Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Dave Zirin, The Nation: It was like a scene from some heavy-handed satire, directed by a wannabe Luis Bunuel. Rio's military police were marching down the Avenida Maracana pounding their shields with their batons in a perfect, practiced rhythm. They had positioned themselves roughly a block and a half away from a group of about 500 World Cup protesters marching behind a banner that read, "FIFA Go Home." The protesters were trying to get as close as possible to legendary Maracana Stadium, which was about to host a World Cup game for the first time in 64 years.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

There is a narrative already emerging from this World Cup -- even after just a week -- that the protests are effectively nonexistent. Everyone is just in a party mood, and the demos are a shadow compared to last year's Confederations Cup uprising that saw more than 1 million people in the streets. Yes, it is certainly true that the numbers are smaller in comparison to the ones a year ago -- hundreds and low thousands instead of hundreds of thousands -- but tonight I had a taste why that was the case. It's not quiescence. It's fear.

Comments

The Brazilian government and police forces do not intend to be embarrassed while it hosts the biggest party on Earth.

#1 | Posted by moder8 at 2014-06-17 12:08 PM | Reply | Flag:

When I read the headline, I assumed the signs were in Spanish, and I thought, wouldn't it be funny if some of them were embarrassingly mistranslated.

Which of course led to Romanes eunt domus, as it always must.

#2 | Posted by TheTom at 2014-06-17 01:24 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Everyone is just in a party mood, " - FTA

Wait until Brazil loses to Mexico today...

#3 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-06-17 04:15 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

Final: Mexico 0, Brazil 0.

#4 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-06-17 04:54 PM | Reply | Flag:

What happened? I sat down with a bowl of cheetohs, turned the game on, and I don't remember anything until a commercial just woke me up.

#5 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2014-06-17 04:57 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

"What happened?"

Nothing.

#6 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-06-17 05:28 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

South Korea vs. Russia on now. Let's hope they stick it to Putin.

#7 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-06-17 06:04 PM | Reply | Flag:

Russian team looks really good.

#8 | Posted by rearendhat at 2014-06-17 06:19 PM | Reply | Flag:

Let's hope they stick it to Putin.
#7 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN

SoKo's are just the guys to do it too!

#9 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-06-17 06:19 PM | Reply | Flag:

Korea scores!!!

#10 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-06-17 07:24 PM | Reply | Flag:

Nothing.

This doesn't look like nothing to me:

twitter.com

#11 | Posted by rcade at 2014-06-17 08:50 PM | Reply | Flag:

Gooooooooaaaal!

#12 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-06-18 03:20 PM | Reply | Flag:

Chile is putting the heat on Spain.

#13 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-06-18 03:25 PM | Reply | Flag:

Spain is falling apart..

#14 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-06-18 03:33 PM | Reply | Flag:

#11 | POSTED BY RCADE

That was a great save, and game!...... It was interesting watching the ebb and flow of the game. The Mexicans really had the Brazilians on the run, but could never make a "serious" run at them. Firing off from the top of the box wasn't even interesting.

Is it me, or do SA teams just not very good at passing game like European teams. The Mex-Bzl game seemed chaotic.

#15 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-06-18 03:42 PM | Reply | Flag:

Goooooaaaaal!

#16 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-06-18 03:44 PM | Reply | Flag:

"That was a great save, and game!..."

It was a great save, but not enough goals, in fact, none. Stanley Cup is more exciting.

#17 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-06-18 04:05 PM | Reply | Flag:

I dont need goals so much..... I know we have the scoring debate...

But even a good US football game being a defensive struggle is great....

I have always enjoyed Hockey, but my issue is with Soccer you think to your self, yeah, I could do that....... its about the only sport I can say that these days and have my denial go unquestioned.

#18 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-06-18 04:26 PM | Reply | Flag:

Coming back from a 2-0 deficit is almost impossible in the World Cup. Compare to the Stanley Cup where the Kings came back from numerous 2-0 deficits.

#19 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-06-18 04:27 PM | Reply | Flag:

Heads are going to roll in Spain... my little cutie from TravelGirls is really upset...

#20 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-06-18 04:29 PM | Reply | Flag:

#19 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN

Don't bring up the Kings.... they piss me off..... jurks should have just stayed down..... San Jose.... oh man,... now I am pissed and have some coding to do..... knucklehead.

#21 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-06-18 04:30 PM | Reply | Flag:

".... San Jose..."

You wouldn't see a soccer team come back from 3-0 in a 7 game series.

#22 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-06-18 04:37 PM | Reply | Flag:

You wouldn't see a soccer team come back from 3-0 in a 7 game series.
#22 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN

Shouldn'ta seen it in the NHL either ;)

#23 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-06-18 04:39 PM | Reply | Flag:

What in the hell happened? Last thing I remember I was watching "highlights" of the World Cup, and the next thing I know I woke up on the couch.

#24 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2014-06-18 04:40 PM | Reply | Flag:

RE:#24

Nothing... now get back to sleep.... we will wake you when it gets interesting...

#25 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-06-18 04:42 PM | Reply | Flag:

"What in the hell happened? "

Game was over in the first half.

#26 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-06-18 04:47 PM | Reply | Flag:

I'm expecting Croatia-Cameroon to provide a lot more thrills and chills.

#27 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-06-18 04:50 PM | Reply | Flag:

Go Cameroon! Hope they beat those Nazis.

#28 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-06-18 05:38 PM | Reply | Flag: