Sunday, June 22, 2014

An Australian man said police confiscated four of his guns because he posed for his firearm licence photo with a colander on his head. Guy Albon told the photographer he was a member of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster so he could wear the colander, a symbol of the satirical religious movement whose members call themselves Pastafarians. "The law stipulates you can have something on your head," he said. Police had concerns he was mentally unstable.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

gracieamazed

MORE STORIES

Comments

Sounds like he got his pasta freedoms violated.

#1 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2014-06-22 08:41 AM | Reply | Flag:

Interesting that they only responded when he posted it.

Seems more a response to being embarrassed that they allowed it in the first place than anything else.

#2 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-06-22 09:49 AM | Reply | Flag:

#3 | Posted by rcade at 2014-06-22 10:36 AM | Reply | Flag:

We should have more procedures like that in the U.S.

#3 | Posted by rcade at 2014-06-22 10:36 AMFlag: (Choose)
FunnyNewsworthyOffensiveAbusiv
e

The guns were innocent, so why should they be punished?

#4 | Posted by Zed at 2014-06-22 10:54 AM | Reply | Flag:

#3 - you already know what I'm gonna say about this post. Why don't you go ahead and justify your indefensible position.

The rule (to allow head-gear) was put in place so religious observers would not be required by the state to violate their religious practices, and thereby deny their constitutional rights based on a non-relevant factor (what does your religion have to do with your ability to legally own a firearm?).

#5 | Posted by kudzu at 2014-06-22 11:10 AM | Reply | Flag:

#3 | POSTED BY RCADE

See, that's why your argument of mentality as a defining requirement on this issue is mocked so much. We've had this discussion in another thread.

Defining crazy should be, HAS to be, something more significant than putting a colander on your head and claiming to be a pastafarian and getting away with it on a lark.

#6 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-06-22 11:10 AM | Reply | Flag:

and furthermore, should we deny a permit to other religion's followers because of their particular headgear?

#7 | Posted by kudzu at 2014-06-22 11:12 AM | Reply | Flag:

#7 | Posted by kudzu at 2014-06-22

Its fine with me if he wears a collander. Let's see if the satirical religion can survive a little satire. I rather doubt most of them will take it at all well.

#8 | Posted by Zed at 2014-06-22 11:23 AM | Reply | Flag:

Its fine with me if he wears a collander.

#8 | Posted by Zed

But, apparently, it's not okay with the police. I suppose he didn't belong to the right religious corporation.

#9 | Posted by kudzu at 2014-06-22 11:30 AM | Reply | Flag:

This man had no need to own a gun. There is no practical reason that anyone in Australia would...

#10 | Posted by madbomber at 2014-06-22 11:43 AM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

#3 | Posted by rcade

You are right rca. Every crazy lib in the US should get all their weapons taken away, that includes all cars over 1,000 pounds.

#11 | Posted by Sniper at 2014-06-22 11:55 AM | Reply | Flag:

The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster = Pastafarians.

They take their satire most seriously.

I like the ones that in all pure seriousness do NOT get offended about a nativity at City Hall, and don't use their 'religion' to 'troll'.

Frankly, some of their satire is a hoot. More please.

Just hold the anti-religious bigotry.

#12 | Posted by USAF242 at 2014-06-22 01:15 PM | Reply | Flag:

#10 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

#13 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-06-22 01:56 PM | Reply | Flag:

Soon we will all live in a world where we are guilty until proven innocent.

#14 | Posted by nutcase at 2014-06-22 06:13 PM | Reply | Flag:

He has a nice smile

#15 | Posted by SammyAZ_RI at 2014-06-22 06:30 PM | Reply | Flag:

Loser also needs his head dunked in a bucket of ice water.

Flying Spaghetti Monster garbage has gone from amusing/useful satire to a complete waste of time.

#16 | Posted by Tor at 2014-06-23 12:12 AM | Reply | Flag:

.... "I'm glad their police took action because they suspected he was crazy. We should have more procedures like that in the U.S."

**** Maybe the US Police should just be able to EXECUTE anyone they suspect is Crazy...then again why not give them that Power for any reason they can dream up? One of the conclusions you could reach from this is that if you want to KILL people and not be called either Crazy (or be Criminally Charged) is that you must...join a Police Force!

#17 | Posted by AntiCadillac at 2014-06-23 05:29 AM | Reply | Flag:

TOR (#16)

I gotta disagree. The Pastafarian faith is excellent satire IF PRACTICED BY PEOPLE NOT HOSTILE TO REAL RELIGIONS (such atheists exist).

While it is an absolute 100% safe bet that Pastafarianism has some anti-religious bigots in the flock, assuming they all are that way is improper.

My default test is to ask if they care AT ALL if they drive by City Hall around Christmas and see a nativity scene. If they start adding 'conditions' then at least partly bigots. If offended, then outright bigots. This test is not perfect, but gives a good ballpark.

#18 | Posted by USAF242 at 2014-06-23 06:30 AM | Reply | Flag:

----------

Power has always labeled people it doesn't like as crazy. Forcing people to get committed is one of the oldest ways of depriving them of their rights. It is quite revealing that either you don't know this, or are unwilling to acknowledge it.

#19 | Posted by Shawn at 2014-06-23 10:54 AM | Reply | Flag:

Pastafarians and those who celebrate Festivus are pure and loved satire that is central to the American way of life. Free speech and parody! How can you not love it?

Typed by a loyal member of the Church of the Subgenius!

#20 | Posted by kanrei at 2014-06-23 11:00 AM | Reply | Flag:

"The Pastafarian faith is excellent satire IF PRACTICED BY PEOPLE NOT HOSTILE TO REAL RELIGIONS (such atheists exist)."

Their entire purpose is to mock religion. They're saying "The Flying Spaghetti Monster I pray to is no more ridiculous than your God."

I'm an atheist and how hostile I am towards religion largely depends on the amount of hostility I perceive coming from religious people at any time. My first instinct is to live and let live. But when peole start using their religion as a basis to start acting holier than thou I'm going to respond to their obnoxious behavior in kind.

#21 | Posted by sully at 2014-06-23 11:21 AM | Reply | Flag:

The situation begs the question is this pastafarian some kind of threat or just a comedian?

#22 | Posted by nutcase at 2014-06-23 12:03 PM | Reply | Flag:

Too high brow nutcase. This place doesn't reach much farther than fart jokes.

#23 | Posted by Shawn at 2014-06-23 12:04 PM | Reply | Flag:

- fart jokes.

Says the anarchist joke.

#24 | Posted by Corky at 2014-06-23 12:17 PM | Reply | Flag:

#21 | Posted by sully at 2014-06-23 11:21 AM | Reply

Then I suppose I can't tell you that, although its fine with me this guy wears collander on his head, its also a pretty stupid thing to do?

I guess my question is: Is my opinion obnoxious, correct, or obnoxious and correct?

#25 | Posted by Zed at 2014-06-23 12:36 PM | Reply | Flag:

#25 | Posted by Zed at 2014-06-23 12:36 PM | Reply | Flag:

I agree with you. When I was referring to people being obnoxious about their religion, I was mostly talking about people using their religion as a basis for making negative judgements about others or for touting their own superiority. Also, when people expect others to adhere to their religious beliefs.

#26 | Posted by Sully at 2014-06-23 01:00 PM | Reply | Flag:

" Let's see if the satirical religion can survive a little satire. I rather doubt most of them will take it at all well."

#8 | Posted by Zed

That would make them a "real" religion then, wouldn't it?

#27 | Posted by Harry_Powell at 2014-06-23 03:12 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

#22 | POSTED BY NUTCASE AT 2014-06-23 12:03 PM | REPLY | FLAG:

A firearm is not a toy. I'm of the mindset that anyone who would do this would also get drunk and shoot "for fun". This is not something to be taken lightly and to err on the side of caution is good.

#28 | Posted by soheifox at 2014-06-23 04:28 PM | Reply | Flag:

#28 | POSTED BY SOHEIFOX

You'd have a point if he was playing with a firearm as if it were a toy, but other than it involving a goofy pic on a firearm license?

So a pastafarian who say, got a driver license wearing a colander, should have it revoked and his car taken away because that means he would also get drunk and drive into a crowd 'for fun'.

You're logic is impeccable.

#29 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-06-23 04:49 PM | Reply | Flag:

Your logic too :)

#30 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-06-23 04:50 PM | Reply | Flag:

You're logic is impeccable.

#29 | POSTED BY LOHOCLA AT 2014-06-23 04:49 PM | REPLY | FLAG:

Except it is. If he will pose like a child for an official government document he will be just as immature with what the document allows him to touch. firearms are not toys, and adolescents, of all ages, should not be allowed them.

It is a government ID. A picture that will follow him for years. If he thinks that wearing a colander on his head is acceptable, he's not yet ready for that responsibility.

#31 | Posted by soheifox at 2014-06-23 07:24 PM | Reply | Flag:

And though the Pastafarian has agreed to have his gun licence photo retaken without the colander, he is going to try his luck with his driver's licence.

‘What are they gonna do, come and take my car off me?' he said.

----

Well played.

#32 | Posted by Pirate at 2014-06-23 07:28 PM | Reply | Flag:

#3 | Posted by rcade

I actually agree with you.

It is not a sane action to do this. He should not be allowed to own firearms. What begins as a "harmless joke" against a serious manner has a higher than average odds of being what ends with him shooting people who don;t find him amusing.

Are there no specific rules against this sort of thing? Of course not. Anyone who is sane and mature enough to operate firearms should just KNOW BETTER.

#33 | Posted by soheifox at 2014-06-23 07:28 PM | Reply | Flag:

#33 | POSTED BY SOHEIFOX

So you're saying that you'd have the same outrage if someone had their DL photo taken in the same manner?

#34 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-06-23 07:56 PM | Reply | Flag:

#34 | POSTED BY LOHOCLA AT 2014-06-23 07:56 PM | FLAG:

I am saying you are as incapable of mature thought as he is.

#35 | Posted by soheifox at 2014-06-23 08:49 PM | Reply | Flag:

Anyone holding that as a standard for loss of liberty or property is so woefully ignorant of US due process that they should be required to attend remedial ConLaw courses or sustain a six month ban from posting on ConLaw subjects.

#36 | Posted by et_al at 2014-06-24 12:14 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

I am saying you are as incapable of mature thought as he is.

#35 | POSTED BY SOHEIFOX

So I take it that the answer is a no, you wouldn't have a problem with it?

Problem is when you go out on a limb like that, you need to apply that logic across the whole spectrum, not just when it comes to something you personally dont like.

That kind of ----- is OK when it's just you, but sure isn't OK when it comes to applying it to other people.

#37 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-06-24 05:16 AM | Reply | Flag:

#36 | POSTED BY ET_AL

Wish that would sink in, but I'm guessing it wont.

#38 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-06-24 05:18 AM | Reply | Flag: