Thursday, June 12, 2014

Twelve stadiums will host 64 football matches during the month long World Cup tournament in Brazil, which begins today. The Telegraph has prepared this Google Earth flyover of each stadium. Use this discussion for today's World Cup talk.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

Comments

football...lol

#1 | Posted by donnerboy at 2014-06-12 03:04 PM | Reply | Flag:

Colossal waste of money on a child's game.

I'd rather watch people play dodgeball or capture the flag.

#2 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2014-06-12 03:05 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 2

I don't care.

#4 | Posted by Zed at 2014-06-12 03:07 PM | Reply | Flag:

Belgium wins the cup.

#5 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2014-06-12 03:30 PM | Reply | Flag:

Germany wins the Cup.

#6 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-06-12 03:43 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Group of Fairness: How the World Cup Would Look With Straight Seeding

grantland.com

#7 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2014-06-12 03:51 PM | Reply | Flag:

First goal of World Cup 2014 ends up being Brazil's first own goal in World Cup history.

#10 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-06-12 04:15 PM | Reply | Flag:

the world cup kicks off and my fellow americans are already whining like sore losermen...

#11 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2014-06-12 04:36 PM | Reply | Flag:

The most fun I ever had in sports was watching my kids play soccer. It is a game where any child can join the pack and develop some skills later. Absolutely hilarious. Not like the pros at all.

#12 | Posted by nutcase at 2014-06-12 04:43 PM | Reply | Flag:

This was not the start that Brazil wanted. In the opening match of the 2014 World Cup, the host nation gifted an unlikely 1-0 lead to Croatia with a shocking own goal. Brazil defender Marcello knocked a Croatia cross into his own net in the 11th minute.

www.huffingtonpost.com

#13 | Posted by nutcase at 2014-06-12 04:52 PM | Reply | Flag:

I really don't care that the world likes soccer. I don't. I like American Football. And I don't need people telling me how great it is and that I should like it just because billions of other idiots like it.

Murica'!

#14 | Posted by boaz at 2014-06-12 05:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

That being said, I do hope the Americans win at least one game.

#15 | Posted by boaz at 2014-06-12 05:19 PM | Reply | Flag:

"I like American Football"

i do too. but not because it is american. because it is damn entertaining. soccer is just as entertaining, even if the riots are (more often than not) more interesting than the actual game that precedes them...

#16 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2014-06-12 05:25 PM | Reply | Flag:

RCADE....I generally support your front page articles as broadly being worthy debatable subjects. But when it comes to Hollywood/entertainment/
sports topics, the reality is that it is created by PTB as fog to keep the public blind and discussing BS instead of the reality of our increasingly corrupt nation.

But since you own the site and all the marbles I respect it and your initiative. I appreciate your general openness to candid discussion from different views and for that you need to be commended.

#17 | Posted by Robson at 2014-06-12 06:33 PM | Reply | Flag:

#2 | Posted by SpeakSoftly

#4 | Posted by Zed

#8 | Posted by MUSTANG

#14 | Posted by boaz

Typical righties...confused by things they don't understand, yet compelled to advertise it.

;0)

#17 | Posted by Robson

Sad, pathetic attitude.

#18 | Posted by Dave at 2014-06-12 06:41 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

I really don't care that the world likes soccer. I don't.

You know, Boaz, it is possible to change your mind about something. I didn't like soccer much either until around 12 years ago. The World Cup made me a convert, and it has become my favorite spectator sport.

Over three billion people are going to watch this tournament. There's no single sporting event on the planet that brings together this much of its people.

At a minimum, you should give the American games a try, preferably at a bar with lots of people. It's a great party.

#19 | Posted by rcade at 2014-06-12 06:53 PM | Reply | Flag:

I was looking at the menu to order my wings and beer missing the first goal. The Japanese official may take some heat for the cards and PK.

#20 | Posted by mattm at 2014-06-12 07:20 PM | Reply | Flag:

Eh,

Soccer not my thing.

#21 | Posted by boaz at 2014-06-12 07:30 PM | Reply | Flag:

Running and dodging and kicking and running and running and running and kicking. Then running back...oh, and dodging...

#22 | Posted by kenx at 2014-06-12 08:31 PM | Reply | Flag:

Go! USA!

But I am with Rsty, Germany.......

I enjoy football, but its right behind cycling, TDF july 5th!
#19 I agree!

#23 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2014-06-12 11:26 PM | Reply | Flag:

You could reduce football the same way. Except there's a lot more standing around.

#24 | Posted by rcade at 2014-06-12 11:27 PM | Reply | Flag:

#24 ~ it's pretty cool when they head butt the ball.

#25 | Posted by kenx at 2014-06-13 06:41 AM | Reply | Flag:

This stuff is so critical to our entertainment based society that money is funneled from the public coffers via politicians to their cronies who build and benefiting from the stadiums.

The ultimate purpose of all of this is to keep the public's mind off of being shafted by crooked politicians and cohorts. The money could go to worthy causes such as curing diseases or rebuilding infrastructure, but that doesn't accomplish their political goal.

#26 | Posted by Robson at 2014-06-13 09:03 AM | Reply | Flag:

#26 | POSTED BY ROBSON

Entertainment is critical for the human psyche. It's simply based upon money. It's run by money and determined by money, but the interest is not solely based on money. Sports allow humans to live out the intrinsic warfare nature without killing each other. We are a competitive species by nature. Sports allows this instinct to be nurtured (good for societal militaristic purposes) as well as mitigated (team work builds corporate structure).

I agree the emphasis may be a bit much. But to suggest we shouldn't entertain ourselves from the realities that implement stressors upon us daily is borderline suicidal, IMO.

#27 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-06-13 01:52 PM | Reply | Flag:

*It's not simply based upon money.

HAPPY FIRDAY evvvvrybody.

#28 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2014-06-13 01:53 PM | Reply | Flag:

Holy crap! I just saw a goal scored.

#29 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-06-13 03:48 PM | Reply | Flag:

Fortunately, the Stanley Cup is on tonight, so you won't have to wait 3 hours to see a goal.

#30 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-06-13 03:59 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

#18 | Posted by Dave

I'm as far from a rightie as you can be.

I'm not CONFUSED by soccer, I'm BORED by it. It's slightly more exciting than golf. Try to tell me the merit of any game that FREQUENTLY ends in a score of 0-0.

Soccer is slow-mo hockey on grass. If you're in to watching dudes do 2 hours of cardio, I guess it could be fun...

#31 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2014-06-13 06:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

#24 | Posted by rcade

American Football is FAR more complex than soccer. It's pacing is far more interesting. It alternates between moments of strategizing (the standing around) and execution (the plays.)

There's a reason soccer is played by children worldwide. It's simple.

I don't even really like hockey because a goal can happen at any moment. You look away and you miss it. Football has a dramatic build as a team approaches the end zone. You can sense it coming and pay extra attention. Turnovers are a big dramatic event. In hockey and soccer turnovers happen every few seconds, back and forth back and forth, yawn, zzzzzz.

#32 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2014-06-13 07:04 PM | Reply | Flag:

"I don't even really like hockey because a goal can happen at any moment. You look away and you miss it."

That's exactly why I'm enjoying this Kings run.

#33 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-06-13 07:09 PM | Reply | Flag:

Kings win!

#34 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-06-14 12:42 AM | Reply | Flag:

"I'm as far from a rightie as you can be."

Yeah, that one sailed right over your head, didn't it?

"American Football is FAR more complex than soccer."

Clearly, you do not understand soccer at all.

#35 | Posted by Dave at 2014-06-14 11:00 AM | Reply | Flag: