Friday, June 13, 2014

Heba Said, the opinion editor for The Shorthorn student newspaper at UT-Arlington, attended the GOP convention dressed in her Muslim veil. It didn't go well. "After two days at the convention, the only emotions I could describe were anger and disappointment," she writes. "I attended the convention as a reporter hoping to tell readers about the panel discussions I attended, but I discovered a cult-like hatred that is simply disgusting. ... I was referred to as 'you people' and 'y'all Muslims' more times than I can count."

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

Bud Kennedy of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram writes more about Said's experience.

Said ends her commentary, "To the man who followed me into the IHOP bathroom after calling me a terrorist, to the woman who said she would see me in Hell at the grocery store, to the girl who pulled my hijab off my head during a fire drill in ninth grade, and to the hundreds of people who have asked me where I'm really from -- I am an American. The question is, are you?"

Comments

lol, i've been to dallas a bunch of times recently -- the muslims there are taking over the northern suburbs. i hope all the gop texans are starting to sweat...

it's gonna be ironic in a few decades when all those displaced rednecks start joining al qaeda influenced christian terror groups...

#1 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2014-06-13 12:32 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

- I am an American. The question is, are you?"

Good question.

The land of the free and the home of the brave has been politically fearmongered into being the land of the me! and the home of the afraid.

#2 | Posted by Corky at 2014-06-13 12:36 PM | Reply | Flag:

She found what she was looking for. She should compare notes with Lara Logan.

#3 | Posted by visitor_ at 2014-06-13 12:49 PM | Reply | Flag:

That's one hell of an ugly comment, Visitor. You think Lara Logan was looking to be assaulted by a group of men in Tahrir Square?

#4 | Posted by rcade at 2014-06-13 01:10 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 2

I like how she is still hurting over having her ninja masked yanked her freshman year in high school. Get over it, you professional grievance monger.

#5 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2014-06-13 01:16 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 2

She should have shown up in a burqa and an AR-15.

#6 | Posted by Harry_Powell at 2014-06-13 01:20 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

RCADE, I'm sorry. I didn't make my point clear. I'm trying to say the treatment of Heba was congenial by comparison.

#7 | Posted by visitor_ at 2014-06-13 01:21 PM | Reply | Flag:

Fear of the unfamiliar does bring out a lot of ugliness in people. Just look at #5.

#8 | Posted by Corky at 2014-06-13 01:21 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

-She should have shown up in a burqa and an AR-15.

Then she would have been acceptable as an open weapon carry protester.

#9 | Posted by Corky at 2014-06-13 01:23 PM | Reply | Flag:

Haven't yall heard? Texas is the most awesome state! Therefore racist xenaphobia is AWESOME!

Land of the free!*

*free to live a white, christian, redneck cowboy lifestyle. All others subject to review.

#10 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2014-06-13 01:27 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 2 | Newsworthy 1

WHERE were you people during POPS interview last night after the SPURS DESTROYED the heat like we're gonna DESTROY HILLARY..

some writer from India I think it was asked a stupid question about who POPS thought was his MVP for the finals...he smirked and said "Next question"...

where is you outrage THERE?? aha ha ha...

sorry...but that's about as silly as this thread...

and CORKY....we're very familiar with that "peaceful" religion of Islam......

and you wanna know about being uncomfortable in a situation like this?? ask anyone from the right OR fox at a democrat meeting or function.......cause they're normally treated like ...well you know what.

SO LADY !!!...can't take it...tough !!!

#11 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2014-06-13 01:31 PM | Reply | Flag:

She should have shown up in a burqa and an AR-15.

Then she would have been acceptable as an open weapon carry protester.

#9 | Posted by Corky at 2014-0

hey this is actually kind of funny......

and then of course SPEAK brings us back to reality...the reality called "TEXAS ENVY"...it's related to that other envy....hee heeee

#12 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2014-06-13 01:34 PM | Reply | Flag:

This reporters story sounds like some of the stories I used to read from a reporter named Glass. It too perfectly fits the template some of us would like to see. Far from the intellectual simpletons the elites of the far coasts consider us, we are successfully making Texas and the Midwest the center of political power in this country. Perception is reality and the perception of the left by many of us is that of failure. Every where the left rules over this country is becoming synonymous with failure, waste and corruption. I would think people who are politically active and have a fair amount of change,(Texan=possess a degree of wealth) would be so naive as to do anything but go out of their way to be Texas nice,(a superficial, overly gracious behavior one gives to prevent a rival's gain). Now there a few sore heads,(Texan=irritable loud mouth) who might get ugly,(Texan=rude), but any large gathering will have some, and there are ways to keep them from embarrassing the rest with bad press. We might talk too loud, and drink too fast, but naive isn't a trait as far as I know associated with Texas. I think this young woman saw exactly what you would have expected to see.

#13 | Posted by docnjo at 2014-06-13 01:35 PM | Reply | Flag:

-hee heeee

There is a chemical for that.

#14 | Posted by Corky at 2014-06-13 01:36 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

#12 | Posted by afkabl2

I envy texas residents like I envy herpes patients.

But watching your state slowly turn latino and them majority democrat will be a long amusing process for me as redneck heads explode like popcorn.

Hee hee.

#15 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2014-06-13 01:37 PM | Reply | Flag:

- Every where the left rules over this country is becoming synonymous with failure, waste and corruption.

Actually, they have become synonymous with states that are net federal givers while the redneck states are net takers.

#16 | Posted by Corky at 2014-06-13 01:38 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 3

I mean, Texas back in the days of Molly Ivans, Anne Richards, Shirley Chisholm, and Jim Hightower, among others, at least had a modicum of integrity and respect.

In the days of Bush and Perry and Cruz, it is an embarrassment.

#17 | Posted by Corky at 2014-06-13 01:41 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

good speak...and in the meantime...keep that bigot thing going....

hee hee

#18 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2014-06-13 01:42 PM | Reply | Flag:

right corkster....

of course when you put the magic phrase "PER CAPITA" in front of that...you get a completely 'nother thang'.

#19 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2014-06-13 01:43 PM | Reply | Flag:

and yeah we're nothing but rednecks...

at the table with me and tables around me at the track....there's "S" from iraq...a couple of guys from Jamaca....some guy from eastern europe....and several from that REALLY FOREIGN place..NEW ORLEANS....
along with two tables back some men from south vietnam....ACTUALLY you should hear that section when one of the big races is close and everyone's yelling 'GO BABY GO" all at the same time in about 5 different languages....

so tell this reported to come see me..

#20 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2014-06-13 01:47 PM | Reply | Flag:

and yeah we're nothing but rednecks...

#20 | Posted by afkabl2

Don't be so hard on yourself. Don't forget you've also got a ton of businessmen who relocated there in order to be able to abuse their employees.

#21 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2014-06-13 01:59 PM | Reply | Flag:

Cripes I have to go to Dallas for business next week. Really really not looking forward to it. Grown men dressing up as cowboys, etc etc...geez. Plus it's damn hot there too.

#22 | Posted by DCinMA at 2014-06-13 02:40 PM | Reply | Flag:

I'll never get over how grown adults can be so frightful and hateful of a veil. A veil!

Children aren't frightened by veils.

#23 | Posted by Derek_Wildstar at 2014-06-13 02:51 PM | Reply | Flag:

#22 | Posted by DCinMA

It really is hilarious isn't it?
Businessmen in SUVs dressed in cowboy hats and boots - items designed for people riding horses in the hot sun. It's like a giant costume party but they don't feel silly because so many other dudes are playing along.

Imagine if businessmen in Maine all wore lobster fishing gear. Rubber wading boots and raincoats all the time. Or if businessmen in Iowa all wore demim overalls like farmers. But for some reason playing make-believe 24/7 is acceptable in texas.

#24 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2014-06-13 02:55 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 2

All hat, no cattle.

#25 | Posted by Corky at 2014-06-13 03:00 PM | Reply | Flag:

"To the man who followed me into the IHOP bathroom after calling me a terrorist, to the woman who said she would see me in Hell at the grocery store, to the girl who pulled my hijab off my head during a fire drill in ninth grade, and to the hundreds of people who have asked me where I'm really from"

Unless she has it on tape, I don't believe it. Sounds more like an Al Sharpton story, but I'm sure the bleeders and haters will eat it up and regurgitate it.

#26 | Posted by FEARTHEKOOLAID at 2014-06-13 03:09 PM | Reply | Flag:

"That's like an athlete or somebody butch attending the Dem Convention. Of course they're going to stand out like a sore thumb."

Someone likes 'em butch.

#27 | Posted by Tor at 2014-06-13 03:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

Sorry I misunderstood.

I used to write for The Shorthorn in the '80s. I met my future wife there when we both were on the newspaper staff. It was a terrific student newspaper back then, and I applaud Said for going to the GOP convention and sharing her experience.

#29 | Posted by rcade at 2014-06-13 04:51 PM | Reply | Flag:

The way she was treated is despicable. She wasn't "looking" for anything. She is a Muslim woman who wears hijab. She was not asking people to cheer for her. She just wanted to be left alone to do her job wearing the what she always wear on every other workday. But no. Rightwing -------- had to pour their hatred onto her. Screw the GOP in Texas. What a bunch of jerks.

#30 | Posted by moder8 at 2014-06-13 04:56 PM | Reply | Flag:

Like the song said (Texas version): "And they'll know we are Christians by our hate, by our hate, yes they'll know we are Christians by our hate"...

#31 | Posted by catdog at 2014-06-13 04:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

I don't believe a word she says. I am going to wait for the army investigation. For all you know, the Texas GOP are heroes.
You guys are like a lynch mob. Judge, jury, and executioner.

#32 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2014-06-13 05:08 PM | Reply | Flag:

I guess calling her a liar and disregarding everything she says is a lot easier and feels better for the Texas GOP than taking a long, hard look in the mirror.

#33 | Posted by moder8 at 2014-06-13 05:49 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 2

This gal has learned well from the progressives and lefties. Say anything about those you don't like on your agenda plate to create a story about "poor little me" and those big bad people. This just then verifies the lefties ruminations and justifications. It's just too easy.

#34 | Posted by matsop at 2014-06-13 06:04 PM | Reply | Flag:

Why is it so hard for right-wingers (101, Fear, Matsop) to accept that some of their ilk are bigots? In at least one case it's the bigot doing the denying...

#35 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-06-13 08:10 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

You know the old saying not all republicans are racist, but all racists are republican!
Proven over and over again!

#36 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2014-06-13 11:02 PM | Reply | Flag:

Republicans in Texas when they see a Jew Muslim:

i.dailymail.co.uk

#37 | Posted by dibblda at 2014-06-14 02:12 AM | Reply | Flag:

Not a single quote from an actual person. Not a single photograph. Not a single recorded message.

"Where are you from?"

"Texas."

"Where are you really from?"

Blah blah blah. Maybe the questioner was hoping for, you know, an answer like "San Antonio" or the name of some hellhole in West Texas. But, again, no name. Too much trouble? Or maybe it didn't happen at all? Or maybe you're just a lousy reporter. Wouldn't that add a lot to the story?

So I don't believe her. But I speak for a lot of Americans when I wonder why the hell an American woman--of any faith--would willingly dress up in heavy wool from head to toe in the middle of a Texas summer. Of course you're going to stand out. Maybe instead of asking why Texas GOP people are closed-minded bigots who hate Muslim women, maybe ask the lunatic sheik at the mosque you go to the question instead. At least the GOP isn't telling you to go "under cover" because they're afraid of what might happen if what passes for Islamic masculinity happens to catch a glimpse of your ankle.

#38 | Posted by WhiteDevil at 2014-06-14 02:27 AM | Reply | Flag:

#38 | Posted by WhiteDevil

Why don't you ask texans why they were long jeans, boots, and flannel shirts in hot weather?

Ask them why they wear cowboy hats when they're not working in the sun? Ask them why they wear cowboy boots which are designed for riding horses when they're driving trucks?

The muslim woman wears her clothes for her religion. What explains the cowboy costume on non-cowboys?

#39 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2014-06-14 02:53 AM | Reply | Flag:

The shirts aren't flannel. But most of them look stupid too. Are you being small-minded and bigoted for pointing out the fact? Or just observant? That said, plenty of good reasons to wear boots and long pants on jobs that don't involve chasing cows across Texas. The oil business comes immediately to mind, where we're out tramping across dusty, hot, snake-infested woods and swamps. Boots have a purpose besides cattle herding and gay parades. The Army issued me two pairs the first day.

Liberals are funny to watch. They think it's misogynistic if a Western man presumes to tell a woman how to dress and act. But they celebrate Muslims who do the same, to a preposterous degree.

#40 | Posted by WhiteDevil at 2014-06-14 03:18 AM | Reply | Flag:

A new definition of irony has to be a Muslim complaining about "cult-like hatred", in other people.

#41 | Posted by WhiteDevil at 2014-06-14 03:19 AM | Reply | Flag:

The way we dress is a cultural thing, but to clear up some misconceptions. Cowboy boots are not hot and they are extremely comfortable- look at what all the truckers wear, from where ever they come from. Long jeans are for sun protection, as is the hat. Flannel isn't a big seller but sheer cotton shirts are. The weather is different, get over it. It is so interesting to read that some must tease those they see as inferior, Your mama dresses you funny- sounds like a crowd of third graders.

#42 | Posted by docnjo at 2014-06-14 08:05 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1