Tuesday, June 24, 2014

LeBron James will exercise his early termination option and become an unrestricted free agent, his agent Richie Paul has informed the Miami Heat. He was scheduled to make $20 million next season. In James' four seasons with the team, the Heat went to four straight NBA Finals and won two championships.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

Comments

I find it funny that Pat Riley would have the nerve to make a comment saying LeBron shouldn't just run out on Miami and work something out. This is the -------- that faxed in his resignation letter to the Nicks. By the way I hate the Nicks. Then turns around and sets up a deal to get LeBron to run out on Cleveland. LeBron is a great player but, he has a DNA problem. (No not like Bill Clinton) but, more about he doesn't demand great play from team mates. He doesn't have the killer instinct that Bird,Magic,or Jordan. Now look at this years Spurs. Tim Duncan doesn't have it either but, Greg Popovich does.

#1 | Posted by Dalton at 2014-06-24 09:58 AM | Reply | Flag:

Dalton, excellent analysis. Lebron's teammates really let him down in the finals. Imagine the Heat with Pop at the helm.

#2 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2014-06-24 11:43 AM | Reply | Flag:

The Bandwagon loses its conductor and now Miami hates LeBron too.

#3 | Posted by kanrei at 2014-06-24 11:45 AM | Reply | Flag:

The modern reality of star athletes being no more than high paid mercenaries going from city to city make it real hard to feel passionately about any of them.

#4 | Posted by moder8 at 2014-06-24 11:52 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Thanks Crisis. I don't watch much NBA anymore b/c the regular season is meaningless. I was intrigued by the finals. I don't know if LeBron will leave or not just that Wade isn't what he was and he was the player on the Heat that had that DNA for putting teams away.

#5 | Posted by Dalton at 2014-06-24 11:56 AM | Reply | Flag:

#4 That's why the last few years I have gone back to my Atlanta Braves in MLB. They have signed up their core players showing fans they want to build the franchise long term. I just can't understand how "fans" where a Heat jersey or hat just b/c they got LeBron. Nobody is a born Heat fan. Nobody cared about the Heat until we got all of the NBA hype.

#6 | Posted by Dalton at 2014-06-24 11:59 AM | Reply | Flag:

Maybe he will return to Cleveland, to feel the 'love' of his spurned Cavaliers fans. More likely, he will feel a folding metal chair across his forehead. Guys like LeBron make a lot of money, earn some championship rings, but have little true respect and adoration from the fans...

#7 | Posted by catdog at 2014-06-24 12:03 PM | Reply | Flag:

#6 | Posted by Dalton at 2014-06-24 11:59 AM | Reply | Flag:

I assume there are real Heat fans, mostly in Miami and the surrounding area. They did win a championship even before Lebron. But if I see someone here in NJ wearing Heat gear, I assume they're a frontrunner. Kind of like Lebron being a "Yankees and Cowboys" fan despite being from Ohio.

I bet he goes back to Miami but it would be interesting to see how the Knicks would ruin his career if he were to somehow sign with them.

#8 | Posted by Sully at 2014-06-24 12:32 PM | Reply | Flag:

Misleading title...he may very well sign back w Miami. His opting out of the remaining two years of his contract gives him flexibility, nothing more. His most likely direction will be to sign a longer term deal with the Heat to allow them to fix all the glaringly broken parts...

#9 | Posted by bunker112 at 2014-06-24 12:34 PM | Reply | Flag:

When it comes right down to it, we root for clothes.

#10 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2014-06-24 12:50 PM | Reply | Flag:

#8 | Posted by Sully at 2014-06-24 12:32 PM | Reply | Flag:

I think he will too. Problem is Wade. He's due a bunch of money and he isn't at his option and after the last finals I don't think they can win with what they've got. I've said I'm no NBA expert but, I don't remember a team getting dominated the way the Heat did this time. The last three games weren't even close.

#11 | Posted by Dalton at 2014-06-24 01:33 PM | Reply | Flag:

Some local radio is guessing that he's changing his contract to bring in Carmello Anthony? I don't think that's what the Heat need but, if it helps bring them down I'm all for it.

#12 | Posted by Dalton at 2014-06-24 01:42 PM | Reply | Flag:

He's not leaving Miami, just giving himself (and the Heat) time to figure out which direction the team is going. They have some glaring issues. Carmelo Anthony doesn't solve any problems for the heat ...probably just creates more.

One of the best Onion headlines recently, was "Miami Heat afraid to tell their fans that they didn't win the NBA title". Speaks pretty well to the truth about Miami. It is not a Sports town.

#13 | Posted by CaseyJones at 2014-06-24 02:20 PM | Reply | Flag:

It is not a Sports town.

We were.

We became jaded after the first Marlins World Series win and cemented it after the second. LeBron is only adding to the idea that Miami teams are only there to increase the value of players for when they goto other teams.

#14 | Posted by kanrei at 2014-06-24 02:24 PM | Reply | Flag:

If he was doing this for roster flexibility, don't you think he'd say that and it would be announced with Wade and Bosh also exercising their opt outs?

#15 | Posted by rcade at 2014-06-24 03:24 PM | Reply | Flag:

Wade won't opt out Rcade. He's got maybe a year. Maybe? Even if he makes it another year he not the player he was. He will get as much as he can b/c this is it. I don't blame him either. One interesting idea would be for him to make less with a 1% ownership after he retires.

#16 | Posted by Dalton at 2014-06-24 03:32 PM | Reply | Flag:

The salary cap rules would not permit that.

#17 | Posted by rcade at 2014-06-24 03:46 PM | Reply | Flag:

The salary cap rules would not permit that.

#17 | Posted by rcade at 2014-06-24 03:46 PM | Reply | Flag

Interesting. I guess promised future money is the same as getting it today in the NBA? Or would it hit too hard on the year that it kicked in?

#18 | Posted by Dalton at 2014-06-24 03:51 PM | Reply | Flag:

He needs a big market, what if he went to Chicago with Anthony and they kept Rose. That would be a draw.

#19 | Posted by fishpaw at 2014-06-24 04:17 PM | Reply | Flag:

Rose is done Fish. He'll never be the same after blowing out both knees back to back years.

#20 | Posted by Dalton at 2014-06-24 04:30 PM | Reply | Flag:

Miami "HEAT!?" Isn't "heat" a slang word for a gun? WOW! I see there's need for another name change campaign here. How can we be talking about salary caps, team changes and the like when we have unsolved national issues such as team names like THIS? Oh, yeah, we have another broken law by the IRS and ISIS elements at work in Jordan now but let's not get distracted by trivialities when we have these serious non-PC issues to be dealt with.

#21 | Posted by jestgettinalong at 2014-06-24 04:33 PM | Reply | Flag:

Being a huge Celtic fan, I stopped once Bird/Parrish, etc retired, but i find myself liking it more than ever.

LaBron is one of the best players I have ever watched play. If you think The King had a support cast like Jordan (Pippin-Rodman), Magic (Worthy-Jabbar), and Bird (McHale-Parrish)..

Went to Boston to see Bird in old Boston Garden, and uses to go see Tiny Archibald come to Rutgers and play against the Nj Nets

#22 | Posted by drewinnj at 2014-06-24 06:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

uggh...i said "uses"...

#23 | Posted by drewinnj at 2014-06-24 06:26 PM | Reply | Flag:

Racde..

I said it gives HIM more flexibility. He can now test free agency AND figure out what the Heat are planning to give him more help. If he does re-sign it will likely be a longer term deal which gives the Heat more cap space. That being said, if he whores himself out again to another team I will eternally root against him ever winning another title..

#24 | Posted by bunker112 at 2014-06-25 11:20 AM | Reply | Flag: