Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Spain followed its 5-1 thrashing by The Netherlands with a 2-0 loss to Chile Wednesday, ending its defense of the World Cup crown it won in 2010 after just two games. Chile's Eduardo Vargas poked a close-range shot past Spain keeper Iker Casillas and Charles Aranguiz doubled the lead by hitting an ill-advised Casillas punch off a free kick into the net. Chile, which entered the tournament with the daunting task of being grouped with both World Cup finalists of four years ago, advances out of the group with The Netherlands.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

Comments

Even though they had a good short-pass game they sucked otherwise.

#1 | Posted by xyzpdq at 2014-06-19 12:06 AM | Reply | Flag:

They got old fast. Just like the Heat.

#2 | Posted by Harry_Powell at 2014-06-19 12:11 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Goal keeping, the second goal was a clinic on poor keeping...

#3 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-06-19 01:06 AM | Reply | Flag:

Casias has been bad all year, I suspect he has played his last game for club and country.
You cant play tikitak without Xavi. And even if you could Costa isn't a tikitak player, he's a traditional front man ( who didn't manage a single shot on goal over two matches).
The Madrid players are spent. Ramos was a shell of himself. He left it all on the field back in Berlin.

#4 | Posted by BluSky at 2014-06-19 02:47 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Well, they played like trash and they deserve to go home. They actually had a pretty tough bracket with Netherlands and Chile. I wonder why they started Casillas if it's really true that he hasn't played all year.

But the hangover isn't unexpected, "For the third time in the last four World Cups the holders exit at the group stage" www.independent.co.uk

#5 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-06-19 03:02 AM | Reply | Flag:

I wonder why they started Casillas
De Gea is hurt and Renia is so bad Liverpool must to pay half his wages at Napoli so they keep him on loan.

Meanwhile, the kid for Mexico playing out of his skin is a free agent.

#6 | Posted by BluSky at 2014-06-19 03:38 AM | Reply | Flag:

Personal observation, I am surprised at how under-rated many of the South American teams have been. Chile, Colombia and Costa Rica are all terrific and have been terrific throughout the initial qualifying rounds. Yet to read all the eurocentric soccer pundits who rated and ranked the teams prior to the WC, you would get the impression that none of them stand any chance against any European traditional power. From the start I think the Euro bias of the soccer world has just completely underrated the current strength of South America.

#7 | Posted by moder8 at 2014-06-19 11:48 AM | Reply | Flag:

Better luck in the up-coming Hunger Games...

#8 | Posted by catdog at 2014-06-19 12:03 PM | Reply | Flag:

It's over for me. Casillas sucked, Xavi H. rightfully benched, defense awful. Still, I'm more then grateful for what my team has done after decades of not meeting expectations. I was surprised that Lalas still thinks the Spain's glorious 6 year run is the best national team ever.

Moder, FIFA rankings are important but probably more pertinent is country history in these tournaments, hence Brazil, Argentina and the EURO powers will always be the favorites, until Asia, Central America or Africa can finally win one.

#9 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2014-06-19 01:57 PM | Reply | Flag:

And, as I predicted, Colombia beats Ivory Coast and moves to the next round of play. The only team to let me down so far in my bracket has been Spain. I never imagined they would be this bad. In Group B I had Spain and Chile advancing. I was wrong. It is Holland and Chile. I also have chosen Croatia to beat Mexico and advance. That is gonna be a tough one.

#10 | Posted by moder8 at 2014-06-19 02:10 PM | Reply | Flag:

The Netherlands have a great team. Poor Cameroon got slaughtered by Croatia yesterday. Next Thursday is a big one for the US, I can't wait.

#11 | Posted by 4doxies at 2014-06-19 02:22 PM | Reply | Flag:

Go Uruguay tokers!

#12 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-06-19 03:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

England bites the dust.

#13 | Posted by DRJIMMIES at 2014-06-19 05:02 PM | Reply | Flag:

wtf? the country of my soul (switzerland) is getting its ass handed to them by those stupid french!

i hate the french. except for their beaches anyway.

#14 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2014-06-20 04:19 PM | Reply | Flag:

#7 | Posted by moder8

Certainly they have great teams - all the teams here defeated a lot of other teams to make it. :) It's just how great. Uruguay and Argentina are usually good. Brazil is almost always great. Mexico comes up with good teams as well. Chile is looking very good. Costa Rica did look good but Spain looked aweful too. Honduras? Well they should have been sent home after the first game.

Look at Uruguay - Yesterday was the first time EVER in the cup they beat a European team. The made it to the Semi's last time and then lost out twice to European teams.

Spain just looked tired and unprepared. Chile did tie them earlier this year in a qualifier. Chile dominated the game and Spain equalized in the last minutes. Blusky is right - the Madrid players just looked spent.

I have to say - there are a lot of teams looking great. But essentially you have two groups of death - Germany, Portugal, Ghana, USA and Italy, UK, Uruguay and Costa Rica. Versus say Greece, Japan, Ivory Coast and Columbia or Belgium, Russia, Algeria and Korea. I really think FIFA needs to figure out how to balance groups.

#15 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2014-06-20 05:15 PM | Reply | Flag: