Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Tesla, the U.S. electric vehicle maker, has decided to make public all patents that it possesses so that anyone can use them for free. The company took the measure to expand the electric vehicle (EV) market. It is the first time ever that an automaker has released its patents for free. Elon Musk, CEO of Tesla, wrote in a blog post that the company's competitors are not small electric vehicle producers, but makers of combustion engine-powered automobiles.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

Musk wrote, "Tesla Motors was created to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport. If we clear a path to the creation of compelling electric vehicles, but then lay intellectual property landmines behind us to inhibit others, we are acting in a manner contrary to that goal. Tesla will not initiate patent lawsuits against anyone who, in good faith, wants to use our technology."

Comments

Elon Musk is my hero.

#1 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-06-18 06:21 PM | Reply | Flag:

Not a smart move, if they had offered the patents to other start-ups at a reasonable price Tesla's bottom line would be better. Any start-up that can't raise a few bucks to buy-rent the patents probably won't succeed anyway

#2 | Posted by SammyAZ_RI at 2014-06-18 06:37 PM | Reply | Flag:

At this point even if someone can do what they're doing for cheaper Tesla is still going to do better and Musk will continue to kickass.

#3 | Posted by Tor at 2014-06-18 06:51 PM | Reply | Flag:

Its a total failure the batteries cost way to much and dont last long enough to recover the cost. No wonder they are giving away the patents.

In real life use the car would run down while on the road,

#4 | Posted by tmaster at 2014-06-18 07:59 PM | Reply | Flag:

Tesla working with Panasonic to lower the cost of batteries to about $5,000. It's only a matter of time. You folks with your heads in the sand are going to be AMAZED! ....apparently....

#5 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-06-18 08:00 PM | Reply | Flag:

#4 | POSTED BY TMASTER

"...Musk said that he hoped his Tesla venture would have a mass-market car ready for public consumption within the next three years. The big challenge is getting a battery that can be built for less than $5,000, but he said that the company was in daily meetings with Panasonic trying to sort out the problems involved."

www.theregister.co.uk

*SWISH*

#6 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-06-18 08:04 PM | Reply | Flag:

I live on the east coast 45 miles north of NYC, and have been seeing Model 6's quite a bit.I realize that electric cars are a long way off from being mainstream but its a start and pretty cool.Also saw a BMW i3 in town yesterday,have always been a BMW enthusiast so that was cool,but will keep my 3.0 csi

#7 | Posted by blake914 at 2014-06-18 08:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

In real life use the car would run down while on the road,

#4 | POSTED BY TMASTER AT 2014-06-18 07:59 PM | FLAG:

Fortunately, zero percent of your comment is true.

#8 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-06-18 08:31 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 2

#4 | POSTED BY TMASTER AT 2014-06-18 07:59 PM | FLAG:

Fortunately, zero percent of your comment is true.

#8 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-06-18 08:31 PM | Reply | Flag:

It's almost as if some of these right-wingers WANT American-made electric cars to fail, so that we remain dependent on foreign oil from countries that hate us. Seems weird.

#9 | Posted by cbob at 2014-06-18 10:59 PM | Reply | Flag:

Why not. My patents earned me a few $K while sponsors got several $B.

#10 | Posted by xyzpdq at 2014-06-19 12:28 AM | Reply | Flag:

#9 | POSTED BY CBOB AT 2014-06-18 10:59 PM | FLAG:

I've got thousands of dollars of LiPo batteries for my planes. Not once have they managed to charge themselves. They have to be charged from the grid or by a liquid fueled generator. My grid is wind generated, but I am a very tiny minority.

I too used to think electric vehicles could solve geo-political issues, but in retrospect that seems naive. Lets just pretend for a moment that zero foreign energy sources are used anymore. Okay, great, less atmospheric pollution. That's not the only problem though. The metals used in those batteries are mined in hellish conditions in 3rd world countries that hate us, where children handle mercury with bare hands. Massively ramp up demand, massively ramp up the problems. All we would be doing is transferring geo-political problems to new places.

Electric cars are.. over 100 by now. The idea hasn't disappeared, but they have a long way to go and some of the expectations are greatly over-hyped.

#11 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2014-06-19 08:35 AM | Reply | Flag:

Short sighted Sitz. Tech is improving,

#12 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-06-19 08:49 AM | Reply | Flag:

Short sighted Sitz. Tech is improving,

#12 | POSTED BY BRUCEBANNER AT 2014-06-19 08:49 AM | FLAG:

Pragmatic. In 2011 we imported 60% of our petroleum consumption. We imported 80% of strategic minerals. There's a lot of cobalt in those Tesla and Prius batteries. 80% of it comes from Africa's copper belt, home to the worlds deadliest conflict, highest % of rape on the planet, and many countries and even more armed groups all fighting over the same things. It just doesn't make the news like the Middle East does.

Here's a look at the geopolitics of minerals. It is viewed as a never-ending struggle between "great powers".

#13 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2014-06-19 09:55 AM | Reply | Flag:

#11 You make a good point. I think more efforts should be put toward a biodegradable eco-friendly fuel for all vehicles.

#14 | Posted by 4doxies at 2014-06-19 02:26 PM | Reply | Flag:

#11 | Posted by sitzkrieg

Yeah. there is room for improvement...but it has come far enough for me.

If I could afford one I'd have a Tesla right now. One of the best cars ever built.

#15 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-06-19 05:22 PM | Reply | Flag:

I think you forget or do not know who Elon Musk is. The dude is way ahead of everyone. So far ahead he is worried about getting the rest of us caught up. Hence his release of the patents. He has no fear of being overtaken he has a fear of getting too far ahead of the pack.

He is on it bro.

Tesla Motors Inc. (TSLA), the electric vehicle maker co-founded by Elon Musk, plans to use only raw materials sourced in North America for its proposed $5 billion U.S. battery factory.

The Silicon Valley company won't look overseas for the graphite, cobalt and other materials needed for its so-called Gigafactory, said Liz Jarvis-Shean, a spokeswoman.

"It will enable us to establish a supply chain that is local and focused on minimizing environmental impact while significantly reducing battery cost," she said in an e-mail.

The move comes amid heightened interest in curbing graphite pollution and a widespread corporate sensitivity about avoiding the use of industrial minerals from global trouble spots such as central Africa. China's government, for example, has begun to shutter mines producing graphite, a major ingredient in lithium-ion batteries, over air-quality issues, Bloomberg News reported March 14.

www.bloomberg.com

#16 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-06-19 05:29 PM | Reply | Flag:

I know who Musk is. I'm a big SpaceX fan.

However Telsa is planning on using mines that don't actually exist, in places with some of the most strict regulatory hurdles on the planet, with no indication they'll actually be open before the gigafactory is finished and producing batteries. I wish they would succeed, but that's just a trumped up marketing release. Not far off from claiming Tesla is profitable, which is true... if you make up your own math and don't use General Accounting Procedure. One thing Musk is good at is marketing, and he has an army of people that are also really good at it.

Right now they can get away with just using the Philippines because their demand is so low compared to most of the lipo consumption of the rest of the world. There's a reason people go to the Congo for cobalt, and it's not because it's a nice place with a stable government.

#17 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2014-06-19 09:00 PM | Reply | Flag:

"One thing Musk is good at is marketing, and he has an army of people that are also really good at it."

Yes Elon is an excellent car salesman. But, it's not a hard sell the car sells itself. Like I said, I'm sold. I'd buy one right now. And if I get the chance I will. And I haven't bought a new car in decades. And it is an American car company we should all be proud to support. I like his whole concept. He is trying to make it sustainable into the future. If anyone can do it he can.

"Musk's philosophy is that if global consciousness can be expanded, perhaps in the future mankind will be able to ask the right question. Musk considers the internet, renewable energy and space exploration as the methods which have the potential to have the most impact in this sense."

en.m.wikipedia.org

#18 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-06-19 10:30 PM | Reply | Flag:

I'd just buy a Prius C. $20k for an established hybrid with a great track record, and way easier to fill it back up with energy. Maybe in 15 years or so when there's charging stations here and they've got an SUV or truck option. My flying toys are light but bulky and driving to fields on weekends can be 4 hours round trip, and you have to generate your own power on site.

The cars battery usage may pay off for me in other ways though. I'm heavily dependent on lithium polymer batteries. I have 9 planes that use them. They run anywhere from $10 to $40 for what I use, with one plane using 2 $40 batteries. That's the small, fly in the neighborhood stuff. If I want to convert my 85" 50cc 5.5hp aerobatics plane from gas to electric, it takes $200+ per battery set, which lasts 6 minutes or less. Gas is $2 per 10 minute flight. The plane will crash long before the batteries are a good return on investment. I'd rather run electric, it's quiet & clean, but I need a lipo price war to make it viable.

#19 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2014-06-20 08:30 AM | Reply | Flag: