Monday, June 23, 2014

The Mormon church excommunicated the founder of a Mormon women's group, her group announced Monday afternoon. Kate Kelly founded Ordain Women in 2013 to advocate for gender equality in the faith with the ultimate goal of allowing women in the lay clergy. She was accused of apostasy, which is repeated and public advocacy of positions that oppose church teachings. She did not attend the disciplinary hearing Sunday. She said she'll always be Mormon regardless of the decision. "I don't feel like Mormonism is something that washes off," she said. "That identity is not something that they can take from me."

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

Comments

Why do Mormons, Catholics, Muslims and other religions refuse to ordain women ??? If there is a job that women are as qualified, or more qualified then men, it's Pastor-Priest-clergy

What would Jesus do ...Say ??

Sammy a recovering Catholic

#1 | Posted by SammyAZ_RI at 2014-06-23 07:34 PM | Reply | Flag:

" she said. "That identity is not something that they can take from me." "

Perhaps not, but they will shun her. We could've had one of these corporatist cultists for Prez!

#2 | Posted by kenx at 2014-06-23 07:45 PM | Reply | Flag:

What would Jesus do ...Say ??

#1 | Posted by SammyAZ_RI at 2014-06-23 07:34 PM | Reply |

Hillary and 4 dead Benghazi Americans?

#3 | Posted by matsop at 2014-06-23 08:00 PM | Reply | Flag:

The local NPR had the LDS spokescritter on last week to talk about this. Basically she (LDS Spokeswoman) says, women can't be in the priesthood because they can't, until they can. Like blacks couldn't, until they could, in the '70s.

radiowest.kuer.org
It's a real frustrating listen if you have nothing better to do for an hour, but I figure maybe some of you might be interested in the churches side of the story (and still others will take umbrage at my use of the word church in reference to Mormons, but hey, I'm from Utah, where Baptists and Catholics are the cultist minorities).

#4 | Posted by blah at 2014-06-23 09:29 PM | Reply | Flag:

And just be be clear with my #4 post, I am in no way defending the LDS church. I dislike the church in ways none of you will ever be able to imagine.

#5 | Posted by blah at 2014-06-23 09:34 PM | Reply | Flag:

#5 | Posted by blah

I had no problem with mormons until my first trip to utah when I was swarmed by cops for having long hair and an unbuttoned shirt.

The 3% beer is really offensive too. There's something about trying to enforce your religious morality on people outside your religion that is truly disgusting. If you're not one of them, you're made to feel unwelcome.

#6 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2014-06-23 09:47 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

#6 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2014-06-23 09:47 PM | Reply

They probably weren't concerned about the long hair. The unbuttoned shirt probably did you in----the gentle gender probably complained.

#7 | Posted by matsop at 2014-06-23 10:01 PM | Reply | Flag:

What would Jesus do ...Say ??

Sammy a recovering Catholic

#1 | POSTED BY SAMMYAZ_RI

Give no woman power over you to trample upon your dignity. (Sirach 9:2 NAB)

You wives will submit to your husbands as you do to the Lord. For a husband is the head of his wife as Christ is the head of his body, the church; he gave his life to be her Savior. As the church submits to Christ, so you wives must submit to your husbands in everything. (Ephesians 5:22-24 NLT)

Women should listen and learn quietly and submissively. I do not let women teach men or have authority over them. Let them listen quietly. For God made Adam first, and afterward he made Eve. And it was the woman, not Adam, who was deceived by Satan, and sin was the result. But women will be saved through childbearing and by continuing to live in faith, love, holiness, and modesty. (1 Timothy 2:11-15 NLT)

#8 | Posted by soulfly at 2014-06-23 11:11 PM | Reply | Flag:

wow...are you TELLING me that a group has thrown out a woman who organized a group of people who's target was to overthrow one of the basic tenants of THAT GROUP??

nooooooooooooooooooooooo

#9 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2014-06-24 12:46 AM | Reply | Flag:

Could be worse....

Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged from Israel. (Deuteronomy 17:12 NLT)

#10 | Posted by soulfly at 2014-06-24 01:14 AM | Reply | Flag:

People who quote Old Testament law as if it were the "law of Christianity" ... have ever read the book Hebrews, nor much of the rest of the New Testament.

Or they are just lairs and frauds who know better and don't care.

18-22 Because of this oath, Jesus has become the guarantor of a better covenant.

www.biblegateway.com

#11 | Posted by Corky at 2014-06-24 01:25 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Or they are just lairs and frauds who know better and don't care.

www.biblegateway.com

#12 | Posted by Corky at 2014-06-24 01:31 AM | Reply | Flag:

Wrong again corky

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place." (Matthew 5:17 NAB)

"Know this first of all, that there is no prophecy of scripture that is a matter of personal interpretation, for no prophecy ever came through human will; but rather human beings moved by the holy Spirit spoke under the influence of God." (2 Peter 20-21 NAB)

"All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for refutation, for correction, and for training in righteousness..." (2 Timothy 3:16 NAB)

"For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 5:18-19 RSV)

#13 | Posted by soulfly at 2014-06-24 03:26 AM | Reply | Flag:

"...the scripture cannot be broken." --Jesus Christ, John 10:35

"Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law" (John7:19)

"For the law was given by Moses,..." (John 1:17).

Jesus criticizes the Jews for not killing their disobedient children according to Old Testament law. Mark.7:9-13 "Whoever curses father or mother shall die" (Mark 7:10 NAB)

#14 | Posted by soulfly at 2014-06-24 03:36 AM | Reply | Flag:

Mormans and Old Testament fundamentalists are going to have some serious decisions to make when President Hillary starts trampling on their dignity. I can hardly wait to watch the fallout.

Women have been waiting for this opportunity since the days of Susan B. Anthony.

My stump speech for Hillary is going to end with a shout ~ "Let's get 'er done, girls!"

#15 | Posted by Twinpac at 2014-06-24 05:52 AM | Reply | Flag:

Truth is the Church of Jesus Christ Later Day Saints is not even keeping up with defections. Thousands of missionaries going out for a year at a time and they are loosing members. It is a faith built on the word of a single man, like Scientology, and a hundred other cults. It's founder Joseph Smith is suspect at the very least. If he was a prophet, he was the only one to die with a gun in his hand.

#16 | Posted by docnjo at 2014-06-24 08:32 AM | Reply | Flag:

#13 | Posted by soulfly at 2014

He amended that law, and radically. Any honest reading of the New Testament shows this immediately.

Now, read it again. But do that one thing differently.

#17 | Posted by Zed at 2014-06-24 08:44 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

#14 | Posted by soulfly at 2014

Prevarications, half-truths, are worse than lies. Anyone can read Mark 7:10 in context. Save you, maybe.

So, the viewpoint you're arguing for.....Not strong on that old honesty thing? Tell me, those FBI agents, were they following Universal Moral Laws in rescuing those kids, or were the sex trafficers?

More to the point, how did YOU learn to tell the difference?

#18 | Posted by Zed at 2014-06-24 08:51 AM | Reply | Flag:

If only this lady had the sense to realize the Mormon Church is doing her a huge favor.

#19 | Posted by danni at 2014-06-24 10:12 AM | Reply | Flag:

#8 | POSTED BY SOULFLY

That would make a great T-shirt.

#20 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-06-24 10:48 AM | Reply | Flag:

^…For Fathers Day.

#21 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-06-24 10:49 AM | Reply | Flag:

God called the alleged Mormon prophet, President Spencer Kimball, immediately after black basketball players with Notre Dame refused to play against BYU, because of their denial of the "Priesthood" to African Blacks. Mormons taught that they were decendents of Cain and unworthy of such an appointment. But God understood the importance of TV revenues and acted quickly in 1978 to change Church policy. In another case, filed by the ACLU, a black child was brought to a Mormon Boy Scout meeting and denied entrance. Prior to 1978 Salt Lake City was a heavily segregated community, based on race. Today, to cover up that history, they named a street after Martin Luther King.

During an earlier period Joseph Smith, the alleged first Mormon prophet, ordained one black man into the priesthood, a policy which Brigham Young, the next leader, refused to follow.

#22 | Posted by nutcase at 2014-06-24 11:13 AM | Reply | Flag:

I don't understand why anyone would want to be part of a group when they don't believe the existing rules of that group. Don't like it? Leave. There are plenty of religions where a woman can be a Priest.. Better... start your own.

#23 | Posted by sames1 at 2014-06-24 11:39 AM | Reply | Flag:

#15 | POSTED BY TWINPAC

Just because women have chin whiskers and arm hair you think they deserve the same shake as a man?

#24 | Posted by tontonmacoute at 2014-06-24 11:40 AM | Reply | Flag:

#15 | POSTED BY TWINPAC

#25 | Posted by tontonmacoute at 2014-06-24 11:40 AM | Reply | Flag:

So, the viewpoint you're arguing for.....Not strong on that old honesty thing? Tell me, those FBI agents, were is they following Universal Moral Laws in rescuing those kids, or were the sex trafficers?

More to the point, how did YOU learn to tell the difference?

#18 | POSTED BY ZED

"Honesty" Ha! Your faith is based on myths and lies. So does your bible include the old and new testament? Why is that? Because its continuation of the same lie. You may not like it when scripture doesn't match your beliefs but clearly old and new testament are ment to be take together.

Dear friends, I am not writing a new commandment, for it is an old one you have always had, right from the beginning. This commandment – to love one another – is the same message you heard before. Yet it is also new. (1 John 2:7-8 NLT)

#26 | Posted by soulfly at 2014-06-24 11:45 AM | Reply | Flag:

Let's all become Carlinists!

I give you my revised list of the two commandments:

Thou shalt always be honest and faithful to the provider of thy nookie.

&

Thou shalt try real hard not to kill anyone, unless of course they pray to a different invisible man than you.

Two is all you need; Moses could have carried them down the hill in his _____'n pocket. I wouldn't mind those folks in Alabama posting them on the courthouse wall, as long as they provided one additional commandment:

Thou shalt keep thy religion to thyself.

George Carlin

#27 | Posted by kanrei at 2014-06-24 11:48 AM | Reply | Flag:

lmao... doesn't know the meaning of the word, "fulfill".

www.christianbiblereference.or
g

#28 | Posted by Corky at 2014-06-24 11:51 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

#22 | POSTED BY NUTCASE

Here's a good morman lie for the kids
Lost book of Abraham

#29 | Posted by soulfly at 2014-06-24 12:16 PM | Reply | Flag:

lmao... doesn't know the meaning of the word, "fulfill".

www.christianbiblereference.or
g

#28 | POSTED BY CORKY

Believes in myths and lies. But not Mohamed

#30 | Posted by soulfly at 2014-06-24 12:22 PM | Reply | Flag:

Moves goal posts at will.

The old testament was a testament to the original Covenant, the new testament a testament to the New Covenant. This is Christianity 101.

If you want to be an atheist, be one, no one cares. But don't lie about what Christianity is.

#31 | Posted by Corky at 2014-06-24 12:30 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

"Honesty" Ha! Your faith is based on myths and lies.

#26 | Posted by soulfly at 2

Well, as you're demonstrating, so is yours.

#32 | Posted by Zed at 2014-06-24 12:34 PM | Reply | Flag:

#26 | Posted by soulfly at 2014

Yep. And together they mean nothing like what you want them to say. Then again, since I believe in lies, you'll take that as one and, since you believe in lies also, I have no earthly idea why I'm having this conversation with you.

#33 | Posted by Zed at 2014-06-24 12:36 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Why do Mormons, Catholics, Muslims and other religions refuse to ordain women ???"

They don't want God to come across as nagging.

#34 | Posted by Sully at 2014-06-24 12:39 PM | Reply | Flag:

Nobody wants to be told they are evil and going to Hell every 28 days.

#35 | Posted by kanrei at 2014-06-24 12:42 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

One of God's names in the old Hebrew is El Shaddai, "the many-breasted one".... which related to providing sustenance, not about gender, as spiritual beings have no gender.

#36 | Posted by Corky at 2014-06-24 12:42 PM | Reply | Flag:

"the many-breasted one"....

Two in the front and one in the back.

Why one in the back? Slow dancing.

#37 | Posted by kanrei at 2014-06-24 12:43 PM | Reply | Flag:

"God called the alleged Mormon prophet, President Spencer Kimball, immediately after black basketball players with Notre Dame refused to play against BYU, because of their denial of the "Priesthood" to African Blacks. Mormons taught that they were decendents of Cain and unworthy of such an appointment."

One of my brothers took a religion class in college and one of the guest speakers was a black mormon minister (or whatever they call their clergy). During the Q&A, my brother specifically asked the guy what he thought about the recent racist past of mormonism.

Basically the guy claimed to believe that God was really behind it all.

Some people just need to be suckers.

#38 | Posted by Sully at 2014-06-24 12:44 PM | Reply | Flag:

Soulfly: I teach jr high school. sixth, seventh, and eight grade I wouldn't let you anywhere any of my students. Ever

#39 | Posted by suzycreamcheese at 2014-06-24 03:05 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

#40 | Posted by suzycreamcheese at 2014-06-24 03:05 PM | Reply | Flag:

Soulfly: I teach jr high school. sixth, seventh, and eight grade I wouldn't let you anywhere near any of my students. Ever

#41 | Posted by suzycreamcheese at 2014-06-24 03:07 PM | Reply | Flag:

#42 | Posted by suzycreamcheese at 2014-06-24 03:07 PM | Reply | Flag:

Let's all become Carlinists!

........

#27 | Posted by kanrei

Yea Verily...I do believe in George!

#43 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-06-24 03:36 PM | Reply | Flag:

George is dead, Jesus is not.

#44 | Posted by docnjo at 2014-06-24 04:13 PM | Reply | Flag:

George is dead, Jesus is not.

#44 | Posted by docnjo

They are either both dead. Or they both are not.

But, at least we have accurate records of what George said.

#45 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-06-24 04:30 PM | Reply | Flag:

Mormons belong to a cult, just like the Catholics...

#46 | Posted by Postone at 2014-06-25 05:18 AM | Reply | Flag: