Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Dana Milbank: Representatives of prominent conservative groups converged on the Heritage Foundation on Monday afternoon for the umpteenth in a series of gatherings to draw attention to the Benghazi controversy. But this one took an unexpected turn. What began as a session purportedly about "unanswered questions" surrounding the September 2012 attacks on U.S. facilities in Libya deteriorated into the ugly taunting of a woman in the room who wore an Islamic head covering.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

Saba Ahmed, an American University law student, stood in the back of the room and asked a question in a soft voice. "We portray Islam and all Muslims as bad, but there's 1.8 billion followers of Islam," she told them. "We have 8 million-plus Muslim Americans in this country and I don't see them represented here."

Panelist Brigitte Gabriel of a group called ACT! for America pounced. She said "180 million to 300 million" Muslims are "dedicated to the destruction of Western civilization." ...

"Are you an American?" Gabriel demanded of Ahmed, after accusing her of taking "the limelight" and before informing her that her "political correctness" belongs "in the garbage."

Comments

She's right about political correctness.

#1 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2014-06-17 04:08 PM | Reply | Flag:

I love it how the press is trying to show this muslim woman as meek and causing no harm.

stood in the back of the room and asked a question in a soft voice

"Stood in the back of the room". Gotta get those racism portrayals to the civil rights movement in there, don't we liberals?

"Soft Voice". I wonder how soft the "voices" were when the Iraqi Army soldiers were being executed? Where was her voice then?

"Can you tell me who the head of the Muslim peace movement is?" he demanded of Ahmed.

"Yeah," audience members taunted, "yeah."

Ahmed answered quietly, as before. "I guess it's me right now," she said.

Wow. Trying to get the "meek" in there, aren't we? Well, the "meek" aren't killing people, the rest of your religion is. People are getting tired of this liberal loving of Islam. Eventually, the "moderate" ones are going to have to be held accountable of not raising their voice to the violent ones.

#2 | Posted by boaz at 2014-06-17 04:12 PM | Reply | Flag:

"The young woman responded calmly to the taunts of the panelists and the crowd. "As a peaceful American Muslim," she told them, "I would like to think I'm not that irrelevant."

If this is what a peaceful Muslim can expect from a pack of deranged wingnuts, no wonder they are quite.

#3 | Posted by Corky at 2014-06-17 04:14 PM | Reply | Flag:

And what does she want? For us to not question her? To not question her religion?

#4 | Posted by boaz at 2014-06-17 04:15 PM | Reply | Flag:

She is as irrelevant as I am as a black man to the black community of thugs, gangsters and welfare cheats who are setting the stereotype..

#5 | Posted by boaz at 2014-06-17 04:16 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

#5 | POSTED BY BOAZ AT 2014-06-17 04:16 PM | FLAG: NW

#6 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-06-17 04:19 PM | Reply | Flag:

-the black community of thugs, gangsters and welfare cheats

Another minority that focuses blame unfairly on the majority of black people.

Kinda like jihadists do for all Muslims.

#7 | Posted by Corky at 2014-06-17 04:21 PM | Reply | Flag:

If you read the actual transcript, you'll find that Milbank is full of crap. As usual.

This, my friends, is why people loathe journalists. They twist and turn and play gotcha games. Also, they make stuff up. A good editor in my past told me that he was always suspicious of reporters who rely on breaking up a quote multiple times and adding in their own words in between. It means they're trying to force the speaker to say something. We can now call this the Milbank Rule. I mean, was everything quoted in his piece accurate? Absolutely. Were his words or description of what transpired accurate? Hell no.

Here is an actual transcript. Still totally interesting but not about questioning citizenship:

And since you're the only Muslim representative in here, you took the limelight instead of speaking about why our government -- and I assume are you an American? -- You're an American citizen -- So as an American citizen you set in this room and instead of standing up and saying a question or asking something about our four Americans that died and what our government is doing to correct the problem, you stood there to make a point about peaceful moderate Muslims. I wish you brought 10 with you to question about how we can hold our government responsible. It is time we took political correctness and throw it in the garbage where it belongs.

If you listen to the panelist, you can tell that this American woman has a thick accent. She's from Lebanon. In Milbank's world, she's just described as "of a group called ACT! for America" before this section is introduced. She's not described as an immigrant who assumes the Muslim woman is also American and who is asking for the purpose of making sure her use of the first person plural is correct.

thefederalist.com

#8 | Posted by JeffJ at 2014-06-17 04:23 PM | Reply | Flag:

Of course, one has to be willing to focus the blame unfairly to begin with.

#9 | Posted by Corky at 2014-06-17 04:23 PM | Reply | Flag:

I'm not so sure that "taunting" is the correct word. The article doesn't make the case for taunting, in the very least. Sensationalism. In fact, milbank uses the same example twice, but the second time he tries to frame it in a sinister light, but fails.

I fail to see how this is different from any other rally, speech, panel discussion as far as how she was treated. Oh, she was a woman and a scarf wearer...that's built in sympathy points from the left. If only she were a single mom they'd really be on to something.

#10 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2014-06-17 04:23 PM | Reply | Flag:

Sounds like what happens amongst any gathering of yahoos. Even the question/comments he points out as somehow crazy have been speculated about here by lefties (arms swap, watching on live feed/having a live feed). Sure one or two were off the wall, but what do you expect at a meeting where politics and scandal are the draw?
This is liberal media in action.

#11 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2014-06-17 04:26 PM | Reply | Flag:

RE:#8

What gives away the whole article, is the way the quotes are diced and sliced.

Whenever an article does that, its probably full of partisanship, and the readers soak it up with confirmation bias, both sides do this.

#12 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-06-17 04:27 PM | Reply | Flag:

It's pointless to argue with the posters here or the panel/audience in these events. Islam is evil. Large swaths of Muslims are hell-bent on destroying us. Believe in Sharia, and you are a terrorist or pre-terrorist.

And most importantly, every attack is done by a well-coordinated, well-organized, and structured terrorist organization with identical beliefs and goals.

Oh and they hate us for our Freedoms.

#13 | Posted by Sycophant at 2014-06-17 05:14 PM | Reply | Flag:

It's funny sycophant,

Everything you said is true and you act like it isn't.

structured terrorist organization with identical beliefs and goals

The only thing identical is their belief in Islam and what it's telling them to do..

#14 | Posted by boaz at 2014-06-17 05:40 PM | Reply | Flag:

I don't know that it was taunting. I'd say it was caustic.

#15 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2014-06-17 05:45 PM | Reply | Flag:

Oh, Milbank, quit being such a wimp.

I'm a left leaner myself, but I don't think this was taunting. It was uncomfortable for this young woman asking the questions, I'm sure. But I actually thought Brigitte Gabriel made some good points.

The majority of Muslims are peaceful, no question. That and $4.25 will get you some fancy coffee drink. The problem is, there is a sizable minority that wants to kill us all, and also kill others who are not Muslim (see Kenya), or not the right sect of Muslim (see Iraq, Iran, etc.). I think "irrelevant" was a poor choice of words to describe the peaceful ones, but "ineffective" sure seems to fit. Somehow this peaceful majority needs to take charge, because the violent minority is making them look bad.

Near the end, the law student held her ground, arguing that more war is not the solution. "How can we ever win this thing if we don't address it ideologically?" she said - and I agree. So she made good points too.

While I'm sure I'd probably disagree with Heritage Foundation panel on virtually everything else, including its obsession with Benghazi, I think Milbank is being whiny here. It's time we had these awkward discussions.

#16 | Posted by cbob at 2014-06-17 06:14 PM | Reply | Flag:

There seem to be only a handful of Muslim countries where the people are happy.

The rest seem to be violence filled and they seem to export their brand of Islam to western countries at an alarming rate.

#17 | Posted by Tor at 2014-06-17 06:24 PM | Reply | Flag:

There are Jihadist Muslims and they are very dangerous, deranged people and that is terrible. No excuses should be made for them and we need to fight them wherever they threaten us.
That said, these right wingers who ganged up on this woman are rude jerks, they always will be, it's who they are. You can make all the excuses for them you want but sorry, to me, it does seem that most right wingers do have a mean streak.

#18 | Posted by danni at 2014-06-17 07:04 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

We are the violent offenders who have killed and maimed more people in recent history than any other religion.

It saddens me that we cannot reflect on the footprint we leave around the world and project onto others the sins of our leaders.

Who happen to be christian.

#19 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2014-06-17 07:05 PM | Reply | Flag:

"It would appear to me that a christian nation is responsible for the carnage that has been occurring in the ME for at least two decades."

I'd have to agree with you but add quite a few more decades. Many of the boundaries in the ME were drawn by colonial powers in the early decades of the 20th century.

#20 | Posted by danni at 2014-06-17 07:15 PM | Reply | Flag:

The women-victim is an educated adult, yet she foolishly attends at a meeting held by a well known loony right-wing hate group. If she expected a friendly and courteous reception she is more than a little naïve.

#21 | Posted by SammyAZ_RI at 2014-06-17 07:46 PM | Reply | Flag:

This kind of thing is why Republicans are fading nationally -- they'd rather demonize minorities and drive them all to the Democrats than make their party more inclusive.

These Republicans had a chance to reach out to this Muslim woman and show they respect her for asking the question, even if they have differences with her viewpoint. Instead she's berated from the stage and asked the profoundly bigoted question, "Are you an American?"

So thank you, Heritage Foundation, for helping push the non-white Democratic vote a few more tenths of a percent higher.

#22 | Posted by rcade at 2014-06-17 07:47 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

#5 | Posted by boaz

Welfare cheats? As though you don't look down on legitimate black welfare recipients with disgust...

#23 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-06-17 07:48 PM | Reply | Flag:

Golly, that's way more Jews than were bringing down Germany in the 1930s!

#24 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-06-17 07:53 PM | Reply | Flag:

You're right, Rcade. This incident right here is why republicans are fading nationally. They definitely demonized that minority. I can not believe she wasn't killed by the vitriol.

#25 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2014-06-17 08:13 PM | Reply | Flag:

Want to make a wing ding go ballistic?

Speak softly (and respectfully).

The more you continue to speak softly (and respectfully) the more enraged and disrespectful they become.

Try it sometime.

It is a very interesting phenomenon.

#26 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-06-17 08:20 PM | Reply | Flag:

You liberals are sick.

#27 | Posted by boaz at 2014-06-17 08:24 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 2

Townhall has this story at the top of their page.

townhall.com

They also have a link to the unedited video of the incident.

Leftie lie machine at work. But don't take my word for it, the video was liked for a reason. Make up your own mind.

#28 | Posted by USAF242 at 2014-06-17 08:30 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

1 billion christians are dedicated to the destruction of the world... not just the western world.

#29 | Posted by klifferd at 2014-06-17 08:33 PM | Reply | Flag:

every conservative christian in america is dedicated to the destruction of america itself.

#30 | Posted by klifferd at 2014-06-17 08:34 PM | Reply | Flag:

hey man.. its just stereotypes that's leading me to this conclusion.

#31 | Posted by klifferd at 2014-06-17 08:35 PM | Reply | Flag:

Your sarcasm has zinged me. I am zung.

The way this woman was treated will be seen by lots of Muslims. It will further the impression that the right in this country views them all as terrorists and terrorist enablers who aren't even real Americans.

They had an opportunity not to look like people who hate all Muslims, and instead they reinforced that perception.

#32 | Posted by rcade at 2014-06-17 09:03 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Step one is rolling your eyes as someone with a different opinion tells you what they think.
Step five is talking over them as they try to express their opinion.
Step ten is saying lalalalala when they try to express their opinion.
STep 100 is violently reacting to an opinion you don't agree with.
Step 1000 is to strap bombs to your body because you feel you and your people have been ignored by the world for too long.

It's just a matter of the degree of frustration. I think the world should start listening real hard, real fast. We've tried bombs, we've tried invasions, they don't work. Maybe we better try to start hearing what is really causing terrorism.
Riyhad, Saudi ARabia was where George H.W. Bush decided to build a base. Osama Bin Laden believed that putting that base there was an abomination against his Muslim faith. We had female truck drivers driving without head coverings, etc. We got 9-11 because we were so insensitive to the beliefs of the Saudi Arabian Muslims.
Perhaps we should expect our governmental leaders to use the same level of intelligence that any corporation would expect their marketing department to have when rolling out a new product in any new market.

#33 | Posted by danni at 2014-06-17 09:10 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

#27 | Posted by boaz

Whew, such a a relief. For a minute there I was worried!

Anyway, when do you think Obama's going to pull the rug out from under America?

Or is Obama just the "obvious" Kenyan Muslim sent up there to distract you and it's actually Hillary that's going to impose Sharia law?

#34 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-06-17 09:28 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

A young, intelligent Muslim woman in hijab automatically has many an enemy in America. Even in this discussion it has prompted one user towards openly hostile and frankly, a violence-tinged reaction.

Her position of strength will further American Muslims' strength, and God willing, this type of activism will occur more and more.

What is colloquially known as the " right wing " in this country is dying, and the death throes are certainly not pretty.

#35 | Posted by ExpectingReign at 2014-06-17 09:33 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

"I'm sure when the muslims take over and start Sharia law, they will be kind to you."

Yeah Boaz, Americans would let that happen. It is absolutely hilarious, as I consider just the channels on my TV, that you think Americans wouldn't destroy anyone who tried to push Sharia law on Americans. They wouldn't last fifteen minutes in this country. Those pushing Sharia law are deathly afraid that their "believers" will get a chance to experience western freedom because it will destroy their power almost overnight.

#36 | Posted by danni at 2014-06-17 09:36 PM | Reply | Flag:

He was clarifying so that he didn't address her inappropriately.

We have a huge influx of people entering this country illegally and they are NOT American. We also have a substantial number of people in this country who are not Americans but are here legally.

It was a legitimate question to ask a Lebanese woman with a thick accent in the context of addressing her remarks.

#37 | Posted by JeffJ at 2014-06-17 10:14 PM | Reply | Flag:

"We have a huge influx of people entering this country illegally and they are NOT American."

Define American. I'm afraid that many of those who are considered illegal aliens are more, legitimately, American that you or I. Inconvenient but does that make it deniable? These people have ancestors going back thousands of years in America, can us short term immigrants claim a more important link to this nation?

#38 | Posted by danni at 2014-06-17 11:02 PM | Reply | Flag:

Perhaps he should have said "American citizen"

#39 | Posted by eberly at 2014-06-17 11:11 PM | Reply | Flag:

I wonder if by peaceful she means she would be unwilling to fight against the Islamists who wage global war in the name of a religion she chooses to share.

I would rather her be warlike, and want to nuke them into oblivion.

"And quite frankly, I don't think she was taunted. Her religion was taken to task and because she is a member of it, her as well."

And there were probably National Socialists as well who were good people and disgusted by Hitler's programs. But the fact that they associated themselves with that organization would have made them suspect. One would have to be crazy not to do so.

#40 | Posted by madbomber at 2014-06-17 11:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

...start Sharia law...

A sharia fantasy.

#41 | Posted by et_al at 2014-06-18 02:31 AM | Reply | Flag:

#18 | POSTED BY DANNI AT 2014-06-17 07:04 PM | FLAG:

Right Wing Conservative rule the Middle East.

Their mean streaks have turned that region into a miserable place to live.

#42 | Posted by ClownShack at 2014-06-18 03:00 AM | Reply | Flag:

She is going a good job of helping right-wingers exercise their First Amendment right to speak their disgusting spiteful thoughts. Plenty of examples in this thread. You go, girl!

#43 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-06-18 03:40 AM | Reply | Flag:

People like this and American conservatives in general wish really bad all Muslims were like the jihadists so they can have yet another excuse to go on a bloody murder war spree.

Christians are jealous of jihadists right now. So much for that bullcrap they claim is love.

#44 | Posted by klifferd at 2014-06-18 06:45 AM | Reply | Flag:

Examples

"I would rather her be warlike, and want to nuke them into oblivion."

"Panelist Brigitte Gabriel of a group called ACT! for America pounced. She said "180 million to 300 million" Muslims are "dedicated to the destruction of Western civilization."

Let's break down their thought process, if you can call it though.
They even make up bullshit numbers. Hey we have been killing roughly a million civilians the last ten years so Why are they angry? It must be their religion. Look their numbers are growing even though we bomb their women and children, I don't get it?

#45 | Posted by klifferd at 2014-06-18 06:54 AM | Reply | Flag:

"The most danger to this world comes from conservatives. May they be Muslim or Christian."

What about atheists like me? Where do I fit in? I'm pretty conservative.

And refresh my memory who it is killing Muslims in Iraq? Other Muslims, right?

One might say that the biggest threat to a Muslim is another Muslim.

#46 | Posted by madbomber at 2014-06-18 08:13 AM | Reply | Flag:

the biggest threat to a muslim is another muslim that america has given weapons to...

#47 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2014-06-18 08:18 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

"What about atheists like me? Where do I fit in? I'm pretty conservative."

you fit in with people who use christians to further your corporatist interests with no regard for humanity.

#48 | Posted by klifferd at 2014-06-18 08:46 AM | Reply | Flag:

#27 | POSTED BY BOAZ AT 2014-06-17 08:24 PM | REPLY | FLAG:

What's it like to live in soaked pants every day?

#49 | Posted by 726 at 2014-06-18 09:02 AM | Reply | Flag:

Can't shed enough blood in the name of God.

#50 | Posted by tiger150 at 2014-06-18 09:12 AM | Reply | Flag:

#2 | POSTED BY BOAZ AT 2014-06-17 04:12 PM | REPLY | FLAG:

In your rush to broadbrush all Muslims as violent extremist you make yourself look extremely stupid.

Of course you have no idea what her views of the Muslim on Muslim violence in Iraq is, but you still use it to attack her for speaking out.

Freedom of speech is only for some people in your eyes. Everyone else needs to be shouted down.

What a sad person you are.

I don't think she was taunted.
#4 | POSTED BY BOAZ AT 2014-06-17 04:15 PM | REPLY | FLAG:

Of course "you" don't. But then again your never ended and irrational fear of everything Islam blinds you to the reality around you.

#51 | Posted by 726 at 2014-06-18 09:57 AM | Reply | Flag:

But still they have no idea why minorities will not vote for them.

No idea.

It is the minorities fault.

The GOP... always the victim.

#52 | Posted by 726 at 2014-06-18 10:00 AM | Reply | Flag:

Whatever 726...

You continue to appease them. Keep giving them an inch. And I'm sure, 60 years from now, when extremist muslims are marching on New York, they are going to be kind to your liberal family members. When society has fallen apart because they have bombed malls and schools, I'm sure they will be kind to the gays. And when they are beheading the infidels, I'm sure your female family members wont have to be in public without a male. They will be kind, remember?

And I bet, it's then, your family members will be looking for an American patriot to defend them..

#53 | Posted by boaz at 2014-06-18 11:24 AM | Reply | Flag:

You're comparing Muslims to Nazis.
You're a disgrace.

#54 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-06-18 01:41 PM | Reply | Flag:

When society has fallen apart because they have bombed malls and schools

Even the right-wing voucher schools? Say it ain't so!

#55 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-06-18 01:45 PM | Reply | Flag:

"when extremist muslims are marching on New York"

hahahha.. nyc is the last place extremists want to be in.. other muslims would turn them in to the police department..

right now its christians doing the marching.

#56 | Posted by klifferd at 2014-06-18 01:54 PM | Reply | Flag:

i would say, with his posts on this thread, boaz has officially gone off the deep end...

...but perhaps his mental swimming pool has two deep ends, and we are just witnessing the deeper of the two.

i noticed that token muslim guy posting at #35 called his anti-muslim rants out for being "violence-tinged"

lol, you know you are going a bit to the extreme when a muslim calls you out for excessively violent rhetoric.

#57 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2014-06-18 02:07 PM | Reply | Flag:

I would rather her be warlike, and want to nuke them into oblivion.

Would rounding them up and placing them in concentration camps be an acceptable alternative?

#58 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-06-18 03:17 PM | Reply | Flag:

You're comparing Muslims to Nazis.
You're a disgrace.

#54 | Posted by snoofy

Not only do they compare Muslims to Nazis they want the USA to be just like them.

These nuts are a disgrace and an embarrassment to the civilized world.

#59 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-06-18 06:20 PM | Reply | Flag:

#5 | Posted by boaz at 2014-06-17 04:16 PM

Except she went to Washington, whereas you...

#60 | Posted by e1g1 at 2014-06-18 09:54 PM | Reply | Flag:

#57 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2014-06-18

The finest of perfumes always attract the ugliest of flies.

#61 | Posted by Sord at 2014-06-19 07:10 AM | Reply | Flag: