Monday, June 16, 2014

Tony Gwynn, who amassed 3,141 hits during a Hall of Fame career with the San Diego Padres, died Monday at a Poway, California, hospital at the age of 54 after battling salivary gland cancer. Gwynn, called the greatest hitter since Ted Williams by many in baseball, had a career .338 batting average, the highest of any retired player since 1939. He won eight batting titles.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

Dave

MORE STORIES

Comments

One of the greatest hitters I've had the pleasure to watch. Can't help but think if he'd had taken better care of himself he'd still be with us. Avoid regular tobacco use, kids.

#1 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2014-06-16 12:12 PM | Reply | Flag:

wow...I didn't even know he was sick.

sad

#2 | Posted by eberly at 2014-06-16 12:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

Hell of a hitter.

#3 | Posted by Dalton at 2014-06-16 12:35 PM | Reply | Flag:

One of the all time greats. Watch him score the winning run in the '94 all star game. The Padres were always so awful, the run was the happiest I ever saw him.

www.youtube.com

Just yesterday, Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com wrote this story about Gwynn, his son Tony Gwynn, Jr. and their relationship as Gwynn battled cancer. Gwynn Jr. said it had gotten tougher of late, and that his father's condition had deteriorated.

www.csnphilly.com

#4 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2014-06-16 12:39 PM | Reply | Flag:

Gwynn turned down offers from other teams that would have paid him more than the Padres could afford, but he loved San Diego and didn't want to leave, so he was paid far less than he was worth both to baseball and the people of San Diego. He will go down in history as one of the greatest contact hitters, but his legacy will be one of being one of the greatest gentlemen the game ever produced.

RIP, Mr. Padre.

#5 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2014-06-16 12:48 PM | Reply | Flag:

The classiest man to play the game in the modern era. San Diego State University has lost a great coach and mentor. As a native San Diegan for 32 years, I feel like I've lost a close friend. He was the reason we went to watch Padres games during the long stretch of poor Padres teams in the early 90s.

And they just commemorated a microbrew for him at Petco Park, named it .394 after his batting average in the 1994 strike shortened season.

I'm taking this a lot hard than I thought I would.

#6 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-06-16 12:56 PM | Reply | Flag:

My favorite hitter and one of my favorite baseball players ever. What a shame.

#7 | Posted by rcade at 2014-06-16 01:03 PM | Reply | Flag:

They've been all hush-hush about his health lately. I guess we know why.

#8 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-06-16 01:04 PM | Reply | Flag:

" The Padres were always so awful"

Uh, Gwynn went to the World Series twice with the "always awful" Padres.

#9 | Posted by Harry_Powell at 2014-06-16 01:12 PM | Reply | Flag:

Two World Series losses in 19 years don't make the Padres any less awful.

This is about celebrating Tony Gwynn. Keep your glaring ----------- at bay for at least this thread.

#10 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2014-06-16 01:16 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

"The Padres were always so awful"

He's what made it worth being a Padres fan. I'm not sure I would have learned averages and statistics as early on in my life as I did if it wasn't for interest in Tony Gwynn and his hitting ability.

#12 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-06-16 01:19 PM | Reply | Flag:

He was a great hitter. I enjoyed the interviews he did with Ted Williams. It was great watching those two talk shop.

#13 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2014-06-16 01:25 PM | Reply | Flag:

The 1999 All Star game when they celebrated the living legends with Ted Williams and Tony Gwynn on the mound was probably one of the greatest moments in the history of baseball. Thick irony considering the celebration of hits and batting average during the height of steroidal home runs.

#14 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-06-16 01:29 PM | Reply | Flag:

only player i remember retiring after an "off-year" batting average of .324... (!)

here are some mind boggling stats:

hit over .309 in every season (19 seasons consecutive) except his rookie year.
sported a .369 batting average from 1994-1997. four consecutive frikkin' years hitting nearly .370!!!! wtf!!!

struck out only 430 times in a twenty year career. it takes sluggers like adam dunn, mark reynolds, pedro alvarez, et al less than 2 1/2 seasons to exceed that number! WTF!!!

top 5 in batting average for 13 seasons. wtf?!?!

struck out once out of every 21.40 at bats: #92 all-time. the closest current player? alberto callaspo, who k's once every 10.09 ab. currently #654 on the all-time list!!!

but the biggest wtf number is this: highest salary: $6.3 million (2000)

#15 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2014-06-16 01:41 PM | Reply | Flag:

The epitome of a hall-of-famer.

RIP, Mr. Gwynn.

#16 | Posted by Dave at 2014-06-16 02:05 PM | Reply | Flag:

#15 | POSTED BY NERFHERDER

He also never struck out against Greg Maddux. I always thought that was pretty amazing.

#17 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-06-16 02:27 PM | Reply | Flag:

"He also never struck out against Greg Maddux.""

well, la-di-da, me neither!

#18 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2014-06-16 02:30 PM | Reply | Flag:

"He also never struck out against Greg Maddux."

well, la-di-da, me neither!
#18 | POSTED BY NERFHERDER

Tony Gwynn never struck out in 94 at bats against Maddux (hitting .415 with a .476 on base percentage). You had zero at bat against Maddux, period.

There's the difference.

#19 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-06-16 02:39 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Should read, the 2nd highest, Ted Williams had the highest at .344
I beleive

#20 | Posted by SammyAZ_RI at 2014-06-16 02:40 PM | Reply | Flag:

Tony Gwynn Struck out 434 times in his career he sucked... :)

#22 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-06-16 02:49 PM | Reply | Flag:

"You had zero at bat against Maddux, period. "

elementary, my dear watson!

#23 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2014-06-16 02:51 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Gwynn .."had a career .338 batting average, the highest of any retired player since 1939"

baseball is the only game where you can fail 66.2% of the time and still be called an all-time great.

#25 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2014-06-16 02:54 PM | Reply | Flag:

#25 | POSTED BY NERFHERDER

Just goes to show how difficult it is to hit a round ball with a round piece of wood.

BTW:

While Maddux will be most remembered for being part of the Braves' deadly 90s rotation with fellow inductee Tom Glavine and John Smoltz, he was one of the many older pitchers who were drawn to San Diego by the beautiful weather and spacious outfield of Petco Park. From 2007 to August of 2008, Padres fans cheered for him. It was a little weird. You might even be wondering why it's worth writing this blog post. It's because there was one batter that Maddux absolutely hated facing. From the Washington Post:

But if a pitcher can change speeds, every hitter is helpless, limited by human vision.

"Except," Maddux said, "for that [expletive] Tony Gwynn."

Oh, come on, Greg. Don't be whiny. It couldn't have been that bad. What does Baseball Reference say Tony hit against you? .

415 BA and .476 OBP

Oh. Well, don't feel too bad. Lot's of people faced Tony over 50 times without striking him out. Like... uh... huh. I guess it's just you and... Rick Mahler?

I take it back. Swear all you want, Greg. Mr. Padre got you good.

www.gaslampball.com

#26 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-06-16 02:59 PM | Reply | Flag:

'The key to hitting is to take a round bat and a round ball and hit it square.'

Ted Williams

#28 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2014-06-16 03:02 PM | Reply | Flag:

#21 Not in San Diego he wasn't. He transcended race in that town. I doubt there were but a few people who wouldn't have been proud to have him as a friend. He was Every Man.

#33 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2014-06-16 03:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

he reminded me of some musicians I know..

he worked his BUTT OFF to become a 'natural' hitter.....

#34 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2014-06-16 03:23 PM | Reply | Flag:

54 years...dead...and he was good shape?

And me all out of shape and still alive. (well I am IN a shape but it is a weird shape)

go figure...

anyway RIP and thanks for the greatest hits.

#35 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-06-16 04:03 PM | Reply | Flag:

Should read, the 2nd highest, Ted Williams had the highest at .344
I beleive

#36 | Posted by SammyAZ_RI at 2014-06-16 04:19 PM | Reply | Flag:

I don't think he was in good shape...I THINK I saw him on baseball network and he was FAT and not in shape at all...if that matters.

#37 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2014-06-16 04:23 PM | Reply | Flag:

#37 | POSTED BY AFKABL2

He had wait issues. But it was ultimately the chewing tobacco that did him in. Mouth cancer (salivary gland?) since 2009. He had just started up another round of chemo. He also had just signed a contract extension as head coach at San Diego Sate University last week. So with that news coming out, this is a little unexpected to say the least.

#38 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-06-16 04:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

*weight issues

#39 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-06-16 04:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

I guess my BB card collection just moved up a little in value.

#40 | Posted by rearendhat at 2014-06-16 06:23 PM | Reply | Flag:

#42 | POSTED BY 101CHAIRBORNE

I don't get it. What's the point?

#43 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-06-16 06:35 PM | Reply | Flag:

'The key to hitting is to take a round bat and a round ball and hit it square.'

Ted Williams

#28 | Posted by lee_the_agent

Yeah--and hit it where they ain't...(Bull Durham)

#44 | Posted by MURPHY at 2014-06-16 09:56 PM | Reply | Flag:

A super baseball player and really good egg.

#45 | Posted by MURPHY at 2014-06-16 09:56 PM | Reply | Flag: