-06-24 03:27 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

"You're missing out. It's a great sport. 25 million people in the U.S. watched our match against Portugal."

Kind of like the Olympic ice skating. Nobody cares except once every 4 years.

#7 | Posted by bogey1355 at 2014-06-24 03:29 PM | Reply | Flag:

#4 | POSTED BY RCADE

I've watched a few, just doesn't really hold my attention. The fact that 25 million in the US watched doesn't really matter to me much, not a "bandwagon" kinda guy.

To be honest, not much into watching most sports and only occasionally watch football (US football).

Enjoy playing them, but mostly play a lot of paintball (woods ball, not speed ball).

#8 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-06-24 03:37 PM | Reply | Flag:

I watched the Americans Sunday night but, I don't care about soccer or the world cup. I can't watch the other teams. Just not into it. Now Thursday is different. I'm pumped about that game b/c it's a excuse to day drink!

#9 | Posted by Dalton at 2014-06-24 03:38 PM | Reply | Flag:

#9 | POSTED BY DALTON

HAHA! An excuse to drink beer in the morning, where I'm located. I'll actually be teaching a bunch of teenaged soccer nuts, so I will most likely have to lure them to class with the promise that I will have the live feed on the SmartBoard. Otherwise, I doubt any of them will show up!

#10 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-06-24 03:41 PM | Reply | Flag:

The analogy with Tyson is apt. Suarez is unbelievably talented. He is also an immature, self-entitled arrogant jerk.

#11 | Posted by moder8 at 2014-06-24 03:59 PM | Reply | Flag:

"sending his team into the round of 16 and knocking out Italy."

Despite being partially of Italian heritage, I enjoyed this news. Too many Italian-Americans around here rooting for Italy. As if real Italians want anything to do with these mooks. One of my more obnoxious friends makes a big deal about the Italy games while proudly declaring that he won't even watch the US games.

Now they can all go dry their tears on their tomato stained wife beaters while cramming canolis down their throat in despair.*

*I'm mostly kidding

#12 | Posted by Sully at 2014-06-24 04:06 PM | Reply | Flag:

Rsty, I coached my teen daughters team for a few years. I know it's not even close just pointing out soccer is much better live. I loved coaching them b/c of the strategy of match ups and that you can't sub anytime you want. Plus it was fun watching girls get in and mix it up trying to steal the ball.

#13 | Posted by Dalton at 2014-06-24 04:08 PM | Reply | Flag:

I watched the US game against Portugal and it was pretty exciting.

I just can't stand the way a player barely gets touched, writhes around on the ground like he just got shot and then jumps up one minute later and is completely fine. It makes the game almost unwatchable.

#14 | Posted by JeffJ at 2014-06-24 04:20 PM | Reply | Flag:

#11 | Posted by moder8

^
I'm just repeating this because it's so very true.
At bare minimum he deserves a red card, but he should be sent home.
Of course, if he goes, so go Uruguay's hopes.
The refs need more eyes on the game.
Particularly tough for Italy as they were playing a man down after one of theirs was caught on a foul perhaps less egregious than what Suarez got away with.

#15 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-06-24 04:25 PM | Reply | Flag:

Watching Mitt Scissorhands Romney's horse dance is more exciting than fake-football. IMHO

#16 | Posted by SammyAZ_RI at 2014-06-24 04:26 PM | Reply | Flag:

#14 | Posted by JeffJ at 2014-06-24 04:20 PM | Reply | Flag:

People underestimate how annoying that is to US fans.

I love how a guy will writhe around until they literally bring out the stretcher, writhe around some more and then get up like "Well I thought I needed a stretcher but I'm actually going to run non-stop for the next 60 minutes instead....". Ridiculous.

And when they're faking they all a) grab the same spot right under the knee and b) do an extra roll or two when they fall down as if injuries cause people to roll around. It isn't just that they fake all the time but they suck at it too.

#17 | Posted by Sully at 2014-06-24 04:36 PM | Reply | Flag:

People underestimate how annoying that is to US fans.

#18 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-06-24 04:40 PM | Reply | Flag:

Kind of like the Olympic ice skating. Nobody cares except once every 4 years.

You're wrong on this. There are enough soccer fans in the U.S. now that NBC paid $250 million for the right to broadcast England's Premier League for three years. The Champions League, MLS, Women's World Cup, Euro 2016 and Spanish and French leagues also are followed here on TV.

Your perception that soccer isn't popular here is out of date. The sport is booming here, both on English-language and Spanish-language TV.

(For people who do watch, NBC Sports does a great job on the Premier League. Every game is available on an NBC network or online at nbcsports.com.)

#19 | Posted by rcade at 2014-06-24 04:43 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

#18 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-06-24 04:40 PM | Reply | Flag:

There is flopping in the NBA but its not as melodramatic. There aren't stretchers and rolling around involved. It doesn't stop game play as I've seen it do several times while watching the World Cup.

Also the NBA knows that fans hate this and started fining players for flopping.

I don't really like the NBA anyway but I don't think the flopping is nearly as bad.

#20 | Posted by Sully at 2014-06-24 04:44 PM | Reply | Flag:

#18 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

Yes, it is that much different. The NBA players are trying to draw a foul. They are not pretending like a modicum of physical contact just resulted in a career-ending injury.

Hockey players are penalized for 'diving'. Soccer should consider something along those lines.

#21 | Posted by JeffJ at 2014-06-24 04:44 PM | Reply | Flag:

People underestimate how annoying that is to US fans.

It's annoying to everybody. But once you're a convert to the sport, it's like baseball pitchers taking too long to throw a pitch and basketball games ending in 100 timeouts -- something that's aggravating but nothing close to a dealbreaker.

#22 | Posted by rcade at 2014-06-24 04:45 PM | Reply | Flag:

#22 | Posted by rcade at 2014-06-24 04:45 PM | Reply | Flag:

The things you name waste time but aren't an attempt to gain an advantage by fooling the referee with dramatics. It is dishonest at best and many people would consider it cheating. And the players do it because it works.

Its not a minor issue because this is also a very low scoring game where one goal has a major impact on the outcome. Flopping can and has affected the decision to call penalty shots. When you see players decide to give up on scoring chance in the box in favor of flopping and hoping for a call, that's a major flaw in the game. Flopping also affects ref's decisions to give yellow cards, which can also have a huge impact on the game.

The officiating at the World Cup continues to be horrible and flopping only makes the problem worse.

#23 | Posted by Sully at 2014-06-24 04:54 PM | Reply | Flag:

Most of the time, I don't think players give up scoring chances. They flop when the chance is broken up or fails to develop. I wish it led to more cards and post-match fines.

Some teams do it more than others. Italy today was full of floppers.

#24 | Posted by rcade at 2014-06-24 04:56 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Most of the time, I don't think players give up scoring chances. They flop when the chance is broken up or fails to develop."

I agree with that. And the top players will always try to beat their man rather than flop. But I've seen some lesser players flop on the outskirts of the box when challenged when there is a chance that they could maintain possession if they kept their feet. They're doing it because they didn't have a great chance going and may have lost the ball anyway. But they're still giving up on the play.

The falling down and play acting is bad enough but what really irks me is that they are hoping that the ref makes a game influencing bad call. No competitor should ever want a game to be decided by officiating mistakes.

#25 | Posted by Sully at 2014-06-24 05:29 PM | Reply | Flag:

Sorry RCade. I guess my statement was overly broad. Especially since my wife just reminded me that we just left Toyota Stadium in Frisco, Texas Sunday. But it wasn't for Soccer. I stand corrected x 2.

#26 | Posted by bogey1355 at 2014-06-24 05:30 PM | Reply | Flag:

That's because basketball play routinely stops for a million other reasons.

One of the major draws of soccer is the non-stop action. Compare this to the last two minutes of a basketball game which takes ten minutes with the deliberate fouls and free throws.

#23 | Posted by Sully

Again, same goes for the NBA, and it's wildly popular.

#27 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-06-24 05:57 PM | Reply | Flag:

Sully, it doesn't happen often, but players have been carded for taking a dive. It should probably happen much more often. It's a real problem with the sport but I'm not sure how it can be fixed. Sort of like concussions and football.

#28 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-06-24 05:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

#28 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-06-24 05:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

IMO, its way easier to fix than concussions in football.

Hand out more cards for blatant flops.

If a player writhes around on the ground for long enough for play to stop, he has to be substituted out. If you could get up after 4 minutes you could have gotten up after 4 seconds. The only exception to that would be a knock on the head but its best to err on the side of caution with head injuries anyway.

The only reason they wouldn't fix it is if they don't want to.... Maybe some soccer loving cultures consider it gamesmanship and part the competition. They don't necessarily have to make the game more American friendly. But if they want to market the sport here, flopping needs to be dealth with.

#29 | Posted by Sully at 2014-06-24 06:11 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Now that's Italian!"

#30 | Posted by cookfish at 2014-06-24 06:26 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Is it really that much different than NBA player drives to the basket, player takes shot, player and defender are both lying on the floor afterwards?
#18 | Posted by snoofy"

Yes and no. The flop to try to draw the penalty is much the same. The writhing around like you just got shot is not. That being said, basketball players get to rest half the freaking time the game is on. Soccer players get a half time break, and that's it.

#31 | Posted by mOntecOre at 2014-06-24 07:28 PM | Reply | Flag:

He should be hung from the nearest tree.

#32 | Posted by rerun2 at 2014-06-24 08:31 PM | Reply | Flag:

Hand out more cards for blatant flops.

Amen.

caught part of the game today and the EyeTies were hitting the ground and flailing in agony every time somebody got within 5 feet of them.

#33 | Posted by northguy3 at 2014-06-24 11:08 PM | Reply | Flag:

"The guy is a disgrace to the sport. Surely FIFA will suspend him for the rest of the Cup."

Not as bad as the guy a few years ago poking opponents in the p--per (inside their shorts no less).

So these guys look like they all got big mouths, and one got his index finger in the ref's face while yelling. Hotheads! LiH

#34 | Posted by kenx at 2014-06-25 03:47 AM | Reply | Flag:

Suarez is brain dead. Barca wants to open the vault to land him but they may have second thoughts considering his intellect of a 10 year old. What a blunder and with the world watching. Is his agent on a suicide watch?

#35 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2014-06-25 07:37 AM | Reply | Flag: